Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #91
Nova 8

Default Re: Ford losing out by not selling XR8?

If ford had a cheaper V8 I would have got one but since they didn't I have a ssv, also im not a ford or holden man so brand loyalty was never a deciding factor. Ford i think has the superior product but lack in pricing.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #92
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Makes you wonder does it even hurt having that as an option? For example you might have one or two customers who want it, just don't build them to leave laying around the dealership floor.

You get that odd customer in who wants some weird combination, say Ecoboost XT with 6sp manual, and he wants it even though he has to wait 6 months until it gets built or something?

I guess you might have to do some ECU wizardry because something that has been programmed for an auto won't like having a manual transmission in there, and its not as simple as adding a resistor inline with certain pins on the ECU anymore .

I guess its all the same module just its been "flashed" with different software.
Every single permutation and combination has to be tested and complied, it is not a case of "plug and play".

Just offering a new wheel size e.g. 20" requires huge amounts of testing and configuration of many different systems within the car as sometimes things don't do what you expect e.g. BA2 F6 clutch.

To make a manual ecoboost would require a new gearbox which would have to be tested and complied as well as the engine retested in this new configuration. There would be a new drive shaft and the interaction between all of these and the rest of the chassis would need to be tested and complied. I suspect they don't want another tail shaft problem similar to the AU.

There is a reason why it takes several years to bring out and update and a decade to bring in a platform change.
Did you ever see the first prototype DOHC I6 at the discovery centre, it was built in 1987 but we did not see it in production until 2002 and even then it demonstrated only some of the features of the current engine.

The topic is "Ford losing sales by not making an XR8" and it is true they are.

They are also losing sales by not building a GTHO, Panel van, LTD, Landau, Cortina, Fairlane, Wagon, Coupe, Convertable and whatever else that someone might or might not buy.

On the other hand they are making money and employing Australians.

Bottom line Falcon is not all things to all people.

If you want a front wheel hybrid then buy a Toyota, if you was a rotary then buy a mazda and if you want a cheap low performance V8 RWD Australian car then please BUY A HOLDEN.

If on the other hand you want the fastest performance car ever made in this country then buy a FPV GT R-Spec

A simple observation:

The slowest and cheapest FPV is quicker than the top of the range HSV
The EB4 is quicker than the entry level V6.
The ecoLpi if light years ahead of the any GMH offering.
The G6ET and XR6T are quicker than the SS.

Today in 2012 the only thing that Ford do not offer is a low performance superseded technology V8 for people who want to talk the talk rather than walk the walk and I, for one, am philosophically against lowering standards to appease whingers who have historically shown that for the most part will not by them new anyway.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #93
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Why not slot the 8 in to the base model XT?

Just the engine and bigger front brakes.

No body kits, no huge wheels, standard suspension, base spec interior... Similar to what Holden did with the SV8 with the VZ years ago.

Undercut the SS by a few grand... Just an idea.

Because no-one would buy it...

just like 3V 5.4's...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #94
AU Mont
Banned

V8 falcons didnt sell, thats why it was killed.

This is fact, and pretty damn obvious..........
Old 16-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #95
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
If ford had a cheaper V8 I would have got one but since they didn't I have a ssv, also im not a ford or holden man so brand loyalty was never a deciding factor. Ford i think has the superior product but lack in pricing.
what did you pay for your ssv?
Old 16-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #96
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Because no-one would buy it...

just like 3V 5.4's...
Suggest you look at post #89 from Nova 8...
Old 16-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #97
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I didn't realise they had to test every choice of model, so I guess I know why it doesn't work.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #98
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Suggest you look at post #89 from Nova 8...

"Ford didn't have a cheap V8 so i bought a SSV"

What a load of bunghole gunk

If he really wanted a cheap V8 he would have gone for a base SS (not even compareable to a V8 XT)...instead its a 58K SSV, same cost as a Supercharged GS...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #99
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
"Ford didn't have a cheap V8 so i bought a SSV"

What a load of bunghole gunk

If he really wanted a cheap V8 he would have gone for a base SS (not even compareable to a V8 XT)...instead its a 58K SSV, same cost as a Supercharged GS...
There's no point in trying to make sense to those that are clearly blind sighted mate, it's a waste of time.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #100
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Seems we've reached the point in the thread where it's going to run around in circles.

General opinion is - yes ford are losing out by not offering a more entry level V8, although not enough to justify the R+D imvolved in re-introducing one.

On a side note, I also didnt realise the whole car would require so much extra testing for minor changes, I assumed if it was the same chassis and used the base of an existing model it would all be pretty straight forward

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 16-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #101
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
Seems we've reached the point in the thread where it's going to run around in circles
with all due respects, this thread has already gone around in circles many times over the last couple of years
Old 16-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #102
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

There's little use in the thread continuing... The usual suspects who believe Ford can do no wrong in regards to selling the Falcon are so opposed to criticism from those who dare suggest otherwise (like maybe a cheaper 8 would boost sales) that any "debate" is a waste of time.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #103
Nova 8

I get a discount on Holdens due to family members who work there. I wanted a v8 for the first time in my life. The SS is what I was originally looking at getting but decided to get the ssv instead which was only possible due to the discount. As I said if ford had a xr8 with a cheaper price tag that's the way I may of went.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #104
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Every single permutation and combination has to be tested and complied, it is not a case of "plug and play".

Just offering a new wheel size e.g. 20" requires huge amounts of testing and configuration of many different systems within the car as sometimes things don't do what you expect e.g. BA2 F6 clutch.

To make a manual ecoboost would require a new gearbox which would have to be tested and complied as well as the engine retested in this new configuration. There would be a new drive shaft and the interaction between all of these and the rest of the chassis would need to be tested and complied. I suspect they don't want another tail shaft problem similar to the AU.

There is a reason why it takes several years to bring out and update and a decade to bring in a platform change.
Did you ever see the first prototype DOHC I6 at the discovery centre, it was built in 1987 but we did not see it in production until 2002 and even then it demonstrated only some of the features of the current engine.

The topic is "Ford losing sales by not making an XR8" and it is true they are.

They are also losing sales by not building a GTHO, Panel van, LTD, Landau, Cortina, Fairlane, Wagon, Coupe, Convertable and whatever else that someone might or might not buy.

On the other hand they are making money and employing Australians.

Bottom line Falcon is not all things to all people.

If you want a front wheel hybrid then buy a Toyota, if you was a rotary then buy a mazda and if you want a cheap low performance V8 RWD Australian car then please BUY A HOLDEN.

If on the other hand you want the fastest performance car ever made in this country then buy a FPV GT R-Spec

A simple observation:

The G6ET and XR6T are quicker than the SS.

Today in 2012 the only thing that Ford do not offer is a low performance superseded technology V8 for people who want to talk the talk rather than walk the walk and I, for one, am philosophically against lowering standards to appease whingers who have historically shown that for the most part will not by them new anyway.
Settle down & have a cup of tea.....I think you might have a heart attack or something....It is only a forum discussion of opinions....no need to get worked up!!!
Old 16-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #105
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I get a discount on Holdens due to family members who work there. I wanted a v8 for the first time in my life. The SS is what I was originally looking at getting but decided to get the ssv instead which was only possible due to the discount. As I said if ford had a xr8 with a cheaper price tag that's the way I may of went.
So Ford Aus should make a cheaper version V8 Falcon and price it accordingly to that of a discount voucher you would get from the oposistion....
Now I have heard it all
Old 16-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #106
Nova 8

Just FYI if ford had an xr8 for arguments sake at 48-50k I would have payed the EXTRA for it. Hopefully in a year when I sell the commodore I'll only lose a couple grand... how short sighted of me.....
Old 16-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #107
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
So Ford Aus should make a cheaper version V8 Falcon and price it accordingly to that of a discount voucher you would get from the oposistion....
Now I have heard it all
If ford had a v8 with less kit which was worth less money then their current line up I would have paid for it. I don't expect them to match the Holden discount price and give me things like leather interior, cloth would do, little rims etc hence budget v8 for ford.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #108
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
If ford had a v8 with less kit which was worth less money then their current line up I would have paid for it. I don't expect them to match the Holden discount price and give me things like leather interior, cloth would do, little rims etc hence budget v8 for ford.
If you are that much of a Ford V8 fan as you claim to be, you would have shopped around and seriously looked into one of the best if not the best V8 available on the Ford sales line up today,

A FPV GS......

You claim you would have spent your hard earned and more over the Commodore so why are you sitting here trying to justify your decsion with going the CHEAPER route, because that is how I see it, it has nothing to do with your claims of Ford not offering a V8 as technically they do and at a competitive price aswell.
The only person you are fooling here is yourself and those that have whinged constantly over the yr's about a product at which they themselves can be part blamed for not being available today.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #109
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

I've found Demo FG2 GS falcons for 50k...

Same price as an SS.

And with leather, nice supercharged motor, big rims etc...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #110
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Now I have heard it all
Any one buying a new car will want to pay the least amount....that is fact!!!

Last edited by Auslandau; 16-09-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Quit the name calling ....
Old 16-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #111
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Can I whinge that I cannot get a cheap new V8 Audi for the same price as an SS ..... cos I would really really love one?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #112
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A simple observation:

The G6ET and XR6T are quicker than the SS., SS-V and V8 Calais

Repeated for emphasis.....

Sure, Ford could offer a low cost NA 5.0 V8 powered XR8 but chances are that
people would still not buy it for one reason or the other, Ford knows it, plenty here do too...
Old 16-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #113
Nova 8

Post Re: Ford losing out by not selling XR8?

Quote:
If you are that much of a Ford V8 fan as you claim to be, you would have shopped around and seriously looked into one of the best if not the best V8 available on the Ford sales line up today,

A FPV GS......

You claim you would have spent your hard earned and more over the Commodore so why are you sitting here trying to justify your decsion with going the CHEAPER route, because that is how I see it, it has nothing to do with your claims of Ford not offering a V8 as technically they do and at a competitive price aswell.
The only person you are fooling here is yourself and those that have whinged constantly over the yr's about a product at which they themselves can be part blamed for not being available today.
You read my posts or just the parts you want to, I clearly stated that I'm not a ford or Holden fan. I just wanted a v8 and tbh I prefer the look of the falcon too. I also said I couldn't afford the gs, this would also be true for the ssv with out the discount. The thread is about if there was a cheaper xr8 would it sell and I'm saying I would have bought a xr8 if it was available and at the right price. And before you quote me then go off on some random tangent the assumption would be that the xr8 is a cheap ford which offers less then the ssv and therefore costs less, much like the ss.

So just to sum up in dot points so its easy
- not a ford OR Holden fan boy
- couldn't afford the gs but could afford the ssv due to the ridiculous Holden employee discount
- not a cheap scape who wants everything for nothing. Not everyone can afford the best

On that point, what do you drive, a nice new shiney fpv I hope since it seems everyone who doesn't buy at least a gs is a cheap fool.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #114
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
There's no point in trying to make sense to those that are clearly blind sighted mate, it's a waste of time.
Note to self......
Old 16-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #115
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

A Xr8 was avaiable....and at 45k...

And it sold poorly...

But we have a GS, and its part of FPV's raising sales (up something like 60%, where Falcon sales as a whole have dropped...), seems people are happy to pay more money for a V8....

So, to stick with the topic...the lack of an XR8 would not be hurting ford too much.

Sure, they could have one...and it might attract a few more buyers, but it would/could also steal away sales from the GS and XR6 turbo...and that would hurt Ford through less profit gained per sale...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #116
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The topic of this thread?

It asks a question.

Those that respond that yes, Ford is missing out, maybe they should have a cheaper 8 are aggresively attacked by the usuals.

It doesn't allow or encourage a two way discussion. Which I thought was one of the attributes of this forum.

In summary, there are a couple of people who think that there is room for a cheaper 8.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #117
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

How many years ago are we talking Nikked?

What was it's engine? How much power did it put out?

It didn't sell very well at the end because the turbo 6 was so much quicker.

That isn't the case anymore.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #118
Itsme
Experienced Member

Last edited by Auslandau : Today at 08:47 PM. Reason: Quit the name calling ....

Name calling, sorry I was merely stating in a term who would pay more if they have to.... no insult intended.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #119
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Those that respond that yes, Ford is missing out, maybe they should have a cheaper 8 are aggresively attacked by the usuals
it is a 2 way street - those who think ford know what they are doing are aggressively attacked by the usual types from the other corner

Quote:
It doesn't allow or encourage a two way discussion. Which I thought was one of the attributes of this forum
there was a 2 way discussion on this years ago - and approximately the same 2 way discussion every 6 weeks until today - maybe the usual's are sick to death of people always second guessing the company that has everything to lose if a cheaper v8 is not profitable
Old 16-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #120
Nova 8

Quote:
The topic of this thread?

It asks a question.

Those that respond that yes, Ford is missing out, maybe they should have a cheaper 8 are aggresively attacked by the usuals.

It doesn't allow or encourage a two way discussion. Which I thought was one of the attributes of this forum.

In summary, there are a couple of people who think that there is room for a cheaper 8.
Someone who gets it, good to see some people are just blind fan boys!

Quote:
A Xr8 was avaiable....and at 45k...

And it sold poorly...

But we have a GS, and its part of FPV's raising sales (up something like 60%, where Falcon sales as a whole have dropped...), seems people are happy to pay more money for a V8....

So, to stick with the topic...the lack of an XR8 would not be hurting ford too much.

Sure, they could have one...and it might attract a few more buyers, but it would/could also steal away sales from the GS and XR6 turbo...and that would hurt Ford through less profit gained per sale...
At 45k I would have had the XR8 no questions, but its not offered. I'm not saying ford should build one, merely responding to the thread stating that ford would have recieved my business over holden if they sold an xr8 still but i understand why they dont. On this note, I want a NEW V8 but cant afford the GS and dont want a xt - what option do i have? Apparently buy a GS....

Im not whinging that ford doesnt have a car to met my needs, thats life, move on. I did and i bought a holden.