Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #91
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexr8
Yes, I won a 4WD. Why? Because I want to.
I want to win lotto, will I win it now? :yeees:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 22-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #92
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I think the point being raised is that currently these vehicles do not have the same taxes placed on them, and as such have become an incentive for people to buy them over any other normal car.

Additionally, they are classified as a commercial vehicle and as such do not attract any Fringe Benefits Tax, and again only serves to entice people to buy them over a normal car.
I have to agree with this post. The tax regime hits people movers but not "light truck" style 4x4's. It costs the same or more for a decent people mover than a "light truck" 4x4. What would you buy? Most people go for the best value option, more power, more room (including luggage) and generally better resale. Ford has done the right thing designing and introducing the Territory. The biggest problem comes when you find vehicles that come in both 4x4 and 4x2 but are almost identical in ride height etc.. This is why you need to qualify it as "light truck" vehicles, then you can include delivery vans and 2-3T pantech's etc. in any special licence training.
The crash incombatibility of differing vehicles will always be an issue unless every vehicle on the road were exactly the same (including how their maintained). This will never happen. My Falcon would punch a sizeable hole through any car in a side impact at speeds over 50 km/h. Should it be banned?

I should add here that I have no problems with 4x4's (legally modified or stock).

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 22-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #93
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
My BMW 5 series weighs 1.6t dry. With a tank of gas, and 4 people in, will be over 2 tonne (a trip to the tip with a trailer on the back was showing nearly 2.5t). Should I need a special licence to drive that too?
My Territory is 2.1 tonne ... plus car trailer ... plus rubbish = 3.8 tonne

But as I mentioned before ... someone can have a tiny box trailer ... and still can handle that.

Not really a new licence ... but definitely extra training is needed.
Old 22-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #94
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I hope you're not serious. 4x4's drive alot differently than the standard sedan. There is a skill, this skill is laking from most 4x4 drivers.
You are obviously a great driver and very familiar with modern four wheel drives! NOT Yes all those Cayennes, Range Rovers, X5s i seen tipped on the footpaths around Toorak cos they couldnt handle putting around a suburban street. I seen skill lacking from most drivers, even Commodores and Falcons, in fact I even get held up by slow 2 wheel drive cars while i am driving my fourbie! What's up with that? These so called better handling, safer vehicles are not being demonstrated in any way. Now LTDHO, please tell us all how I should drive a 4x4, cos i have driven every car i have driven the same way, this will give me a good laugh - cos I seemed to handle both F250s on Saturday just fine thats about as big as they come, and i even accelerated much quicker than the other cars, and managed to turn the corner faster than the little buzz box next to me. Drove a new Navara the other day, same thing - so I am obviously doing something wrong here, cos i am not tipping them over and crashing them and running over children like i am supposed to be doing. That's it! It's because i dont have a specialized license instructing me to do so!
Old 22-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #95
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
My Territory is 2.1 tonne ... plus car trailer ... plus rubbish = 3.8 tonne

But as I mentioned before ... someone can have a tiny box trailer ... and still can handle that.

Not really a new licence ... but definitely extra training is needed.
Was just pointing out the inconsistencies with the suggested anything over 2 tonne law a couple of pages ago.
But yes, as that saying goes, guns don't kill people, people do. Same sh1t different example here.
Old 22-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #96
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Depends how it is setup and used I guess.

Also depends where you live and where you work (Need to travel).
Also comes down to using it for a hobby as well.

Like most people lower cars and put bodykits on them ... and larger wheels, etc.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ... it coems down to if the modification sare done properly/safely ... and then it comes down to the driver of the vehicle (moreso than anything else).

Quite a few friends of mine have "high-rise vehicles" (mucho money spent too) ... and they get used for their intended purposes ... but also get used in suburbia too. But they all know their vehicles aren't built for speed and cornering ... and their drive accordingly to be safe.

They can't afrd to drive like idiots in them ... cos of the amount of money that is spent on thier vehicles.
Thats true if the drivers are not drivng there 4WD like a sports car and no its limits they are no more dangerous than any other car
Old 22-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #97
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I hope you're not serious. 4x4's drive alot differently than the standard sedan. There is a skill, this skill is laking from most 4x4 drivers.

I agree.

Classic example; cornering.

Last weekend I had misfortune of being tailgated by an idiot in a Prado, he was trying to force me to go faster than 60 (the speed limit). I was in the left hand lane and had to turn, so I took the turn with out braking (quite safely) and I watched in the rear vision mirror os the driver of the Prado attempted the same thing; an interesting moment. The thing had massive understeer and I could see the drivers panicked face has he attempted to bring the Prado under control, he kept of my butt after that.

Some 4WD's are just trucks with car comforts and they need to be driven lioke trucks, maybe the manufacturer snould point this out.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 22-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #98
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and a Falcon will never keep up with me in the Celica when going on the windy roads in the hills, ban them too hey! There are a lot of people who like pushing cars they dont own, that is true when car drivers get in a four wheel drive for their first time, it is them who like to tailgate a lot more than people who drive 4 wheel drives all the time. So let's ban those people from the roads! By the way, i have rented the latest 4L Prado, and i disagree with it's cornering capabilities you described - perhaps there are drivers out there who are just bleedin incompetant (more so than I realized) I never had to go slower than any other car that was doing the speed limit, i can promise you that, i even pushed it a little just for a bit of fun to see what it could do. I think there are just people who will hate 4x4s no matter what, they dont drive them to ever really know, and no matter what you tell them, they will only believe what they want to believe

Last edited by chevypower; 22-12-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #99
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Shall I put it this way?
"Ban the idiots, not the vehicles!"

