Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #11581
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
The manual was not good at detecting when to disengage the brake on steep hills. I spoke to my mate before my test drive to get tips on his gripes with his ute. Because he specifically targeted that I took the car up some big gradients and tried it out. Result was a preference for old fashioned hand brake. Just a personal opinion I don't expect you to agree with it.

Other things I didn't like as much were steering, white suede highlights, spoiler, sound (or lack of it), the HUD and the general feel behind the wheel. Again all personal preference, but those claiming the SS is the only car you could choose after driving the two clearly have other priorities to me (and I suspect quite a few others on here).
Thanks for this- interested in you not liking the HUD- which I thought would have been pretty cool. Tonight driving a camry, I thought about the HUD and thought it would have to be pretty discrete so as to not block vital vision, but the camry speedo is set pretty down in the dash like a lot of old cars- and it is a peer down affair where a HUD may be useful.

Interested on why you did not like the HUD.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #11582
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again personal opinion don't expect t anyone to share this.

I found the HUD to be a bit of a distraction and more of a gimmick than a useful driving aid. Perhaps with more use my opinion on that would change, perhaps that's also true for other things I disliked.

I'm a big fan of going with my first instincts though so I chose not to give these things any additional time.

Ultimately a car that catches me is one that has the best sound, the nicest acceleration, a good feel in the steering and the least computer intervention as possible. To me that is the Ford when it comes to the falcon V commodore.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #11583
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

So you would trust your instinct more than the posted speed limit and your cars speed that's constantly right in front of your eyes.

Given the speed cameras and the cost of speeding fines. And not even taking into account the safety aspects. Heads up display is without a doubt a feature that in years to come ALL cars will have

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #11584
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I trust my ability to control the vehicle and pay attention to my surroundings. I don't need to look at the speedo constantly to know my speed if I know what gear I'm in and I listen to the engine.

Like I said my opinion, you don't need to share it, just like I don't need to share yours.

Thankfully I have two cars in my garage that I intend to keep for a long time both suit my preferences as highlighted above.

Because you like something doesn't mean everyone does.

Current Rides
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #11585
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hi Ryan

Just chewing the fat, there has been some commentary that Ford is loosing money on each XR8 sold, ie that they are only doing the build to meet contractual commitments and to do a PR smoothening on the marketplace to tread water until the Mustang comes, which they will assumedly make money on.
Nope.
Engine, suspension, wheel and brake development was all paid for by FPV years ago; apart from the intial purchase cost of FPV, the XR8 hasnt really cost Ford anything.

1200 XR8s at $50k each is $60million.
FGX only cost Ford a bit over $100m

If Ford thinks they can possibly sell another 600-1200 cars you can bet they'll do whatever they can to achieve it
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #11586
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Adrian Brien Ford at St. Mary's have a blue XR6 parked out the front if their relocated showroom if anyone wants to see the FGX.

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #11587
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I respect the opinions of all on this forum, I must ask if a lot of you either younger than 40 or have never owned a muscle car before?.

I ask this because I cant believe some of the comments about HUD's, keyless entry, push button handbrake, lane changing warnings and so on. Have you forgotten how to drive? put a key in an ignition, pull up or on a handbrake? I grew up driving XY/A/B/C/D/E Falcons that had none of that stuff and let me tell you part of the fun was sitting at the traffic lights sweating on a summers day with the window down smelling the exhaust fumes and petrol from the Holley carb that was maybe running a bit rich and hearing that beautiful lumpy idle mmmmmmmmm.

I want to drive the car! feel the car, smell the car not sit in silence while I look at my HUD and make sure im in a nice 22c cabin, that's what I have a Mercedes S500 for! Oh and before you say it I understand the XR8 has a lot of luxury items, but I still drive my FG XR8 with the window down so I can hear that beautiful song.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #11588
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 33 mate and agree with everything you've said. The point of driving these things is taking the control yourself and reigning the beast in.

The less driving aids the better IMO

Current Rides
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #11589
Snowdoggydogg

Quote:
I'm 33 mate and agree with everything you've said. The point of driving these things is taking the control yourself and reigning the beast in.

I'm a big fan of power steering, disc brakes, air con, playing the devil's advocate.... Look I agree with muscle car pedigree and I've certainly roughed it as I had a '78 FJ Toyota Cruiser that lacked all the items I just mentioned.
However, $60k on roads should buy you some creature comforts. We've gotten to used to paying a fortune for cars that are literally half price elsewhere in the world. The Aus government makes more profit in tax (-$65k) off of a Porshe 911 than old Ferdinand does... that ain't right.
Snowdoggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #11590
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I agree also. That's the raw feeling I get when I drive the F6. 4 inch exhaust , external fuel pump and the spool of the turbo with short intake , twin plate ceramic clutch

BUT I don't want that ever day. I like 22c and heads up on my drive to work

I drive the F6 occasionally and that's what makes it special every time I drive it

And being 50 I have driven most of the Holden's and fords of the 70s and 80s and to tell the truth most of them arnt that nice to drive

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #11591
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
As much as I respect the opinions of all on this forum, I must ask if a lot of you either younger than 40 or have never owned a muscle car before?
I am younger than 40 and have never owned a muscle car. Some of us are not fans of muscle cars. Believe it or not, the XR8 isn't the only Falcon that people want. If I were in the market for the new Falcon, which I'm not, I'd sooner get the G6E than the XR8.

Quote:
not sit in silence while I look at my HUD and make sure im in a nice 22c cabin, that's what I have a Mercedes S500 for!
See, that's exactly what I want in a car. To me, there's nothing better than sitting in silence cocooned in pure opulence with so much effortless power that I can get up to illegal speeds in no time and not realise I'm there.

Quote:
I fail to see how technology and driving pleasure are mutually exclusive. Even if it wasn't switchable, how exactly does HUD, blind spot monitor, self parking, keyless start, smart key entry etc ruin the drive? Technology has moved on. The Falcon hasn't kept up.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #11592
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As much as I respect the opinions of all on this forum, I must ask if a lot of you either younger than 40 or have never owned a muscle car before?.

I ask this because I cant believe some of the comments about HUD's, keyless entry, push button handbrake, lane changing warnings and so on. Have you forgotten how to drive? put a key in an ignition, pull up or on a handbrake? I grew up driving XY/A/B/C/D/E Falcons that had none of that stuff and let me tell you part of the fun was sitting at the traffic lights sweating on a summers day with the window down smelling the exhaust fumes and petrol from the Holley carb that was maybe running a bit rich and hearing that beautiful lumpy idle mmmmmmmmm.

I want to drive the car! feel the car, smell the car not sit in silence while I look at my HUD and make sure im in a nice 22c cabin, that's what I have a Mercedes S500 for! Oh and before you say it I understand the XR8 has a lot of luxury items, but I still drive my FG XR8 with the window down so I can hear that beautiful song.
Ha Ha- Holley.

Try dcoe side draft webbers that back farted so much fuel I got a hammer to smash the side engine bay in to make space for 4 trumpets with oiled socks to keep the fuel inside. But the sound....

Best 2 sounds I heard on the outside was an E49 being given a boot into Monash Uni- had 6 barrels of side draft webbers, another was a Ferrari with 8 barrels of side draft webbers being opened up in Melbourne many years ago..both of these being heard by me on a pushbike being a student.

Holley did not have that sound, drove modded cortinas with 250's with 350/500 holleys- not as feral and aural. And fuel injection is like listening to an engine going under general anaesthetic.

That's why I am excited by this Miami-the supercharger whine...and I have heard videos where there is a certain point at high revs where the combination of high super whine and forced exhaust output sounds ferociously feral.

I love analog raw cars, but, still want to have traction control and stability aides for wet/launch control (as long as you can override), and also personally, would like HUD with speed and maybe colour dots in an arc from green to yellow to red for revs.. Remember thrashing an AMG C63 with power pack in manual mode using paddles and although not HUD, had a centre in the revs which turned red when revs hit red line- not HUD but when you have the narrowing tunnel vision at insane pace all these aides help...

But- bluddy good time to be a performance car buyer in Australia- cannot think of another car with manual box, good brakes and tightish suspension, and 500 hp south of $170,000 plus...other than the GTS whose engine sounds for me just does not do it.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 03-12-2014 at 01:21 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #11593
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You fail to see how technology and driving experience are mutually exclusive because you want something different out of your car. Things here are clearly labelled as my personal preference and nothing more.

I think my selection of vehicles backs up that I'm serious about what I've said. Creature comforts are secondary to me, toys are tertiary and the less the better. If I had a car maker choose between investing in drive train and handling or the latest monitoring technology I'd take drive train and handling every time.

Current Rides
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #11594
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the whole reason we have choice, and manufacturers offer different options to suit different people.

We don't live in a communist country where you only have 1 model of car.

If you prefer all the trinkets in a VF, go buy one.

I'd prefer an FGX XR8 over a VF SS, and I love my commodores.

If you're so hung up on a HUD, then eBay has them cheap...but it's not hard to look down a fraction more at the digital speedo in the centre of the FG/FGX cluster....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #11595
elfinke

Who else has a backlit remote control in their living room? Ridiculous trinket, right? I mean, you can just turn on a damn lamp or the lights, or move your thumb along the familiar curves and bumps to remember where the volume button is!

But like the HUD, or blind spot monitoring, or a smartkey, or powered seats, or park assist, or even a 335kw engine: once you've had a backlit remote in your possession for any length of time and become accustomed to that being 'The Way Things Are', it's awfully hard to go back.

Just sayin' I don't understand the antagonism over a pretty simple matrice of the available functions of each car, given everyone has different priorities - and compromises they're willing to live with - when it comes to cars
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #11596
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't derive pleasure from operating my remote control therefore so long as it's fit for purpose I don't mind.

Back-lit remotes do have a battery drain draw back though. Everything in life is some sort of compromise. I simply prefer a car that sacrifices toys for engine and handling over one that sacrifices engine for toys.

Vf holden had a choice, engine or toys. They decided they had enough engine and went for toys. I'm cool with that it suits many many people so it's probably a wise choice. That path is not one we all necessarily want cars to go down though so I'm glad ford didn't follow suit.

Current Rides
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #11597
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry but i need one car to give me the toys as well as the raw edge. I like many can't afford to daily drive an amg and keep an xr8 for the weekend. Expectations have moved on, look at a competitors car, the 300 srt. They can give you the raw power as well as all the kit for not much more. Ford have not kept with this. Like i said earlier they did not have to do this alone. They could have had this tech out of the Taurus just as holden do our of their US cars.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #11598
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that is your opinion and I respect that.

Do you think there are 0 compromises in the 300C? They have chosen a set of specs to suit what they think their market is. Their market is not me and I don't like some of those compromises. Ford have struck the absolute best compromise for what I personally like in my motoring. Given the way people are snapping up xr8's it looks to me like they judged their market pretty well too.

Current Rides
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #11599
Sioso
irregular member

The XR8 does look menacing in black...........from the front anyway.

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #11600
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
I'm sorry but i need one car to give me the toys as well as the raw edge. I like many can't afford to daily drive an amg and keep an xr8 for the weekend. Expectations have moved on, look at a competitors car, the 300 srt. They can give you the raw power as well as all the kit for not much more. Ford have not kept with this. Like i said earlier they did not have to do this alone. They could have had this tech out of the Taurus just as holden do our of their US cars.
I agree. Having one car to do the lot would be good. And yes the SS is lacking in power when compared to the XR8. But not everyone is looking for absolute power.

Although lots of VFs are getting supercharged. It's about $11500 with tune. Gives about 400rwkw with low boost

That said. It will be nice to own the last ford V8. But I have started looking at the mustangs. Especially the Gt350. And the rumor says GT500

Now they will be awesome cars

I would like to have my F6. A supercharged VF and either supercharged XR8 or a mustang which are looking nice

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #11601
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Given the way people are snapping up xr8's it looks to me like they judged their market pretty well too.
How many have Ford sold?
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #11602
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That look’s awesome in Black, suits the new shape so well, but I could never own a Black car.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #11603
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Wallace View Post
The XR8 does look menacing in black...........from the front anyway.

Just when I was starting to come around to 'Smoke' over 'Silhouette', you go and do that to me.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #11604
GTMOND

Well I saw my first XR8 in white in Launceston today in a car park. I know its been said many times, but photos really don't do it justice. Looked bloody great.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #11605
LooLoo18

Anyone priced a XR6T at a dealer yet?
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #11606
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the above is why i am sticking with the 5.4 GT - enough tech, and enough muscle.
Usually have windows down, but have the option of windows up and mod-cons like air-conditioning, power steering, Sat-nav and premium sound.

You've got to know when you've got it good :-)

p.s. hired a Camaro in USA this year, and found HUD SatNav very helpful with their 'spaghetti'-style freeways!

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #11607
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...plus the motor is BLUE

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #11608
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

One White XR8 auto available right now according to the salesman. City Ford, Elizabeth St Melbourne. Call to confirm first. Worth a shot for anyone who doesn't want to wait.

Sorry for the terrible pic.

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #11609
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Also I sat in it, and as far as it feeling like it sits lower, it's just that the bonnet bulge is so huge from inside the cabin it gives that impression, in my opinion.

Very nice car.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #11610
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post
...plus the motor is BLUE
Technically the motor is unpainted and the plenum and cam covers are blue.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post