Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #91
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrude
I think thats the norm for books that become movies...

Several hours of detailed reading and meticulous character build up cant be done in a movie.

I didnt know there was abook.

I loved the movie, i thought it was great and deserves the big screen.

One part i couldn't get is , when the dummy was on the street.. just before Sam got attacked and he got strung up..

Why was he talking to the dummy...

Was it one he had placed else where, like the one in the bookshop as company, that was now in a wrong location?

If so , sureley he should have sensed a trap.
The dummy was laid as a trap. What the brevity of the movie fails to convey is his growing sense of madness and loneliness that he actually starts talking to dummies in a false reailty. He has clearly placed them in the Video store himself to comfort him and make it seem real/something to do... he then slowly goes crazy thinking they are real. In his confusion, he genuinely thinks the dummy got there on his own, he then lets off a clip of ammo and then put 2 + 2 together... it's smart, but very hard to portray on film, something that I think Will Smith managed to do quite well given the lack of dialogue. It also explains the scene with the female dummy at the back of the store.

Add that to his issues when the two arrive and one of the stronger messages of the film comes through, albeit a little overshadowed by screaming Mustangs, explosions and the bling. The storyline is there, it's just weak and struggles to break through the features that attracted people to the movie in the forst place.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #92
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i watched it tonite, i loved it, and i pretty much agree with everyone saying the ending being a bit weird too. I too believe the CGI to be not so good.

ill give it 7/10, id watch it again though
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #93
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
The dummy was laid as a trap. What the brevity of the movie fails to convey is his growing sense of madness and loneliness that he actually starts talking to dummies in a false reailty. He has clearly placed them in the Video store himself to comfort him and make it seem real/something to do... he then slowly goes crazy thinking they are real. In his confusion, he genuinely thinks the dummy got there on his own, he then lets off a clip of ammo and then put 2 + 2 together... it's smart, but very hard to portray on film, something that I think Will Smith managed to do quite well given the lack of dialogue. It also explains the scene with the female dummy at the back of the store.

Add that to his issues when the two arrive and one of the stronger messages of the film comes through, albeit a little overshadowed by screaming Mustangs, explosions and the bling. The storyline is there, it's just weak and struggles to break through the features that attracted people to the movie in the forst place.
Glad to see that someone else got it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #94
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Watched it a few days ago,
I started to really really get into the movie, but the ending was soo...how can I put it..weak?!
I enjoyed it, but would have liked to seen a stronger ending,

By the way, the water/chemical solution he kept dripping over his front steps...what was it? (obvioulsy something to get rid of his foot scent,)
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #95
scoupedy

The Mustang and the F series at the end were obvouisly straight out of the showroom duh you wouldn't get a second hand car with all the spanking new ones in the showrooms would you!
I liked the movie i agree about the ending and the CGI though
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #96
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Unfortunately this movie is another example of hollywood using a great actor and cgi to try and escape escape a poorly written script.

Will smith, Brilliant.
the dog, brilliant.
15 minute Mustang scene, brilliant.
the fight scenes, awesome.

15 minutes of footage illustrating his family relationship, for them to get killed (not even on screen) rubbish, and a waste of time. Just show them getting blown up in a helicopter at the start, its an action film for gods sake! Find out their dead and move on.

an hour and a half of will smith doing all that awesome stuff for him to go out like a sucker, poorly done and unimaginative, WORSE THAN LISTENING TO STRAWBERRY KISSES.

He went to all those lengths to make his house secure, yet he builds his supposedly secure basement out of the zombie equivilent of cardboard???

Its an action movie, not a arthouse film, the hero is supposed to win and get the girl. Die hard, terminator, awesome films.

and what was with the recurring Butterfly image??? not in an action film!!! The chick had a tattoo of one and wills kid had one in the car, thats hardly a link!!!
it would only be passable if the butterfly was somehow majorly involved in the cure, but it wasnt. So why on earth would u have butterflies getting closeups every 15 minutes in a zombie film???

1st rule of action films, dont waste time on needless character development. ie, this is dave, he is a good guy and has a gun. THATS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW!!
NOT, this is dave, he likes the colour purple, shopping and moonlight walks on the beach, his family are from new york, he lost his wife in a helocopter accident and it went down like this... and he's a kind of a good guy with flaws like any man etc.

2nd rule, more explosions, more sex, more awesome one liners, more noise, more bad guys with holes in their faces.

I am legend was perfect the first 2 times i saw it, as 28 days/weeks later.

Even the name of the film is wrong, should be "i was legend (until i blew myself up cos i wasnt smart enough to build a zombie proof basement lab)"

and not to mention the gaping plot hole at the end....
The brazilian wench (pointless character) and the kid (even more pointless, what did he do in the film?? except take up time that it didnt have) rock up to the colony. The colony looks like a small town, with the population to match (just look at them, wearing flannel and holding m16's). and she has one vial of that antidote. by the looks of that place there wasnt too many imunologists/scientists around to make more of it for a start or the facilities to do it. so how did he save the world??? I'll tell you he didnt, the antidote ended up in a cupboard because the yokels had nfi how to use it/make more.

The film was rubbish.

Its even worse when you consider they had 28 days later as a reference point to guide them on what to do.

3/20 because of will, the mustang and the dog.
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #97
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34

By the way, the water/chemical solution he kept dripping over his front steps...what was it? (obvioulsy something to get rid of his foot scent,)

Bleach...it kills all the scent and also any trace of him being there.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #98
billsta

Good movie and another good performance by Will Smith though I didn't like the end. Why didn't he drive out of the area in the time he was alone.
It seemed like the human compound was not far from the city.
He seemed to like cruising in the Mustang he should have just cruised a little further.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #99
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd

Even the name of the film is wrong, should be "i was legend (until i blew myself up cos i wasnt smart enough to build a zombie proof basement lab)"
hahahha I laughed out loud when i read that..

I say its a good movie, but yes it could have been improved to make it alot better....the ending part..with the colonie..was a bit weak...as mentioned below...
Quote:
The colony looks like a small town, with the population to match (just look at them, wearing flannel and holding m16's). and she has one vial of that antidote. by the looks of that place there wasnt too many imunologists/scientists around to make more of it for a start or the facilities to do
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #100
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Unfortunately this movie is another example of hollywood using a great actor and cgi to try and escape escape a poorly written script.

Will smith, Brilliant.
the dog, brilliant.
15 minute Mustang scene, brilliant.
the fight scenes, awesome.

15 minutes of footage illustrating his family relationship, for them to get killed (not even on screen) rubbish, and a waste of time. Just show them getting blown up in a helicopter at the start, its an action film for gods sake! Find out their dead and move on.

an hour and a half of will smith doing all that awesome stuff for him to go out like a sucker, poorly done and unimaginative, WORSE THAN LISTENING TO STRAWBERRY KISSES.

He went to all those lengths to make his house secure, yet he builds his supposedly secure basement out of the zombie equivilent of cardboard???

Its an action movie, not a arthouse film, the hero is supposed to win and get the girl. Die hard, terminator, awesome films.

and what was with the recurring Butterfly image??? not in an action film!!! The chick had a tattoo of one and wills kid had one in the car, thats hardly a link!!!
it would only be passable if the butterfly was somehow majorly involved in the cure, but it wasnt. So why on earth would u have butterflies getting closeups every 15 minutes in a zombie film???

1st rule of action films, dont waste time on needless character development. ie, this is dave, he is a good guy and has a gun. THATS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW!!
NOT, this is dave, he likes the colour purple, shopping and moonlight walks on the beach, his family are from new york, he lost his wife in a helocopter accident and it went down like this... and he's a kind of a good guy with flaws like any man etc.

2nd rule, more explosions, more sex, more awesome one liners, more noise, more bad guys with holes in their faces.

I am legend was perfect the first 2 times i saw it, as 28 days/weeks later.

and not to mention the gaping plot hole at the end....
The brazilian wench (pointless character) and the kid (even more pointless, what did he do in the film?? except take up time that it didnt have) rock up to the colony. The colony looks like a small town, with the population to match (just look at them, wearing flannel and holding m16's). and she has one vial of that antidote. by the looks of that place there wasnt too many imunologists/scientists around to make more of it for a start or the facilities to do it. so how did he save the world??? I'll tell you he didnt, the antidote ended up in a cupboard because the yokels had nfi how to use it/make more.

The film was rubbish.

Its even worse when you consider they had 28 days later as a reference point to guide them on what to do.

3/20 because of will, the mustang and the dog.
You could have saved yourself a lot of effort if you'd done a simple google search... the book was written in 1954 - here's the original. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend

You can see how the movie adaptation loses a lot.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #101
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

It was a lame ending but at least it wasn't as bad as War of the Worlds. Now that's the most monumental of pathetic endings.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #102
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Bleach...it kills all the scent and also any trace of him being there.
Not according to the Facebook Quiz. Got that 1 and only question wrong.

Question 4
What kind of substance does he dump on the ground in several scenes in the movie?
1. Saline (Your Answer)
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
3. Liquid Nitrogen
4. Vineger (Correct Answer)
5. Water

But then again, nowhere in the movie is this actually mentioned??? Or is it??

I watched the movie last night. I looked at my watch and realised there was 30 min till the ending, and I was thinking to myself, when the hell is something going to happen????

Would have been great to see some kick *** battle scenes between the infected and the immune people.

As for previews.... they have been drip feeding that Godzillaesque movie for ages now! Whats it called?? Cloverfield?? Now THAT'S a movie I can't wait to see!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #103
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

agreed cloverfield looks the goods.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #104
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
The storyline is there, it's just weak and struggles to break through the features that attracted people to the movie in the first place.
Alot of people (myself inc) really got sucked in...
When was the last time did we hear about any particular actor not making a
"bad movie" before this? I tend to feel this statement was drilled into us
because it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
As for previews.... they have been drip feeding that Godzillaesque movie for ages now! Whats it called?? Cloverfield?? Now THAT'S a movie I can't wait to see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
agreed cloverfield looks the goods.
Thats the same thing we said about this movie???

Top class review Brodfloyd.

Last edited by Falc'man; 13-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #105
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Thats the same thing we said about this movie???
Thats true. I hope Im not disappointed.

transformers could have been a major flop. But turned out better than I have originally thought. I expected similar feelings from 'I am legend'. The cgi in cloverfield looks more credible than IAL.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #106
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Lion also doesn't roar directly at him either in the movie, unlike the ad.

For me, the whine of the Supercharger on that GT500 was worth the rest of the movie. I was in Heaven for about 45 seconds.

For those who don't want to see the movie and just want to see the Stang...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuHWxEC2Lr0
At around 1:18 hear that Supercharger roar!!!!!!!

He actually steals a Mustang out of a Ford showroom in one of the Deleted scenes from memory, explaining why it's so clean and untouched.

Jumps it out through a plate glass window - why cut that? Seems to be a billboard for a Ford Interceptor (that 4 door show car from Detroit MS) too.

Not as good as the Omega Man or the Last Man on Earth, and Charlton heston did a better job - but still worth watching.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #107
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Just watched it this afternoon, it's got some good camera directing, really puts you there....the zombie's where pretty convincing but the ending was a bit lame.

The beginning was the best part, right where you hear the GT500 exhaust echoing between the buildings and then the blower whine, some great stunt driving too.

That batman/superman movie billboard is apparently a hint to a future release...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #108
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Jumps it out through a plate glass window - why cut that? Seems to be a billboard for a Ford Interceptor (that 4 door show car from Detroit MS) too.
Must have been Aussie censorship - stealing cars is bad apparently, even if you have your own city! In the US it's a national sport, so it got through
You're right about the Interceptor - that was another (subliminal for most) plug that Ford paid for...

Quote:
That batman/superman movie billboard is apparently a hint to a future release...
Batman vs Superman vs Alien vs Predator vs Rocky! Woot, I'd almost go to see that!!!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #109
AusM
AusMotorsport

:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I argee with everything you said, Especially when he had to do the unthinkable to sam
I couldn't get this bit - he was happy to keep a human zombie strapped to his lab table until he found a cure, but he gave up immediately when 'compound 6' didn't work on the dog?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #110
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Freeeeedddddd

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #111
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just finished watching it. It was good, but not as good as I thought it would be.

This is actually the first movie in a long time, where it felt there was no storyline. For the most part it was quite predictable actually.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #112
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

yeah saw this last night was an ok movie ending was a bit short and well crap better ending and wouldnt have been a pretty good movie. though really didnt like the dog getting hurt and then having to die, (animals dieing really gets to me, human well dont give a so and so they can help them self but dogs and cat, (domestic animals) well that different)
strange thing is left the cinema saying not a movie i will buy but then been thinking bout it today and i might just buy it lol

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #113
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched it a week or so back, mostly enjoyed it but at the end sitting there thinking wtf? Looked like they were running out of film and just said this will do, bang
Old 14-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #114
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Look at IMDB ... it is on the cards.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #115
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
the zombie's where pretty convincing
You're probably the first person I've seen to say that (unless you're being sarcastic)

I thought the CGI zombies were absolutely horrible, which apparently kept to the theme of the movie...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #116
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Has anyone seen Omega man?! It was the orginal as to 'I am legend'...
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 14-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #117
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that stunt driving in the GT500 was mostly CGI..

the movie was good but they could have made a blockbuster out of it by adding another half an hour-45mins explaining more about the zombies, the disease, the woman and child, why that 1 zombie was the way he was and how he got smart etc etc etc.. and mayeb a "5 yrs from now" sequence.. they ruined a good concept they did.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #118
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked it probably on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 beign the lowest 10 beign the hightest and 4.5 being the pie I had in dream world) I'd say about a 7 the CGI on the Lions particuly was pretty poor but I liked the movie over all, but 1 question

at the end at the safe colany they opend the gate and let her in all good, but eariler the Dark Seekers scaled the fresh princes building with ease why then could they not scale the fortification walls of the colany?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #119
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Batman vs Superman vs Alien vs Predator vs Rocky! Woot, I'd almost go to see that!!![/QUOTE]

only if it was in a cage match and the winners took on Freddy and Jason

saw the movie last night shamless plugs ,how many times did the Golden Arches (Mc Donalds ) get a run ,wasnt my favorite but watching it in my cinema room with 6 people was good we saved $90 of hard earned

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #120
Campo81

I'm gunna see it soon
Campo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post