Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #91
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: "" MAYAN CALANDER ""

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
I've seen a number of his contributions on docos that I've seen, (mainly on astrophysics) along with Alex Filippenko.. are uniquely able to dumb down complex concepts so that even boneheads like me can begin to get a grasp on them.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #92
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Great thread!
Floods, fires, fammine, quakes... Ummm I reckon somethings going on..

OK Here's the thing.. Were in 2011 , right.. So why did it take 1900 years to develop the wheel? Planes, trains, the Microwave oven (They still freak me out) the Bug. Veryon.. Huge advances in the Medical areas... All in the last 100 years.. some people say war is the reason we have advanced so quickly? But man has been fighting wars for years? This is what bugs me.. Also many people claim to be seeing the number 1111 almost every day? Goggle that one also another story about gates of time? Think about it. Now look at what is happening in the Arab states.. And now Bin Laden blown away...

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #93
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWF6 310
. So why did it take 1900 years to develop the wheel
Pretty sure the wheel was invented a long long time ago
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Great thread!
Floods, fires, fammine, quakes... Ummm I reckon somethings going on..

OK Here's the thing.. Were in 2011 , right.. So why did it take 1900 years to develop the wheel? Planes, trains, the Microwave oven (They still freak me out) the Bug. Veryon.. Huge advances in the Medical areas... All in the last 100 years.. some people say war is the reason we have advanced so quickly? But man has been fighting wars for years? This is what bugs me.. Also many people claim to be seeing the number 1111 almost every day? Goggle that one also another story about gates of time? Think about it. Now look at what is happening in the Arab states.. And now Bin Laden blown away...

1900 years?? Seriously? The wheel has been around a lot longer then that. There were quite advanced civilisations back in ancient times, where medial procedures were being performed and mathematics/physics was advancing.

Unfortunately these civilisations collapsed Christianity came along, god knew all and man kind went into the dark ages until people started fighting the church and one wasn't persecuted for advancement and different idea's...especially when it went against the church's teachings.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #95
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Pretty sure the wheel was invented a long long time ago
and humans in their current state of evolution have been around a lot longer than 2 millennia.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #96
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

David Crosby (of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and on occasions, Young, fame) is selling his yacht 'Mayan'.

In case you're not into yacht p*rn, this is French actress-quality smut.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #97
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
1900 years?? Seriously? The wheel has been around a lot longer then that. There were quite advanced civilisations back in ancient times, where medial procedures were being performed and mathematics/physics was advancing.

Unfortunately these civilisations collapsed Christianity came along, god knew all and man kind went into the dark ages until people started fighting the church and one wasn't persecuted for advancement and different idea's...especially when it went against the church's teachings.
I assume you are talking about the Catholic church. Many Christians believe this too, one reason why there are so many different denominations and interpretations on the teaching of Christ and the Bible.
Yes, the wheel was used thousands of years ago. Who even knows if there wasn't more than one inventor too?
As far as the Mayan calendar goes, the only thing I know about it, is it ends at 2012 and we do not know why. We have done a good job at taking things out of proportion, as our society always does, and turned that to mean "The Mayans think the world will end." I will assume that it won't "end" in 2012, but I do believe it is gradually getting worse through all kinds of courses. If and when it doesn't end next year, everyone's going to go say "I knew they were wrong, just another scare tactic like Y2K etc," But, to my knowledge, they did not say it was going to end. I am curious to learn more about the truths the Mayans had, because many truths that our ancient world had, have been lost or distorted, and turned in to Hollywood movies for entertainment. That seems to be the major education source for people today.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #98
Scott

Quote:
This is what bugs me.. Also many people claim to be seeing the number 1111 almost every day? Goggle that one also another story about gates of time?
Not me... I see 12:34 every day, almost always the AM variety but often enough the PM version too. It was frequent enough that it is a standing joke in my house - the boss finds it a little odd that when I point at something, it's almost always a clock saying 12:34.

Go theorise and let me know what my super power is ;)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #99
Scott

<------ Just for laughs.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #100
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I assume you are talking about the Catholic church. Many Christians believe this too, one reason why there are so many different denominations and interpretations on the teaching of Christ and the Bible.
No, he is definitely talking about Christianity. You might want to read up on your history, even today the biggest opposition science faces is Christianity.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #101
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Tin foil hat stuff, we continue well past December 2012.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #102
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

In 1860, a Frenchman named Jean Joseph Etienne Lenoir devised an internal combustion engine which ran on illuminating gas. The first actual automobile, however, wasn't patented until the 1890s. Advancements have continued to be made in the time since. The automobile was the single most important development in the history of transportation since the invention of the wheel. Automobiles increased personal mobility and permitted people to live at greater distances from their work, leading to the formation of suburbs.

The next stride in transportation looked not to the land, or even to the seas, but to the sky. Although many people have toyed with flight over the millennia, the first sustained, controlled flight didn't take place until December 17, 1903, at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The inventors of this new flying machine were brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright, two bicycle makers. Their invention would eventually grow from a bicycle-propelled contraption to, after World War II, jet-propelled aircraft capable of world-wide mass transit. The aeroplane allowed people to cover great distances in less time, cutting transatlantic travel time in half.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #103
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...since the invention of the wheel.
What was the point you were making?

Quote:
trains... All in the last 100 years.. .
Also the steam engine locomotive was invented over 200 years ago. Trains as a form of transportation were developed slightly under 200 years ago.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #104
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
No, he is definitely talking about Christianity. You might want to read up on your history, even today the biggest opposition science faces is Christianity.
He was referring to "the church," Christianity is formed in many churches and sects, that don't all agree on everything. It sounds like The Catholic Church, which actually even once had a ban on possession of the bible.

Last edited by chevypower; 04-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #105
Chopped
as in chopped

What has having digs about Christianity got to do with the Mayan predictions ?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #106
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

You write a story.. an essay... a book.. There is always an ending isn't there?
So what's the problem with the Mayan calendar having an ending?
The guy who devised it had to finish somewhere?..
Maybe he got to Dec 2012 and his mates dragged him down the pub or his Mrs said enoughs enough and get out and mow the bloody lawn ya layabout.. or he simply got sick of it?
It's a bit like Pi (how many decimal points do you want to go to?)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #107
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a mob that may like some new members -

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

There's not that many at the moment (about 260 'independent thinkers') -

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/i...d=56&Itemid=73

Now before anybody starts foaming at any perceived insult, may I have a bet each way and quote the words of Hamlet -

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Last edited by shedcoupe; 04-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #108
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
What has having digs about Christianity got to do with the Mayan predictions ?
I wasn't bashing, sorry if I sounded like I was, being a Christian myself, so that's just too funny. The point was about how truths get lost over the years.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #109
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nostradamus and the prophesies of st. malacay(spelling) predicting various popes till the end. The last pope being the Jesus christ's final judgement. I have a lot more faith in these profits as their hit and miss ratio is sometimes astounding. Their connection is CHRISTIANITY'along with the prophesies in revelations telling us of the end times.

I remember when i was a kid about 25 years ago nostradumus saying the third world was will be started by a religion, and that there will be a creation of one common religion. I couldnt imagine it then, but today I can see this happening . Terrorism is the third World war and with all the fighting going on amongst the christians,orthodox and muslims i can see this maybe coming to pass in our lifetime, considering its all the same God that these religion woship

As a christian i put my faith in the teachings of the bible and keep one eye open to the prophesies of these so called modern day prophets.

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #110
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
I remember when i was a kid about 25 years ago nostradumus saying the third world was will be started by a religion, and that there will be a creation of one common religion. I couldnt imagine it then, but today I can see this happening . Terrorism is the third World war and with all the fighting going on amongst the christians,orthodox and muslims i can see this maybe coming to pass in our lifetime, considering its all the same God that these religion woship
What you likely read was someone's interpretation of the gobbledigook that he wrote, fashioned to fit an agenda. The most famous of those, predicting 9/11. Absolute hokum.

Are you referring to the succession of popes up to John Paul II and if they died(?) on certain years, marking the end of the world? When you read the original text (which had been taken from several sources and hacked to pieces) it was very open to interpretation and wasn't specific about anything, really. When John Paul II was gravely ill, wham - we had a date. Woops, John Paul made it past another year, that's ok - we interpreted it wrong, we really meant this year.

If you write enough and have enough zealous people who are interested in fashioning what you wrote to fit a current event, you'll end up looking like a genius a couple of hundred years from now.

War over religion? Doesn't take any foresight to predict that. Religion was spilling blood before Nostradamus's time and will continue to do so well after mine.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #111
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@ WWF6 310, try a google on Hargreaves story of flight in Australia.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #112
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These popes have nothing to do when they died but the names they take on when becoming a pope. It was the description of the relevence of the names. Im not one to believe in predicted dates such as the myans

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #113
gtfpv
GT

i really hope this thread remains open , i opened it in 2006, aside from major debating and a little heated discussion about who is right and who are lunatics -comes down to egos really- , it is relevent today and over the next 18 months , this will prove with time to be the biggest conspiracy in history , which in itself will transpire perhaps an acceptance, to get over the past and move forward into a different realm of thought , many philosophies , religious, predictions, and psychic nay sayers, and predictors over centuries all tie into 2011-2012.
if nothing else this is a very interesting thread involving centuries and billions of people, who have heard of the mayan calender and other tie in in relation to this time .
Rodp. you asked me if noah collected 2 of every animal and squeeze them onto an ark or not . my answer with my head is NO WAY , but i wasnt really there, so i cant prove it , one thing i can say is if it did happen , it was miraculous, moreso than probable , just as jesus feeding 2000 people with one basket of bread rolls , whos to say it did or didnt happen . thats my train of thought , nobody has come back from the dead that i know of to tell me there is life after death, so i wont know untill someone does , or i die , just as you . if you say it isnt true and is impossible , then you are only relying on your own source, not what someone else told you . and you are only one person , people like you tend to rule out all possibilities , that is logical , but it isnt the world we live in mate, evry 50 years or so the world is a different place. there are ancient artifacts seen from the air , such as airport runways , signs etc, that nobody can explain , ruling them out is closed in thought , science doesnt explain everything , and can be challanged and fairly opposed in many things.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #114
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
You write a story.. an essay... a book.. There is always an ending isn't there?
So what's the problem with the Mayan calendar having an ending?
The guy who devised it had to finish somewhere?..
Maybe he got to Dec 2012 and his mates dragged him down the pub or his Mrs said enoughs enough and get out and mow the bloody lawn ya layabout.. or he simply got sick of it?
It's a bit like Pi (how many decimal points do you want to go to?)

You don't know how close to the truth you really are, metaphorically speaking.

2012 was as far as they got before they were shot, murdered, killed, invaded, and had foreign European illnesses and disease thrust apon them in the name of god.

Rather than keep their calendar up to date from that point, they had larger problems to deal with.

And the reason humanity developed so fast in the last 150 years is because we increased in number so rapidly with the discovery of better health. More brains = more inventions = faster development.

R&D from WW2 & the billions put in to medical and space research from the 40's & 50's was the root of much of our modern technology, which apart from computing gear and communications has more or less stopped since the 80's and the emd of the cold war.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #115
gtfpv
GT

i might get shot down in flames for this , but doesn't science tell us that it is impossible for man to go to the moon ? just asking . because we either can go scientifically , or we cant ( van allen belt as the basis of this question )
Old 04-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #116
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What specifically does 'science' say about it?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #117
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The principle danger of the Van Allen belts is high-energy protons, which are not that difficult to shield against. And the Apollo navigators plotted a course through the thinnest parts of the belts and arranged for the spacecraft to pass through them quickly, limiting the exposure.

Perhaps it's not "science" that says it's not possible to go to the moon, but nutbag conspiracy theorists who know little about what they speak of, and their idiot followers who know even less. If you can make it sound plausible, then people will believe it. It's far too easy to blindly follow than do research and find answers for yourself.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #118
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
What specifically does 'science' say about it?
some years ago i read about the space shuttle cant go any further out because of the van allen belt , radiation would fry the occupants . in the 60s when man went to the moon there was no mention of this , i havent studied it , but have read enough for me to question the probability of us going to the moon today , and coupled with the reason we dont go back , i dont believe such an amazing human acheivement would just be abandoned, never to happen again , especially with the leaps sand bounds in technology since then , driving a modern 1960s car on the road at 50miles an hour was a huge safety hazard , with unstable aerodynamics, yet we could go to the moon , yet the space shuttle cant go any higher than it does today because of the van allen belt .
i'm going to say , i dont believe we went there , otherwise we'd still be going today with much more technology and safety.+ the little topics of read about the technology and science facts of the van allen belt , once agian though , this is only what i've read the rest ive concluded .
its rational for me to believe that jesus perfomed the impossible with miraculous ability , i dont think mans science is miraculous .
sorry to go off topic , but i find it interesting , and hope it doesnt offend , but this is in the bar , and like i said , i hope a little debate is allowed .

and before i get ridiculed in post 115 i asked a question . the question was doesnt science say its not possible for us to go to the moon due to the van allen belt . ? so the reason i asked is for someone to explain to me , not me explain to them .

Last edited by gtfpv; 04-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #119
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I wasn't bashing, sorry if I sounded like I was, being a Christian myself, so that's just too funny. The point was about how truths get lost over the years.
I wasn't aiming at you.
As for the truth, well it can be muddled just by passing it down a line of people.

There is only one truth yet we will never know for sure what it is.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #120
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
The principle danger of the Van Allen belts is high-energy protons, which are not that difficult to shield against. And the Apollo navigators plotted a course through the thinnest parts of the belts and arranged for the spacecraft to pass through them quickly, limiting the exposure.

Perhaps it's not "science" that says it's not possible to go to the moon, but nutbag conspiracy theorists who know little about what they speak of, and their idiot followers who know even less. If you can make it sound plausible, then people will believe it. It's far too easy to blindly follow than do research and find answers for yourself.
why is it that people who seem to know the answers ridicule and call others nutbags and idiots ?
Closed Thread