Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #91
IDT
Marko

Default Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

The only car/model on there that I would deem great is the Ute/Pickup. Part time car, part time commercial/work vehicle. This combination of two vehicle types has had more impact in the motoring world than any other. To say any other motoring option/idea to come out of this country has sold more, influenced car culture more, demonstrated more versatility has been used by more manufaturers and is still rediculously popular globally is one eyed stupidity.
Old 18-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #92
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT View Post
The only car/model on there that I would deem great is the Ute/Pickup. Part time car, part time commercial/work vehicle.
I've also read people like wheels/motor refer to models like the maloo as a type of sports coupe, which was interesting.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #93
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The HQ was one of the worst handling car's Holden ever made. Just because they sold heaps of them does that suddenly make it good?

It was proven to be such a dog handler by subsequent RTS models that had a heap of work on the suspension to try to fix the shocking handling.

RTS didn't come about until the HZ range...So that makes it about 5 or 6 years later before that was introduced..

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #94
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyy17 View Post
Aparently neither is the VE (according to chev badges/holdenowners)
Bit of a shame, Holden itself place Chev badges onto Commodores.....So strike that one off the list as a good point

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 18-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #95
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I wish there was no supercar scare. I'd love too see the phase 4s on the track against the V8 XU1 holden had plans for.
And I would have loved to see how Chrysler went with the 340 4 speed in the Charger...Would have been interesting times....

This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #96
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
and if you don't think sponsers and deals and partnerships don't come with plenty of under the table agendas in this day and age...your total oblivious. Anyone who doesn't live under a rock, has been reading biased wheels and motor reviews for many years...where one week handling is king and the next week its all about power. It ALL revolves around money my friend.
The FG falcon is by far and away the better overall car. There are many many facts awards and good solid non biased reviews that clearly show this.
But they are still built to a budget so im sure anyone will always find something to whinge about. Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore. Will continue rant if needed
Granted I like you will take the supposed high seating position on a Falcon to the pillars on the Holden. I'm not saying deals are not done, but I think its not anything like what some paint it. Sometimes people just prefer the other car. In the end Falcon and Commodore are very close anyway.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #97
joeyy17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
Bit of a shame, Holden itself place Chev badges onto Commodores.....So strike that one off the list as a good point
Yes, GM Chev place chev badges on their commodores. That to commodores NOT sold in Australia. Unstrike back to a good point fortunately.
Old 18-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
RTS didn't come about until the HZ range...So that makes it about 5 or 6 years later before that was introduced..
Because the previous models handled so poorly.

I think it was Peter Hanneburger who came in from Germany? and was shocked with how poorly these Holdens handled. I remember him saying he asked why they were like that and the reply was something along the lines of "they handle so badly so it will force people to not want to drive faster, which is safer"

Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #99
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyy17 View Post
Yes, GM Chev place chev badges on their commodores. That to commodores NOT sold in Australia. Unstrike back to a good point fortunately.
Chev badge was a no cost option on my bosses Colorado when he bought it.... He hated me pointing out an Isuzu badge would have been more appropriate.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #100
joeyy17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Chev badge was a no cost option on my bosses Colorado when he bought it.... He hated me pointing out an Isuzu badge would have been more appropriate.
Because alot of people had been seen doing it therefore was made an option so extra little money can come in. Haha Isuzu badge i like that one
Old 18-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #101
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Because the previous models handled so poorly.

I think it was Peter Hanneburger who came in from Germany? and was shocked with how poorly these Holdens handled. I remember him saying he asked why they were like that and the reply was something along the lines of "they handle so badly so it will force people to not want to drive faster, which is safer"

Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like that.
The US suspension engineer ,forgotten his name, believed that gross understeer was better for safety.
The 'red' team hold Handlingburger as a god.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #102
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Granted I like you will take the supposed high seating position on a Falcon to the pillars on the Holden. I'm not saying deals are not done, but I think its not anything like what some paint it. Sometimes people just prefer the other car. In the end Falcon and Commodore are very close anyway.
don't mean to be picky.....but they are not that close at all. For eg.
For the Australian Best Car Awards...(the real unbiased peoples awards RACQ)
Large class the falcon has won the last 3 years and came second the 2 years before that. The Ve never beat the FG, it never even came second. That alone tells me without even looking into it that there is NO way in hell the VE can be the best aussie car.
And you clowns saying this is just a ford forum and that's what youd expect.....well the facts tell the story....who cares about bias.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #103
stang65
FPRJET

so true so many closet Holden guys on this forum it`s not funny. But it is obvious you only have to look at their history.

Last edited by stang65; 18-04-2013 at 08:46 PM.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #104
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65 View Post
so true so many closet Holden guys on this forum it`s not funny. But it is obvious you only have to look at their history.
There are a lot of one-eyed immature imbeciles here too who's posts are brimming with intelligence levels you'd expect to find in a kindergarten.
Instead of being grateful and proud of the cars we produce in this country, people continue to stick the knives in, all in the name of some childish rivalry.
Hope you enjoy your imported 4cyl buzzbox because that's all we'll have left once our great Aussie cars are gone.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #105
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
There are a lot of one-eyed immature imbeciles here too who's posts are brimming with intelligence levels you'd expect to find in a kindergarten.
Instead of being grateful and proud of the cars we produce in this country, people continue to stick the knives in, all in the name of some childish rivalry.
Hope you enjoy your imported 4cyl buzzbox because that's all we'll have left once our great Aussie cars are gone.
Its a Forum ... you get that. Everyone can either put up with it, being a FORD Forum, after all ...... or anyone has the right to find a more general CAR Forum? Thats the way it is ..... love it or lump it.

Now ... moving back on the subject which has been well discussed on the virtues of the wonderful award winning VE Commodore that we all must grow to love and worship as they have done so by the masses ..... apparently

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #106
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

Now ... moving back on the subject which has been well discussed on the virtues of the wonderful award winning VE Commodore that we all must grow to love and worship as they have done so by the masses ..... apparently

can use this as my sig?? I love this lol
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #107
Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
so did the AU ute but you don't here any mention of that do you??? AU-BA utes where a very big hit. the AU ute was an instant hit because of its cab chassis option and the fact you could swap the style side box for trayback and vice versa and its 6 cylinder and V8 power. what was around at the time in the 2 wheel drive ute market that was like it?? the award was best Australian car. not what Australian car had the most impact now was it??? what everyone who is against the award result is annoyed about is the fact that the current FG falcon is a better car. heres a hint: go and drive them both. you will soon find out why people like myself are upset. I can honestly say i'd rather a camry over the 3L commodore V6 VE. funny thing is to the falcon still gets better fuel economy with its larger 6 cylinder. I can think of a lot of better cars then the HQ. even back then and now. I have a right too comment. I've owned kingswoods before. heres another example. what was the most popular falcon ever sold to date?? the XF. it had a lot of influence on people at the time too. the large sedan crowd. the holden commodore wasn't a large car at the time was it. do you think that might have something too do with why it was successful. yet why isn't this mentioned?? while you can go and judge a car by how well it sells. I am a person that takes into account what the car drives like and experience from owning them. I stoped making list when I was in high school
Again you do not understand how it has been judged, I never said the VE was a better car than the FG but this was not judged as what car is better because if it was then the how would a 60 year old car be in the top ten???
At least you gave us 1 example of a car you believe should be top ten, I'd prefer to hear that then the continual bagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Who cares if the FG went global or not? 'Best' doesn't mean exported because it was the best? What are we (or magazine) talking about in the article? I thought it was titled the 'BEST'? .... or is it the "MOST SIGNIFICANT"? .... "MOST IMPACT?" .... "MOST SOLD?" ......"MOST POPULAR?"

I think some are getting a little bit sidetracked on what the article was trying to say? "BEST" is very different to "MOST IMPACT"

If that was the case, the XA PH1V would be the number 1 MOST IMPACT in my books ..... changed an entire industry direction within months of just rumors never to be seen again! Killed a market that was booming at the time What about the Ford Capri? Based on exports .... that went places? How about the XF for Most sold per year? Its up there!

So many categories for Wheels to cover in the coming additions I am sure!
I reckon you pointed out something quite rightly about it being named 'BEST' incorrectly but I think being judged the 'BEST' has got to do with all the points you mentioned put together and not just 1 of them, they sort of touched on how it was judged but didn't go into great lengths about it.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter who puts a list together your always going to have a huge number of people that don't agree with it, I have no problem with that as we are all entitled to our own opinion just as the guys that put that list together are, what I can't understand is the number of people that can only disagree but can never put anything on the table themselves so to speak.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #108
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
This confuses me? I have a BA xr6 turbo and a Territory..... How does this apply to me?
Old 18-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #109
Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Its a Forum ... you get that. Everyone can either put up with it, being a FORD Forum, after all ...... or anyone has the right to find a more general CAR Forum? Thats the way it is ..... love it or lump it.

Thank god we live in a democracy!

I have no problem with people being one eyed Ford supporters and this is a Ford Forum, what I don't agree with is when someone tried to put forward an argument that car a is better than car b simply because it's a Ford. I would prefer to see someone elaborate on their reason other than because it's a FORD.

The one car I would have put very close to No.1 on that list is the Phase 3 GT, the car is a legend over most of the cars on that list.

Comparing the VE to the FG is a bit difficult in some ways. Yes they were sold at the same time and compete against each other until lately but the VE came out 20 months earlier and thus the FG was able to not only equip itself to the same level as the VE but also improve on it. The VE was actually competing against the BA at the time it was released and it was judged with what it brought to the table when it was released to some extent, you could almost put the VF against the FG and ask which is the better car. Again it's an argument that will have some chose the VF and others the FG.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #110
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post

I have no problem with people being one eyed Ford supporters and this is a Ford Forum, what I don't agree with is when someone tried to put forward an argument that car a is better than car b simply because it's a Ford. I would prefer to see someone elaborate on their reason other than because it's a FORD.
Same as there is no difference from so many in the Forums saying that AU's are no good .... just because they are an AU, even though they have never sat in one. Its going to happen .... more so when people share a passion through these pages.

Yes I know what you are saying but, Ford vs Holden is as older than the hills. It will always be, mainly in fun, sometimes people get a little bit too excited about it, but, it will continue. Barrack for a footy team, some will be more passionate than others ..... there is no difference.

There is absolutely no problems whatsoever with someone being a Ford enthusiast ..... same as nothing wrong with being a Holden enthusiast ....... OR a general car enthusiast but I do get a little annoyed when some say you cannot like just one model and you NEED to love them all! Why? I know what I like? I know what I do not like? So do many others here.

If it wasn't for my passion for Fords I would probably be driving a Camry ..... (probably not but hopefully get my drift .... but yes, not everyone has to agree with what the mags say and their obsession with lists, but many here can and will like the FG over the VE because of the badge! Some won't! But just remember what Forum we are on

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #111
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. a democracy works both ways don't it
2. did I say a car was better because it was a ford?? I aint a one eyed ford supporter. is that why I wouldn't mind buy a VK for a circuit car??? you by any chance don't work for wheels magazine do you??

Last edited by flooded one; 18-04-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 18-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #112
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65 View Post
This confuses me? I have a BA xr6 turbo and a Territory..... How does this apply to me?
I think it was because you bagged out closet holden supporters.
Old 18-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #113
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a difference between those who genuinely believe car 'A' is better than car 'B' because it's a Ford; and those who choose to spend their hard earned cash on car 'A' rather than car 'B' because the former is a Ford.

I have driven, and indeed appreciate many other types of cars over the years. Are there some cars that do some things better than anything offered by Ford? Definitely. Would I spend my money on anything other than a Ford? Not unless I win lotto.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #114
stace650

I surprised the Territory is on the list at all. We owned one for five years and it was the worst car I have ever owned. But despite that it was nice to drive. It just had major issues and lots of them.

My BA, on the other hand, has been a joy to own. And I really don't care if the Commodore is judged 'better' by someone else, I think my Aussie-built Falcon is fantastic.... And I've owned eight of them.

It's a shame that their days seem numbered. I would keep buying them if they kept making them.

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #115
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace650 View Post
I surprised the Territory is on the list at all. We owned one for five years and it was the worst car I have ever owned. But despite that it was nice to drive. It just had major issues and lots of them.

My BA, on the other hand, has been a joy to own. And I really don't care if the Commodore is judged 'better' by someone else, I think my Aussie-built Falcon is fantastic.... And I've owned eight of them.

It's a shame that their days seem numbered. I would keep buying them if they kept making them.
Just being unlucky I guess? Have had the most trouble with the B series compared to the Territory, both done the same amount of K's. Flat battery on the Terry and everything on the Falcon. My first new car was an XF and have had every model since with near zero problems ..... I would count around 35 plus registered and new cars? 98% Ford. Stuck with what I know and been happy with

So can understand why Territory is there. It is a good car for sure ..... just that there were a few crappy ones I suppose.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #116
stace650

It's funny isn't it? Once a car is a lemon it seems it gets all of that model's problems, whereas if you get a good one it can often have nothing at all go wrong.

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #117
nstg8a

Yeah one of the guys at work has a lemon terri, its a pos lol.

Damn thing tried killing me when I popped the bonnet, bonnet latch broke off in my hand and left a nice gouge in me. And he didn't care, he was just like 'oh, it does that every now and then' ffs....
It leaks in the rain, uses more fuel than your average top fueler on a Saturday night, everything rattles, back end around the hatch thingy is rusty. Starts first time every time. Except fr when it just won't for no reason. Come back ten minutes later and it fires up first go.
He hates it, and his missus refuses to drive it. And because they financed up the wazoo to get it, they can't get rid of it.
Worst example of a terri I've seen. I'd have set fire to it by now if it was mine.

But others I've seen have been perfect....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #118
Windsor220
Now Fordless

My boss heard this story and laughed his **** off. He's a dead set Holden nut too. VE's are woeful cars. Early Territorys and BAs aren't much better either.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #119
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nstg8a thats why Australia needs lemon laws..like America has....
Old 19-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #120
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
My boss heard this story and laughed his **** off. He's a dead set Holden nut too. VE's are woeful cars. Early Territorys and BAs aren't much better either.

I reckon there better then VEs and no its not because its a ford either I say that. I'm aware of the problems both of them had. mate has an early territory. he hates it. the car its self runs fine. just the has a lot of electrical gremlins. in particular power window switches that decide too randomly work. we had a BA for 4 years that was a good car thou the diff bushes worn out at 100,000kms and one of the rear door actuators decided not to work. I'd own a another one but I feel that the build quality could of been a bit better. my AU I feel was the better car in saying that a nice car the BA was. the BA was a good ride and I loved the acceleration from the six cylinder (wasn't turbo) I just think the AU had better interior quality and is better built. my mate says all the time. bloody fords :p. I say I have no problems with mine!! his reply "but your is a good one" not bad for a car that everyone hates!! (AU falcon)