Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: what is a high performance car??
80kW + per ton 4 2.23%
130kW + per ton 26 14.53%
150kW + per ton 48 26.82%
170kW + per ton 27 15.08%
190kW + per ton 13 7.26%
210kW + per ton 19 10.61%
230kW + per ton 5 2.79%
250kW + per ton 37 20.67%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #61
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least 250+KW a tonne...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #62
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Thats not fast for a hi performance car. The GTR 32 Skyline did the 1/4 in 12.9. And that was 15 years ago.
The R32 is faster over a 1/4 than a R34.. that makes the R34 less of a performance vehicle then
Anyway, the GTR Skylines are pretty much purpose built coupes not a tarted up version of the big selling family car as the local offerings are. People tend to forget that FPV and HSV don't have the budget to do what the japanese do.
I didn't vote in the poll as it is ridiculous. A performance car is whatever does it for you. Some people consider a Barina SRi a performance car... I don't.
Even though according to the majority my xr8 isn't a performance car it won't be beaten by 99% of whatever pulls up along side me. It will do well over the posted speed limits, it over takes with ease and is comfortable... so to ME, it IS a performance car.... but a Barina SRi isn't :
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #63
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
The R32 is faster over a 1/4 than a R34.. that makes the R34 less of a performance vehicle then
I would say no it is not any less a HI PO car then the R32, Due to the fact that the performance off the R34 around Nurburgring was much faster then the R32-33. 1/4 time are only a small part of the story when measuring a cars level of performance. To me I perfer lap times, that way all 3 dimension of driving are measured.

Quote:
Anyway, the GTR Skylines are pretty much purpose built coupes not a tarted up version of the big selling family car as the local offerings are. People tend to forget that FPV and HSV don't have the budget to do what the japanese do.
I didn't vote in the poll as it is ridiculous. A performance car is whatever does it for you. Some people consider a Barina SRi a performance car... I don't.
Even though according to the majority my xr8 isn't a performance car it won't be beaten by 99% of whatever pulls up along side me. It will do well over the posted speed limits, it over takes with ease and is comfortable... so to ME, it IS a performance car.... but a Barina SRi isn't :
Yes the GTR's are purpose built, but Nissan realized the the family man wan't a 4 door also. So there are 4 door GTR's out there as well, they are only avialbe in the 32-33 models. Im not sure about the 34.

Look I never said that the XR8 and the FPV were not performance car's. What I said was, they are performance car's (the FPV more so). But I do not believe they are HI Performance cars. That title is reserved for the likes of Lambo's, Porche, Ferrari and other such Pedigree's of car's.

Also the title of this thread is "What would consider is a high performance car"
and I believe that the the New ford GT40 and the Frod GTR belong on the HIPO list.....

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 27-08-2005 at 01:20 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #64
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen 4 Door AWD GTST but never a 4 Door GT-R..
I am not particularly sticking up for Ford / FPV because they could do better if the marketing weenies loosened the leash on the engineers a little and stopped softening them up...maybe they could pick up some mid corner speed if that happened ??
I think that Euro exotics are just that, exotics, they are a level above hi po cars.
Old 27-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #65
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Actually, the Skyline GT-R is much like the HSV GTS and FPV GT. It's a performance car built off a family car base. The base Skylines are family cars. The R32 Skyline GXi (base model) came out with a ****y SOHC n/a 4cyl, in sedan form. Then there's the n/a coupes. The GTSt is like XR8/SS. Very common misconception that they're a purpose built sports car, they're not. Never were. The new one will be a different story, but even that GT-R will be able to trace its origins back to the V35 Skyline, which is, an upmarket family car.

Same token for a wide range of performance cars that tear ours to shreds.. BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG, BMW M3, Audi S4, Audi RS4, Audi S6, Audi RS6 etc etc... they're all built off a family car type base, but with alot more engineering expertise and development dollars then our local offerings.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #66
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done steffo, you got me... The GTR is different enough in the mechanicals and body parts to the lesser models that I think of it as purpose built.
All that book learning finally paid off.
Old 27-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #67
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Steffo, Can you find a picture of a 4 door GTR whether it's R32 or R33

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 27-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #68
turboute
turboute

I voted for 130KW/tonne before I realised that it was at the flywheel. I wish I could change to 150 now...
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #69
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have seen 4 Door AWD GTST but never a 4 Door GT-R..
Here you go mate, this is what they look like. Click here
Then click on GTR's.... Then click on GTR 4 door..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 27-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #70
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Hey Steffo, Can you find a picture of a 4 door GTR whether it's R32 or R33

R33 GT-R sedan.

:
Old 27-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #71
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Well done steffo, you got me... The GTR is different enough in the mechanicals and body parts to the lesser models that I think of it as purpose built.
All that book learning finally paid off.
I wouldn't say the differences are enough to make it purpose built. If you look at the RB26DETT compared to RB20DET (R32), and RB25DET (R33 & R34), its the same engine with more stroke, slightly better internals, and two turbochargers instead of one. Pretty much like the difference between the Callaway C4B in the GTS300 and the normal LS1.

Then there's the ATESSA-ETS AWD system that only GT-R got. The body panels are the same material (GT-R's were, in fact, always a fair bit heavier then the RWD counterparts) and the interior diffierences aren't that major (seats, speedo, a bit of extra gauges etc). Pretty much the same as the differences from regular Commo to HSV, or regular Falc to FPV.

:
Old 27-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #72
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats not fast for a hi performance car. The GTR 32 Skyline did the 1/4 in 12.9. And that was 15 years ago.
Rememeber the R32 GTR was 4WD and would've been lighter then the XR8 and GT.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #73
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
Rememeber the R32 GTR was 4WD and would've been lighter then the XR8 and GT.
Yep, and AWD tends to be worse for 1/4 mile use. Its simple really, the 206kW power advertised for the GT-R has always been a total lie. The R32 GT-R weighed 1480kg, and apparantley had 206kW. Imputing that into Virtual Engine Calculator 2005 (what I use for calculating ET's), gives 13.94 @ 96.6 mph. The power/weight ratio makes the times it ran seem impossible... and that's without including the weight of the driver etc etc. Now.. say you put 260kW in, it spits out 12.9 @ 104.4 mph. The GT-R produced power in the 240 - 260kW range, but was officially claimed to make 206kW.

Whereas the top spec Falcon of the day (EB GT) was claimed at 200kW, and really made in the 185 - 195 range. Plus it was 171kg heavier to boot, and had cruisey gearing (3.27:1 final drive).

PS.. I know these things aren't 100% accurate, but they're a good tool for rough calculation, such was what we're doing here.

:
Old 27-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #74
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

The "Autech" 4 door "GTR" is just a 4 door GTST with all the GTR v-spec driveline and computers etc put into it by the aftermarket company Autech...
R34 GTR shells are *significantly* different structurally to a GTS-T shell, they have a double skinned rear bulkhead among other things to improve the stiffness of the shell.
Plenty of STOCK R33 and R34 skyline GT-Rs have been dyno'd at over 200 kw at the wheels. go figure
I did some more quick numbers... I have a 300kw/tonne (pilot included, 500kw/tonne without!) vehicle in my shed. It was built in 1985 and has 130 wide rear rubber :P Now thats performance :P:P
Old 27-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #75
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Yep, and AWD tends to be worse for 1/4 mile use. Its simple really, the 206kW power advertised for the GT-R has always been a total lie. The R32 GT-R weighed 1480kg, and apparantley had 206kW. Imputing that into Virtual Engine Calculator 2005 (what I use for calculating ET's), gives 13.94 @ 96.6 mph. The power/weight ratio makes the times it ran seem impossible... and that's without including the weight of the driver etc etc. Now.. say you put 260kW in, it spits out 12.9 @ 104.4 mph. The GT-R produced power in the 240 - 260kW range, but was officially claimed to make 206kW.

Whereas the top spec Falcon of the day (EB GT) was claimed at 200kW, and really made in the 185 - 195 range. Plus it was 171kg heavier to boot, and had cruisey gearing (3.27:1 final drive).

PS.. I know these things aren't 100% accurate, but they're a good tool for rough calculation, such was what we're doing here.

actually the GTR awd system (if you would call it that) is fantastic for quater mile drags, as the GTR is allways set to RWD, unless it breaks traction (ie, when stalling up at start of race) so power loss is at a minimum. I'd rather a little power loss at the start, then to be spinning the wheels half way down the track.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #76
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

my opinion of a high performance car is at least 250kw/350bhp per tonne.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #77
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
my opinion of a high performance car is at least 250kw/350bhp per tonne.
So which one is it? 250kW = 335bhp and 350bhp = 261kW.

:
Old 12-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #78
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
I consider high performance to be a perfect match between cornering, braking and acceleration. My workmates Ferrari 360 Spider definately fits this, I'd also considering a WRX to fit this. Same with an S2000, Lotus Elise, Monaro, Skyline (GTR..obviuosly), RZ TT Supra and Pulsar GTI-R's.
A stock GTI-R isn't much of a performance car. Boosted examples might be quickish in a straight line but when the thing bounces across two lanes when reaching 18ok's thats just rubbish. My xr8 on the same bit of strip is nice and smooth and begs for more, this thing actually scared the sh*t out of me.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #79
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
A stock GTI-R isn't much of a performance car. Boosted examples might be quickish in a straight line but when the thing bounces across two lanes when reaching 18ok's thats just rubbish. My xr8 on the same bit of strip is nice and smooth and begs for more, this thing actually scared the sh*t out of me.
Are you for real? THose things fly stock. Obviously the guy you raced had some problems there arent many cars that skitter across lanes straight out of the factory (some kia's are excepted).
Much love here for Fords but a small car with powerful engine and 4wd is gonna munch a falc pretty much everywhere.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #80
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Are you for real? THose things fly stock. Obviously the guy you raced had some problems there arent many cars that skitter across lanes straight out of the factory (some kia's are excepted).
Much love here for Fords but a small car with powerful engine and 4wd is gonna munch a falc pretty much everywhere.
My mate owns 1, with a full zorst cai and boosted to 1olb's i could beat it with a good launch and rape it from a roll. It's now running 14lb's and it puts a length nearly two on me from a standing start.

The thing skitter's across the road at high speed, im talking 180-190k's here not just sunday driving stuff. Might explain why they are top speed limited from the factory. There are quite a few out my way and they are all the same, jeez they get out of the hole quick but thats about it...............
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #81
Steffo
LPG > You

My uncle raced a GTi-R with 165kW @ all four wheels (they're 172kW flywheel stock) in his VY SS Series 1 235kW Ute (has an exhaust, 18" wheels and its lowered), with me in the thing too. The GTi-R isn't that fast... it out-launched the hell out of the ute, stayed ahead for a while, by about 110km/h, the ute's on the GTi-R's tail, by 140km/h, the GTi-R is behind the SS.. and stays that way. If the 235kW SS Ute with two people in it munches a 165awkW GTi-R... I wonder how it'd fair against a HSV Clubsport or FPV GT with one person in the car...

:
Old 14-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #82
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that mostly the Nissan cars are intended to be used on a track not in a straight line. Although there is plenty of Skyline GT-Rs that hammer the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 14-09-2005 at 01:49 PM.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #83
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Hmmm...a high power to weight ratio certainly = FUN, but would only be one of the criterea necessary for what I consider High Performance.

A Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe would be about there IMO...whats the power to weight of that?
I know someone who has a street registered replica of these. I think he said its weight is 1 ton. It has an au block, 347 internals, trickflow alloy heads, 8 t/b manifold (same as on bob romanos fairmont) with a 5sp tremec using an autronic computer for tuning. I haven't seen it since it has been rego'd but it was still a beast when I last saw it.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #84
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I consider high performance to be a car that doesnt break down.This is very high performance.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #85
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I know someone who has a street registered replica of these. I think he said its weight is 1 ton. It has an au block, 347 internals, trickflow alloy heads, 8 t/b manifold (same as on bob romanos fairmont) with a 5sp tremec using an autronic computer for tuning. I haven't seen it since it has been rego'd but it was still a beast when I last saw it.
Man, that sounds sweeeet....i've got wood :

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #86
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

ok, so who else voted 80kw/ton :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #87
gozza

anything faster than mine lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #88
lms10

it only makes sence to think of a performance car is one that is quick off the mark,makes good times down the strip, but also corners and stops well, is one thing to go fast in a straight line, but to carry good speed around corners is another. street light dragging is crap and proves nothing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #89
gozza

proves whos got a faster car in a straight line lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #90
EXECJIM

Thumbs up

I voted 230 kw per ton :

Why would i vote less when that is perfect for the street :sm_headba

Jim :
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post