Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you flash your lights to warn other drivers of cops ahead?
Yes! 340 84.37%
Fruk Them 63 15.63%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #61
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do - only because I truly believe that the mobile radar traps are just their for revenue raising and contribute nothing to road safety. I rarely if ever do more than 10-15km/h over anyway.

If they wanted safer roads they would drive around enforcing the keep left law, use of indicators, crossing double whites ect. instead of sitting on the side of the road pointing lasers at people - absolutely pointless waste of time if you ask me.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #62
groops

I love the fact of everyone saying, 'I flash i think it's all revenue raising, but I ONLY do 10-15k's over.' 10-15k's over the limit is still OVER THE LIMIT. You get done for that...I do it, I'm the first to admit it, but if I get done, I get done. It's the law. I'm not defending the law at all, but that's the rules. Same as in footy, if you take someone out which is against the law of the game, you (should) get penalised. I'm a firm believer that if the law is there, we need to follow it. Even if we don't agree with it. I believe that speeding is going too fast for the current conditions. Heavy downpour with next to no vision down the M4 at posted 110kph is speeding in my mind...you should be going much slower...Clear day/night, straight road with no-one in sight on a sealed road posted at 60kph...Personally think you should be able to do 110+ cause lots of cars have the ability to run at those speeds without worrying, but unfortunately some idiot decided to spoil our fun. 40-50k zones at 10-15 over is a far greater percentage than 10% leeway...if you get done you get done.
IMO

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #63
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
I love the fact of everyone saying, 'I flash i think it's all revenue raising, but I ONLY do 10-15k's over.' 10-15k's over the limit is still OVER THE LIMIT. You get done for that...I do it, I'm the first to admit it, but if I get done, I get done. It's the law.
Mike
Well I guess it is simply how some people choose to interpret the law. I mean there are laws (e.g. jaywalking) and their are laws (e.g. murder). I don't think any of us would help a murderer we didn't know escape the police, but clearly many will help someone speeding as they see it as a "just cause". Personally I just don't think you can put it all in black and white. Meh kind of hard to explain...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #64
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Those who have, have saved my a55 more than once. Would and will forever! Cheers

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #65
Bosman

Quote:
They told me this was normal and informed me that theyre is a 10% tolerance for speedos.

Mike
Mate ! There's only a 3% margin by Vic Police! So your and my speedo is a crock of crap! Basically, radars ARE ONLY revenue raising....PERIOD!

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

Dead set gorgeous!
Old 26-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #66
ash 06SR
Starter Motor

i agree idiots should get fined i do flash to others because i have been in a few near missers because *********** have come to a grinding holt after going passed a speed trap and a flash of the lights to the ones that arent going like a bat out hell avoids this
ash 06SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #67
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They told me this was normal and informed me that theyre is a 10% tolerance for speedos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosman
Mate ! There's only a 3% margin by Vic Police! So your and my speedo is a crock of crap! Basically, radars ARE ONLY revenue raising....PERIOD!
And 10 poins for working out why it is no longer a 10% variance, Lets see 10% varience = xyz$ , now lower the variance and what do you get xyz X 2$ but it's saving lives not raising money.

The part of your post is in regards the police setting these limits, very very wrong, these guys are just doing thier job like every one so don't blame them for doing the govt's dirty work, I'm sure it annoys them as well at times.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #68
Bosman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
And 10 poins for working out why it is no longer a 10% variance, Lets see 10% varience = xyz$ , now lower the variance and what do you get xyz X 2$ but it's saving lives not raising money.

The part of your post is in regards the police setting these limits, very very wrong, these guys are just doing thier job like every one so don't blame them for doing the govt's dirty work, I'm sure it annoys them as well at times.
Agreed. I dont have a problem with police at all.

My problem is not with radars , stationary or mobile. It is with cameras. The invisibility of cameras ,DO NOT, slow down the speedfreak NOW. Visible coppers DO.

You say they are not revenue raisers? So tell me that someone doing 104 in a 100 zone should be pinged , when most cars speedo's on the road ,would be reading less than 100! Cameras ARE just a revenue raising tax ! God they even now budget for the revenue. For this to be just , all that money should go back into more road going police.

Dead set gorgeous!
Old 27-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #69
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I'll only flash nice fords, bugger the rest.

I rely on my own driving skill / powers of observation to avoid costly mail, and have found majority of motorists DONT give warnings anymore. Not where I live anyway. If you travel inexcess of the prescribed limit, you're a terrorist and deserve shooting.

Infact, twice in the last month a dip wit has pulled out of the left lane into the right lane as a means of managing MY speed, I guess they save the world in their own way. Or are the Police subcontracting traffic enforcement out to Scrubies helpers.

Dik heds.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #70
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I do if others have warned me, i think its fair to no where the cameras are, not hidden in behind trees and things, thats just wrong.
Old 27-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #71
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'm one of the people who don't. I don't speed, so I don't get fined. I think that other people should think this way as well.
If you want to disobey the posted speed limit, then be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't want to pay the consequences, then don't speed. Simple as that.
Your a bad bloke

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #72
fordxrtfan

I do sometimes, have to say depends what traffic is coming towards me

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

all you people who flash, just remember, the next time someone plows into a loved one of yours, had he been hit in the pocket financially for speeding on other occasions, may not have been driving the way he/she was when hypothetical accident occured.

regarding car speedo's, i'm pretty sure it IS illegal for them to read slower than the actual road speed and normally they are well within 10% at slower speeds.

branding those who don't un australian is a bit rich too if you ask me. when i was younger and had just started driving i did give a warning flash to advise of the camera. i also recieved a lot of fines and even lost my licence at one point. i soon realised that all the flashing i recieved from those around me had not done a single thing to curb my driving habits but when i start forking out my hard earned and then bus it for 6 mnths its a totally different story.

sure its about revenue but the fact is if you didn't speed they wouldn't get any.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #74
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
all you people who flash, just remember, the next time someone plows into a loved one of yours, had he been hit in the pocket financially for speeding on other occasions, may not have been driving the way he/she was when hypothetical accident occured.

regarding car speedo's, i'm pretty sure it IS illegal for them to read slower than the actual road speed and normally they are well within 10% at slower speeds.

branding those who don't un australian is a bit rich too if you ask me. when i was younger and had just started driving i did give a warning flash to advise of the camera. i also recieved a lot of fines and even lost my licence at one point. i soon realised that all the flashing i recieved from those around me had not done a single thing to curb my driving habits but when i start forking out my hard earned and then bus it for 6 mnths its a totally different story.

sure its about revenue but the fact is if you didn't speed they wouldn't get any.
ohhh well said mother teresa.
I think its a bit rich linking all accidents to speeding,
accidents happen for two reasons only,lack of attention of carelessness if you like and ineptitude thats it...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #75
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I won't do it. Never have, and never will.
If you can't obey the posted speed limit, prepare to cop the fine.

Cheers
Old 27-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
ohhh well said mother teresa.
I think its a bit rich linking all accidents to speeding,
accidents happen for two reasons only,lack of attention of carelessness if you like and ineptitude thats it...

i never said anything about speeding being the sole cause of accidents but if you want to go around believing that speeding DOESN'T cause accidents, then fine, leave your head buried in the sand.

some people think they are hard done by when they get caught because 'i was only doing xxxkm's over the limit'.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #77
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Ah cue the old "dont speed, don't get caught" comments. I believe it is Victoria that doesn't acknowledge the ADR which says that manufacturers can have +/- 10% accuracy.

In Canberra, everyone speeds like there's no tommorow and we're fine.
yeah in S.A. we have a 10% speed limit ... so if it's 60kph ... they wont bust you unless your travelling over 66kph ...

and yes i do flash people when i pass a radar ... because, i've always been flashed when approaching it ... so i return the favor!
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #78
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
i never said anything about speeding being the sole cause of accidents but if you want to go around believing that speeding DOESN'T cause accidents, then fine, leave your head buried in the sand.

some people think they are hard done by when they get caught because 'i was only doing xxxkm's over the limit'.
Sure seemed like it to me..

Quote:
Never have I winged about copping a fine,the way they go about doing it though is another matter,as well as the ridiculously low speed limits in some areas.
My other winge is we should be able to vote what limits and laws we want in our community,not what some toff with an agenda to his hip pocket thinks they should be..

Last edited by nugget378; 27-05-2007 at 09:46 PM.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #79
metasaiah

I might flash people if I'm feeling charitable but I usually don't - especially if some lout in a VN comes past at 30km/h over; hehehe! As others have said here, by flashing you just encourage speeders to wait until they're clear of the cam to start speeding again. It's fair warning to those who are just edging the limit but really it's not that hard to keep an eye on the speed - I'm sick of whingers saying you can't drive with one eye on the speedo and one monitoring the verge; these idiots oughta exercise a little right foot control and watch where they're going!!
And I agree about community opinion setting the speed limits; that'd be great! No more perfectly good freeways posted at 70 just because it's "economically viable."
I've been suspended twice for running out of points - nearly every time I got done it was for speeding. No amount of good Samaritans helped me to learn to do the right thing. But when I realized (at age 26) that I just can't afford to lose the money, my opinion of speeding changed.
I still reckon being 5-10 over is not a biggie, but I'm just not prepared to a) fork out for fines; b) lose my valuable license again; c) risk my job as a result; and d) cop **** from the missus for getting done (even though her running late would usually be the motivation for speeding!). So I consciously stick hard to the limit and I will brake, should I creep over it. Sure, it's no fun but that makes the fun of speed in the proper environment even better imo! And you know what? I find driving far less stressful as a result.
I also agree that more real police officers on the street would do more good than those happy-snappers on the verge...
metasaiah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #80
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Ah cue the old "dont speed, don't get caught" comments. I believe it is Victoria that doesn't acknowledge the ADR which says that manufacturers can have +/- 10% accuracy.
Err.. sorry buster, that is total crap. Have you ever read the ADR? The applicable ADR - ADR18/03 states:

"The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle.."

How much clearer can it be?

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/ADR%201803.pdf
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #81
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning BF_GT
3 km/h tolerance? Yet the car manufacturers have a 10% tolerance for their speedo's :
Urban myth I'm afraid.
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #82
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmalbill
Err.. sorry buster, that is total crap. Have you ever read the ADR? The applicable ADR - ADR18/03 states:

"The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle.."

How much clearer can it be?

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/ADR%201803.pdf
I believe the current ADR rules have only come around in the past couple of years literally. Previous to this which would affect a very significant number of cars on the road, the ADR specified 10% tolerance.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #83
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I will flash if their is a mobile camera set up to warn other motorists of the trap. To those that don't because of "road safety" your argument is a little funny to me. I mean if I flash someone to slow down for the camera then I am potentially saving a life (not endangering one as you say) as they slowed down for the black spot - as remember cameras are only in black spots (cough, BS, cough).

Speed being the sole cause of accidents? Bah - speed limits are arbitrary limits imposed by out of touch RTA political goons.

Now excessive speed for the conditions may cause an accident - this is far from the case when flashing someone in clear weather on a straight road doing 10-20km/h over.

I bet the same guys in here arguing about how 3km/h over is a killer are the same ones that hog the right lane, don't indicate, double park, probably dont have a clue about scanning ahead but in their mind they are "NOT SPEEDING" therefore they are safe and will never crash. I see it every day - they normally drive Camry's though obviously the governemnet propoganda has worn off on some of the Ford boys too...
Old 28-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #84
Sm0kinup
TYRE FRYER

Bloody oath, what goes around comes around!!
Old 28-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #85
TZENU
XY Driv3r

90% of the time im warning other motorists of the speed trap they are approaching...
On another note, over the weekend heading to heathcote, we had a CB and the amount of truckies (im guessing they were truckies) that would point out where the cameras and the police where was amazing.. They really do look out for each other.
If only all the rest of us did the same!
Old 28-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #86
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Best bet if your in a hurry is to stick behind a truck some will be doing 140 and all of a sudden they slow down and 2 minutes later a cop car comes past.

They definately look out for each other
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #87
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Speed guns: Ordinarily no, but i may be tempted otherwise

Breath Tests: NO BLOODY WAY!! You deserve to get caught.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #88
xXSP33DD3MONXx
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Couldn't agree more.

If I get fined for speeding so be it. I shouldnt have to rely on others telling me theres cops. And like you said, if people are speeding they should pay the consequences.

Cant say I agree with u... like someones already mentioned... sometimes you slip a couple K's over without noticing... and btw cops always tend to stick cams in the worst spots like just after the speed limits changed so if ur not slowed down to that speed right when u pass the sign u get booked : I always flash my lights 4 other drivers and I apretiate it when they do it for me Cheers 2 all ;)

:MrT_anim:My rides a corolla... 4 now:
xXSP33DD3MONXx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #89
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always do but only flash fords, dont worry about the dunnydoors and jappa's
Old 28-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #90
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

yep... unless i know and dont like the person.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post