Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #91
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: Holden closure

au3xr6 / Pottery beige I'm not taking sides but please, it would be good if this thread wasn't locked at a time like this don't you think...

Quote:
I think one needs to be careful how they interpret the information thus far. From what I have read, Holden have said they will stop production and reduce engineering by 2017. They have not said production will stop in 2017 (it may happen alot sooner). After all, the government is not going to be providing them the money they need to be profitable, so every year they keep going, sales drop, workers slack off, and it adds 10's of millions to redundancy payments.
Good point, I suspect GM will try and tie the length of their remaining tenure to the amount of subsidies they receive.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #92
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Its not Holdens fault this is all about GM in the United States of America!

Possibly because thers no more gov funding so they've just pulled the pin!
from GM's press release..

GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson. “The decision to end manufacturing in Australia reflects the perfect storm of negative influences the automotive industry faces in the country, including the sustained strength of the Australian dollar, high cost of production, small domestic market and arguably the most competitive and fragmented auto market in the world.”

i see 4 reasons there... not just based on fed government handouts & anyone who thinks that the fed gov stance of late is the only reason they are kidding themselves. no matter how its come about, its a shame.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #93
WayneHadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post

Where in the world can you set up a company and make a product that the market isn't particularly keen on, not turn a profit, and ask local tax payers for a subsidy so that you can return a profit to your parent company back home?
Pretty much every country in the world with an automotive manufacturing base.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #94
stevz
Banned

2013 = The beginning of the end of Australia.

What can I say. I saw this coming but I guess I didn't want to believe it. Who even 5 years ago could have imagined an Australia without Holden or Ford?
Who can blame them though? They can see that the brain dead Australian public is fixated on buying cheap imported garbage and nothing is going to change that. Combined with an arrogant, inept and clueless government that is unwilling to negotiate, its easy to see why they are jumping from the sinking ship which is Australia.
We are headed for a major implosion in this country that will make the depression of the 1930's seem like a minor blip. The smart people can see it, the stupid and ignorant wil continue to deny it until it hits them hard where it hurts.
So long to the Australian Automotive industry. You were great while you lasted and gave us some cracking products that will never be replicated by anyone again. This country is going to be a miserable place without you.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #95
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright View Post
Sounds like you adhere to the beliefs of 70% of media in Australia...News Ltd, that is. Your rant is Rupert 101 but at least you believe what you want.

So I guess the stuff appearing in "Ruperts news" about the unions leaning on Toyota is just another media beat-up? As it hardly seems to be worth a mention to Fairfax/ABC.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #96
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
I go to watch the video on that link and a Ford ad plays.

I think the shouting from the Labor MPs while the Nationals MP was speaking is silly. They couldn't save Ford, so I find it pathetic that they blame the other party for not saving Holden.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #97
JG34JA

RIP Aussie auto industry, thank you for so many fantastic indigenous products, thank you for tuning toward this country's roads, simple rugged and inexpensive to repair drivetrains, thank you for Aussie Muscle, thank you for the ride!

Stevz got in a lot of trouble in another thread through suggesting that buyers of imports were fools (they are not) - but for our country the sum total of this action has been extremely foolish.

With UK friends over currently, the first thing that was said about cars was "We noticed you had so many fantastic cars here, V8's, 'utes' and all that, we have nothing like these," - it's particularly bitter timing for this announcement to take place.

Maybe from the ashes we can see Aussie owned, smart, small, tech'd, low-overhead auto producers making things like the Ute, for a global niche market and free from Detroit approval. The skillsets are there...
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #98
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rumours of Ford closing had been around for a good 10 years before they decided to pull the plug, Holden on the other hand seems to have only come about in the last 6 months or so.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #99
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Because Toyota don't develop any cars here. Losing a bunch of low skilled production line jobs isn't a good thing of course, but quite different to losing a bunch of production line jobs AND high skilled, high paid engineering and design jobs. Ford and Holden have contributed more to this country than Toyota ever have or will.
your arguments fair for Ford but how many Australian designed holdens is there?? research this. there is more Australian designed Falcons then what there is Holdens. what does that tell you?? Ford got the raw end of the stick, just because Holden is seen as more Australian
Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #100
ltd
Force Fed Fords

That's hilariously funny. In a thread which is very sad I didn't expect to see something funny.

As for Holden, it's the same with Ford and will be with Toyota. Whilst terrible for those affected it was always going to happen. There are several reasons as to why I believe it was inevitable, it's just a sad indictment on our country that those supposed to represent us at all levels have done such a poor job.

We are in a global market which has been developing ever since the reduction and in some cases abolition of protections for our industries. This is in no way a political thing, as both sides of governments have done it since the 70's.
Unions have also played a major part especially in Holden's demise as they have become an incubator for the ALP and the ALP have acquiesced to their demands far too readily - giving subsidy to the extent of forming dependence whilst not setting conditions on the taxpayers funds has fostered an uncompetitive environment. When the forensic analysis of Holden and it's corporate structure is given the light of day some of the allowances and entitlements of both management and line workers will surprise even the most ardent of the true-believers. There's a reason why Bob Hawke took on the unions in the 1980's, and quite a bit of the culture he broke in the 80's is still alive albeit unwell after today's announcement in Holden.

I have worked for several months for a US company and frankly, the pay rates, conditions and allowances we receive and expect here are not the norm in the rest of the world. Yes, we have an unbelievably high cost of living compared with the rest of the world but we simply cannot compete with our artificially high costs here.
Every single wage claim lodged and granted raising the minimum wage has created an inflationary effect where prices are adjusted accordingly based on the higher input costs however, the adjustment is always a little higher than the impost and as such, the actual value of the dollar to the consumer has lessened and lessened. Yes we got paid more, but we were able to purchase less. Things such as devaluing the dollar cannot work and asking some to take a pay-cut is equally impractical.

The final ingredient of this perfect storm has been the rise of Asian manufacturing, as we have simply become too expensive here. I wish it weren't true but it is.
We are no longer an island, the rest of the world knows about us (except Americans) and we know of the rest of the world thanks to the internet. Unless successive governments actually did something to give incentive to Australians to buy Australian made through tarriffs or tax concessions, the rest of the world was always going to dump their product here at the behest of the viability of Australian operations.

A sad day indeed, and terrible timing just before Christmas.

Quote:
Powered by GE

Last edited by russellw; 12-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #101
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
So which current Holden is sold as a daewoo somewhere else?
what cars are most of Holdens line up based on at the moment??
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #102
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another sad day for the Australian auto industry
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #103
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
The rumours of Ford closing had been around for a good 10 years before they decided to pull the plug, Holden on the other hand seems to have only come about in the last 6 months or so.
The rumours of Holden's closure only started once Ford Australia announced their closure earlier this year.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #104
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by analright View Post
Sounds like you adhere to the beliefs of 70% of media in Australia...News Ltd, that is. Your rant is Rupert 101 but at least you believe what you want.

Bawhahahahahahahaha.
You know you can get a pill for your persecution complex right?

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #105
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post

What can I say. I saw this coming but I guess I didn't want to believe it. Who even 5 years ago could have imagined an Australia without Holden or Ford?
Who can blame them though? They can see that the brain dead Australian public is fixated on buying cheap imported garbage and nothing is going to change that.
Surely you don't really believe this?
Circa 70% of Aussie built vehicles are sold to fleets and this really hasn't changed for many years.

Top selling car in Aus is usually the Mazda 3/Corolla. Top selling Ford in this country is the Aussie designed Ranger. Are these cheap imported garbage?

Quote:
Combined with an arrogant, inept and clueless government that is unwilling to negotiate, its easy to see why they are jumping from the sinking ship which is Australia.
they been in power for all of 5 minutes and you have come to this conclusion already?

Perhaps the money poured into the automotive industry could be redirected to a more sustainable & profitable industry?

Quote:
We are headed for a major implosion in this country that will make the depression of the 1930's seem like a minor blip. The smart people can see it, the stupid and ignorant wil continue to deny it until it hits them hard where it hurts.
Who are the smart people in Aus who can see it and who are the stupid/arrogant people who can't?

Quote:
So long to the Australian Automotive industry. You were great while you lasted and gave us some cracking products that will never be replicated by anyone again. This country is going to be a miserable place without you.
The Aus automotive industry did a LOT with the little money they had. Fortunately, Ford Aus will continue doing this with it's design centre, would be great if Holden design could remain.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #106
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Holden closes in 2017 official announcement.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...211-2z5mp.html
Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #107
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
before anyone starts throwing political stones remember the failure of our auto industry is the fault of everyone out there driving an import where a local car would have done the same job . the blame lies with the buying public not any politician or party . the manufacturers are not to blame either they hung on longer than they should trying to keep things alive but could only loose so much money.
and I guess those how brought a Land cruiser or Patrol are to blame when the need a true four wheel drive??? As much as I hate the Prius it gets better fuel economy then any Australian car and I sure as hell would buy a Corolla or a Mazda 3 (yuk) over a cruze. people will buy what suits them best and while yes the Falcon and Commodore have been good cars both are not as pracatable as the SUVs are. Times have changed. theres more selection now. Its not anyone's fault really except the fact that the cost of manufacturing these cars here is just not viable anymore. they don't sell as well as they do ten years ago because people aren't interested in them as much anymore... I know its sad but its the truth
Old 11-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #108
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden closes in 2017 official announcement.

also just confirmed on radio news

JP
Old 11-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #109
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post

Either I'm older than you, or they're not teaching History anymore.

Holden almost shut the doors in the late 80's. The then Federal Government introduced the Button plan and other changes which helped persuade the car industry to model share and export - Holden-Toyota, Ford-Nissan.

The plan worked, but the industry got lazy and stopped their progress.

If you look back further, the writing has been on the wall since the late 70's when Chrysler could not compete even with the help from Mitsubishi.

Some times we need to face the hard facts - Australia can not produce a profitable car industry. We're better off looking at businesses we are good at and chase those.

What's happening now reminds me of England and their once strong coal industry. The had to shut it down, with many a doomsayer, now look at England - strong in the service and finance industry.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 11-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #110
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Good point, I suspect GM will try and tie the length of their remaining tenure to the amount of subsidies they receive.
They have to stay to a particular date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
your arguments fair for Ford but how many Australian designed holdens is there?? research this. there is more Australian designed Falcons then what there is Holdens. what does that tell you?? Ford got the raw end of the stick, just because Holden is seen as more Australian
Ford will still have R&D here. They don't need a production line for it as R&D cars don't get put on the production line till job one (Falcon/Terri do but this is a different case). All Holden have is R&D for Commodore so all they'll be now is a marketing department....which could easily be exported if required.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #111
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
and I guess those how brought a Land cruiser or Patrol are to blame when the need a true four wheel drive??? As much as I hate the Prius it gets better fuel economy then any Australian car and I sure as hell would buy a Corolla or a Mazda 3 (yuk) over a cruze. people will buy what suits them best and while yes the Falcon and Commodore have been good cars both are not as pracatable as the SUVs are. Times have changed. theres more selection now. Its not anyone's fault really except the fact that the cost of manufacturing these cars here is just not viable anymore. they don't sell as well as they do ten years ago because people aren't interested in them as much anymore... I know its sad but its the truth
Spot on. And that's what some on here can't seem to understand. Times have changed.................And as for the country being doomed, what a load of crap........In Qld alone, what is planned up here in the next few years is staggering.............
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #112
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

This thread has nearly served its purpose. Try your best to not have it turn to the inevitable pile of crap that it may.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #113
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Spot on. And that's what some on here can't seem to understand. Times have changed.................And as for the country being doomed, what a load of crap........In Qld alone, what is planned up here in the next few years is staggering.............
Too true.
Not many are ready to embrace change, they harp back to the alleged "glory days" and don't want to adapt, change or see opportunity.
Then they spend the rest of their lives extremely bitter and whining about it to all and sundry - akin to suffering depression.

Quote: