Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #961
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Sorry to hear about your expirience!!!

Is it maybe that your roof is not north facing? and whatever position it is not generating much power?
nah mate my roof faces north and my system is great (no problems with that. already making high 13kwh a day from my 3kw system in winter)
my problem is with the only energy company we can use in Perth....Synergy and they only giving us 8.4c for every kwh we put back into the grid and then sell me back the energy i have made at 23c
its just a crap set up and in the scheme of thing i am going to save bugger all on my power and it will take me about 15 years to pay off the panels
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #962
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

absolutely stinks how the power companies can do that......at the bare minimum the tariff should be at a one to one basis

I'm listening to leon Byner this morning ( a local shock jock) the folks are saying that with this "one big switch" the power suppliers are offering 2 distinct price options

with the cheaper price given to those without solar.......surely this is discrimination at it's finest

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #963
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
absolutely stinks how the power companies can do that......at the bare minimum the tariff should be at a one to one basis

I'm listening to leon Byner this morning ( a local shock jock) the folks are saying that with this "one big switch" the power suppliers are offering 2 distinct price options

with the cheaper price given to those without solar.......surely this is discrimination at it's finest
In Vic and NSW, if you have solar you are on a different tariff to a person who has not got solar. In Vic if you have solar you get charged around 5 cents more for peak because the meter is set up differently

With the solar buy back it is not set by the power companies it is set by the state government. If the power retailer wants to add extra they can do this. If you want the tariff to change, you need to lobby against the state government.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #964
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well apparently that system is here in south aust. as well

we already have lobby groups setup and "lobbying" but I'm afraid the almighty dollar will always come first with big business, govco is just another money grubbing business now

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 24-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #965
prydey
Rob

got a call today from True Value Solar to say my system will be installed monday 3rd september. thats only 5 weeks from signing up. can't complain about that....yet. won't get too excited until they actually turn up on monday week.

Stagg, i came across all those links and websites when looking in to them and to be honest, not much of it really put me off. they have new installers here in SA and they have a much better reputation of late.

they may not list panel brands on their website, but its not like they are alone in this regard. most don't list brands but all will tell you over the phone, including TVS.

yes, they were cheaper, and yes it did influence my decision to go with them. i wouldn't say it was the only factor, but i can't afford other systems and panels on the roof are better than no panels at all.

time will tell, but i am happy with the service so far.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #966
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, has anyone in the Mandurah WA region had anything to do with these guys? http://www.airconditioningcity.com/
They are advertising a 3kw system installed for 5150 down from 6651.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #967
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter XR8
Hey guys, has anyone in the Mandurah WA region had anything to do with these guys? http://www.airconditioningcity.com/
They are advertising a 3kw system installed for 5150 down from 6651.
Aerosharp inverters have a 25% fail rate and no locally back warranty man... Wouldnt go fot it!
Old 25-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #968
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
got a call today from True Value Solar to say my system will be installed monday 3rd september. thats only 5 weeks from signing up. can't complain about that....yet. won't get too excited until they actually turn up on monday week.
5 weeks! They must still be busy.
Our installer took about 2 weeks to come around and get ours installed, and that was prior to 30 June too!
Actually, people might like to know what lead times people are getting with their installs? Might be handy to know, especially if there is some sort of deadline approaching.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #969
prydey
Rob

i was told 8-12 weeks lead time, so i'm happy with 5 weeks. money stayed in my bank for just that bit longer.
Old 25-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #970
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ordered mine in august 2011.....installed november 2011......with plenty of frustration between times

Old 27-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #971
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Had a look at my inverter readings yesterday & was happy to see it had just clocked up 10,000 kw hours of power produced. Not too bad for 14 months work.
Definitely makes my wallet feel happier.
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #972
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10,000 kilowatts in 14 months.....not bad at all

whats your feed in tariff?.......59c per kilowatt same as mine???

Old 27-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #973
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejg33
Had a look at my inverter readings yesterday & was happy to see it had just clocked up 10,000 kw hours of power produced. Not too bad for 14 months work.
Definitely makes my wallet feel happier.
what size system do you have? my rough calculations average that out to about 23kwh/day. thats pretty good.
Old 27-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #974
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

In Brisbane we get our new meter replaced for free by Energex. I've heard that this is not the case Australia wide.

If this is the case, what do you folk in other states get charged for your new meter?

Cheers

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #975
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

We have a 6 kw system, our feed in tariff is 53.8 cents (TruEnergy)
Looking forward to some clear skies, this has been a horrible, really cloudy winter
Old 27-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #976
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty
In Brisbane we get our new meter replaced for free by Energex. I've heard that this is not the case Australia wide.

If this is the case, what do you folk in other states get charged for your new meter?

Cheers
I think I got charged around $380 by ETSA for our new meter (South Australia)
Old 27-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #977
prydey
Rob

Quote:
We have a 6 kw system,
cheers. doesn't make me feel super confident about mine being able to cover my usage. i'm only getting 3.8kw worth of panels on my roof (monday) and my average usage is around 15-18kwh/day. will have to adjust the way we do things as well so that we aren't using too much power at night time.

Quote:
I think I got charged around $380 by ETSA for our new meter (South Australia)
thanks for that. i was told 'around' $300.
Old 27-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #978
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

[quote=prydey]cheers. doesn't make me feel super confident about mine being able to cover my usage. i'm only getting 3.8kw worth of panels on my roof (monday) and my average usage is around 15-18kwh/day. will have to adjust the way we do things as well so that we aren't using too much power at night time.

Rob, you should go real close to covering/exceeding your useage with 3.8kW. I've got a 2.3kW system that is consistently generating 11kWh per normal sunny day at the moment.

Cheers!

Old 27-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #979
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$350 for meter change over......you don't own the meter, that is what ETSA charges to put it in.....not bad for half an hours work

I'd agree, that output should cover your usage most days.....winter time will be different though

Old 27-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #980
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
$350 for meter change over......you don't own the meter, that is what ETSA charges to put it in.....not bad for half an hours work

I'd agree, that output should cover your usage most days.....winter time will be different though
if you have a smart meter its about $90 to have it re programed 60sec work not bad money.still i was happy not to have to spend $380. my system is now producing 18+kwhs most days when not raining its 4kw
Old 27-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #981
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apparently all meters are going to be "smart meters" eventually, I don't know much about them.....just how to read the figures

I think mine has at least 4 whatever they are for......I guess "J" tariff comes into it (I don't have it)

Old 27-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #982
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a 5kw system. Been up for 10 months and have produced just over 5000 kw. We have had a very crap winter here. I'd even say that we have the crapiest weather in the country.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #983
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

my smart meter cost me $250 + $30 odd in admin fees
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #984
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
We have a 5kw system. Been up for 10 months and have produced just over 5000 kw. We have had a very crap winter here. I'd even say that we have the crapiest weather in the country.
must be in melbourne LOL
Old 28-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #985
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
must be in melbourne LOL
Yep, not too far away. Same weather.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #986
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just received my first quote for Solar and I'm after opinions on it. I'm led to believe its all top quality but the price is top level as well. If I wanted to reduce the price I guess I would have to buy lesser quality products and/or buy a smaller system which will not be able to eradicate by electricity bills.
4.76 kw
20 Sunpower (E19) 238 ultra high performance panels.
SMA SMC600A, 6kwp made in Germany
warranty -
panels -10yr manuf. 12yrs/90% and 25yrs / 80% output
Inverter - 10yrs manuf.
Framing - Alzone 20yrs structural defects
install - 5yrs workmanship and labour
$16,900 minus STC's (currently $27 each on STC market)
Plus new import/export meter around $650
5 week lead time.
System approx. annual yield -8000kWh
Inverter adaptable for battery system setup planned in 4-5 yrs

Is this price regarded as acceptable or have I just been watching too many ads on TV for 5kw systems for 6 grand.?
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02

Last edited by benoxr; 29-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #987
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
my smart meter cost me $250 + $30 odd in admin fees
Ah! Admin fees - don't you just love them for that!

What a crock of **** that is - total BS!

Cheers!

Old 29-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #988
prydey
Rob

to start, as you can see from preceding posts, your new meter will only be around $350, so not sure why you have a quote of $650. i think that is paid direct to etsa as well.

with the system, depending on which products you use can make a substantial difference to price.

the system i am getting is a cheap chinese set up. the inverter is a growatt inverter. when i asked about a SMA, the price jumped by $2-3k!! similar story with panels, so its easy to see how the price can add up.

at the end of the day, i might well encounter a 'get what you pay for' scenario, but given the warranties are the same as the pricier products i'm prepared to take the risk, as i can't afford a 'quality' system large enough to cover my bill.

its up to the individual and many (most) probably wouldn't take the risk i am taking with cheaper chinese products.

personally i would do a bit more ringing around just to get a bit of an idea
Old 29-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #989
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
Just received my first quote for Solar and I'm after opinions on it. I'm led to believe its all top quality but the price is top level as well. If I wanted to reduce the price I guess I would have to buy lesser quality products and/or buy a smaller system which will not be able to eradicate by electricity bills.
4.76 kw
20 Sunpower (E19) 238 ultra high performance panels.
SMA SMC600A, 6kwp made in Germany
warranty -
panels -10yr manuf. 12yrs/90% and 25yrs / 80% output
Inverter - 10yrs manuf.
Framing - Alzone 20yrs structural defects
install - 5yrs workmanship and labour
$16,900 minus STC's (currently $27 each on STC market)
Plus new import/export meter around $650
5 week lead time.
System approx. annual yield -8000kWh
Inverter adaptable for battery system setup planned in 4-5 yrs

Is this price regarded as acceptable or have I just been watching too many ads on TV for 5kw systems for 6 grand.?

the system seems to be quite a good one.....however so is the price!

I have seen 5 kilowatt systems advertised here for around the $9,000.00 mark with a similar warranty

my advice.....shop around a bit more for a similar quality system but a much better price

there is this special from em for $10,300 ( http://www.energymatters.com.au/spec...ar-special.php )

the gear quoted in there is not bad stuff

this is a South australian special but I will stick my neck out and say you could get similar or better in other states from other companies

shop around

Old 29-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #990
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i can't afford a 'quality' system large enough to cover my bill.
Same here Rob. I wont be able to accept this system without some of it on loan, so with that its going to be about a 6yr payback. This is the dilemma I have...get a smaller system which I dont think I will do, or a lesser quality at a lesser price. As it is now, the panels have to be installed in 'landscape design' rather that the usual 'portrait' just to fit the 20 panels on the roof all facing north. A less quality system will mean more panels to get it up to 4.7kw and those panels will have to go on the west side, reducing their efficiency. I have 3 phase to my house so I'm guessing that will be the extra cost for the ETSA meter. Thanks for your reply
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02

Last edited by benoxr; 29-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post