Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you flash your lights to warn other drivers of cops ahead?
Yes! 340 84.37%
Fruk Them 63 15.63%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #91
Gauntster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'm one of the people who don't. I don't speed, so I don't get fined. I think that other people should think this way as well.
If you want to disobey the posted speed limit, then be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't want to pay the consequences, then don't speed. Simple as that.
I can see by your fine selection of automobiles why you don't speed! :thebirds:
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #92
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'm one of the people who don't. I don't speed, so I don't get fined. I think that other people should think this way as well.
If you want to disobey the posted speed limit, then be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't want to pay the consequences, then don't speed. Simple as that.
Yeah ,i find it hard to believe that you have never been above the speed limit at all. Sad ,very sad life!!
Old 28-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #93
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Sometimes if I think it an unfair situation (i.e freeway on ramps, speed limit changes etc) but not if they are speeding excessively.
Old 28-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #94
Fordmeister
Starter Motor

I flash my lights if its a revenue raiser - if they are gunning it down a road with a school on it or something like a d*ckhead no way - I hope they get caught!
Fordmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #95
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Speed being the sole cause of accidents? Bah - speed limits are arbitrary limits imposed by out of touch RTA political goons.
In defence of NSW RTA political goons, a couple of points;-

* Political parties don't set speed limits. Although speed-limits are the most 'politically sensitive' topic the transport agencies deal with.

* Arbritary speed limits, where these are one of the two primary 'defaults' were been decided on by various state and territory road agency employees based on domestic, and international 'experience' (stop laughing). These are limits defined at law, effectively passed (stamped) by each parliament after ARR Consultation process. (That we had to have two of them, and that the built-up area default shall be uniform).

* Signposted speed limits -sign design (dimensions, spacing and number) and use therof (meaning and applicability), is made in AS1742.4 of 1999, this is turn is generally referenced by state adoptions of same. Example; QLD has this section in its US inspired namesake "The Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices", in NSW we call it the "Speed Zoning Gudelines".

* The states and territories sometimes give different meaning to a speed control sign, example - a speed derestriction sign (//). This is taken by some monkeys to mean 100km/h -110km/h applies, but that is NOT the case under AS1742.4 of 1999 (no speed-limit applies to the road beyond the sign) or the governing UN Ownership of it held in UN Convention (End of all local prohibitions imposed on moving vehicles). One such state prostituting the meaning of the sign was WA, their speed zoning guidelines now remove the (//) in recognition of requirment and legal impact.

* Road authorities will increase use of the R4-12 "End Speed Limit" sign, this falls back to the 'rural default', but a driver can expect the road beyond to have quality issues affecting safety on its length, example; poor camber, hidden driveways or intersections, soft edges, rail crossings etc. It is a form of speed derstriction UP TO the 'rural default' as applied. (Typically 100km/h but maybe 80km/h one day). This sign shall be used on the worse of the worse rural roads basically.

* A recent ATSB study, a year or three old finds that 130km/h could be applied on some national highway lengths without affecting overall network safety. This would be done to improve national productivity levels.

* I do expect my jurisdiction will again use (//) on some high standard remote NSW western highways, but not to roads or tracks leading off the highway, unless another (//) is posted. Old (//) signs are being removed to enable this one day. I expect an improvement in the fatigue and distance relationship coupled with fewer crashes owing the lessening of the bunching-up effect caused by a deemed too slow 100-110km/h speed limit in that environment.

* NSW freeways will not go higher than 110km/h until median barriers are fully placed, and U-Turn bays have a gatelock system in place. Too much risk otherwise on these busy routes. NSW recently increased the fine (and demerit) for doing an illegal U-Turn, it is still too weak in my view, but an improvement.

Just what speed limit do you want? for what road category and why? Indeed why a 'speed-limit' at all??
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 29-05-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #96
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6
i do if its a nice ford.lol
i dont flash people in rice car cos there just gay.lol
haha thats great

i wont flash for a school zone, residential area or similar...shouldnt be speeding there anyways

i will if its a highway and i can see everycar coming and behind me......NO ONE deserves a PASS GO save $200 fine free ticket from me, i got no points to surrender

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #97
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

95% of the time a flash of the lights is to indicate things such as fallen branches not speed cameras around here.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #98
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
95% of the time a flash of the lights is to indicate things such as fallen branches not speed cameras around here.
where's 'around here'?
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #99
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dandenongs, live and work in the hills and especially on a day like today someone flashing their lights can give you that extra bit of time to stop comfortably if some Works guys are just getting to a tree etc.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #100
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I won't flash unless you're coming toward an accident, or a hazardous situation.

Speed cameras... meh, won't flash. Don't like it, stiff. That's how I've always been.
Old 29-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #101
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Just what speed limit do you want? for what road category and why? Indeed why a 'speed-limit' at all??
on interstate highways it should be unlimited. I mean in Germany they can do whatever speed tickles there fancy (obviously on specially made roads), but here we are in a country almost the size of the entire continent of europe, and were stuck at 110? its stupid, and its not like we have huge mountians to go around. its almost all flat, straight lines. But then again, who would see that chinese lady in her 1984 toyota corona doing 180+km/h?
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #102
falcon1
wannabe

those of u tht qoute believe speeding is worng mayb so but i belive your soft everybody speeds
falcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #103
MrMackie
16 will get you 20

Speed camera's, Police with radar guns etc etc are a road hazard, so why not warn other drivers of them. Whether you are speeding or not, its a natural reaction to hit your brakes when seeing a camera/cop, this in turn becomes a hazard for the person following any car.
Add that to the fact the government make enough money from me as a tax payer and you have my answer in whether i flash or not.
REALITY- There will always be people that speed, its human nature
Old 30-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #104
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

i do for speed cameras and stuff but not for boose buses drink drivers deserve to get busted!
Old 30-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #105
aussiedv8
Starter Motor

I got booked for "illegal use of a warning system" a couple of years back. $140 fine but no points. I was young and flashed all the time, but now I'm more selective when I do it. (I certainly make sure there are no cops hiding in front waiting to book!)
aussiedv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #106
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntster
I can see by your fine selection of automobiles why you don't speed! :thebirds:
Yeah, well believe it or not, they are all capable of going over the speed limit :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrtnz
Yeah ,i find it hard to believe that you have never been above the speed limit at all. Sad ,very sad life!!
I have never said that I have never been over the speed limit. I will speed if the situation warrant it, such as overtaking cars and trucks on a single lane highway. I sure as hell am not going to spend longer than necessary on the wrong side of the road.
If I do get caught, then it is no ones fault but mine for traveling faster than the posted speed limit. I will pay the fine, I might be unhappy about it, but I sure won't be hopping on to a forum venting my frustration at myself for doing the wrong thing and trying to blame "revenue raising camera's" or "over-zealous cops."

I have been driving the EL for 8 years now and I pretty much know exactly what speed it is doing without having to look at the speedo simply from the sounds I can hear, e.g. revs, wind, etc, meaning I can concentrate more on the road than the speedo.
The Peugeot has a built in speed limiter that you can set to what ever speed you wish. I use this regularly when I am driving it and it guarantees that I won't go over the speed limit. Otherwise, I'll use the cruise control on it.
The XE, well that is sitting in a shed on someone else's property, so it can't speed at the moment.

I drive mainly country roads due to where I live. One of these roads is signposted at 90km/h. It would be nice if it was 110km/h, but as it is 90, I'll travel at 90.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #107
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I always flash, Always wait till you see the white's of their eyes as you may do as my cousin did one fine evening and flashed an on coming cop car who pulled him over for it
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #108
F6T
Has V8 envy

I will flash a warning but for me it also depends on the circumstances. i.e.

1. only where oncoming traffic lanes are separated by a retainer wall in case I accidentally flash an undercover cop car - so they can't come after me!

2. only if the oncoming car is not speeding ridiculously in which case, they deserve to get caught.

3. only where I think the camera placement is purely revenue raising.

ps. sometimes, I don't flash holdens or rice burners (depending on what mood I'm in :-),

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #109
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

il always flash for a camera if there is one, i don't speed deliberately but some times you dont even notice your drifting over and sure enough thats when you'l be done. on the other hand i cant stand seeing people flogging it down roads with total disregard for other peoples safety il give them a flash when there isnt a camera just to see them hit the skids, damn bogan VN's
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #110
theunfairadvant

It is illegal to flash your light to tell other drivers
if there is a radar system is operation.

This will cost you 3 points off your license can't remember how much the fine was now if you were to get caught,
i always wait till i pass for about 2 to 3 km out of sight
then i flash and warn them.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #111
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant

This will cost you 3 points off your license can't remember how much the fine was now if you were to get caught,
In what state?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #112
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

the radio stations on the sunshine coast got into trouble a few years ago for addvertising the areas where radars had been spotted.

they used the theory that if they told drivers roughly where radars had been spotted then the drivers would slow down on that section of road and so it must be safer then just leaving them to speed on through .

the QLD police had to agree with the theory and allowed them to continue the traffic messages.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #113
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
In what state?
In NSW.
As i know someone who flash and get caught i was just behind him,
i ask him why did the cops pull him over he said
that becos he flash his lights to warn other drivers.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #114
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant

I thought they could only charge you for using high beam in a built up area?? I was told you would be ok if you just turned your lights on then off again.

(not that I realy care, I am allowed to have a detector )

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #115
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Speed cameras dont slow drivers down... People just end up recieving a fine in the mail.. (Is different if the locations are advertised) but where i live they just park the pricks anywhere... If someone flashed me to warn of a camera, id slow down whether i was speeding or not... Now if the police want motorists to slow down, there job is done for them... If they dont like this then what are they really putting speed cameras out there for...?
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #116
MeLLy

I Always do, its a nice gesture & yes you can get booked for doing so.
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #117
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLLy
I Always do, its a nice gesture & yes you can get booked for doing so.
Same here, I usually flash my lights when traffic car is pulled over try to pick up his quoter of tickets. And its a damn good idea of radio stations to inform the public when they are too! :evil3:
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #118
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought that the Government would have embraced people who flashed there lights to alert motorists of speed cameras. As the governments logic is that speed causes accidents, now if a motorists flashes you, you presume there is a camera up ahead and so you check your speed and slow down if necessary. Therefore as you have stopped speeding in theory you have averted an accident ;) Now if the government is consistent they should encourage motorists to flash there lights and warn other motorists of speed cameras ;)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #119
HOON69
Banned

I will flash 8 out of ten
main reason:

cops whom hide their vehicles to catch others out,should be in plain view 100% of the time and not behind some 30metres retaining wall on a hwy purely hidden from any view of anyone.

other then that i will flash only if theres a accident or hazard on the road
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #120
AUTickford
XD197

Bloody oath i flash my lights when i see a camera, i have been saved by other considerate people doing so and its just common courtesy, only wowsers would disagree.i would rather do a coupla ks over and make my own way instead of being caught behind losers who go under the limit it causes roadrage,just overtake them. :
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post