Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #91
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The R32 and GTI are much faster then VW claims. Conservative claims. Rather then optimistic like HSV and most Jap car companies.
Ok, well when you have actual PROOF rather than just hearsay or gossip - I might listen. Timeslips, magazine run, something tangible. Other than that, there hasn't been any indication that what you claimed was anywhere near accurate. If you know they run a low 5, you'd be able to proove it. So I'll leave it at that.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #92
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple
Well ok then. :

Where do you get the figures of a DSG equipped R32 Golf doing 0-100km/h in low 5's man? I've read up a few reviews and they all say 6.2 for DSG and 6.5 for manual. 1MPH on the street on a rolling start would not even be noticeable mate. If you raced someone from a roll and your car traps 102MPH and you mates' car traps 103MPH, gun it from 2nd gear (assuming gear ratios are similar) there will be no difference until maybe 160kmh.

The DSG gearbox came from a friend of mine who had a 2005 Golf R32 and had the gearbox blow up 3 times before VW fixed it properly. Yes, and EVO is a tarted up Lancer, in the same way a Lamboghini Gallardo is a tarted up Audi RS4. There are so few parts shared - compeltely different chassis for EVO, different driveline, different diffs, different gearbox - some panels are the same and bits of the interior. If you wanna talk value for money mate and interiors - look at an F6 or GT-P - same interior as the pov pack Falcon taxi, but people don't care cause they go like stink.

A Golf R32 would be lucky to run a low 14 down the quarter - you think it's gonna run low 13's? :togo:
The RS4 to Gallardo analogy doesn't work because they share absolutley nothing in common with each other.

The Evo on the other hand, is a Lancer. They share chassis (I don't know why you think they wouldn't). The Evo is a Lancer with a more powerful engine, better gearbox, suspension, brakes and AWD.

The Golf R32 manual is a 14-dead car. The Golf R32 DSG is a low 13's car. I wonder what your friend did to his DSG to blow it up three times, since a friend runs a VW dealership and I'm yet to hear of any problems with them.

If you race someone from a roll it completley changes everything about the race compared with a standing start drag race? Why are you bringing up a roll race?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #93
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Ok, well when you have actual PROOF rather than just hearsay or gossip - I might listen. Timeslips, magazine run, something tangible. Other than that, there hasn't been any indication that what you claimed was anywhere near accurate. If you know they run a low 5, you'd be able to proove it. So I'll leave it at that.
I do know they run a low 5. I know through personal experience. But yes, I will provide you with sourced, written proof (just like the above in regards to GTI) when I am in a more opportune situation (ie - not busy so I can look things up).

Until then..

:
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #94
Disciple
Banned

So, to sum up... An EVO is just a Lancer with a more powerful engine, better gearbox, suspension, brakes and AWD. And, a Golf R32 will do 0-100km/h in low 5's and quarter mile in low 13's.

I think that'll do me.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #95
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

I've got a gf with a r32, and in a straight line my tubo beat it, we were just mucking around on the streets and stuff, and I know she's a good driver but I still marginly beat her.
Though it would out handle me to buggery and back.

Also Motor Mag have actural time (not ests) of 6.3 0-100 and 14.5 0-400m
GTI 6.5 0-100km/h and 14.6 0-400m
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #96
3vXT

Quote:
The Evo on the other hand, is a Lancer. They share chassis (I don't know why you think they wouldn't). The Evo is a Lancer with a more powerful engine, better gearbox, suspension, brakes and AWD.
+1

A+++ thread, will read again
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #97
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I have worked for Mitsubishi and worked in a delaership with subaru. Ill take a evo 9 and 10 (Based on a 9) anyday. much easier to drive and from one of my clients car a cat back exhaust and a retune saw him in the low 12's easily. I love the GT's and F6's but Id be surprised if given the choice to take anything other than the EVO. it comes down to the overall package.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #98
perrys

I dont mind people getting very defensive about a certain brand (Steffo -> VW), but R32>>EVO/Sti is just stupid. I dont even see people on www.vwvortex.com put on an argument like that. Whatever you say mate, R32 = slower, less reliable, FWD based 4WD and nose heavy.
perrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #99
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The VW R32/Audi TT V6 always seemed a bit limp to me, especially the first generation. Their laptimes didn’t seem anything to really get excited about (although some of the Jap competitor’s tyres were pretty special).

I thought that the R36 3.6 litre V6 was going in to the Jetta sedan, has it been confirmed for the Golf? It’d certainly help the Cayenne.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #100
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
The VW R32/Audi TT V6 always seemed a bit limp to me, especially the first generation. Their laptimes didn’t seem anything to really get excited about (although some of the Jap competitor’s tyres were pretty special).

I thought that the R36 3.6 litre V6 was going in to the Jetta sedan, has it been confirmed for the Golf? It’d certainly help the Cayenne.
Late this year the Passat R36 (3.6L 220kW AWD DSG Passat) is being released, which does 0-100 in 5.6 sec according to VW. The Golf R36 is scheduled for a first quarter 08 release and test mules have been spotted in Germany and at the Nurburgring-Nordschleife.

