Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #91
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
All I can say guys you want to try buying a new car when your under 25!!
When I was at Uni and 20yo, went shopping with a mate for a new car. He was paying and only had a budget of about $5000.

However, that didn't stop him looking at and getting drives in brand new Celicas, RX7s, Supras and 300ZXs (This was 1989).

When the dealer asked him how much he was looking to spend, he'd tell them "Dad's picking up the tab, so when I've decided I'll give you his fax no. to send the invoice. And don't worry about rego, as we'll be putting consular corps plates on it."

We used to borrow his gf's car to visit these dealers and that really did have consular plates on it, even though it was a 10yo Corolla. That seemed to persuade the dealers he was genuine.
Old 27-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #92
magoo66
JAFO

I always know exactly what I want before I walk into a dealership, so in the early 90's I was looking around to buy a car, when I thought that I spied what I wanted in the back of a yard. Went into a dealership and had hardly walked past the gate when the salesman pounced. He asked me what I was looking for and I told him that I wanted an XC 351 Fairmont GXL sedan and asked him if he had one. He said no, but I've got a 6cyl GXL. I said nah mate, not interested and started to leave. Then he says that I should have a look as it's a really nice car and started telling how much better it was because a 250 has much better fuel consumption than a 351. I just looked at the guy and said do you really think that a guy who's looking for 351 gives a toss about fuel consumption, he says no. I said, so what chance do you think you've got of selling me a 6cyl, he say none. Right, seeya.

Had a mate who'd been doing some painting at home and had to duck out to get some stuff from the hardware store in his daggy close and his wifes old Laser. The Monaro had just come out and he was interested in getting one, so while he was out he went into a Holden dealership to have a look at one. As he opens the door, a salesman walks up and says don't worry about it mate you won't get your fat @rse in there and you probably can't afford it anyway. So he just shuts the door and goes home. On Monday on his way home from work, dressed in a suit, he goes back to the dealership and pulls his 7 series Beemer right up next to the showroom door so the salesman could see it. He never bought a Monaro, but he did have a nice long chat with the sales manager.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #93
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo66
Had a mate who'd been doing some painting at home and had to duck out to get some stuff from the hardware store in his daggy close and his wifes old Laser. The Monaro had just come out and he was interested in getting one, so while he was out he went into a Holden dealership to have a look at one. As he opens the door, a salesman walks up and says don't worry about it mate you won't get your fat @rse in there and you probably can't afford it anyway. So he just shuts the door and goes home. On Monday on his way home from work, dressed in a suit, he goes back to the dealership and pulls his 7 series Beemer right up next to the showroom door so the salesman could see it. He never bought a Monaro, but he did have a nice long chat with the sales manager.

My old man wears crap clothes on purpose when he oes looking at big purchases, normally stubbie shorts, old t shirts and japanese safety shoes. He justifies this by saying anyone who will not talk to him, is not worth dealing with.

For example, he wore this when they bought their last 3 cars (Fairlane Ghia,BMW and then Merc, no finance involved) and also when they bought their beachside apartment in Observation Rise, Scarborough WA.

Just goes to show, clothes are not a good indicator of money.
Old 27-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #94
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
My old man wears crap clothes on purpose when he oes looking at big purchases, normally stubbie shorts, old t shirts and japanese safety shoes. He justifies this by saying anyone who will not talk to him, is not worth dealing with.
I wonder how they would react if somebody were to role up in a Man-kini !!!
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #95
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Reminds me of how the guy who owned Just Jeans was dressed as a bit of a bum as he was doing some gardening

Wanted to buy two Sl500 Mercs - this was quite a few years ago but they were still well past $200k

Same story as above the sales guys just barred him. Not sure what happened to them after they learned of their mistake thru the dealer principal
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #96
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I wonder how they would react if somebody were to role up in a Man-kini !!!

What can I say? He is a farmer, dress sense does not come with the territory.
Old 27-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #97
froggie22

Not really a car sales person but someone selling car products.

was at the petrol station filling up and the lady walks over selling that waterless car wash stuff. she tells me that NASCAR invented that exact brand 7 years ago ans they all use it on their cars and then she even says that ferrari use it all the time on their new cars.......

i just laughed and laughed and she walked off...
froggie22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #98
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I got a funny story about that waterless wash at the servo.

My car is currently 2 ton mud on the bottom going to dry dirty on the top so one of those dark to light things (technically when I brought it white lol)

Anyways the guy walks up to me to try his best stuff i just run my finger along for 5 cms and its come up dirty as anything showed my finger to him he turned around and walked away lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #99
BigTony

i got asked to leave a hyundai dealership with my mum in 04,because i was trying to negotiate the price and a few extras thrown in.Salesman(had little mans syndrome)expected us to pay the full price .Lol he puffed out his chest and tried to stare me out.Then a few of them watched to make sure we walked out.I could of dropped the lot of them lol.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #100
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
All I can say guys you want to try buying a new car when your under 25!!
Bought my XR6 just before I was 21, and this year I bought a BFII SR and I was 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Neither can most of the people buying them now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
true!

The difference was when we were that age we bought cars we could afford to pay cash for....
I payed the XR6 off before I bought my house, and the SR will be payed off by the new year. Some 'young people' know how to manage their money. Just like some old people dont!!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #101
stevepet

Two stick in my mind

Years ago Iwas looking at buying an A9X funny thing was it didn't have the disc brake rear end. The salesman said the previous owner has locking up problems so he changed it over to a drum set up. I didn't buy it.

Four weeks ago looking at a Mondeo for the old man. aBSOLUTE STUNNER of a salesperson. She new nothing about what she was selling it was a three litre V6 twin turbo diesel and said it was an Australian AUDI.
He bought a Nissan.

Cheers
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #102
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old thread, but anyhow.

I did my apprenticeship at Nissan in Cairns several years ago, and was told a pearler by one of the salesmen there.
A fresh cadet salesman noticed an older chap roll up to the showroom on his crusty old 10 speed and proceed to wander over to gaze at the 1st 350Z that had just been delivered recently to the dealer.
Adorned in a holey old polo, stubbies, and thongs the old codger was, the young cadet strolled over and started to chat to the guy about the new Z.
Codger asks to get some paperwork started.
Young bloke laughs and tells him to knick off.
The old codger apparently returned the next day, met with the new car sales manager for a brief period, and left again. The young bloke a bit puzzled asked what the old derro wanted. The manager proudly pointed out that the gent just signed paperwork for the next delivered Z that came into stock! He was in fact quite a wealthy local owner of a transport company and had bought every new model of Z car since the 240Z!
Just to rub it in the young bloke was asked to fetch the vehicle for the chap when he took delivery a week later! He was quite red-faced from all accounts after that.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #103
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

A general beef i have with the majority of dealers is their inability to discern after 30 seconds of conversation they are talking to someone with a bit of general car knowledge and cannot be BS'd. Even speaking to some car dealer mates they insist that everyone can be sold, and while i admire their tenacity more often than not they end up looking like a fool when they get caught out.

If i walk into a car dealership about the only thing i need to know is how the car actually drives, as the rest of the information i would have already garnered through my own research.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #104
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
A general beef i have with the majority of dealers is their inability to discern after 30 seconds of conversation they are talking to someone with a bit of general car knowledge and cannot be BS'd. Even speaking to some car dealer mates they insist that everyone can be sold, and while i admire their tenacity more often than not they end up looking like a fool when they get caught out.

If i walk into a car dealership about the only thing i need to know is how the car actually drives, as the rest of the information i would have already garnered through my own research.
swallow a thesaurus did we..........
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #105
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
swallow a thesaurus did we..........
Didn't they become extinct 50 million years ago George?

Last edited by JG66ME; 07-02-2009 at 08:24 AM.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #106
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually laughed out loud Steve
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #107
Blooval
Starter Motor

I'd seen a XF Spack back in 87' this thing had all the extras at the time. So I decided to have a look around to see anything similar in extras and price.
Spotted one and walked with my wife and started talking to the Pelican salesman.
It was Sunday afternoon summer, I was unshaven in shorts bla bla bla you get the look. I asked for the best price and haggeled with him, He gives me a firm reply that I should take my little hussy and get lost. I was a little taken back and said whats wrong? He say's mate when you have 18K come and see me I will sell you car. Told him to hold on, went to my car and grabbed my bum bag,in it was 20K in cash. I unzip and empty the contents on the bonnet of the car. (Im greek I had just got married and it was from the wedding) He goes to jelly and starts apologizing to me an my wife. I tell him to get nicked and warn him to never stop looking over his shoulder as he will be in a bit of pain.
( I never did anything to him but the look on his face as we walked away pricless)
Blooval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #108
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I was bored one day so i went to my local ford dealer and test drove a black bf xr6 turbo.... The guy did not care at all. i said to him. is it possible go take it for a test drive? he said sure sure so he took my details and off i went on my own.... spent about 10 minutes driving and testing the car... i came back and said to the guys nice nice... he then said ok lets sign the papers and lets do it i said na na i need to talk to my father becaue it is for him....
he threw me the keys and said take it to your house show him, see if it fits in your garage...... not to bad if you ask me....

good to have a local place to go to just for test drives.... i try do it when a new model comes out just for the fun of it..any 1 else do the same?
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #109
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido105
I was bored one day so i went to my local ford dealer and test drove a black bf xr6 turbo....

good to have a local place to go to just for test drives.... i try do it when a new model comes out just for the fun of it..any 1 else do the same?
Somewere there is a Village looking for it's idiot.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #110
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:

Wat i dun lik about car deellazz is that they allwayz try to BS u even when u r obviosly 2nd yr diesel fitter aprentise who already has a BA XR6 nd knows heaps more then them anyway probably and I tell em nah its a DOHC not SOHC and they argue and tell ur an idiot and go home, but they look lik the tool.

At a car deallerrship i only want to drive it and if they BS me they will loose my busness.

There you go, a bit more akin to the general grammar and spelling levels of the forum. :
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #111
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a car from a car yard ONCE - that was more than enough - private for me.

When I was looking for my car I was very specific when visiting car yards (and I dressed shitty deliberately) walk into car yard goon approacheth "can I help you?" "yea I want a xr6 Turbo in phantom, do you have one" looks me up and down calls me a "test pilot followed by a sharp NO" and walked away, so I thought eff you and left. This similar situation was repeated again and again at all dealerships I visited so I thought OK I will work with these guys. So I went into a car yard and said "can you get me a xr6 turbo in phantom?" guy looks me up and down - was wearing my crappy jeans and a singlet and hadn't shaved for 2 days - deliberately, despite this he "checked" the computer telling me they are a part of a 12 dealership network, and they can exchange cars. After checking comes up blank so I offered him my details should he find one. He took them saying he would find one. I told him I want one in three weeks or don't bother. Tells me he will get one at auction in a week. Three weeks later I call him and say I have found one private sale, has he had any luck finding one? He tells me he hasn't and its been very difficult trying to source one. So I bought the one private sale and drove in there a week later in it telling him not to bother AND what do I see? A LOCALLY traded phantom xr6 turbo! sitting there on ramps. Tells me it was traded on a G series 2 days ago. The whole point to trying to do what I did is because I wanted to purchase the car thru a dealer 25k on a car private sale is a quantum amount of money to me. I can get newer cars for less. And I am guaranteed it isn't stolen etc.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #112
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Wink

you just havnt found it yet gasolane . .

Last edited by ido105; 07-02-2009 at 05:02 PM.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #113
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Was looking through a second hand car yard and the owner is a car collector, showed me this pristine yank tank he opened the bonnett and said it has a straight V8 (it was an inline 8).
Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #114
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

The mistake our local ford dealer made when I tried to trade in my immac. 18mth old xr8 on a new model the same car only a BF offered me 18k for a car I bought off them for 38k 18mths previous. Left told him he was dreaming 2hrs later he rang offered me 20k took the car to sydney got 26 for it and spent even more cash on the FPV local dealer lost bigtime called in just after buying the new car the look on the salesmans face was priceless.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #115
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Wat i dun lik about car deellazz is that they allwayz try to BS u even when u r obviosly 2nd yr diesel fitter aprentise who already has a BA XR6 nd knows heaps more then them anyway probably and I tell em nah its a DOHC not SOHC and they argue and tell ur an idiot and go home, but they look lik the tool.

At a car deallerrship i only want to drive it and if they BS me they will loose my busness.

There you go, a bit more akin to the general grammar and spelling levels of the forum. :
quote of the day ,cheers for the laugh.

how many languages do you know?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #116
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
quote of the day ,cheers for the laugh.

how many languages do you know?
That was funny, made my night.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #117
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:

When i read above the internal monologue in my head sounded drunk. :s

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #118
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Um, by reading YOUR post, it makes YOU look like a tool!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #119
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Salesmen are like showbags, just full of $#it. I like dealerships where i approach the salesman when i am ready ( to discuss price only and nothing else) and no attempted harassment.

Last edited by Hemicuda; 08-02-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: I was edited
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #120
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I remember I looked at turbo xr6's when purchasing my car, the salesman told me "not to bother, extractors and a pod filter will make it quicker than any turbo". I didn't leave but found sales manager to talk to
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post