Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #91
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Default Re: So where's the Falcon replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzriderXR8 View Post
I love my Falcons and I've had a few, would I buy a Mondeo as a replacement for my everyday car?

In a heartbeat.
My answer, not a hope in hell.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #92
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...You are all saying it...the Falcon is gone but is it really? This whole thread is about that very point.. we are comparing , mostly Mondeo , to the Ford Falcon unique to us only..
Totally honest for me is this..Right or wrong I'm inextricably tied to the Falcon.
I just love the buggers...I'm hooked on them...Can't help it..
My two birds are here for as long as possible..One day though I'll have to buy something else .. I know that too..
I'm hoping that by that time Ford Australia is still providing cars I am genuinely interested in..I truly want that to be the case..

The Mondeo isn't interesting enough yet and it's just FWD here at present..It's a handsome car , it's techy , it's very safe and reliable by all accounts but even if I had the dough and desire to replace one of my Falcons it wouldn't be with the current Mondeo available in Oz...
Before anyone asks me have I driven one ...NO...have I had a good close up look at one .. YES as of a couple of weeks ago.. it was nice but not "whoa" for a diehard RWD fan I'm afraid..I found this though from a while back http://www.caradvice.com.au/408180/2...lines-changes/ Maybe one day a few of the 2.7 Litre twin turbo's might end up here. I expect the 2.7TT will need to go to Europe first , then we may have a case to pinch a few from there , maybe...

.Might be years yet though..Let's live in hope.. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 04-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #93
.:4:.
Kicking back

Back in 2014 when the executive decision for the wife to get something better on fuel then a 2t 7 seater, (yes I know the used car market doesn't do anything for manufacturing, but not all of us can afford to buy new) we had a serious look at a 2012 mondeo ecoboost. It may not be the current model, but they are well sized. I took it for a lap round the block then she took the extended test drive. It drove nicely. The wife being an impatient driver liked the car, but complained about having to flatten it just to make it move. It went fine to me. I made the suggestion of a falcon ecoboost, same motor with a few extra wasps. Like most she didn't even know they existed. Once one was tracked down, she was happy with the test drive. The mondeo didn't have a touch screen but had other features the g6 didn't have. I would have been happy enough if she chose the mondeo as it isn't my daily. I do much prefer 2 falcons on the driveway out of principal though.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #94
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Pretty sure Wheels Magazine don't run Ford.

Ford have said there is no replacement.

But the reality is, there's three replacements.

If you want a comfortable family car, Mondeo.
If you want a tow car, Ranger.
If you want a performance car, Mustang.

If you want something that does all three, well, there's always Kia.
Four counting Everest, very competitive in its market but not showing in sales. Better towing capacity than Prado. 3000 v 2500. That's considerable.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #95
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day...You are all saying it...the Falcon is gone but is it really? This whole thread is about that very point.. we are comparing , mostly Mondeo , to the Ford Falcon unique to us only..
Totally honest for me is this..Right or wrong I'm inextricably tied to the Falcon.
I just love the buggers...I'm hooked on them...Can't help it..
My two birds are here for as long as possible..One day though I'll have to buy something else .. I know that too..
I'm hoping that by that time Ford Australia is still providing cars I am genuinely interested in..I truly want that to be the case..

The Mondeo isn't interesting enough yet and it's just FWD here at present..It's a handsome car , it's techy , it's very safe and reliable by all accounts but even if I had the dough and desire to replace one of my Falcons it wouldn't be with the current Mondeo available in Oz...
Before anyone asks me have I driven one ...NO...have I had a good close up look at one .. YES as of a couple of weeks ago.. it was nice but not "whoa" for a diehard RWD fan I'm afraid..I found this though from a while back http://www.caradvice.com.au/408180/2...lines-changes/ Maybe one day a few of the 2.7 Litre twin turbo's might end up here. I expect the 2.7TT will need to go to Europe first , then we may have a case to pinch a few from there , maybe...

.Might be years yet though..Let's live in hope.. Cheers Rod..
My thoughts exactly mate!

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #96
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Four counting Everest, very competitive in its market but not showing in sales. Better towing capacity than Prado. 3000 v 2500. That's considerable.
I think you may have got the towing ratings typo'd. For what I use it for, I can't think of anything more appropriate then my ghia. I don't leave the tarmac unless it's a dirt/grass carpark. I do tow a boat that with 140l of fuel and some gear is the best part of 1500 and a few kilos. When we had it I used the wifes suv as the added ride height meant it didn't scrape leaving the driveway, but it didn't tow as nicely. You had to give it heaps up hills just to make it. Whilst the bf may scrape at the bottom of the driveway with 140-150kgs down weight, it's much easier to drive with the trailer. I'm cautious on the ramp and always leave the rear treads at least a foot from the water line. Would I tow the boat with the ranger? No. Firstly it's a low rider. With the higher towing rating the stupid giant heavy duty towbar frame wangs my driveway without a trailer anyways. A slippery ramp I'd prefer 235s over 215 Lts any day of the week. I don't necessitate the need for a 4x4 or suv for 90% of my trips. Shame it's the way things have gone.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #97
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wife/family car is a MA Mondeo. Suits out needs, massive boot space, good air con...sits 5 comfortably if needed. Missus wouldn't know what wheels are doing the driving...

Even the FG falcon driving mother in law felt a bit jealous.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #98
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:

The Mondeo isn't interesting enough yet...
Before anyone asks me have I driven one ...NO...have I had a good close up look at one .. YES as of a couple of weeks ago.. it was nice but not "whoa" for a diehard RWD fan I'm afraid..
Cheers Rod..
Was that the Titanium or one of the Pov Packs?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #99
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All cars have become progressively larger, more powerful, and better equipped.
Look at something like an EB Mondeo, and it's probably roomier and more powerful than an X (and maybe E) series Falcon. Even today's Focus is a decent size for a family with 2 small kids.
Not to mention the savings in fuel.

Most people don't know or care about RWD.

Those that still want a big family car have migrated to SUVs.
And in all those categories, there is now just so much more choice and competition
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #100
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
Why? Does the Titanium come in RWD with a 6 or V8 option?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #101
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day , It was the Trend I think. It would have been great to see it inside properly.. I was in the Mitre 10 car park and it was there when I drove in . It was silver. I was there about a quarter of an hour and I parked about three spaces up from it..Sadly I didn't get to talk to whoever owned it. I did walk around it , without trying to look like a stalker or a terrorist and it was really nice but didn't Wow factor me ..Maybe a Titanium would more so.
I don't live near a Ford showroom ,and Mondy's are extremely rare in our area just yet. Next time I am near JMC (dealership) though I might go and have a bit of a look to educate myself on them a bit better .No-one in our little town has one ..No FGX Falcons either for that matter.. The only way I see them is by chance..

The Titanium has all the goodies no doubt..In Europe they have the Vignale model too that someone else described as The Titanium would be like the Fairmont Ghia but the Vignale would be the Fairlane..Not sure though if that sums up the trim level differences well enough..

To be totally fair I'd probably be pleasantly surprised when one day I get to really experience Mondeo..The reviews are showing a damn good car..
I'm a very happy Falcon owner over six different iliterations and a creature of habit..I also have driven via work a couple of different FWD vehicles.. They're okay , not demons but I'll just stick with RWD while I can.Just comfortable and suitable for my needs..Still a dyed in the wool RWD'er I'm afraid..

When the day comes to replace my fairly newly aquired FG XR6 (still has only 69,000 k's on her) I hope that either I'll be richer than I am now for a new one or there'll be a few decent low kms Mondeos to look at ..The AU ll stays forever though.. had her too long and too reliable for words..and not worth a crumpet anyway..

Who knows , I might even buy one and say "Geez this is nice, why didn't I get one sooner ".. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 05-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #102
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We used to tow a double horse float with a bog stock EF Fairmont. Not sure if a Mondeo could handle that.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #103
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having owned a current series 2008 Mondeo (right after a BA Falcon) I can vouch for the vehicle as a Falcon replacement in all but towing situations. I drove the car as a company vehicle for 3 years and we made several family road trips (2 adults 3 teenagers in some cases); Sydney Mt Isa, Townsville return & 3,500km through SE Australia.
The car never missed a beat (apart with some early issues with the security) and we kept it as my wifes daily drive until last Sept.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #104
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
We used to tow a double horse float with a bog stock EF Fairmont. Not sure if a Mondeo could handle that.
G'day ..
In your case it's certainly "horses for horses "..Nothing tows quite like a rear wheel drive Falcon 6 or 8 in cars at least...do it 'no worries' Cheers Rod..
Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #105
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
G'day , It was the Trend I think. It would have been great to see it inside properly.. I was in the Mitre 10 car park and it was there when I drove in . It was silver. I was there about a quarter of an hour and I parked about three spaces up from it..Sadly I didn't get to talk to whoever owned it. I did walk around it , without trying to look like a stalker or a terrorist and it was really nice but didn't Wow factor me ..Maybe a Titanium would more so.
I don't live near a Ford showroom ,and Mondy's are extremely rare in our area just yet. Next time I am near JMC (dealership) though I might go and have a bit of a look to educate myself on them a bit better .No-one in our little town has one ..No FGX Falcons either for that matter.. The only way I see them is by chance..