:
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #101
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Evo and STi don't stand a chance against the two in a drag race.
Once again, they are not built with massive straight line speed in mind.

If you bought an EVO or an STi with really fast 1/4's in mind, even I'll be the first (aswell as Suby and Mitsu owners) to tell you that they aren't the best choice in car for that particular application. You will get better results with a 6T or an 8.

However I would say for what they are, the 1/4 mile times aren't slow. They do quite well, plus they hammer under brakes and in the twisties.

It would be pretty sad if the VE HSVs or F6 couldn't go faster on a straight considering they have a bigger engine with more power.

I wouldn't even call them competitors really.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #102
kooky
WRX terrorist

Jesus H Christ Steffo, all you seem to be able to do is quote verbatim from magazines. You're biased against the japanese branded cars full stop so your argument is full of holes. Actually get some real-world experiance of the marques before casting your "insert latest car publication ambiguity" diatribe on all of us.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #103
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly... comparing an Sti/Evo with a VW R32? . The R32 will get toasted around a race track. You'd have to be biased to suggest otherwise.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #104
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
Jesus H Christ Steffo, all you seem to be able to do is quote verbatim from magazines. You're biased against the japanese branded cars full stop so your argument is full of holes. Actually get some real-world experiance of the marques before casting your "insert latest car publication ambiguity" diatribe on all of us.
But it's so much easier for him to read a magazine

The Ignore button is your friend
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #105
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
You just have to love the misinformed fools on this planet. Just enough information to make them think they know everything.

Steffo my good man do yourself a favour. Lower yourself for an hour or so to go and drive an EVO 9. Then if you are lucky enough to find a salesman passionate enough to know what he is selling ask him about the car.

Hopefully you will find out that the EVO 9 is not a tarted up standard CH Lancer. It is a purpose built vehicle not made for straight line speed but made to go hard in the tight and windy rough stuff, with Aluminuim panels, Active Yaw control, Active centre diff, upgraded engine componentry, body stiffening just to name a few things.

Really comparing the EVO and the WRX to a Falcon or Crumple Door is like comparing sh!t with clay.

As for resale value they hold on to their value unlike a good quantity of the Euro vehicles that you tend to tear up at least 40% to 50% of the purchase price the moment you screw a set of rego plates to them.

So please remove move your head from your books/magazines and computer go out and experience life not just read about it.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #106
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
But it's so much easier for him to read a magazine

The Ignore button is your friend
Sage advice MAGPIE, are you still piloting a subie?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #107
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sage advice MAGPIE, are you still piloting a subie?
Yup, a Legacy but I miss my V9 so another may join the garage soon:Up_to_som
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #108
kooky
WRX terrorist

They are hard to let go aren't they!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #109
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
The thing is, the only magazine thing I've mentioned in this whole thing was the EVO 0-62mph time for a manual Golf GTI.

Rather then buy into the nonsense that all I do is read magazines, actually listen for a second. A friend runs a VW dealership, I have plenty of real world experience with these things.

Yep, I'm biased against Jap crap, you're right. Except again, nowhere have I said that these cars are in any way slow. I've said that the DSG R32 is their equal (in a straight line definitley) and as far as build quality and technical sophistication goes, it is their superior.

All you WRX and EVO sack-riders need to get a grip on yourselfs. The WRX & EVO defence agency seems to be in full swing... oh noes, nothing can come close, lets come together in arms to defend our rally car wannabes!

^^ Yep, if you decide to try to argue at me with crap about magazines that's untrue and stupid, you'll get an equal quality reply. :

:
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #110
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Trainer
Really comparing the EVO and the WRX to a Falcon or Crumple Door is like comparing sh!t with clay.
Yeah, I love my Clay Falcon
Old 11-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #111
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
The thing is, the only magazine thing I've mentioned in this whole thing was the EVO 0-62mph time for a manual Golf GTI.

Rather then buy into the nonsense that all I do is read magazines, actually listen for a second. A friend runs a VW dealership, I have plenty of real world experience with these things.

Yep, I'm biased against Jap crap, you're right. Except again, nowhere have I said that these cars are in any way slow. I've said that the DSG R32 is their equal (in a straight line definitley) and as far as build quality and technical sophistication goes, it is their superior.

All you WRX and EVO sack-riders need to get a grip on yourselfs. The WRX & EVO defence agency seems to be in full swing... oh noes, nothing can come close, lets come together in arms to defend our rally car wannabes!

^^ Yep, if you decide to try to argue at me with crap about magazines that's untrue and stupid, you'll get an equal quality reply. :
Steffo, like I said you are a numbers man, no thought goes into your response other than what you have read and retained.

You are biased against Japanese car makers and that leaves you open to critisism as I pointed out, you cannot base a point of veiw on a product if you have not actually experienced it yourself.

You sit behind your screen and spew out reams of useless numbers that in the real world mean two tenths of bugger all. You seem to love the european marques (and justly, they are some quality cars to be sure) and just slam Japanese cars just because you don't like them, and then have a hissy fit when someone actually takes you to task over it.

Yes I drive a Japanese car and have done for approx 5 years, would I have a Golf (R32, GTI)yes indeed. My ultimate would be an RS4 but we can't all have a mortgage sized loan for a car.

I suggest you actually have a closer look at our "rally car wannabe's" as you put it, you might get a surprise.

Like I said when you completely dissmiss them because you don't like them, your agument become as useless as a one legged cat trying to burry it's crap on a frozen lake.

So don't have a sook when people have a crack at you for it. :
Old 11-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #112
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Steffo listen to your aff members they are right, i've been reading what u have beening saying abouts evos and wrx(sti). if you hate japense cars such as these beasts, then WHY ARE U POSTING in it,

Top Gear Review On Evo x
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/...subishi-evo-x/

Syd Mtotor Picture of the evo x

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/sydn...tion-x/434633/
Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #113
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Steffo, like I said you are a numbers man, no thought goes into your response other than what you have read and retained.
Shows how little you know about me, since absolutley none of that is true.

Quote:
You are biased against Japanese car makers and that leaves you open to critisism as I pointed out, you cannot base a point of veiw on a product if you have not actually experienced it yourself.
I've been in an Evo8 and a MY02 STi and seen plenty in action in real life. The only thing left to do is drive them, but from everything I have seen, that won't change my outlook much, if any at all.

Quote:
You sit behind your screen and spew out reams of useless numbers that in the real world mean two tenths of bugger all. You seem to love the european marques (and justly, they are some quality cars to be sure) and just slam Japanese cars just because you don't like them, and then have a hissy fit when someone actually takes you to task over it.
Most of what I've been talking about (like the shifting ability of the DSG and how it can influence the performance of a car against a human being changing gears on a manual 'box) is very relevant. Yep I do slam Japanese cars and yep I don't like them. You're on the money there. Of course you don't know the experiences that lead to that hatred of Japanese cars (of which there are many). Hissy fit? I don't know your personal definition of hissy fit but...

Quote:
Yes I drive a Japanese car and have done for approx 5 years, would I have a Golf (R32, GTI)yes indeed. My ultimate would be an RS4 but we can't all have a mortgage sized loan for a car.
And I'm not trying to force you not to own that Japanese car. In fact, I wish you all the best trouble-free motoring with it.

Quote:
I suggest you actually have a closer look at our "rally car wannabe's" as you put it, you might get a surprise.

Like I said when you completely dissmiss them because you don't like them, your agument become as useless as a one legged cat trying to burry it's crap on a frozen lake.

So don't have a sook when people have a crack at you for it. :
I completley dismiss them, because as you have said to, I have had plenty good of a look at them and base my dismissal off what I have seen. And having a sook? If you think I'm having a sook? :

:
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #114
kooky
WRX terrorist

Well there you go Steffo you're actually forming a response with some basis. See how easy that was?

A large majority of your reply's are based on figures Steffo I have a hard time beleiving you when you say you don't just read and regurgitate facts and figures.

Im not suggesting you are trying to force me out of a Japanese car I was merely showing that whilst I do drive and love my "Rally wannabe" I can still appreciate the European models, hell, who wouldn't!!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #115
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Well there you go Steffo you're actually forming a response with some basis. See how easy that was?

A large majority of your reply's are based on figures Steffo I have a hard time beleiving you when you say you don't just read and regurgitate facts and figures.

Im not suggesting you are trying to force me out of a Japanese car I was merely showing that whilst I do drive and love my "Rally wannabe" I can still appreciate the European models, hell, who wouldn't!!
And its fine to love your car... if you don't you shouldn't own it, hehe. I do appreciate the performance of the WRX STi and Lancer Evo despite what some people may think, and most of my hatred towards Japanese cars is directed at Toyota and then Honda, rather then companies like Subaru.

The original question I responded to was, what can you buy as good as and/or better then the WRX STi and Lancer Evo for $60k in Australia, and I responded with the R32 and S3, because in my opinion and experience they are better cars then the Japanese pair. That doesn't mean faster, as some people have been trying to push. There is a much broader meaning to the word better then just how fast a car can go on a track.

I'll tell you one thing though... if I were to buy a Japanese car, the Impreza WRX would be one of the few considered, along with the Liberty (new shape), and a few Nissan and Mazda variants. It is one of my favoured Japanese performance cars, just in the instance of this conversation, I like the R32 and S3 more.

:
Old 22-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #116
soulfire
Kermit the Frog

Steffo - I can definitely here where you're coming from for the VW/Audi - particularly with the evo IX. As much as I love the evo - it's interior is very spartan. As an out and out performance car, it is definitely better than the VW, but the VW/Audi are much better cars as dailys.
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote