Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #10051
V8 6I

Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Went to the local Ford dealer today and they pretty much confirmed the total of 1200 cars and most of the first allocation was sold and they would be lucky to get 1 car a month after that until they are all gone by late 2015,so anyone hanging out better get in quick.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #10052
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Volume restriction aside, I don't see why Holden would be concerned about the XR8 anyway. The XR8 will be quick in a straight line, but these days for $55k it'll get murdered for not having more features. For the person buying it, it won't matter. But I don't think reviewers will say nice things.

And regarding the R Spec suspension tune, I've read a few comments saying it's going to give the XR8 the handling edge. I don't think these people appreciate how competent the Redlines are. Consider that in Motor Trend's testing, the SS Redline pulled the same figure eight track time as the all-new 2015 Mustang GT. Let that sink in for a minute. For being a rocket I think the new XR8 is the bargain of the century, but I don't expect it to win any reviews I'm afraid.

Im not sure adrenaline. Definately the engine alone doesnt give it an edge. The R spec suspension and Brembos all round just might I think. Reviewers always love the new kid on the block. Theres almost nothing btw the Redline and the HSV range (minus the GTS). XR8 might just slip in the middle
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #10053
mattrobbo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 6I View Post
Went to the local Ford dealer today and they pretty much confirmed the total of 1200 cars and most of the first allocation was sold and they would be lucky to get 1 car a month after that until they are all gone by late 2015,so anyone hanging out better get in quick.
My dealer mentioned the 1200 number today too but he said 1200 was the minimum number with up to 2000 being the maximum.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #10054
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
My dealer mentioned the 1200 number today too but he said 1200 was the minimum number with up to 2000 being the maximum.

My dealer mentioned the 2000 max figure also.............not sure how this figure will be accommodated if demand is there? Maybe there's a manual only sticker pack in the pipeline later next year?

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #10055
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Id say the number is a combination of how many can be built over a set time, and avaiablity of engines. My guess is that things like short assemblies and superchargers etc have a limited number.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #10056
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Why? When the GT-F was slower than the GTS around a track, 0-100 and over the 400m...
Has something else changed in the FG-X update?
GTS has the LSA, not LS7... completely different motors! XR8 with R-Spec suspension will be quicker than any Holden, barring the GTS. Hence why, the 7.0 litre LS7, if it were hypothetically fitted to a VF SS, wouldn't be quicker than the new XR8.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #10057
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

And regarding the R Spec suspension tune, I've read a few comments saying it's going to give the XR8 the handling edge. I don't think these people appreciate how competent the Redlines are. Consider that in Motor Trend's testing, the SS Redline pulled the same figure eight track time as the all-new 2015 Mustang GT. Let that sink in for a minute. For being a rocket I think the new XR8 is the bargain of the century, but I don't expect it to win any reviews I'm afraid.
Good point.

Conversely the BMW M3 comprehensively out handles the AMG C63 and nobody seems to care. The C63 has accelleration and noise on its side and people including the press, love it.

Because provided the thing handles well and predictably and doesn't provide old school tank slappers 99% of people will never get anywhere near the handling limits.

Back in the real world, with mere mortal machines at a 1/3 of the price the same will apply.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #10058
Tbm1121

I think people will be comparing the turbo against the xr8 more than the Holden to the ford.....
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #10059
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Not only on what stock pile of trans, parts etc they have, it will come down to how many they can physically build.

Minimal staff with a large company winding down over the next 24 months ...... It is not a case of 24 months flat knackered, then on the Friday, turn the lights off and walk away! A hell of a lot of planning to being able to lock the doors after so long, with 2 huge sites that need to be wound down over a period of time.

While the FGX will be sold for near exactly 24 months, the actual manufacture will wind down before this. Possibly full production of the FGX will be only around 18 months. They will and have budgeted for a certain amount and based on how many Falcons have been sold prior, this budget isn't huge by any stretch.

Of course there will be an influx for the first 6 months or so ........ but no doubt there will be the inevitable drop off which would also be accounted for.

1200 autos for the XR8, I think the ratio to manuals will be higher anyway as shown by the GT-F. The ratio surprised Ford and the amount of manuals was higher than all other GT;s prior.

Long story short. Want an XR8? Get in early. If the entire range sells only reasonably well, the delays will be quite significant .... and that goes for all models as well. Capacity is not large as it once was as everyone knows

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #10060
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm1121 View Post
I think people will be comparing the turbo against the xr8 more than the Holden to the ford.....
I am not so sure as the Turbo has stagnated whereas the XR8 has increased in power, or at least got the best motor. XR6 270 v XR8 335 minimum. XR6 is also 270 at the fly with tuners getting 230/50 atw before tune but the 335 was at the wheels as seen recently in other threads.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #10061
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Im not sure adrenaline. Definately the engine alone doesnt give it an edge. The R spec suspension and Brembos all round just might I think. Reviewers always love the new kid on the block. Theres almost nothing btw the Redline and the HSV range (minus the GTS). XR8 might just slip in the middle
I guess we'll see. Personally for the money I'd buy the XR8 and throw some Shockworks coilovers, firmer bushes and sway bars at it- you'd have something formidable for around the $60k mark. I just have a feeling that most reviews will make a big deal out of the older interior and lack of features to match its competitor. Hopefully we can get a track test review similar to what was done with the GTF vs GTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Holden definitely won't be concerned about the sales volume competition but one thing will burn them, their SS will lose the "V8 performance crown" unless they drop in a "HSV engine".
Anything short of the LSA isn't going to keep up with the XR8, to be honest I don't think Holden really takes much pride in the V8 crown anymore, they've copped a bit of a beating from the XR6 Turbo and haven't updated the V8 since VE, in fact they arguably took a step back with AFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Good point.

Conversely the BMW M3 comprehensively out handles the AMG C63 and nobody seems to care. The C63 has accelleration and noise on its side and people including the press, love it.

Because provided the thing handles well and predictably and doesn't provide old school tank slappers 99% of people will never get anywhere near the handling limits.

Back in the real world, with mere mortal machines at a 1/3 of the price the same will apply.
True, the SS models have a very run of the mill flavour about them, particularly the stock soundtrack which you'd liken to a vacuum cleaner.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #10062
Pube Fury
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
With regards to numbers, 1200 XR8's was the figure told to me and three other in the 30min I was there. Gearbox numbers of High Torque ZF's will be 2500 spread over XR8, XR6T and G6ET........
Can anyone tell me what the maximum torque rating is for these transmissions?
Pube Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #10063
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
The lease company we use at work just released its price on FGX

XR6T Auto $41,081
G6ET Auto $42,318

From past experience we get them $1000 or $2000 cheaper then the lease list price so that could be a XR6T under $40,000

Will wait to see what they list XR8 at but from past experience they won't discount it to much for lease
Just released XR8 price

XR8 Auto $49,718
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #10064
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pube Fury View Post
Can anyone tell me what the maximum torque rating is for these transmissions?
Up to 850 Nm for the ZF 6HP, however I think Ford has a modified version of the 6HP28, the std version is listed @ 650 Nm - From ZF website:

Quote:

6-Speed Automatic Transmission
More power for a decisive improvement in driving pleasure

The 6HP second generation sets new standards: more power with less fuel consumption, especially high shifting quality and driving comfort. The 6HP shifts beneath the level of human perception in fewer than 100 ms – with impressively high tensile force in low speeds alone. The driver can individually determine the dynamics in the shift sequence by means of defined parameter sets. The intelligent transmission control unit provides perfect shifting moments.
Advantages

* Fuel use reductions of 3-6 percent with respect to the 6-speed automatic transmission of the first generation
* Better acceleration values through significantly reduced reaction times and optimized torque converter design
* Response times below the level of human perception.
* Stand-by-control NIC - in stand-by, the torque converter decoupling prevents unnecessary vibrations and reduces fuel consumption
*Adaptive ASIS shifting strategy analyzes the driver's personal driving style and the driving situation and recognizes the best shifting moment for each one
* Input torque up to 850 Nm
Transmission spread 6.04
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...smission.shtml
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #10065
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
Just released XR8 price

XR8 Auto $49,718
I don't know where you got that figure from, the RRP - not including ORC is:

Falcon XR8 5.0L (manual) $52,490*
Falcon XR8 5.0L (auto) $54,690*

The Drive away price in NSW with the ZF Auto is $59,422 (including ORC)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/311627/f...mw1KKu9Hz6I.99

http://www.ford.com.au/research/buil...112464215/path

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 07-10-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #10066
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
I don't know where you got that figure from, the RRP - not including ORC is:

Falcon XR8 5.0L (manual) $52,490*
Falcon XR8 5.0L (auto) $54,690*

The Drive away price in NSW with the ZF Auto is $59,422 (including ORC)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/311627/f...mw1KKu9Hz6I.99

http://www.ford.com.au/research/buil...112464215/path
That is the price he can get one leased for.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #10067
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry L, just realised you were talking about Fleet Pricing...should have had my cup of tea before posting !
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #10068
desGT

Smile Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
And that's a god damn blessing, I've yet to drive any dsg box that can match the smoothness of a good conventional auto in stop/start traffic, which the majority of this countries population has to sadly endure.
Having owned a FG GT, and now a HSV R8SV Tourer (take it easy, I wanted a wagon (but the FG interior is old!)), for me that the ZF in the FG is fantastic - compared to the auto in the VF. I really miss that ZF.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #10069
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Sooo much attention on the rumble of the XR8, with such a performance/luxury bargain in that damn fine looking G6ET. Arguably, IMHO, the best looking variation in the camp Given the opportunity it'll be eating many of the remaining auto trans on it's own. Lower it a tad, not much else, it'll look brilliant on the road. And while many sneeze at numbers, the 270 is still a rapid form of transport, especially with a little tickle.

Maybe I'm just getting old
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #10070
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, off to the dealership this morn. As a dealer myself im going to speak to the sales manager and try to get to get some answers on price and how many will be made. hope for their sake they don't try to bump up the price!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #10071
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Sooo much attention on the rumble of the XR8, with such a performance/luxury bargain in that damn fine looking G6ET. Arguably, IMHO, the best looking variation in the camp Given the opportunity it'll be eating many of the remaining auto trans on it's own. Lower it a tad, not much else, it'll look brilliant on the road. And while many sneeze at numbers, the 270 is still a rapid form of transport, especially with a little tickle.

Would have to agree with you both XR6T and G6ET the best bang for your $
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #10072
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yeah if I were to do it all over again it would have to be g6et for sure.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #10073
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Next time I want a manual so for me it would be XR8 for sure, plus I could never put up with the non slippery diff in G6ET and the lesser brakes so would need to do some work on the G6ET straight away in order to be happy with it. Actually if the auto went bang in my GT-E out of warranty I could just put a manual in that and be done with it!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #10074
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
<snip> Actually if the auto went bang in my GT-E out of warranty I could just put a manual in that and be done with it!
Interesting - wonder what that would co$t??

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #10075
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Trev just so you know I am pretty sure you can get a pin to put onto the auto pedal box so you dont need to change that out...mal wood
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #10076
elfinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post

I also think the G6ET is the secret best BFYB in the range. It's a ripper, and unlike the base XR6T, I don't feel like you're missing out on anything in the G.

Having said that, I'm making a stop in at the local dealer to ask about auto XR8/Emperor/Auto pricing...
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #10077
Beanzie
Starter Motor

Does anybody know if there is any weight reduction/increase for the FG X range over their respective predecessors? Perhaps use the R-Spec as the XR8 equivalent.
Beanzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #10078
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I recall seeing that the RSPEC was 1840, but I think the XR is 1861. All of the extra goodies I assume? Wouldn't have thought it would add that much.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #10079
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Ok, so I'm now told that the system has come back up and all but the XR8 are in there. XR should be at the end of this week.

Can anyone tell me that they have ordered and locked in, with a contract that states XR8 (and not FPV GS, etc), an XR8 in their trans and colour choice, for the first allocation? I hear people are 'ordering' them, but I want to confirm properly.

I really want the first allocation, and want to make sure I won't be missing out.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #10080
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
The ZF is not all that ultra quick at all, definitely not in standard form anyway. It is nothing remotely like a proper DSG box or something worthy of paddle shift
Cant say the changes on my ZF auto GT are "slow" - almost instant really. As soon as you tap the lever in manual mode , it changes almost instantly up and down the gears. No ZF tune - standard, but has been serviced at 50,000 klm and will be done again as soon as it reaches 100k

May be yours needs some new oil and a service ? Low battery voltage can also cause trans issues.

Paddles on the new XR8 should have been a no brainer and they should have written the throttle blip on downshift for rev matching into the software as well, would have been a great differentiator in the driving experience between outgoing FG2 and FGX.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post