Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #91
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bridal Party Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
I'd rather not get dragged into the weeds on specifics but many would agree that Australia has become a nanny state. For instance, I bet if you were caught doing a burnout in the 70s you'd get a clip around the ears and be sent on your way. These days you have to face court for suspected traffic offences, where you have to prove your innocence.
why have they clamped down, don't avoid the question
Old 31-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #92
iCat
doof doof doof doof

I loved the vid. And therefore I guess I am an immature bogan
Old 31-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #93
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I rate a good skid all that was missing was indiscriminate gunfire through an open window of the car takes me back to before nanny state days….

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #94
superyob
Banned

^^^^^^
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #95
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I'd rather not get dragged into the weeds on specifics but many would agree that Australia has become a nanny state. For instance, I bet if you were caught doing a burnout in the 70s you'd get a clip around the ears and be sent on your way. These days you have to face court for suspected traffic offences, where you have to prove your innocence.

I'm not condoning the actions of those in the video, just offering broader perspective.
Where is your proof that people believe we are becoming a Nanny state, other than hearing a few comments on this forum from people using this comment I do not hear this being stated in my day to day conversations being discussed with people on motoring topics.

Further more in the 70's if you were caught doing burnouts you would have been charged for dangerous driving which is fact as I know people who were when caught out.

Hoon offense to me is an extension to the driving dangerous offense.

PS: For your comment getting a clip around the ears by the police, well that practice still exists today.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #96
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Where I live is populated with RAAF families.
Where I live is also populated with low socio economic "drains on the economy".
Where I live is about 10 minutes drive to Willowbank Raceway.

If I see dropkicks trying to do burnouts in my street (apart from wishing I had a high powered nail gun) they get reported to Policelink via the app with photographic evidence. FFS Willowbank is 10 minutes drive up the road, waste your tyres there with no restrictions and don't cause trouble for the families that live in the area.
Old 31-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #97
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree there is a time and place for everything! HOWEVER, when and where can you do burnouts,drifts and general hooning around in Victoria?? Calder (hardly ever open, costs alot to drive around the track) Heathcote, abit of a drive from Melb to just drive down a 1/4 mile/straight line racing? Skid Pans,,,,,again abit of a cost to enter. Rules, licenses and vehicle scrutineering etc.
You really want to stop the issue, give people more of a avenue. Cars,burnouts and speeding is an addiction like a drug however i dont see any programs or assistance for that like you do with other crimes and addictions. Much easier to fine people, impound cars etc.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #98
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 007 View Post
I agree there is a time and place for everything! HOWEVER, when and where can you do burnouts,drifts and general hooning around in Victoria?? Calder (hardly ever open, costs alot to drive around the track) Heathcote, abit of a drive from Melb to just drive down a 1/4 mile/straight line racing? Skid Pans,,,,,again abit of a cost to enter. Rules, licenses and vehicle scrutineering etc.
You really want to stop the issue, give people more of a avenue. Cars,burnouts and speeding is an addiction like a drug however i dont see any programs or assistance for that like you do with other crimes and addictions. Much easier to fine people, impound cars etc.
Winton this weekend, EasterNats, give it a go

anyway, just coz you have no-where 'legal' to do it does NOT give you the right to do it on public streets, particularly in built-up areas
Old 31-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #99
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree there is a time and place for everything! HOWEVER, when and where can you do burnouts,drifts and general hooning around in Victoria?? Calder (hardly ever open, costs alot to drive around the track) Heathcote, abit of a drive from Melb to just drive down a 1/4 mile/straight line racing? Skid Pans,,,,,again abit of a cost to enter. Rules, licenses and vehicle scrutineer etc.
That is said by every lazy young bloke who has zero respect for any one doing the right thing.

I travel 4.5-5hrs to race @ Heathcoate and spend a heap of money doing it.So stop with the poor me no where to go blame society snot. They also have a burnout pad thats $60 for as many as you can do or race on test and tune days @ $60 for as many laps as you can do.Event every mth too. Excuses and blame is how people are going now days instead of solutions. Thinking it's OK to do so because you have no where near within 10km's is a cop out and doesn't make it anywhere near right.Can't afford it, work harder save more and or move closer. Wait till you try to do this with real bills and a family to support. If you save that money that was for sets and sets of 2nd hand tyres for burnouts there's your travel and entry. Not that hard really.

Remember you CHOOSE to be involved with cars,society never made you do it so you can blame you and no one else.Just like if you choose to be drugo. Thats not my fault that someone choose's that life style and I have zero sympathy for anyone who doe's. Having a reformed addict in our immediate family I do know what they go thru but she can not blame her up bringing for making her do it as the rest of us didn't.

Rules licenses and scrutinering save lives via making sure you can follow basic guidelines,observe the local insurance policies and criteria, support and invest back into the local track and best of all make sure sure your car is safe for use. Why is that a bad or stupid idea? Would you want to race next to guy with a dodgey POS ?

The programs and assistance for motorsports are called racing circuits and drag strips. I don't need assistance and never ask for it I need more time to do so but work pays for racing so it goe's hand in hand. But by costing money and having some rules it doe's keep idiots away but makes it safer...win win.

There's no excuse for what them twats were doing and thinking it's OK cos it's easier for you is a cop out.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #100
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this was Back in "pre nanny state" days, Habib would have had a mattock through the windscreen by the old crazy dude in number 10. Cops would have backed him as well, "sorry officer it just slipped out of my hands while I was digging out that tree".
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #101
Tom Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
why have they clamped down, don't avoid the question
To hazard a guess I'd say they've forgotten about all the stuff they used to get up to (alzheimers), and decided it was a good idea to ban anything that might be dangerous. For our own good of course.
Tom Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #102
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
I believe he was being 100% sarcastic...
Yeah, my bad, i should've been able to tell by the tone in his voice and the look on his face..
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #103
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
To hazard a guess I'd say they've forgotten about all the stuff they used to get up to (alzheimers), and decided it was a good idea to ban anything that might be dangerous. For our own good of course.
Spot on...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 AM   #104
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Skid Pans,,,,,again abit of a cost to enter. Rules, licenses and vehicle scrutineering etc.
When car venues have rules, licenses and vehicle scrutineering they are saying even though this is to some extent a controlled environment it is still possible something can go wrong therefore they work at limiting their liability by ensuring you meet basic requirements.

When someone does an illegal burnout on the street no one scrutineers the vehicle, no one knows the driving experience or ability of the driver and no one provides basic rules where the area is clear of other vehicles, objects and people. No one tries to lessen the chances of something going wrong.

Which brings me to the point some have made regarding the increased nanny state phenomenon, I do believe we are over regulated in some areas though in others it is just a progression of safety standards.

I remember unlimited speeds, I remember no RBT, I remember street racing at the drop of a hat, I remember light infringements for some seriously silly and dangerous driving practices and I don’t have Alzheimer’s, when growing up in the 60's & 70's I remember friends and people who didn’t survive because of the lack of or enforcement of road rules.

Burnouts in a public area are a potential danger, one mistake can mean someone suffers so what gives the driver of a car doing a burnout in a public street the right to put others at risk? In this day and age where an effort is made to reduce deaths you no longer have that right.

I have the car bug and I have mixed feelings when I see car related videos of this type so when I watched this I had too very strong thoughts. Wow, wow, wow, some really nice cars doing some great skids and what truly stupid people these drivers and hangers on are.

I enjoyed the fun of watching it but I also knew how wrong it was and I for one would never do such a thing to put myself or others at risk no matter how fantastic a driver I might think I am and I believe these people also don’t have the right to blatantly break laws that are in place for the reason of common sense safety.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #105
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sorry, wrong answer
Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #106
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I remember unlimited speeds, I remember no RBT, I remember street racing at the drop of a hat, I remember light infringements for some seriously silly and dangerous driving practices and I don’t have Alzheimer’s, when growing up in the 60's & 70's I remember friends and people who didn’t survive because of the lack of or enforcement of road rules
I remember those days as well, over 1000 people killed in 1970 in Victoria alone, last year Victoria had a road toll of under 290, the reasons why? Some of it enforcement, some of it licensing standards, some of it education, however the majority of it is vehicle design

Some of these ******* who think it is OK to act like ****-wits on public roads ought to do what I did for 13 or so year, go volunteer, but volunteer to your local road accident response team ,be it fire or SES, you get a different perception of life when every week or in some cases every day extracting (mostly dead) people from car crashes, some should try it, it is fun (not)
Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #107
Itsme
Experienced Member

Exactly ^^^^^
In my last profession attending fatalities ended my career, not a pretty sight.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #108
Tom Tucker

Quote:
sorry, wrong answer
Hmmm, how about the reliable income stream generated by banning things that most people would ordinarily do, then imposing large fines for enforcement?
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #109
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
Dude, you need to relax!
I took that comment as being tougue-in-cheek :-)

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #110
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dudes get married

Skids dropped

Yells at clouds in outrageous rages
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #111
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmm, how about the reliable income stream generated by banning things that most people would ordinarily do, then imposing large fines for enforcement?
nah, you still don't get it - hence is why there is an issue, no more chances for you sorry, your opinion is relegated to the bottom
Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #112
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, the old whining cry of "They should provide somewhere for us to be bogans!". Usually when someone points out there is a dragstrip nearby but you would have to pay to use it.

Sure they will. And who pays? Who buys the land, who pays to plan and build the complex? Who employs people to run it? Who organises the meets? Who, more importantly, pays the huge insurance premiums? The list is endless.

You could, of course, just stop doing burnouts, street racing, and trying to drift in suburban streets...or is that just too hard...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #113
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Where is your proof that people believe we are becoming a Nanny state, other than hearing a few comments on this forum from people using this comment I do not hear this being stated in my day to day conversations being discussed with people on motoring topics.

Further more in the 70's if you were caught doing burnouts you would have been charged for dangerous driving which is fact as I know people who were when caught out.

Hoon offense to me is an extension to the driving dangerous offense.

PS: For your comment getting a clip around the ears by the police, well that practice still exists today.
As if, first you would have to donate a weeks wages to the cops before getting the clip around the ears, remember that's what traffic police are there for...raising revenue

Last edited by tapeworm; 01-04-2015 at 07:26 PM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #114
Tom Tucker

Quote:
nah, you still don't get it - hence is why there is an issue, no more chances for you sorry, your opinion is relegated to the bottom
Fair enough. Too many chances given to **** clowns these days.

And you're right, everyone has an opinion, but few are informed.

Not sure what relegation of an opinion to the bottom involves, but I respect your conviction good Sir.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #115
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ask yourself WHY (in your opinion) your civil liberties have been 'eroded', could it be we (baby boomers) behaved ourselves a little better than recent generations, a little bit of 'time and place' maybe
I call bull on baby boomers being any better than anyone. I work with a large range of age groups, and see not one as better than the other. In fact often baby boomers are the just as inconsiderate as young people i.e. being on the phone when someone is serving you, and not saying thank you, or please. Australians in general are rude.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #116
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and this has to do with behaving on the road now compared to the 60's and 70's how?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #117
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I am just going to cruise around churches over easter with the hero streamers attached and rip huge skids with Habib at random when we come across a wedding in progress, you know it will be fully sic….the noise, the smoke the footage of your wedding on ACA next week whats not to like the few people that watch ACA for the factual reporting will see the brides dress and another sensationalised story about every time a V8 is started 10 baby fur seals club themselves to death.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #118
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Modern Australia has lost the plot. Bring back the 60s and 70s with real politicians, real policemen, and outside of suburbia and major cities you could drive however fast you want and it was single carriageway. Would give up anything for a modern re-enactment of HO up the hume in the last XR8 or last of the GT without getting the car impounded and being put in maximum security cell for it..
As some one who lives outside of suburbia let me just say we love nothing more than watching some ******* idiot cut a sick skid at the intersection out the front of our house.

We're at the point where I wont let my kids ride around to their friends place on their pushies (was a right of passage in the 70's/80's because I don't want one of these ****s hitting one of my kids

The best thing in resent history though was a few weeks ago when my mum rang me to ask me to install a new letter box after some rocket scientist was going too fast down her street (also rural and outside suburbia) the guy hit the shoulder then the small embankment then the letter box my dad built and installed 3 weeks before he died. this Mensa applicant hit it with such force it ripped the front strut out of the car and put the rest of the letter box through his window.

I suppose back in the 60's and 70's he wouldn't have had air bags and laminated windscreens to protect him

This guy didn't get his car impounded mum didn't even call the cops, she figured if this idiot didn't learn from totaling his car on a letter box a fine from the cops wouldn't do it.

Personally I think part of the problem is back then you had to work hard to buy a car, even harder to buy a fast car, now every dick head can get finance on a **** box that will rip a skid, and when they **** that they just get another one

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #119
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post

Personally I think part of the problem is back then you had to work hard to buy a car, even harder to buy a fast car, now every dick head can get finance on a **** box that will rip a skid, and when they **** that they just get another one
You know...I think you might be onto something.

Many years back, we held in awe the guys in town who'd spent a fortune on cars that actually had power and could really go. The rest of us plebs had low powered cars that might be able to chirp the wheels if we really tried (and if the diff didn't let go). Our cars weren't fast, they weren't powerful, and they weren't very flash. Even the ones of us who had nice looking cars usually couldn't afford to spend much on what was under the bonnet to make it go faster...unless chrome counts.

Now, even a lot of four cylinder cars have power to shame V8's of days gone by. V8's are putting out power levels now that hyper-expensive supercars of years past could only dream of. Christ, the last ESP Ford with the legendary 351 only barely put out 140-odd kw.

Given the cheap second hand prices of some cars...even performance V8's of ten to fifteen years ago...young guys can now purchase a car easily on even basic finance which would outperform any of the legendary supercars Australian makers have wheeled out of the factory, with performance levels that would have been simply unobtainable "back in the old days" no matter how much money we had.

Basically, it's easier and cheaper to be a truly dangerous hoon than ever before...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #120
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and this has to do with behaving on the road now compared to the 60's and 70's how?
I just believe you are looking at it through rose coloured glasses. Baby boomers are the ones who taught the following generations. Other countries have had the same drop in death rates with cars. Many don't have "hoon" legislation, or the fixation on speed. Every one I have driven in has also been far more courteous.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: