Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Best bang for your bucks small car under 25 grand poll
Ford : Fiesta 21 9.33%
Ford : Focus 55 24.44%
Holden: Astra 10 4.44%
Holden: Viva 0 0%
Honda: Civic 5 2.22%
Honda: Jazz 0 0%
Hyundai: Accent 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Elantra 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Getz 4 1.78%
Kia: Cerrato 2 0.89%
Mazda: 2 1 0.44%
Mazda: 3 46 20.44%
Mitsubitchi: Colt 2 0.89%
Mitsubitshi: Lancer 10 4.44%
Nissan: Pulsar 0 0%
Nissan: Tida 0 0%
Peugeot:XR 5dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XR 3dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XT 5dr 1.6 1 0.44%
Peugeot: C 5dr 1.6 0 0%
Suberu: Impreza 15 6.67%
Suzuki: Swift 11 4.89%
Toyota: Corolla 7 3.11%
Toyota: Yaris 3 1.33%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.9 TDI 23 10.22%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.6 3 1.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #91
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Good to see you engineering knowledge told you about the other advantages of having a close ratio box. And you seem to have forgotten about the sport suspension. And not a mention about the brakes. I only mentioned the ST to show that even discs fade.

Also good to see you think that 0-100time is the only factor to consider about cars.

Nice selective reading tool.

Now I see... This all started when a Fiesta was faster than a Corolla Sportivo

Which has...

Sports Suspension
A close "Ratio" 6 Speed Gearbox
Oh and 4 wheel discs...
Not to mention more power than the base Corolla...
And a number of features not available in the base Corolla...

Oh and Much Quicker than a Fiesta...

Now that I am spliting hairs over acceleration times I am the bad guy...

0.3 of second... Thats reaction time, 9 times out of 10 a Zetec and an LX would be equal except the LX owner has more money in the bank... :MrT_anim:

I think a close ratio box is wasted in the Fiesta they should have put the dollars into.... You guessed it 4 wheel discs... :thebirds:

"Tool"...

Now I have yet insult anyone in this thread... You are out of line...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #92
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compare the price between a new corolla sportivo and a Fiesta. Rather large difference isn't it? Also you don't have to rev the shite outa the fiesta to move. Your still forgetting the other advantages of having a close ratio box. Why do you seem to think acceleration only comes from a standing start. In not gonna tell you becuase thats too easy.

Why do you insist so heavily in having disc brakes when the fiesta does more than just fine without them?

The ST suspension (On the WQ zetec) on a fiesta makes it one of the best handling cars in the world on par with the clio sport.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #93
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Interesting reading guys...

Mowog - All of those added features you mention for the Sportivo are great!! Just one problem...its a Toyota

On a serious note, this thread/poll would be an interesting one in 3-5 years time...new model Corolla, update of Fiesta/Focus, Swift GTi?, Tiida replacement (surely!!), new model Golf (which VW are trying to make economical to build), new Polo?
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 14-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #94
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
"Tool"...

Now I have yet insult anyone in this thread... You are out of line...
You have yet to insult anyone? Re-read some of your old posts.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 14-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #95
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

the colts go hard but they need some handeling issues fixed, springs shokers wide tyres swaybars 16inch mags and you will have a fun car even with a stock motor,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 15-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #96
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well a guy who comes into my work who has a Porsche Carrera also has a Honda Jazz so that's got to say something. I reckon they are not to bad looking cars, plus Honda are know for reliability. But then again Honda are also very expensive re spare parts.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #97
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Well a guy who comes into my work who has a Porsche Carrera also has a Honda Jazz so that's got to say something. I reckon they are not to bad looking cars, plus Honda are know for reliability. But then again Honda are also very expensive re spare parts.
My best mate's dad test drove a Honda Jazz in '04 before they eventually bought a Renault Clio 1.6, I was with them, at the time he said it was the worst car ever he's even driven (in over 40 years of driving in Australia and Europe). I was in the car with them, it was an absolute POS. The back seat sucks, the ride is crap, it was slow, it sounded harsh, felt cheap, looked cheap... etc.

As for Honda reliability, well, overrated comes to mind.

:
Old 15-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #98
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I've never had any experience myself. Just that I thought noting someone who has a Porsche and Honda Jazz was worth noting. I am however accustomed to harsh ride and I absolutely love it to death

Last edited by MITCHAY; 15-10-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 15-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #99
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
You have yet to insult anyone? Re-read some of your old posts.
I have not ever made it personal by calling someone a tool...

If you are insulted about the negative comments about your car then I would suggest that at some level you think my doubts about the Fiesta have some truth in them...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #100
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Interesting reading guys...

Mowog - All of those added features you mention for the Sportivo are great!! Just one problem...its a Toyota

On a serious note, this thread/poll would be an interesting one in 3-5 years time...new model Corolla, update of Fiesta/Focus, Swift GTi?, Tiida replacement (surely!!), new model Golf (which VW are trying to make economical to build), new Polo?
You know when I was looking for a replacement car I never even considered a Corolla it was after all a Toyota white goods on wheels boring stuff...

I saw a Sportivo in a dealer and thought what the hell take it for a drive...
It is the most unlike any other Toyota I have driven...

Many of the things that people think are a negative of this car because of arm chair road testers are actually what make it a good car (not great)

The need to rev it to make it go... This 1 is always brought up this engine unlike 99% of production engines is designed to rev to the redline and it does it in a way that just begs it to be driven like its stolen..

Yup each year brings graet new cars that why I am ready to move on and sell the Corolla.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #101
I Wish
Starter Motor

Wife and i test drove a few Veedubs yesterday.

The diesels are very very deceiving. They feel slow but in reality are quite quickly.

We found that the 1.9TDi polo was too noisy and the base model 1.9TDi Trendline was the pick of the bunch (apart from the Polo GTi).

6 speed /boz and engine was a very nice drive. Torque was unbelievable and accellerating up a few hills in 5th and 6 th was amazing.
Old 15-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #102
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
You know when I was looking for a replacement car I never even considered a Corolla it was after all a Toyota white goods on wheels boring stuff...

I saw a Sportivo in a dealer and thought what the hell take it for a drive...
It is the most unlike any other Toyota I have driven...

Many of the things that people think are a negative of this car because of arm chair road testers are actually what make it a good car (not great)

The need to rev it to make it go... This 1 is always brought up this engine unlike 99% of production engines is designed to rev to the redline and it does it in a way that just begs it to be driven like its stolen..

Yup each year brings graet new cars that why I am ready to move on and sell the Corolla.
As can be seen in the poll, everyone values certain qualities in cars differently...probably says alot about the Fiesta Vs Sportivo debate.

Forgot to add the updated Renault Clio, that may make things interesting if Renault Aust. get things right (ie marketing).
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 15-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #103
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Good to see the focus is at the top, shame about its poor south african build quality and finish.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 15-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #104
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Good to see the focus is at the top, shame about its poor south african build quality and finish.
How is the build quality bad? The South African Focus is lineball for build quality with the Oz Falcon/Tez/etc.

The Golf is built in SA, but you don't hear people complaining about the poor South African build quality...(although quality has dropped a little from the Mk4 Golf...but not enough for it to be deemed a poorly built car).

Old 15-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #105
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
I have not ever made it personal by calling someone a tool...

If you are insulted about the negative comments about your car then I would suggest that at some level you think my doubts about the Fiesta have some truth in them...
Ok, I'll show you where you effectively called me a ****er.

Quote:
Quote:
I beat a Sportivo w/exhaust in in-gear acceleration on the freeway... in my Fiesta Zetec. 74kW 146Nm vs 141kW 180Nm? :hihi:
I let plenty of wnakers beat me, just not worth the effort in many cases.

A Fiesta Zetec cant even keep up with a Barina SRi...
That's what got me to participate in the argument in the first place. Call someone a ****er, directly or indirectly, and expect retaliation. Otherwise, what you think of my car doesn't concern me in the slightest.

:
Old 15-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #106
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Ok, I'll show you where you effectively called me a ****er.

That's what got me to participate in the argument in the first place. Call someone a ****er, directly or indirectly, and expect retaliation. Otherwise, what you think of my car doesn't concern me in the slightest.
wnaker was a generalisation not a directed comment...

But if the shoe fits...

It would seem you do care what I think about your shopping car otherwise you would have ignored the whole thread...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #107
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
wnaker was a generalisation not a directed comment...

But if the shoe fits...

It would seem you do care what I think about your shopping car otherwise you would have ignored the whole thread...
My above post is the only reason I continued with anything at all in this thread.

As for what you think of my car, I couldn't care less. Its a German car, which in my eyes makes it superior to anything that Japan/Korea/Malaysia etc etc can ever produce.

:
Old 15-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #108
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
As can be seen in the poll, everyone values certain qualities in cars differently...probably says alot about the Fiesta Vs Sportivo debate.

Forgot to add the updated Renault Clio, that may make things interesting if Renault Aust. get things right (ie marketing).
No other make was ever going to get a fair hearing on a Ford forum thats to be expected...

As for the Fiesta vs the Sportivo.... Well thats just been sport :hihi:

I have had some fun with it but it would seem the shopping car owners are getting tense and defensive about the true sporting nature of their car(s).
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #109
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
How is the build quality bad? The South African Focus is lineball for build quality with the Oz Falcon/Tez/etc.

The Golf is built in SA, but you don't hear people complaining about the poor South African build quality...(although quality has dropped a little from the Mk4 Golf...but not enough for it to be deemed a poorly built car).
We own an LS and i went to buy another a few weeks back for one of my friends.

Paint and finish is a disgrace, ours you can see all kinds of blemishes around the paint and the dealer I do a few purchases through commented on how **** poor they actually are.

You then have all the other issues with them not start etc, Ford cant even get ours to steer straight.
Old 15-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #110
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
My above post is the only reason I continued with anything at all in this thread.

As for what you think of my car, I couldn't care less. Its a German car, which in my eyes makes it superior to anything that Japan/Korea/Malaysia etc etc can ever produce.
Superior...? How you need to expalain that one...

In its price range it might be a good buy which is why I took one for a test drive when I was looking for a small car. It was too small under powered and not that good to drive.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #111
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
We own an LS and i went to buy another a few weeks back for one of my friends.

Paint and finish is a disgrace, ours you can see all kinds of blemishes around the paint and the dealer I do a few purchases through commented on how **** poor they actually are.

You then have all the other issues with them not start etc, Ford cant even get ours to steer straight.
One or two cars doesn't make them all bad.

Is yours an early build? They were a bit patchy I believe...they offer good quality for the money. Maybe yours was built on a Friday

Old 15-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #112
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:

This same comment comes up with the Corolla because the Sportivo is an SA built car as well. I would have to say that the paint and trim fit and finish is better on the Corolla than it is on my Territory. That said I am mostly happy with the finish of the Territory and I can live with it because its such a great thing to drive. :eclipsee_
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #113
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
No other make was ever going to get a fair hearing on a Ford forum thats to be expected...

As for the Fiesta vs the Sportivo.... Well thats just been sport :hihi:

I have had some fun with it but it would seem the shopping car owners are getting tense and defensive about the true sporting nature of their car(s).
For sure, but I think there's alot of people here that are open minded enough to recognise that there are ALOT of small cars out on the market that offer good BFYB for less than $25000.

Old 15-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #114
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One or two cars doesn't make them all bad.

Is yours an early build? They were a bit patchy I believe...they offer good quality for the money. Maybe yours was built on a Friday
No, 90% of them i looked at last week had paint defects where there were runs in the paint or just rough panel beating around the edges.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #115
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thats no good. Oh well, doesn't really bother me, mine is great so I can't complain.

As for my vote, I'm sticking with the Fiesta atm. Best BFYB under $25000. If the price range was under $28000, things would be even more interesting.

Old 15-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #116
mowog
Discovery 4

My vote would be the Suzuki Swift Sport.

It is a different car to the base model swift with more power and equipment to backup the Sport tag. Its still a shopping car but at least it has subtance to backup the Sport tag...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #117
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Polo TDi for me, gota love the diesels.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #118
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

you should think about the Renault Clio sport. its a small car but reminded me of racing minis from the 70's fast fast fast you can be as brave as you like in cornering. i was impressed.

just too small and not luxobarge enough for me in my old age but a great car better than the Peugots on the list
Old 15-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #119
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i picked the holden astra - the latest model astras are very nice to drive.
Old 15-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #120
Boss 290

Quote:
Thats no good. Oh well, doesn't really bother me, mine is great so I can't complain.

As for my vote, I'm sticking with the Fiesta atm. Best BFYB under $25000. If the price range was under $28000, things would be even more interesting.
a ford salesman said the focus was voted number 1 small-medium car under 28 grand by the nrma....for people saying the build quality is poor on the focus or fiesta may not have seen many....i just went on saturday to buy a focus for my uncle and every focus we looked at has great finish...the up graded focus steering wheel feels so good. the dash was a nice soft feeling similar to the gt. yeh there is plastic arm rest and so on but it still looks good and matched perfect with the rest of the interior...we couldnt find any squeaky bits and the seats looks really classy and the cloth trim is very rugged and seems to be able to hand everyday life...the ride was excellent, it was very smoth (the automatic makes it feel a little smoother then my manual gt) the suspension was great...brakes are strong for the little car...it was roomy. engine was torquey and their was no loud road noise...the only negetive is that i dont like hub caps and you have to get the smooth pack for the cl...but with that comes the great steering wheels, electric mirrors,alloy wheels and cruise control...it would be nice if the tyres were low profile and an inch bigger...but i suppose thats why you get the lx and zetec

Last edited by Boss 290; 15-10-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Closed Thread