Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #91
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Hilux back on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
None of the agricultural jap/thai utes can even match a 15 year old AU ute for space comfort, power, refinement and handling, let alone a new FGX. Once the Falcon is gone there will be nothing that is currently offered that will match it.
**** mate you got some issues. Grow up and accept that some people may have different views.

This thread is dead.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #92
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
None of the agricultural jap/thai utes can even match a 15 year old AU ute for space comfort, power, refinement and handling, let alone a new FGX. Once the Falcon is gone there will be nothing that is currently offered that will match it.
What a ridiculous statement
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #93
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you tempted - I too share an irrational hatred towards these hideous lumbering tractors that infest our roads, but it would seem we're in the minority.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Won't be able to buy any type of ute that could run with an XR6 Turbo or SS either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #95
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Overpriced? What are we comparing against here? A 4x2 single cab? Or an upper-spec 4x4 dual cab? 4x2 single cabs are a fair bit cheaper than their Falcon equivalent.

Slow? Against the smaller capacity diesels (2.2 Ranger, any Hilux), fair enough. The 3.2 has some go in it though.

Rattly? I repeat my previous post - have you even been in a new dual cab of ANY make?

Filthy carcinogen emitting diesel - Hmm... OK so I'm looking at CO2 emissions here & the Falcon ute wins vs the Ranger 3.2L, but the Hilux emits less CO2 than the LPG Falcon (193g/km vs 218g/km). No details readily available for carcinogens. New dual cabs are fitted with particulate filters to capture carcinogens.

Sources:
http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...12087140/?Cr=9
http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars/...D-425934/?Cr=1

Rides like a tractor? Handles like the Titanic? Again, have you even driven any new dual cab?

Don't get me wrong; an AU ute is a great value workhorse. But for my needs, and many others on here, it just doesn't cut it.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #96
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussie utes are a cut above the new wave of smelly, carcinogenic, diesel rubbish. The car companies love them because they are cheap to make and sell well with some tough truck type of hype around them. Not everyone likes them though, I know of quite a few people (not including me) who either has or will be purchasing an FGX ute as their last ever new ute, these are long term, turn a new ute over every three or so years type of buyers as well. Another mate also has a crewman he plans on keeping forever, but I don't hold that against him, a least it isn't a Colorado.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #97
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Won't be able to buy any type of ute that could run with an XR6 Turbo or SS either.
Those are more two door sports cars than Utes , payload is 500kg .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #98
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Aussie utes are a cut above the new wave of smelly, carcinogenic, diesel rubbish. The car companies love them because they are cheap to make and sell well with some tough truck type of hype around them. Not everyone likes them though, I know of quite a few people (not including me) who either has or will be purchasing an FGX ute as their last ever new ute, these are long term, turn a new ute over every three or so years type of buyers as well. Another mate also has a crewman he plans on keeping forever, but I don't hold that against him, a least it isn't a Colorado.
Car based Utes don't compete against dual cab 4wds. They only seat two and and are more sports cars than utilitarian . Have a look what businesses use to move stuff around - mostly single cab trays .
I have nothing against falcon ( or commodore) Utes ( they are great) but there is no point comparing them to dual cabs.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #99
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Falcon utes have no off road ability or load carrying capacity. Dual cabs are very versatile. If I didnt own a 4WD I'd probably own one
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #100
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dual cabs drive as well as an 80s to 90s era Commodore and Falcon (while still being a lot slower) and remember back in the 80s and 90s the Falcon and Commodore sold very well so driving dynamics are probably perfectly adequate for the vast majority of drivers. In fact with far better roads and much slower travel speeds you don't need outstanding handling and the added versatility and off road ability of a dual cab 4wd is worth the handling trade off for many.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #101
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Wow some of the comments are incredible. I have been in a falcon ute (FG) and Ranger ute (PX 4x4). They are not the same category. Apples and oranges.

Let's compare a Proton Jumbuck ute and the falcon ute. Both seat the same. both are single axle drive. Both are Utes. Both are petrols. They are more fair comparison than falcon ranger. At least the proton and Ranger won't be a pile of oxidisation by 2020.
This thread has more rubbish in it than an episode of Today Tonight. Well done everyone.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #102
sleepisforthedead

^ I'll say. My Ranger drives much "better" in my opinion than the ten + BA's I've had.. but define better??? It's not a performance sedan built to go around corners, it carries stuff, it tows things, problem solvered.
XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #103
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyway who really cares if a Ranger out handles, steers or rides better than an older Falcon. I spend 8 hours some days doing site inspections in a Ranger and it is easily the best dual cab out there. It drives amazingly well. It's made me change my tune on these Thai Utes, I can see why people buy them and they would make a great family car (just option the bloody rear view camera).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #104
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been a dual-cab ute naysayer for a long time. I even resisted them so much for a very short time I was the owner of a Holden Cross8 as I thought AWD dual-cab "ute" was great .. until I realised it tried to do a lot of things but didn't do any of them particularly well.

Bought our first diesel dual-cab last year - and it's one of the ones most people poo-poo .. the MN Triton GLX-R auto. One year and 30,000km later and wife (her vehicle) and I love it. I have the hand-me-down FG XR6 ute which is fine .. but it can't tow as much, can't carry five, can't go over muddy ground. The Triton has almost all the same non-mechanical features as the XR6 and cost approximately the same.

Why I still love "real" utes .. I can now understand why these things are so popular.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #105
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWA17 View Post
^ I'll say. My Ranger drives much "better" in my opinion than the ten + BA's I've had.. but define better??? It's not a performance sedan built to go around corners, it carries stuff, it tows things, problem solvered.
Define better. Well, compared to the dual cabs of old (pre 2010) there is no slop in the steering, so when you turn, the wheels also turn. It is more direct, there's more feedback than there used to be, steering weight is also great. Compared to a 90's falcon it feels more assured. Maybe because I never drove a new 90's falcon and only have my fairlane to go by. But again none of these can be compared.

Times have changed and dual cabs are meant to do everything except win races. Having said that, my experience with a PX Ranger 3.2L auto has shown me that they can be quick too. They stay on boost in the sweet spot and hook along. No doubt it would beat many older cars. But people who buy dual cabs buy it because they want to carry big, awkward, heavy things or they want to tow things or they simply want the practicality that comes with a dual cab. These days the dual cabs are well equipped, well built and are roomy inside. Totally different beasts to what we used to have.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #106
sleepisforthedead

Again.. I don't see how this turned into Ranger vs Falcon... Ranger vs Hilux I could understand

XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #107
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Its FordForums, it's not a pub thread till it's far off topic and peoples egos are bigger than a falcon Utes payload.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 10-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #108
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not Falcon vs Ranger, its Falcon vs Thai type utes (and not just dual cabs). It is relevant to compare them as Falcon ute buyers (I am on my 5th new one) have two options, get a Thai ute or keep their Falcon. I'll be doing the latter.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #109
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also saying a sedan or sedan based ute is better than a dual cab because it handles better is like saying a Bus is better than a B double because it can hold more passengers. Not even the types of vehicles that should be compared with each other.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #110
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Its not Falcon vs Ranger, its Falcon vs Thai type utes (and not just dual cabs). It is relevant to compare them as Falcon ute buyers (I am on my 5th new one) have two options, get a Thai ute or keep their Falcon. I'll be doing the latter.

If Falcon ute is better option for you that's great . I own a dual cab and it covers what I do well . It even has more torque than XR6 turbo ute :-) .Could not do it with Falcon ute. So it is horses for courses.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 10-11-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #111
Sioso
irregular member

Ford Ranger just picked up 2 awards on Carsales

http://www.carsales.com.au/editorial...he-year-100116

Best Offroad 4x4 — Ford Ranger
Best Tradie vehicle — Ford Ranger
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #112