Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #91
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

it seems you have made an incorrect assessment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #92
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I caught a Taxi this morning, I booked it to pick me up from home.

It was the same service that I lodged a complaint about the other day regarding the extremely poor condition of the vehicle, the erratic driving and in particular the fact it had an unacceptable strong smell of cigarette smoke in the cabin.

This time a reasonably new Camry arrived, the car appeared to be in good condition and was comfortable but was dirty inside and out, smudged and dirty glass all round, the dashboard covered in dust and the floor was in desperate need of a vacuum.

The driver was friendly and drove well, he knew where he was going though admittedly he was using a GPS and the biggie was he rounded down the fare when we arrived so I rounded it back up and gave him a tip.

Not A Grade stuff but a big improvement over my experience last week, so credit where credits due.

It makes me wonder if my address was flagged due to my complain last Friday which by the way I haven't received an acknowledgement of.

Good to hear its improving in your area.
I very much doubt they would send you a special car, just whichever one is closest.

The problem these days is drivers think its not their job to clean the car...who can remember the old days when you would see the driver cleaning or polishing the car at a rank, there was some pride involved.
Problem B is people who think its ok to eat a kebab in the car or have their kids jumping around touching everything...it's all about me these days...no respect for anything.

Last edited by Jastel; 07-12-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #93
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzaxr6t View Post
Cant exactly remember to be honest. But sudden accelaration followed by braking tricks it into giving incorrect readings, obviously in theyre favour. Its a trick they use in cbd type areas. An elderly gentleman once told me that was a retired cabbie. Dont know what the financial benefit would be, very little im assuming, but its definately annoying being the passenger.

You cannot trick the meter no matter how bad your driving is.

It still amazes me why people don't get out if you think your life is in danger in the deathtraps that the maniacs drive in your area!!!

The common thing here is governments sitting on their *** and doing nothing to police existing standards or put in place new ones.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #94
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

The government will go with the people, if the people like uber then so be it. Taxi fares are just too dear plain and simple. When you can get from A to B for half the price why wouldn't you. Plus cabbies try and milk more fare out of you by going a longer way round, there's been a few times when I've been drunk and have caught them out. Oh sorry sir I just took the wrong turn. Yeah well you'd want to stop the metre until we are back on track again. Otherwise pull over now and I'm getting out, they usually stop the metre until they are on route again. Had one that forgot to turn it on again and I got a real cheap ride.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #95
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Spent just over 1 month in the USA and got to know Uber very well.

The App made it very easy to find/follow the route. Find a different classes of vehicles e.g more luxury cars even Tesla. The drivers were all pleasant and refused tips because of their contract with Uber.

Taxi Drivers in the states aren't required to know the roads of by heart but have a general knowledge of the area and having the dash mounted app ensured there was no long hauling. Unlike our taxi trip from Vegas airport to the strip, that was twice what should have been.

The cars were often well kept inside and tidier. The dirtiest Uber car was tidier inside and out that the tidiest taxi.

Also for L.A Uber Pool was cool for mega cheap. Was like $15 to go from Santa Monica to Downtown LA. The taxi there was $79.

For anyone visiting the USA I would recommend Uber and nothing else.

There are some great Taxi operators out there but TBH not many nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
You cannot trick the meter no matter how bad your driving is.
Definitely cant trick it as they have an idle charge and a charge above a certain speed?

However long Hauling is easy way to charge to poor tourist more.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 07-12-2015 at 10:11 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #96
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
...the video store was NEVER forced to buy an EXCLUSIVE LICENSE from the government to operate in its industry.
It's the Ubereka Stockade - the yellow nuggets are on the roads rather than underground though.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #97
XG_Falcon

I always wonder what would happen if you hired an Uber car to drive you home but became seriously injured after the driver crashed and turned up positive for illicit drugs.

Or the car wasn't registered to begin with...
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #98
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If you are moving meter goes on distance, if stationary on time.
Signal is picked up from cars PCM via wheel speed sensor.

BTW once the taxis are gone who do you think will be driving the Uber cars???
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #99
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Who cares as long as the fares are cheap. Although , probably Alibaba and his mates.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #100
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
BTW once the taxis are gone who do you think will be driving the Uber cars???
The unwashed.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #101
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Is this uber thing part of a new economy? Like the biggest taxi company in the world does not own a cab.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #102
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
I always wonder what would happen if you hired an Uber car to drive you home but became seriously injured after the driver crashed and turned up positive for illicit drugs.

Do you understand how TAC works?
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #103
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post

You would still be covered.

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/providers/...y-for-benefits

Last edited by xisled; 09-12-2015 at 04:04 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #104
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
Do you understand how TAC works?
No, actually I was unclear whether the driver and occupants would still be covered if driving unlicensed/unregistered or on drugs - that is why I asked.

I suspect the driver would still be in hot water even if the medical bills were paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

Thanks for that.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #105
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
UberX legalised in NSW: compensation for taxi plate owners

17 December, 2015
Matt O'Sullivan
Transport Reporter

Ride-sharing services such as UberX are to be legalised in NSW. Photo: Fairfax

Owners of taxi licence plates in NSW will receive compensation after the Baird government decided to legalise ride-sharing services such as UberX.

In a widely expected decision, the NSW cabinet has signed off on a compensation package for about 6000 people who own taxi licence plates in perpetuity, which is understood to include payments of $20,000.

Transport Minister Andrew Constance will hold a press conference on Thursday afternoon to unveil the details of the reform package following the decision to legalise UberX and other ride-sharing services, which is expected to include about $300 million a year in reduced regulatory costs.

NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance will release details on Thursday afternoon. Photo: Peter Rae

The transfer value of a taxi licence in the state has crashed by almost a quarter in the past month to $228,500, ahead of a cabinet meeting earlier on Thursday to make a decision on legalising UberX.

While the value of plates has been falling since reaching a high of about $425,000 in late 2011 – due partly to the issuing of more licences – the decline has accelerated over the past year as Uber extended its market reach.

NSW has almost 7100 taxi licence plates, about 5700 of which are in Sydney. About 70 per cent of taxi operators do not own a taxi licence but pay lease fees to the owner, or hold an annual taxi licence, according to the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal.

The Baird government's decision follows on the heels of the ACT government passing legislation in October to permit ride sharing services such as UberX.

It means ride-sharing drivers will have to pay licence fees to operate and ensure their vehicles meet safety requirements. One of the concerns of ride-sharing drivers has been that licence fees will discourage them from operating because many drive for fewer than 10 hours a week.

While UberX drivers will no longer need to fear fines, incumbent taxi operators will still have sole access to ranks and the ability to pick up passengers who hail them.

The Baird government and the Labor opposition have both said that owners of taxi licence plates should receive some form of compensation if UberX was legalised.

Premier Mike Baird said last month that the government was focused on creating a "level playing field" for taxi drivers who had made a significant upfront investment when they bought licence plates.

Uber began operating in Sydney in November 2012, but it wasn't until 18 months later that it introduced its UberX ride-sharing option.

More to come

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/uberx-lega...17-glpt6r.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #106
Carrion

Wink Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

A small glimpse at the future of Uber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7-wAy_8ss

Caution: Contains rude words

Last edited by Carrion; 18-12-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Caution
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #107
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazes me how Govco just folded, even compensating taxi owners with my dam money....

Wonder if I just continually keep dumping asbestos on the street if govco will just make it legal...or throw the book at me and eventually throw me in gaol if I ignore them and keep doing it.

Makes you realize who really runs the country.

I have an idea....we all simultaneously stop paying rego / cancel rego. Ignore all related fines and warnings.....6 months time rego will no longer be required in nsw.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #108
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
even compensating taxi owners with my dam money....
What's "dam money" used for ? Is it for building dams ?

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #109
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
What's "dam money" used for ? Is it for building dams ?

Dr Terry
Yeah it was for building dams, not any more though, now my dam money is taxi money.....

Where do we now get dam money from?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #110
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't be silly, you can't build dams any more, the greenies & nimbys won't let you.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 18-12-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #111
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

you can build as many dams as you like in nsw
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #112
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come to Qld and see what happens with your money, a dam load of money was spent on a whizzbang solve all our problems project that never got off the ground, we are still paying for it along with a ubeaut de sal plant . Hundreds of millions wasted for a tonnes of rusty chinese pipe.
Be careful what you wish for!
S.N.A.F.U is the latest acronym for any level of govt. these days.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #113
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
UBER is here to stay. Get use to it.

Now you can legally get use to it...

Uber was always coming. I wont use a taxi again............

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #114
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Amazes me how Govco just folded, even compensating taxi owners with my dam money....

Wonder if I just continually keep dumping asbestos on the street if govco will just make it legal...or throw the book at me and eventually throw me in gaol if I ignore them and keep doing it.

Makes you realize who really runs the country.

I have an idea....we all simultaneously stop paying rego / cancel rego. Ignore all related fines and warnings.....6 months time rego will no longer be required in nsw.
I wouldn't say the government folded at all. For once they saw what consumers are moving towards and made it legitimate. Plus I imagine in the future they will tax it to death to make a nice revenue stream for themselves.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #115
Carrion

I work for a bus company in Sydney. One of our normally good bus drivers has just started making mistakes left right and center (minor accidents etc) Had a chat to him the other day to see what is wrong. Turns out he is an Uber driver during his broken shifts. Hasn't told the company, so he is driving a public passenger vehicle for about 15 to 16 hours a day and nobody is the wiser.

Now that Uber is legal we can only hope this type of thing stops.

He could be driving your children home from school.

Old 19-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #116
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrion View Post
I work for a bus company in Sydney. One of our normally good bus drivers has just started making mistakes left right and center (minor accidents etc) Had a chat to him the other day to see what is wrong. Turns out he is an Uber driver during his broken shifts. Hasn't told the company, so he is driving a public passenger vehicle for about 15 to 16 hours a day and nobody is the wiser.

That is not the fault of Uber or any other business, that is the choice of an individual taking risks working too much hours without proper rest breaks.
Any one in any profession could do this!
Old 19-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #117
Carrion

Unhappy Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
That is not the fault of Uber or any other business, that is the choice of an individual taking risks working too much hours without proper rest breaks.
Any one in any profession could do this!
I don't really want to get into this argument about Uber, don't really care as I drive myself, LOL.

What I was trying to say is I hope they put enough regulations in place to stop this sort of thing becoming common practice. At the moment in NSW the RMS authorize both Taxi drivers and Bus Drivers so it makes it a bit harder to work the system (not impossible tho).

We all share the road with these people and from what I have seen it concerns me.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #118
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's not Ubers fault, that's the abject stupidity of that particular driver. Next people will be blaming Uber for climate change!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #119
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I don't really want to get into this argument about Uber, don't really care as I drive myself, LOL.

What I was trying to say is I hope they put enough regulations in place to stop this sort of thing becoming common practice. At the moment in NSW the RMS authorize both Taxi drivers and Bus Drivers so it makes it a bit harder to work the system (not impossible tho).

We all share the road with these people and from what I have seen it concerns me.
The government legalised Uber for a good reason, not just to make money but also put in regulations to abide by.

If you that concerned about people risking others then contact the authorities about the driver you mentioned.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #120
Carrion

Talking Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1
That's not Ubers fault, that's the abject stupidity of that particular driver. Next people will be blaming Uber for climate change!
Where did I say it was Ubers fault?

Not going to be baited buddy