The Titanium has all the goodies no doubt..In Europe they have the Vignale model too that someone else described as The Titanium would be like the Fairmont Ghia but the Vignale would be the Fairlane..Not sure though if that sums up the trim level differences well enough..

To be totally fair I'd probably be pleasantly surprised when one day I get to really experience Mondeo..The reviews are showing a damn good car..
I'm a very happy Falcon owner over six different iliterations and a creature of habit..I also have driven via work a couple of different FWD vehicles.. They're okay , not demons but I'll just stick with RWD while I can.Just comfortable and suitable for my needs..Still a dyed in the wool RWD'er I'm afraid..

When the day comes to replace my fairly newly aquired FG XR6 (still has only 69,000 k's on her) I hope that either I'll be richer than I am now for a new one or there'll be a few decent low kms Mondeos to look at ..The AU ll stays forever though.. had her too long and too reliable for words..and not worth a crumpet anyway..

Who knows , I might even buy one and say "Geez this is nice, why didn't I get one sooner ".. Cheers Rod..

Thanks for the clarification Roddy.

And as always, spoken like a true gentleman.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #106
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I think you may have got the towing ratings typo'd. For what I use it for, I can't think of anything more appropriate then my ghia. I don't leave the tarmac unless it's a dirt/grass carpark. I do tow a boat that with 140l of fuel and some gear is the best part of 1500 and a few kilos. When we had it I used the wifes suv as the added ride height meant it didn't scrape leaving the driveway, but it didn't tow as nicely. You had to give it heaps up hills just to make it. Whilst the bf may scrape at the bottom of the driveway with 140-150kgs down weight, it's much easier to drive with the trailer. I'm cautious on the ramp and always leave the rear treads at least a foot from the water line. Would I tow the boat with the ranger? No. Firstly it's a low rider. With the higher towing rating the stupid giant heavy duty towbar frame wangs my driveway without a trailer anyways. A slippery ramp I'd prefer 235s over 215 Lts any day of the week. I don't necessitate the need for a 4x4 or suv for 90% of my trips. Shame it's the way things have gone.
Prado 2500
Everest 3000
Ranger 3500 sorry if I typed it wrong.
I have an XR6T, and I tow jetskis and I know your pain re low clearance on driveways but only once I have had a problem on a ramp but I check them out first. I am confused as to your low clearance with the boat because plenty of ppl tow caravans with Ranger.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #107
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Prado 2500
Everest 3000
Ranger 3500 sorry if I typed it wrong.
I have an XR6T, and I tow jetskis and I know your pain re low clearance on driveways but only once I have had a problem on a ramp but I check them out first. I am confused as to your low clearance with the boat because plenty pf ppl tow caravans with Ranger.
My ranger is a 2wd low rider with a hi rider 3500kg towbar. The frame sits beneath the number plate so with the long rear overhang it is pretty low. I don't like boat ramps in a manual anyway. The fairmont towbar is much higher. There's only 200kgs difference. Low rider ranger at 2500, bf at 2300. The bf has more tyre and better brakes.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #108
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_power View Post
IMO the Falcon is a car that at the moment is not being replicated anywhere in the world, the closest thing out there is the VFII Commodore.

Yes, the numbers do just about stack up for the Mondeo, but compared to the Falcon, the car is soul-less, and not as practical. What would I rather cart the Caravan around Australia with? Falcon. Which one do you think is still going to be running in 20 years? Falcon. Which is cheaper to service? Falcon. Remember, running costs don't only include fuel costs, service costs factor in heavily too.

Also, there's something about knowing that the body of that car was stamped in Geelong, the engine parts manufactured, then built in Geelong, then the car pieced together in Broadmeadows..

The Mustang is a fast, eye-catching American muscle car, but I would never buy one on principle. If I'd had the money at the time, it would have been one of the final FG-X XR8 Sprints for me.

Like it or loathe it, less Australians have passion for the motor car now, and it shows in the cars that most people drive around now - the small/medium car or suv. For most, a car is now simply a means of transport.

For me, I am happy with the 2013 FGII XR6 that we purchased new 3 years ago though. It will sit in my garage for some time...

January sales:
RWD large, Commodore 1960
FWD med/large, Mondeo 251, Mazda 6 250

I agree with you, and think those going FWD are seriously underestimating the demand for affordable RWD platforms here. The arrival of the Stinger should be very interesting.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #109
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Roddy.

And as always, spoken like a true gentleman.
G'day Thanks for that.....Yes , I would have enjoyed a chat that day with the owner , a bit like the day a real nice bloke with a magnificent 2012 FG GT R Spec had to put up with me grilling him on his beaut ride..My XR6 looked a bit tame in comparison actually..

There's a car (R Spec) where the pictures don't do it justice a bit like the FGX until I saw three in one day at our local car show...What a day that was last June Long Weekend.

There were fourteen or so FPV Tickford and XR Club of Tassie cars there in amongst over 300 cars.. They drew a fair chunk of attention . Matter of fact the two "star " cars at the meet were an Aston Martin Vantage and a McLaren 540 ..yet the Ford GT's,XR's and one incredible T3 TS50 and classic Holden Monaro's and Commodores , some amazing older Chevvy's and classic early Mustangs were arguably just as popular if not more so..

I hope that the Mondeo keeps evolving for Aussies in the next five years or so to a point that might tempt me to look at buying one.. My XR6 is low k's for a Mk 1 , one owner , all the records and immaculate. I love it to bits and only had her 11 months so far ..To be honest I don't actually mind a Focus either..Like the Mondeo ...pretty darn good all round..

Ford have plenty of chances to stay really viable in Oz despite the demise of the Falcon/ Territory ., Thanks to reality checks via our AFF that have educated me on the real facts behind the company's new direction I can honestly say that I get it all now.. Just the same to borrow another phrase a bit , it's sort of like this.".You can take the boy out of the Falcon but you can't take the Falcon out of the boy."
Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 05-02-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #110
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Why not?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #111
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Why not?
Mondeo towing capacity is 1600Kg (Braked)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #112
Kicking back

Quote:
Mondeo towing capacity is 1600Kg (Braked)
Thats on par with the SD towbar on a Falcon. HD on the coon is 2300 though. I'm assuming unbraked is still 750kg
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #113
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats on par with the SD towbar on a Falcon. HD on the coon is 2300 though. I'm assuming unbraked is still 750kg
Yes, 750 unbraked.
The Mondeo is a reasonably heavy car. I think that the rear suspension capabilities would be the limiting factor.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #114
Kicking back

Quote:
Yes, 750 unbraked.
The Mondeo is a reasonably heavy car. I think that the rear suspension capabilities would be the limiting factor.
Rear suspension may be a factor, but for the weight of the car aren't the very similar to a falcon? For what I tow I'd rather the weight transfer be over the driving wheels. A more tractive effort. I've driven both an old model ecoboost and an old model TDCI. Neither a bad car at all. My boat just has its own opinion on the tow car.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #115
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Also RWD vehicles are inherently more balanced than FWD and that becomes evident when towing. They also get much better traction on boat ramps.

Just two things I have experienced for myself.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #116
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Also RWD vehicles are inherently more balanced than FWD and that becomes evident when towing. They also get much better traction on boat ramps.

Just two things I have experienced for myself.
There are 2 schools of thought there. FWD keeps the driven wheels on the dry stuff. Weight transfer is still the disadvantage. Having a roller trailer I can keep the driving wheels above the water line and wash zone so I don't come across problems with traction. If the ramp is a bit slippery on low tide traction control usually takes care of that. Maybe twice I have had to let the rear spin through moss to find concrete again, but it's not hard.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #117
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I love the towing argument...what do people in other countries tow with? They use Mondeos, if you got something heavier, look at the SUV/4WD offerings.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #118
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And it's not meant to.
Most people don't tow. Those that do mostly buy an SUV or 4x4.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #119
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
And it's not meant to.
Most people don't tow. Those that do mostly buy an SUV or 4x4.
I cant remember the last time I spotted a Falcon at a boat ramp.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #120
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I cant remember the last time I spotted a Falcon at a boat ramp.
I can. Me