Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #11521
BDA074

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Hi can someone confirm the tow limits on the XR8?
I believe the XR8 is lower than the rest. 1500kg v2300kg?
If so why?
Old 30-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #11522
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA074 View Post
If so why?
All manuals are 1200kg and XR8 auto is 1600kg vs 2300 for rest of I6/T models. It will be a range of reasons but some will include engine cooling capacity, drivetrain durability/limits, etc at MAX towing load and max ambient temp.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #11523
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yeh lack of intercooler will be a big part
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #11524
Snowdoggydogg

I'm so torn with the XR6 Turbo 310 coming out.
I was so keen for the XR8 S/C 335 but I absolutely would miss the turbo kick from my modded FG G6ET.
To have R-Spec running gear with an F6 turbo for less than the already well priced XR8 is insane value. Ford Australia are seriously spoiling the ***** out of customers.
If they put the 310 and R-Spec kit in a G6ET variant I'd be ordering the first one off the line.
Snowdoggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #11525
Dissgrace

Can they actually do a 310 RSPEC with no budget? Earlier in this thread it was all about the cost to tune DSC to the 275 rears and the stiffer rspec suspension when the setup was mooted on XR8.

Obviously with the XR8 all the development had been done on the GT RSPEC. I am not aware of an F6 RSPEC with 275s where this development had been done. I am no technician but is it that simple to just swap the I6T 310 onto the RSPEC setup?

For all the turbo lovers I hope that the rumours are true.
Dissgrace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #11526
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Don't hold your breath with 310 R spec rumor. Sounds like a media story to me.

I asked some of the Ford team at dinner on Wednesday night and was told no straight up.
So it's either not true or they didn't want me to know. Either way until Ford release something official it's just a pipe dream.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #11527
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissgrace View Post
Can they actually do a 310 RSPEC with no budget? Earlier in this thread it was all about the cost to tune DSC to the 275 rears and the stiffer rspec suspension when the setup was mooted on XR8.

Obviously with the XR8 all the development had been done on the GT RSPEC. I am not aware of an F6 RSPEC with 275s where this development had been done. I am no technician but is it that simple to just swap the I6T 310 onto the RSPEC setup?

For all the turbo lovers I hope that the rumours are true.
It may not even come with the R-Spec's 275 rears. Or R-Spec anything, they may simply use the F6's tyre, wheel and brake package. All parts bin stuff.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #11528
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 towing limit could also be put down to the additional torque it produces, and the stresses it places on the drive-line when getting the power down to move that additional weight.

Back in the days when the company I work for was part of the development of certain parts of the Miami program, I had it explained to me about the durability testing, and in particular the "sled test" when it comes to extreme torque testing. This was also the reason given as to why they wouldn't allow 400kw on a road car (just after the 400kw HWP150 was given to the cops).

Nobody in the real world would attempt the load & incline on that test, but they have to accommodate the lowest common denominator, and unfortunately they are out there, winning Darwin awards.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #11529
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA074 View Post
If so why?

Ok -hands up - had like 4 bourbons- done the gutters, cooked dinner, sucked rear patio areas for storm- ****** mood with 2 lazy women in house ..wife ok 2 daughters lazy as but insulated by wyfie. Told by next door neighbours that their son told that he has to get rid of his Toyota 86- or else forget about daughter.

I was like - I would prefer to know I was marrying a bloke with "balls" did not say that but something along those lines - all hell erupts - I am a neaderathal.......WTF

So women want to now marry some pussy that is controlled by "Mother in law" ...give me a break....

Where I am heading is do you want a tow vehicle or a balls and all supercharged 5 litre easily tunable for 400 rwkw.

For me I have a ****** fridge Toyota for tow duties. From my perspective, some people gotta get real on realities on engineering.....

Soft

GJ

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 30-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #11530
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Where I am heading is do you want a tow vehicle or a balls and all supercharged 5 litre easily tunable for 400 rwkw.
I do 40,000km commuting every year, plus at least 6-8 trips (weekends, or sometimes weeks) away towing a car on a car trailer - often interstate.

For me, the EcoLPi is the best all-round for commuting economy and a capable (2300kg limit) tow car. 1600kg wouldn't cut it for me. Mind you, I'd be borderline on 1600kg with the trailer & the '28, but I wouldn't be able to legally tow my race car.

I'd love a new XR8, and my car allowance would cover it, but not the running costs for the km I do. The towing capacity would be a big thing for me, as I can't justify having a car sitting around most of the year to only be used a handful of times for towing. Between rego in NSW & full comprehensive, you're already shelling out $40/week before it even goes anywhere.

I can't buy any more toys that sit in the garage for most of the year, so what do I do? I'm happy to run the LPi and have the "one day things might change" outlook. If only work would move closer to where I live......

An EcoLPi version of the Miami, and 2300kg towing capacity, and I'd be laying down the deposit tomorrow.

Thankfully the falcon range still has numerous options, all very worthy, for various walks of life.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #11531
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I wonder if the Chinese gearboxes will prove to be durable.
Old 30-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #11532
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I wonder if the Chinese gearboxes will prove to be durable.
i had the same thoughts myself.

One of the points that won me over with the FG was the ZF 6 speed - far superior to the competition. Can't help but wonder about these cheaper/lighter replacements.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #11533
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I do 40,000km commuting every year, plus at least 6-8 trips (weekends, or sometimes weeks) away towing a car on a car trailer - often interstate.

For me, the EcoLPi is the best all-round for commuting economy and a capable (2300kg limit) tow car. 1600kg wouldn't cut it for me. Mind you, I'd be borderline on 1600kg with the trailer & the '28, but I wouldn't be able to legally tow my race car.

I'd love a new XR8, and my car allowance would cover it, but not the running costs for the km I do. The towing capacity would be a big thing for me, as I can't justify having a car sitting around most of the year to only be used a handful of times for towing. Between rego in NSW & full comprehensive, you're already shelling out $40/week before it even goes anywhere.
Well- you answered your own query- go the EcoLPi. How hard is it.

If you want to tow a caravan- do not pass go- Get a EcoLpi.

If you want linear balls 385 kw flywheel easily jigged to 400 rwkw, go FG X Xr8.

I remember driving a Modified Cortina TE 250 between Katherine and Darwin NT wishing for a bazooka on my roof to blast the roadway including caravans clear in front of me.

For me, I am getting an FG X Xr8 to play with and to have the flexibility to improve by for instance an intercooler, a caravan or trailer is sooooo far from my reality.

But whatever rocks your boat

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #11534
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FGX is released tomorrow but no ads on TV tonite ?????
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #11535
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
FGX is released tomorrow but no ads on TV tonite ?????
They probably want it to be a surprise
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #11536
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

If you want linear balls 385 kw flywheel easily jigged to 400 rwkw, go FG X Xr8.

I remember driving a Modified Cortina TE 250 between Katherine and Darwin NT wishing for a bazooka on my roof to blast the roadway including caravans clear in front of me.

For me, I am getting an FG X Xr8 to play with and to have the flexibility to improve by for instance an intercooler, a caravan or trailer is sooooo far from my reality.

But whatever rocks your boat
Said it before and will say it again, if there was a FGX G6E EcoLPi, I'd upgrade my FG2 G6E EcoLPi. I don't want a XR6 with the lack of luxury features.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #11537
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's great Ford Aus is sending the falcon out on a high id be devo if they didn't but I can't help but feel it was required to fill the gap before the mustang and FGX sales arnt really priority to FoMoCo.

To me the mustang will have to be in the 40's drive away to be competitive against the falcon bang for buck. I mean what's it got, two less doors less seats less room and no blower. They reckon the falcon interior is outdated that mustang looks 20years ago. It only just got IRS for effs sake lol but it's got a self burnout system to address the issue of the lack of fun in smoking your own tyres!

Bet it goes in the 60's d/a though and we are losing our falcon cause we are too expensive building cars.

What ****** me is if they'd invested/built the FGX 335 n 310 4 years ago in house at these drive away prices and had an intercooled say 400 n tuned 350 6cyl FPV models and invested in the interior the falcon would be back!

Hold your heads high FGX development team if the USA could do what youse have done with $140 or so mill we wouldn't be getting the chop.

Hang your heads in shame AUS gov if the USA and other car makers had the same attitude towards building cars and protecting their own we'd be on horse n cart again.

Been keen for a good rant consider it done! ;-)
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #11538
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Offical release date is tomorrow however there are plenty of people that have already taken delivery of cars? Still confuses me???

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 AM   #11539
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Fgx isn't on the Ford website yet

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #11540
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I've had an EcoLPi for 3 years now (and BTW, caravans hold me up too - it's no slouch, even passing numerous cars struggling up the Moonbi hills when towing).

The XR8 is awesome, and I'd love one, but it's not practical for my demands.

But wouldn't it be nice to have it all in one package?

That's what I'm getting at - the towing capacity can be an issue that would stop buyers.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #11541
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't the advertising covered in the (very well written) launch reports?

Ford are choosing to advertise more through social media forms, rather than sinking it all into a (costly) mainstream media campaign.

And as far as release date - if the dealer has the car, and has a buyer, then he's not going to wait! It's like a new road, or a new building - the official release date is more of a ceremonial thing, and doesn't stop people using them prior.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #11542
Freiherr

In the media launch it was stated that Ford would be building to capacity at 93 vehicles per day. If suply is meeting demand, why bother throwing money into ads?
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #11543
Spurious

If this is up here already then mods delete it.
I did scroll quickly through to the 27/11 & didn't see a link.

New FGX ad on Facey.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #11544
Spurious

I have to say I'm not liking what they've done. As it is the Mondeo looks like a Falcon from the front, & now the Falcon looks like a Mondeo from all angles!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #11545
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I've had an EcoLPi for 3 years now (and BTW, caravans hold me up too - it's no slouch, even passing numerous cars struggling up the Moonbi hills when towing).

The XR8 is awesome, and I'd love one, but it's not practical for my demands.

But wouldn't it be nice to have it all in one package?

That's what I'm getting at - the towing capacity can be an issue that would stop buyers.
Hey- apologies for my smart curt comments regarding caravans and XR8s , hot weather and Sunday night drinks and all that...

I agree it would be nice to have all in one package, but sometimes engineering gets in the way.

XR8 limited towing capacity -wonder if it is to do with the drivetrain. I note the auto with torque converter gets to tow more- is it a concern with driveshaft and LSD? The manual without torque converter would be more brutal on these components which leads me to suspect these components durability?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #11546
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiherr View Post
In the media launch it was stated that Ford would be building to capacity at 93 vehicles per day. If suply is meeting demand, why bother throwing money into ads?

It sounds like demand is already out stripping supply

If they advertise it will only increase demand to which they can't supply

Apart from possibly XR6 and XR8 people won't wait 3 - 6 months for a car. They will just buy something else

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #11547
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

no elec seat for 55 grand??
so the 2008 g6eT was around the same price when it came out and although it was a joke the passenger seat wasnt elec at least the drivers seat was
sometimes you wonder if they have any idea
granted you arent going to buy the xr8 for the seat, you buy it for the power, but cmon ffs. its 2015 in 30 days it should be as common as having door handles!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11548
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to agree. My 26 grand hyundai veloster plus has all the kit you could want. Power leather seats, keyless entry and start, power sun roof sat nav etc as well as one of the best factory sound system i have heard with truly great bass. While i will probably trade this car for either a g6et or an xr8 it will feel a bit of a let down. While i appreciate it's huge performance for the money, the last of the aussie muscle cars, it will still be a daily driver. I won't be using the launch control every traffic light. With a huge overseas parts bin they could have done better; a lot of the dunnydore stuff is from chevy. Why didn't the usa share with Ford aus? I know they want it killed off, but why release it a bit half assed? This would apply to falcons going back the last 20 years.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #11549
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet that Hyundai veloster is still missing something I personally value in a car. Thankfully some manufacturers still look after me. I know I'm in a minority and more people want gizmos, but thank you to those few manufacturers who get what I do about driving a car.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #11550
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey- apologies for my smart curt comments regarding caravans and XR8s , hot weather and Sunday night drinks and all that...
Just to interject, found that very entertaining and a sad indictment on society - the wimp bit - agree whole-heartedly. Not knocking all Gen Y males, but it is definitely OK these days NOT to be a real man......
you get the odd exception - the young bloke that did our fence last year dragging 100s of kilos of gear around in 40+ degrees - there's hope!

Hence the lack of Aussie-built Performance car sales.
Add to that the 'snobbish' perception that 'performance' is for dumb hoons, and we V8 drivers end up in the minority - an elite club :-)

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post