Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is MOTOR Magazine Biased?
Yep, Sure are!! Stupid Bribed Journalists!! 121 59.02%
Nope, Ford just need to Improve on there cars 84 40.98%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #61
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What concerns me about Motor over the past few months is a reliance on 'track' assessments, where as in the past they have given equal weight to drivability & 'real world' conditions.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
If you see in 2 min too same models and colours there moving.

Well Holden marketing and sales seem to think otherwise.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #63
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Well Holden marketing and sales seem to think otherwise.
I don't know where it's coming from because i speak to the head dealer at KD holden and he has everything in there show rooms sold. And they just moved a bunch too fleet and private. Only days after the caprice was released i seen a new one with a Doctor driving it, Now thats a change it's normally the big overseas boys they go for.

But you would be mad to not consider a 20-30% reduced price VZ when looking for a new car.
When the VZ Monaro was released they had a $50,000 fully optioned sunroof sat nav SIII Monaro. You would be nuts to over look it.
Old 16-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #64
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

its interesting to note the latest motor mag with BFYB. they include the sv6 but no xr6. why? they have the ss vs the xr6turbo but they also put in the sv6. it came last in its class, got smashed, they canned it, and it came near the back of the entire list of cars tested. i would of thought the xr6 had more power and less weight, so i dont see why it wouldnt be included.
Old 16-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #65
9lives

As a subscriber to the mag i find it great but i do think they favour anything new wheather it be ford or holden i think they are giving more notice to the VE because its the latest thing out...

They were spot on with the evo9 winning its section but.... i cannot stress enough how bloody fantastic they are around a track even if a little hard to live with day to day....i cant imagine it with a set of semi slicks (like the sti)wikid car. :sm_headba
Old 18-10-2006, 02:49 AM   #66
mickey t

good to see some lively debate and a couple of bright spots of reality here.

the rules on BFYB are that if an existing model didn't win its class the previous year, it doesn't go again. any new model gets taken. that's why no atmo XR6 would have been there.

honestly, holden spends a shedload of dough and nearly five years developing an all-new car (well, apart from engines) and Ford has the same chassis it's had (essentially) for the best part of a decade, and some people are surprised that it lost?

shouldn't common sense tell you that, when you've got a car a year away from replacement facing up to a brand spanker, it is going to be up against it? the only chance it would really have is if holden had done an appalling job of the new car. which, by all accounts, it hasn't.

i've yet to drive a VE (don't live in australia anymore) but the results don't surprise me.

the reason you often see slight variations in test results is that, with each new upgrade, holden and ford will introduce things that change the dynamics, the ride quality, the noise levels, the feedback, the quality, the interior materials etc.

they've been leapfrogging each other like this - where one gets a slight advantage, only for the other one to turn it around next time it launches something - for as long as i can remember, and probably always will. the only exception has been when ford had its major stuff up with the AU, which sent Holden a long way in front.
mickey t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #67
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
good to see some lively debate and a couple of bright spots of reality here.

the rules on BFYB are that if an existing model didn't win its class the previous year, it doesn't go again. any new model gets taken. that's why no atmo XR6 would have been there.

honestly, holden spends a shedload of dough and nearly five years developing an all-new car (well, apart from engines) and Ford has the same chassis it's had (essentially) for the best part of a decade, and some people are surprised that it lost?

shouldn't common sense tell you that, when you've got a car a year away from replacement facing up to a brand spanker, it is going to be up against it? the only chance it would really have is if holden had done an appalling job of the new car. which, by all accounts, it hasn't.

i've yet to drive a VE (don't live in australia anymore) but the results don't surprise me.

the reason you often see slight variations in test results is that, with each new upgrade, holden and ford will introduce things that change the dynamics, the ride quality, the noise levels, the feedback, the quality, the interior materials etc.

they've been leapfrogging each other like this - where one gets a slight advantage, only for the other one to turn it around next time it launches something - for as long as i can remember, and probably always will. the only exception has been when ford had its major stuff up with the AU, which sent Holden a long way in front.
And holden,s chassis has changed, when? Since the vl, it has remained, essentially, the same since the vn. Even though, in my opinion the au is an ugly car, at least ford tried something different, something holden wouldnt dare do. The way they are going the shape of their car/model is here forever, or until some one wakes up there think tank.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
And holden,s chassis has changed, when? Since the vl, it has remained, essentially, the same since the vn. Even though, in my opinion the au is an ugly car, at least ford tried something different, something holden wouldnt dare do. The way they are going the shape of their car/model is here forever, or until some one wakes up there think tank.

There have been huge differences since the VL. Even small changes can make a big difference.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #69
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfĂĽrchtig

: So many wannabes on here who think they know better :

These guys test so many different cars, so often I would think that they would have some idea how the cars feel on a given day.

Even 1psi increase in the tyre pressure changes the feeling of how a car feels on the race track, surely when the VE has a chassis change, more computer interference errr I mean assistance with ESP and many other changes it would improve how a car would feel.

People get over it and stop laying blame when someone finds a fault with our beloved blue badge.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #70
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There have been huge differences since the VL. Even small changes can make a big difference.
I know they have changed since the vl, but not since the vn, and holden will chase that rabbit until it is dead.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd like to know how Motor got a 13.4 out of the SS when Holden's official figures are 13.7. I know there is always some variation between cars but if that doesn't prove Holden send hot versions to the jounos then what does.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #72
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking through the posts, I think the question is almost a waste of time.

The Holden is new. Holden has a big "cultural" following. Everywhere I go, there are more Holden fans than Ford (except here). Why? People follow a bandwagon. Richmond fans are a good example (no offence).

When a car is new, Motor want to promote a vehicle that is Australian made FOR Australians. Now as I said, I think the VE looks pretty ordinary, but you can't doubt that it isn't a good car.
I love my Fords hands down, but I'd rather see Ford outrated by Holden than by Toyota (in the 6-cyl family class).

When the Ford is released, I'm sure that they'll also want to support Ford and do a nice comparison.

And I think that people expecting the Holden to be worse than the BA/F is kidding themselves. The BA/F is from 2002 (I'm not including the AU here). Holden now has 4 years in hand.

Doesn't matter what Motor says, Ford still has a good car. The Fairmont is surprisingly competitive even with the VE.

But fact is that Holden has the upper hand at the moment.

Have to wait until Orion
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #73
toastyanana

Default Media

Just remember this is a magazine and they just want to make money be it from sales or advertising or some form of sponsorship they are all biased including magazines that just promote one make of car because then they will just mention certain workshops etc it all boils down to the mighty dollar best thing is do your research and make you own opinion based on the facts
toastyanana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #74
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
When a car is new, Motor want to promote a vehicle that is Australian made FOR Australians. Now as I said, I think the VE looks pretty ordinary, but you can't doubt that it isn't a good car.
I love my Fords hands down, but I'd rather see Ford outrated by Holden than by Toyota (in the 6-cyl family class).
Stuff-up!

I meant that you can't doubt that it is a good car.
In clearer terms, it is a good car.

Sorry for this total retarded statement. I hope that's all fixed now.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #75
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
Tough gig driving all those Italian supercars around Europe, but someone's gotta do it eh! :party3:

Err, so have you made good friends with Mr Koenigsegg yet MT? Was thinking of heading over that way in a few months time, and, well you know, I kinda thought that if he was your friend, then we could be friends, and I could drop a few sweet whispers and be in a CCX, or something... :