Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #91
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Buy an XR6T for $45k, spend 12-15k on it will you around 380rwkw, or 500kw at the engine. More than than the SC GTS

Should give you around $80k to play with to fix any breakages in the driveline or make it stronger from the get go.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #92
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Buy an XR6T for $45k, spend 12-15k on it will you around 380rwkw, or 500kw at the engine. More than than the SC GTS

Should give you around $80k to play with to fix any breakages in the driveline or make it stronger from the get go.
Point in case.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #93
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Not really, the W427 was factory and limited in production, this is not. I think W427 owners will still be comfortable they have something special.
Spot on..

The kind of person who understands and can see and appreciate what it takes to make a special high performance production vehicle has the maturity and scope of vision to feel indifference to these aftermarket kits anyway...

Old 14-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #94
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx

itll take a lot more than 15k to get this thing up to GTS spec, its not all about the power. those things handle much better than an XR6T/XR8 and have the brakes to pull it up, the interior (actual leather is used), gadgets are also top shelf, the wheels and rubber are much better, the list goes on

youll get out of it cheaper than the SC GTS but nowhere near 80k cheaper
Old 14-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #95
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
youll get out of it cheaper than the SC GTS but nowhere near 80k cheaper
But you will get out of it cheaper, a lot cheaper. Probably enough to buy another Turbo, just incase, even after you spend money to make it handle as well as the GTS and is trimmed to your liking.
Just seems everyone is bagging this thing as expensive and because its not a Ford there must be something wrong with it. Also that Ford are not doing something on a similar level. Im just pointing out it can be done.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #96
BOSHOG
avenge me

i dont think youd have $40k left over for a turbo, after riding in a GTS and modding cars to the point of losing big dollars i dont think this is too overpriced considering there is "warranty"

personally i wouldnt buy one, but i do wish there was more of these cars because the tech ends up filtering down to models in our price range
Old 14-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #97
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your on the money, this will hurt HSV that is not yet evident.
I disagree, i dont think it will hurt HSV at all. Look at the price of the thing once built, thats a far whack of folding stuff to get to the final product. Sure HSV buyers arent that stupid are they? This car and the SC GTS are 2 completely different cars IMO hence the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Spot on..

The kind of person who understands and can see and appreciate what it takes to make a special high performance production vehicle has the maturity and scope of vision to feel indifference to these aftermarket kits anyway...
Ditto Norm although this car looks the goods it really doesnt have that 'special' aura and hype like the W427 and we NEVER had the warranty arguement with it either because it was a factory built car with a factory warranty
Old 14-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #98
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83

Ditto Norm although this car looks the goods it really doesnt have that 'special' aura and hype like the W427 and we NEVER had the warranty arguement with it either because it was a factory built car with a factory warranty
I agree with you here to a point, W427 was (and is and ever shall be) a fantastic car and a big middle finger to a lot of people who said something like it could never be done. I also agree with BOSHOG's point about these sorts of models being great because the technology in them DOES eventually filter through the rest of the range - remember when big brakes were only for V8's?

This car does nothing for me, I dont like the look of it but you can bet your bottom dollar it would go like stink and as per above a lot of people who do want refinement, who do want big power and who do want it at a locally produced product's price (ie dont want to shell out for an AMG etc) will appreciate it. Those who may have missed out on W427 or who just want something different to your every day HSV model will I reckon get a bit of a kick out of this - and it's something I would love to see Ford, Herrod, BPR - whoever, get up and do. DJR320 was a great thing - maybe not pushed hard enough but the principle and concept was there and it'd be a really wonderful thing to see another thing along those lines (and along the lines of this car) come out of the Blue Oval stable again.
Old 14-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #99
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I agree with you here to a point, W427 was (and is and ever shall be) a fantastic car and a big middle finger to a lot of people who said something like it could never be done. I also agree with BOSHOG's point about these sorts of models being great because the technology in them DOES eventually filter through the rest of the range - remember when big brakes were only for V8's?

This car does nothing for me, I dont like the look of it but you can bet your bottom dollar it would go like stink and as per above a lot of people who do want refinement, who do want big power and who do want it at a locally produced product's price (ie dont want to shell out for an AMG etc) will appreciate it. Those who may have missed out on W427 or who just want something different to your every day HSV model will I reckon get a bit of a kick out of this - and it's something I would love to see Ford, Herrod, BPR - whoever, get up and do. DJR320 was a great thing - maybe not pushed hard enough but the principle and concept was there and it'd be a really wonderful thing to see another thing along those lines (and along the lines of this car) come out of the Blue Oval stable again.
The one thing though that these aftermarket specials will never do is better the breed.
HSV get nothing from the exercise...
There is no flow on DNA or technology from them. Everything is a one off and usually thrown together with little thought to the total package or evolution of the breed, well there is no breed for the aftermarket..
Factory performance vehicles on the other hand show evolution and the adoption down the line or flow on of top end technology.

Old 14-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #100
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
The one thing though that these aftermarket specials will never do is better the breed.
HSV get nothing from the exercise...
There is no flow on DNA or technology from them. Everything is a one off and usually thrown together with little thought to the total package or evolution of the breed, well there is no breed for the aftermarket..
Factory performance vehicles on the other hand show evolution and the adoption down the line or flow on of top end technology.
Sorry I should clarify there - what I meant was that the 427 tech will filter thru, not the Walkinshaw stuff. EG the 427's brakes now available on GTS etc.
Old 14-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #101
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I disagree, i dont think it will hurt HSV at all. Look at the price of the thing once built, thats a far whack of folding stuff to get to the final product. Sure HSV buyers arent that stupid are they? This car and the SC GTS are 2 completely different cars IMO hence the price.

It’s about brand purity. Walkingshaw can adorn the likes of the humble SS. What does the name Walkingshaw stand for? That of a businessman of questionable distinction?

Are they exhausts to anyone who wants them or tack on bonnet bugles to others.

It matters not what smoke lay before the mirror. Dilution is dilution and by essence can only harm brand equity.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 14-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #102
G6E Turbo 2

With the greatest respect who would pay $133K for a Commodore
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #103
HSE2

I would if it were the right product.
Old 14-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #104
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
With the greatest respect who would pay $133K for a Commodore

If you had the disposable income and someone made the right product, would you spend $133k on a falcon?
Old 14-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #105
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
If you had the disposable income and someone made the right product, would you spend $133k on a falcon?
Yes and no, It would have to be fair way removed from anything we have already, not any one component shared. But for that sort of money were getting into some pretty good euro territory. But as a modified vehicle it is pretty good for price in all seriousness with the base price being pretty close to $100k for the GTS. If it was a package for any commodore, from base model SS up this package would sell pretty well, the customer base and market is there for the Holdens.
Old 14-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #106
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I never quite understand the - I'll never pay $133k for a Commodore or Falcon line. If either were to bring out a vehicle that was aesthetically pleasing to me and having superior performance to a comparable European, Japanese or American car that I can buy here, you're goddamned right I'd buy it.

The E2 GTS with a blower on it. Hmmm, not sure. Series 1, more likely as it's less ugly. I don't like the look of the E2, but if I did, I would quite happily compare it against a European counterpart of the same price bracket on a performance level and make my judgement based on where I'd feel I'd get most joy out of my dollars - and that's never reliant on the badge on the front of my car, especially at that price.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #107
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id spend 140k on a Falcon if it had a significantly superior level of luxury appointment well above anything available in the base Donner Ford range as well as a superior level of on road performance in every facet, not just straight line speed and acceleration, that means handling, braking too..
FPV and HSV compete very well against the euro's in some areas of performance, but really struggle to compete with refinements, interior luxury appointments and attention to detail....
140k wont buy you much from any euro brand in a large performance sedan (5/E series/ A6 etc)...
If FPV and HSV could get close they'd attract some of those cross shoppers, garish body kits and unrefined "grunt" that feels detatched from the total package wont attract many....

Last edited by 4Vman; 14-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #108
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trust me... it doesn't meet EPA's and ADR's.......
Walkinshaw was set up primarily to dodge that bullet because aftermarket tuners can produce kits without having to meet ADR's.
When you buy one you don't buy a Walkinshaw 480 GTS, you buy a HSV GTS, the extra stuff is treated as add ons... Calling it a "model" is a bit misleading because it isn't a HSV model as such, its a std GTS modified by Walkinshaw
Not in WA. Something as simple as a PCM tune needs IM240 testing as soon as the legislation is introduced. Aftermarket cats and the like are a thing of the past when this law is introduced. There's a lot of cars over here Norm that have been flagged as VOI's - once the legislation is passed it will be a nightmare for vehicle owners who think they can run around with their 500oddrwkw car and get away with it.

I'm with you, nothing beats a factory performance car such as the upcoming S/C FPV.
Old 14-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #109
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
Not in WA. Something as simple as a PCM tune needs IM240 testing as soon as the legislation is introduced. Aftermarket cats and the like are a thing of the past when this law is introduced. There's a lot of cars over here Norm that have been flagged as VOI's - once the legislation is passed it will be a nightmare for vehicle owners who think they can run around with their 500oddrwkw car and get away with it.

I'm with you, nothing beats a factory performance car such as the upcoming S/C FPV.
Seems like a good reason to move out of WA to me.. :togo:

J/K..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #110
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Seems like a good reason to move out of WA to me.. :togo:
Nope. Go to a workshop that can meet the requirements for IM240. It's really quite simple to get compliance if the shop knows it's stuff. Having said that, 100cpsi cats or non pump fuel blends are strictly for off road use only.

380rwkw out of a BPT S/C FG XR8 with the factory exhaust system will pass IM240, engineering and DPI licensing. Plenty of power for most.
Old 14-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #111
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon

Its going to get tougher and tougher everywhere, soon it wont be worth the effort, cost and heartache modifying vehicles, especially new ones...
Even more reason to support the manufacturers to ensure the factory performance and appointment levels keep most happy.

Old 14-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #112
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
HAHAHA Im sorry but anyone who spends $100k on an aussie sedan off the showroom floor is nuts, so many better cars around for that kind of $$$.
I AGREE 100%
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #113
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i never get the 'who would pay x amont of dollars for an australian car'
remember all the euro cars started as a base package and have been changed.
c63(best sounding v8 ever) is 'just' a c series done up
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #114
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Walkinshaw don't have to meet ADR's or do all the testing that the Factory companies like HSV and FPV do, this car is going to be about $140k in your driveway... but its an aftermarket modified vehicle, i can't see how anyone can compare it with the W427 on any level other than the power output and lets be honest, what are you going to do with 480kw on the street legally????
Im sure CAPA offer F6 kits that make the Std F6 look tame too... but what's the point? its still a modified vehicle...
Ive driven a W427 and i can honestly say enough is enough... 380kw is more than enough power for a road going sedan and anyone looking for more is either racing it or not driving it legally.....
I want a fast car..............
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #115
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Actually i think he might be right.... if the car color doesnt match the compliance plate "technically" its a problem... Not sure what's required to get past that one.
The HDT cars start out the factory color, i think they ask you to order black? then get stripped and repainted.

The W427's painted panorama had to go through a similar strip/repaint too, and were plated by HSV diferently.

How could you miss "blue"
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #116
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
140k wont buy you much from any euro brand in a large performance sedan (5/E series/ A6 etc)... A
I agree with you there 4vman but not a sane person with a morgage and 2-3 kids is going to spend 250k on a euro sedan! Take someone elses fall and get a 3-5 year old one! Which is still far superior than what hsv or fpv could produce!

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=25&silo=1011

145k gets you a very nice package in euro sedans!
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #117
ash68

if its not ford who really cares LOL
ash68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #118
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash68
if its not ford who really cares LOL
people who like cars regardless of brand. ive driven a e1 gts and i felt sad when i got in my xr8 after tat.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #119
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
I agree with you there 4vman but not a sane person with a morgage and 2-3 kids is going to spend 250k on a euro sedan! Take someone elses fall and get a 3-5 year old one! Which is still far superior than what hsv or fpv could produce!

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=25&silo=1011

145k gets you a very nice package in euro sedans!
It gets you a car that's out of warranty and an insane amount of dollars for any repairs, let alone servicing.

Compared to the GTS Walky, it has less grunt, the appointments may be comparable, the major difference is the badge on the front vs the lack of warranty over the next 3 years.

If I was given both vehicles free and square and asked to pony up any dollars for servicing and repairs over the next 3, I'd pick the Walky.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #120
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
remember all the euro cars started as a base package and have been changed.
c63(best sounding v8 ever) is 'just' a c series done up
incorrect... not just bolt on but chassis modifications now from AMG done to the donor car.

"The C63 AMG is reportedly the first AMG Mercedes designed from the ground up for performance, as compared to previous AMG cars which essentially featured "bolt on" performance modifications. The C63 has a revised front end architecture that is taken from the CLK 63 AMG Black series."
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post