Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Yes they will need it to keep 5 stars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #92
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

EPAS/active park assist may be difficult because of the competing space between the I6's bottom end and the EPAS assembly.

But adaptive cruise and blind spot assist/lane departure warning shouldnt be that difficult, because the systems to control it already exist in the parts bin, as do the wing mirrors that incorporate the sensors to run it (look at the mirrors of the latest VOlvo S60 - still using EUCD mirrors but has a blind spot/lane change warning sensor, AND a folding mirror function. And a funky LED indicator...)

As for needing a corporate wiring harness needed to run the whole shebang - I seem to recall the SZ Territory had something like this included in its development/update?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #93
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
My wish: Factory sunroof and heated seats! Not a joke.
My Holden Cruze CDX had those as factory back int 2010
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #94
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
The question is not who "needs" heated seats. If we're reducing cars down to the absolute essentials, then we wouldn't have air conditioning, or power steering, or radio ....

The question is who "wants" to have it. Granted, not everybody does, but if these gadgets get more and more people into Falcon, then that's a good thing.
That is exactly right - our Holden Cruz in 2010 had heated seats, I used them a couple of times but my wife used them all the time and yes we lived in southern NSW where it gets very cold and yes they heated really quick compared to the heater.

Get into a car with leather seats in freezing cold you soon get to love heated seats.
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #95
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1 View Post
Does anyone know if the FG currently use a global wiring architecture? If not they'll definitely need it to implement any of the new toys the VF has i imagine.
It doesn't but it wont need it. All wiring will need redesign. B series to FG was a redesign.
Old 14-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #96
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I wonder if that flash new IRS in the next gen Mustang will turn up in the Falcon...apparently...allegedly, it is an "evolved control blade" IRS and there is only one vehicle in the Ford world that uses CB IRS in a RWD platform...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 14-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I wonder if that flash new IRS in the next gen Mustang will turn up in the Falcon...apparently...allegedly, it is an "evolved control blade" IRS and there is only one vehicle in the Ford world that uses CB IRS in a RWD platform...
That would be good...especially for the performance range.
Old 15-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #98
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

From what I can tell from the pictures of the Muatang mules, the new IRS has 2 key differences over Falcons CB IRS - The diff centre is hanging from the cradle without any hard point directly beneath it. This could simply be a result of a proper RWD adaptation. There also doesn't seem to be actual Control Blades, or any forward facing links. It's possible they're hidden or they may have been removed to accommodate Mustangs tricky rear floor/seating requirement and tr rest of the multi link arrangement was carried over and adapted.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #99
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
....Oh, and by the way, the Chrysler 300 that people are quick to draw into comparisons, is not setting the world on fire with sales....
I'm struggling to find sales figures for the 300 range for Dec/Jan. Do you have a reference?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #100
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
I'm struggling to find sales figures for the 300 range for Dec/Jan. Do you have a reference?
According to here the 300 sold 162 cars in Jan.

can't find Dec 12 ones yet.

I know Chrysler AU is having trouble getting stock for the GC and 300.
Old 15-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #101
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 300 beat the Caprice
Upper Large Car Segment Winners:

Chrysler 300 (162 – 73.3% of upper large under 100k)
Holden Caprice (59 – 26.7% of upper large under 100k)
Bentley (26 – 44.1% of upper large over 100k)
Old 15-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #102
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people keep going on on about a bat ugly, brick looking, crap of thing called a Chrysler 300?? It has no place being discussed in this topic!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #103
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Why do people keep going on on about a bat ugly, brick looking, crap of thing called a Chrysler 300?? It has no place being discussed in this topic!!
As a tech leader in a similar price range, yep it should be in this thread.

Comparing features, tech, etc on large cars (when discussing possible features and tech on the 2014 Falcon) is topical IMO.

As Ford fans if we cannot discuss what the opposition offers and if we would or would not like to see some of what's out there on our Falcon, then we may as well start calling each other comrade! ;)

FYI, apart from Falcon variants, the following have been mentioned in this thread alone: ;)

VE and VF Commodore
SS
SSute
SSV
Calais
Colorado
Ford
Mondeo
Fusion
Ranger
Chrysler 300
Jeep
Toyota Camry
Volvo
Jaguar
Aston Martin

Now, what I'd like to see on the 2014 model Falcon range is:
Adaptive Cruise Control (standard).
Blind Spot Assist (standard)
Collision avoidance alert (standard)
Vented and heated front seats (optional)
Decent audio (optional)

I’ve got a bigger list for FPV’s on what I’d like to see.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #104
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

temperature adjustable seats would`nt be bad,
sunroof is pretty nice for letting the heat out quickly, can`t understand why they don`t offer that any more.
auto retractable steering column when you pull the key out, hooked up to the seat/memory controls, this makes getting in and out for us big old farts a bit easier.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #105
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This is what could be construed as the latest Ford interior: the 2013 Fusion/Mondeo. I'd expect the 2014 Falcon to pick up some of these design themes. The Taurus by comparison looks like a typical Yank interior: horrid.

It looks a bit drab compared to the VF Calais interior (I don't know what spec this Fusion photo is of) but that is because of the single colour used everywhere. Obviously that 'detail' level can be changed relatively easy and Ford have the benefit of time, not to mention the inside knowledge of future product and what they will look like and what they will contain (Mustang in particular).

3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #106
Lardman

The dash is a bit boring, but it's quite nice otherwise. Would prefer a flat bottom wheel though.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #107
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Ford gets a little more parental autonomy with the interior than Holden had with the VF.
Also that they don't just stuff it with pointless tech.
It won't be hard to top the conservative styling of VF.
Hope to see Ecoboost for the ute, which would mean a manual for it and an Ecoboost sport model ( with skinny tyres); V8 Coyote and ZF 8 speed upgrade at some point, by 2015 it would be as affordable as the 6 speeds have been since 2005, surely.

Holden has reshuffled their range drastically, and it looks like they are avoiding the fleet stigma of Omega.
If Ford wanted to follow this approach (and they probably will given the XT's lack of showroom appeal), they would have to add interest and purpose to the base model.
G-series has luxury covered, XR is sporty , maybe base model should be a retro homage to XK or past Falcons.
I'm talking chrome hubcabs and retro themes such as cream brown interior, brightwork, optional patina matte paint,badging, retro F O R D letting like F150 Raptor and boot opener on the rear disgused as the old fuel caps.

Just an idea.

Last edited by FalconXV; 16-02-2013 at 02:27 AM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #108
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
The dash is a bit boring, but it's quite nice otherwise. Would prefer a flat bottom wheel though.
Who give's a what the dash looks like when you are staring at the road?
As long as it translates the necessary information when you need it, not after the fact.

Interior always looks good, as does the exterior when the vehicle is stationary!

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #109
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ok, so getting back to what I have said previously about the FG's mirrors. The FG uses EUCD door mirrors, that is, they are straight out of the Ford global parts bin but technically they are a Volvo or Jag part. I'd say there is some sort of IP requirement in place that gives Ford ongoing access to "their" design and intellectual property, regardless of the fact that Ford no longer own Volvo or Jag.

Here is the mirror of the FG:

And this one is from a current model Volvo S60 (ignore the red square):

As you can see, it has an LED indicator. But you can also see the BLIS sensor (Ford-speak for Blind Spot Information System) which also works as the lane departure warning sensor. There is a corresponding warning light on the inside on the door:

This mirror also has the auto-fold function as I've seen them in action. So what do we think? Given this is parts-bin stuff, I'm willing to bet it will turn up on the '14 Falcon. Integrating it into the car's system (whatever that will be) is another matter entirely though and would be up to the boffins to work it all out.

Old 18-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #110
Smoin
Starter Motor

i heard there dropping the 8 yet again
Smoin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #111
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

^^^ You heard wrong.

Old 18-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #112
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoin View Post
really? where did you hear that?
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #113
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

2014 Falcon, it is now or never for Ford.

They really need to nail the quality in the vehicles. It has been improving with each model but too slowly. The materials need not be exotic but they need to feel better and fit better. Ford have been building cars long enough now to be able to fix these issues. You just have to look at the Focus and Mondeo. My Focus has just hit 5 years in age and not a squeak or rattle, no components are loose either. And most importantly it has coped in the Aussie heat (according to some here it should have fallen apart long ago).

The other area that needs attention is value for money. right now I don't see the value all the way up the range. Sure the drive trains are nice but when competitors are offering not only a decent drive train but a whole lot of other features. Many here though laugh that off calling it trinkets and gadgets. That's fine but when I'm spending 40 - 80k on a car I will be looking at every option, every make that suits the market I am in. it's my money and I'll spend it where i see the best value is. Not everyone wants just power. It is up to Ford to be able to convince me why I should buy one of their cars. Right now the Focus already has my attention in the hatch segment.

Ford need to use what parts they already have in the One Ford empire. Don't reinvent the wheel. The work has already been done, now it just needs to be engineered to fit to the Falcon.

Also keep consistency with the naming of the cars, don't keep confusing everyone.

Lastly, if the Falcon is world class then how about putting on the world stage to prove how good it supposedly is. To justify the manufacturing here they need to expand their market.

Goodluck Ford.
Old 18-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #114
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
The other area that needs attention is value for money. right now I don't see the value all the way up the range. Sure the drive trains are nice but when competitors are offering not only a decent drive train but a whole lot of other features. Many here though laugh that off calling it trinkets and gadgets. That's fine but when I'm spending 40 - 80k on a car I will be looking at every option, every make that suits the market I am in. it's my money and I'll spend it where i see the best value is. Not everyone wants just power. It is up to Ford to be able to convince me why I should buy one of their cars. Right now the Focus already has my attention in the hatch segment.
I'm not going to tell you Falcons equipment levels are where they need to be, but if you shop a $30k Focus against a $30k Falcon and buy on trim and equipment, the Focus will win every time, and so it should. Ford need to be able to sell Falcon on the merits of being a larger car and the market justifying a similarly equipped large car to sell for more.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #115
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoin View Post
Guess what? New superchargef GTs rolling out of Broadmedows today....V8 is far from dead.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #116
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
2014 Falcon, it is now or never for Ford.

They really need to nail the quality in the vehicles. It has been improving with each model but too slowly. The materials need not be exotic but they need to feel better and fit better. Ford have been building cars long enough now to be able to fix these issues. You just have to look at the Focus and Mondeo. My Focus has just hit 5 years in age and not a squeak or rattle, no components are loose either. And most importantly it has coped in the Aussie heat (according to some here it should have fallen apart long ago).

Ford need to use what parts they already have in the One Ford empire. Don't reinvent the wheel. The work has already been done, now it just needs to be engineered to fit to the Falcon.

Also keep consistency with the naming of the cars, don't keep confusing everyone.

Lastly, if the Falcon is world class then how about putting on the world stage to prove how good it supposedly is. To justify the manufacturing here they need to expand their market.

Goodluck Ford.
Perhaps you can list what you'd like.

All I want in a car is effortless power, automatic, most of the modern gadgets (rain-sensing wipers? ROFL) and respectable economy. No other car can come close. The V8 commodore is too thirsty and the WRX in auto is no good AND has a very plain interior with very basic seats.

My 2008 FG has been near faultless except for wearing out its diff bushes at around 80,000km. To get my business again it just needs better economy and/or power AND some more modern gadgets, eg keyless start. Would also love the option of a HUDisplay on da glass.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #117
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
Perhaps you can list what you'd like.
thought my post pretty much outlined what i would have expected from 2014 Falcon.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #118
gazza6
Starter Motor

Interesting article on the 2014 falcon:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...219-2eo9j.html

Ford is toying with revealing next year’s all-important facelifted Falcon early, and has also hinted the long-standing nameplate could stick around beyond 2017.

While Holden was forced to rip the covers off the VF Commodore four months before its high-tech new models hit the showrooms because of the Chevy SS reveal at Daytona Speedway this week, Ford is looking to stimulate interest in its fledgling large car with a drip-feed reveal program that could start as early as September - up to six months before production commences.

“We haven’t announced when we will start production of the 2014 Falcon yet, and we haven’t locked in when we will start talking about it publicly also,” Ford President Bob Graziano told Drive during a ceremony to celebrate FPV production commencing at its Broadmeadows plant.

“But there is an opportunity to begin that process this year. We have a very busy year ahead of us with a raft of exciting new products and we certainly think they all deserve some fresh air around them.

Advertisement “We’re looking at our options.”

The Falcon is fighting for fresh air against a range of new models that are likely to provide Ford with more sales than the local hero, including the all-new Kuga and Ecosport SUVs and the revised Fiesta range that includes new top-and-tail models: the ultra fuel efficient 1.0-litre Ecoboost and the sporty ST with its 1.6-litre turbo.

But the Falcon is still an important vehicle for Ford. And after Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux confirmed last week that the Commodore nameplate would live on after the current model is replaced by a global platform, Graziano also didn’t rule out the possibility Ford could continue with the Falcon badge beyond 2017 when it is expected the locally-produced large sedan will be replaced by a global car.

While Ford's "One Ford" mantra is designed to produce a range of vehicles that are sold under the same nameplate in all markets - such as the Fiesta and Focus - there is a precedent set with Ford’s mid-sized front-wheel drive car, which is sold as the Fusion in the US and the Mondeo in Europe and other markets, that could open the door for a similar car to be badged as a Falcon here in Australia.

“We have to see where we go with our strategy moving forward,” Graziano said.

“There is a lot of speculation regarding what we’re doing beyond the 2014 Falcon refresh. And at the moment, everything is an option for us.”
gazza6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #119
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza6 View Post
Interesting article on the 2014 falcon:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...219-2eo9j.html

Ford is toying with revealing next year’s all-important facelifted Falcon early, and has also hinted the long-standing nameplate could stick around beyond 2017.

While Holden was forced to rip the covers off the VF Commodore four months before its high-tech new models hit the showrooms because of the Chevy SS reveal at Daytona Speedway this week, Ford is looking to stimulate interest in its fledgling large car with a drip-feed reveal program that could start as early as September - up to six months before production commences.

“We haven’t announced when we will start production of the 2014 Falcon yet, and we haven’t locked in when we will start talking about it publicly also,” Ford President Bob Graziano told Drive during a ceremony to celebrate FPV production commencing at its Broadmeadows plant.

“But there is an opportunity to begin that process this year. We have a very busy year ahead of us with a raft of exciting new products and we certainly think they all deserve some fresh air around them.

Advertisement “We’re looking at our options.”

The Falcon is fighting for fresh air against a range of new models that are likely to provide Ford with more sales than the local hero, including the all-new Kuga and Ecosport SUVs and the revised Fiesta range that includes new top-and-tail models: the ultra fuel efficient 1.0-litre Ecoboost and the sporty ST with its 1.6-litre turbo.

But the Falcon is still an important vehicle for Ford. And after Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux confirmed last week that the Commodore nameplate would live on after the current model is replaced by a global platform, Graziano also didn’t rule out the possibility Ford could continue with the Falcon badge beyond 2017 when it is expected the locally-produced large sedan will be replaced by a global car.

While Ford's "One Ford" mantra is designed to produce a range of vehicles that are sold under the same nameplate in all markets - such as the Fiesta and Focus - there is a precedent set with Ford’s mid-sized front-wheel drive car, which is sold as the Fusion in the US and the Mondeo in Europe and other markets, that could open the door for a similar car to be badged as a Falcon here in Australia.

“We have to see where we go with our strategy moving forward,” Graziano said.

“There is a lot of speculation regarding what we’re doing beyond the 2014 Falcon refresh. And at the moment, everything is an option for us.”
Brave thing to do. In early 2002 I was about 90% sold on a shiny new AU3 XR8 and was on a test drive on a "private road" when the amazingly clever sales guys said, and if you think this one is fast wait until you see the new model next year, it has the Mustang engine.

Result, no sale of XR8 and if the HSV dealer in Noosa had not been such an idiot there was a pretty good chance I would have bought a GTS Coupe before the GT-P was announced.

Ouside the train spotters most Falcon buyers have no idea about any new model until it is actually release and will just buy what is there as it is "the latest". Making the FG2 a supersceded model to all the "normal" people is, I believe, not such a good idea.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #120
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Ouside the train spotters most Falcon buyers have no idea about any new model until it is actually release and will just buy what is there as it is "the latest". Making the FG2 a supersceded model to all the "normal" people is, I believe, not such a good idea.
Yeah I agree - most people will hold out for the new model if they know its just around the corner. I was thinking the same with the Commodore being revealed 4 months early - they're going to have to do crazy deals on the VE until then. Now Ford are talking 6 months. But I guess with sales already so low, they figure its better to build confidence in the Falcon brand sticking around at the expense of a percentage of what are very small sales numbers anyway.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post