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 22-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #100
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
and a Falcon will never keep up with me in the Celica when going on the windy roads in the hills, ban them too hey! There are a lot of people who like pushing cars they dont own, that is true when car drivers get in a four wheel drive for their first time, it is them who like to tailgate a lot more than people who drive 4 wheel drives all the time. So let's ban those people from the roads! By the way, i have rented the latest 4L Prado, and i disagree with it's cornering capabilities you described - perhaps there are drivers out there who are just bleedin incompetant (more so than I realized) I never had to go slower than any other car that was doing the speed limit, i can promise you that, i even pushed it a little just for a bit of fun to see what it could do. I think there are just people who will hate 4x4s no matter what, they dont drive them to ever really know, and no matter what you tell them, they will only believe what they want to believe
I took the corner at a safe speed that any sedan could have done, the Prado's centre of gravity & live axle suspension caused the vehicle to behave in a manner that the driver was not accustomed to.

WHEELS ACTIVE SAFETY PROGRAM...... dial-up UNfriendly shows the Prado coming 13 in a pack of 15 vehicles.
A van came last, but most people don't expect a van to handle like a car and so drive accordingly, hopefully people of truck based 4WD's do the same.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 22-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #101
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Shall I put it this way?
Amen to that
Old 22-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #102
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would agree it sounds like the driver not being accustomed to it, the vehicle can handle being "driven" if you get what I mean, but that's not because the vehicle is under-performing, more than likely just different to drive. Hey if somebody jumps in to a vehicle they are not comfortable with before they even get in it, then no matter how good the vehicle is, they are not going to feel comfortable about driving it for a while. One of the scariest things that happened to me was in an EF Falcon, driving along the wet windy road, the tail slid out and the car came to a halt across the middle of both lanes - it was my fault, i just got my license, the car had lousy grip and traction. People gotta take responsibility for themselves, I did. Having said that, i am also pointing out these cars such as the EF are not that great (Futura fitted with crappy tyres, no LSD and a live axle) I wouldnt expect the Prado to have done that in the same situation.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #103
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Shall I put it this way?
Best post in this thread ^
Old 22-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #104
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Shall I put it this way?
fair enough. But then anyone here that's been out 4WD'n knows that the people that use a 4WD for their intended purpose are crazy idiot's :
Old 22-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #105
Falcon

Do the 4wd owners tell you what to drive? Why should anyone have the right to tell someone what they should or shouldn't drive?

Quote:
Mechan1k

I saw a case the other day at the Waste Management facility ... a guy with an X-trail and a tiny box trailer ... do you think he could reverse it on a 45 degree angle the 6 metres he need .... noooooooo ... it took him 20 minutes to do it. I nearly told the guy to get out of his vehicle and I'd reverse it for him.
How is he suposed to learn if he doesn't get out there and try it (oh, and box trailers are harder to control than large ones. I suposed u just jumped in a car and started reversing trailers like a pro? I doubt it! Maybe if he was given some advice, he would learn quicker! :

FORD EA SERIES 11, 3.9L CFI, DUAL FUEL, 5 SPEED, LSD, WADE CAM, EXTRACTORS, SPORTS EXHAUST - Daily Driver :

Last edited by Falcon; 22-12-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 22-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #106
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
You are obviously a great driver and very familiar with modern four wheel drives! NOT Yes all those Cayennes, Range Rovers, X5s i seen tipped on the footpaths around Toorak cos they couldnt handle putting around a suburban street. I seen skill lacking from most drivers, even Commodores and Falcons, in fact I even get held up by slow 2 wheel drive cars while i am driving my fourbie! What's up with that? These so called better handling, safer vehicles are not being demonstrated in any way. Now LTDHO, please tell us all how I should drive a 4x4, cos i have driven every car i have driven the same way, this will give me a good laugh - cos I seemed to handle both F250s on Saturday just fine thats about as big as they come, and i even accelerated much quicker than the other cars, and managed to turn the corner faster than the little buzz box next to me. Drove a new Navara the other day, same thing - so I am obviously doing something wrong here, cos i am not tipping them over and crashing them and running over children like i am supposed to be doing. That's it! It's because i dont have a specialized license instructing me to do so!
Fortunately I drive a series of vehicles. Including new Hilux's and Patrols and a Patrol similar to the one in the pic! I am very familiar on how they accelerate, stop and steer. However my point isn’t based on this. More so the bulkiness. It appears that most large vehicle owners still drive like they are in a corolla or Laser.
In my experience I have seen many more 4x4’s roll than sedans. I blame both the vehicle and driver for this.
Also I see daily the 4x4 driver staying to close to the vehicle in front. I have to assume that is because the aluminium bull bar will protect the driver of the 4x4. As a winch can not be bolted to an aluminium bull bar, I fail to see a use for these.
I didn’t ever suggest that sedan drivers are better.
Quote:
How to select reverse is different on a 4x4 to a 4x2?
Due to a massive blind spot behind the driver of a lifted 4x4, it is not as simple as selecting reverse. Extra care has to be taken.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m anti 4x4 as I drive one myself and go off road frequently.

I am however anti SUV. I classify SUV as any 4x4 that doesn’t go off road.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 22-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #107
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
I don't think it has anything to do with buying these vehicles to avoid paying more tax!

Are you also implying that unskilled people only buy 4x4's???? How about the unskilled people behind the wheel of high performance cars, buses, trucks, hell almost every taxi!!!
Your first point; absolutely. When these vehicles hit the shore here they attract less duty than normal sedans. Also, commercial vehicles in general have do not attract any FBT, so as either a company vehicle or a novated lease vehicle they are a sound choice. Especially when FBT rates can be up to 49% of the annual depreciated value of the vehicle.

I am not implying that unskilled people buy 4wd's at all. What I am implying is that these vehicles through design have a higher propensity to seriously injure people than a normal sedan due to their impact points being higher, as well as their centre of gravity being higher.

Quote: