Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #91
anto
Za Dom spremni

Default Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

Quote:
I drive our company BA Wagon, and our Ford Courier which are both rubbish, the courier doesn't even have power steering, and the indicators don't self cancel anymore, quality.

I driven an FG Falcon ute when I was at my previous employer, it was also average.
wow you've driven a BA wagon and courier , Also a ute!! hmm I guess that make you somewhat of an expert on the so called shortcoming of the FG then !!

Quote:
Before I bought my Focus I was looking at a Falcon ute, the salesman wanted $32,500 for the base model in 6sp manual, I talked around with other dealerships, none could get me a 6sp manual but offered me cheaper prices on a 6sp auto which I declined, because autos are cra
p.

really ? the 6 speed is crap is it? first Ive heard of it. Please enlighten us less informed people as to why that is.

Quote:
I recall and offer for about $26/7K drive away at the tiem for the 6sp auto, which was a good price, but really, what does that get you?

For the price, its fairly badly equipped
it gets you an auto for 26k,..you clearly didnt want a "rubbish" 6spd auto so whats the point ? What are you expecting for 26 grand, a rolls royce ?

... and errr, btw focus has a good seatbelts and ashtrays but the rest is rubbish !! I know because Ive driven one once as a loan car when my rubbish falcon was getting serviced by rubbish Ford...I also have been driven around a few more times in one, so I would know. oh yeah and its FWD.

Quote:
The only upside to them is that they ride good on crap roads, too bad the seating height is half way to the moon and the steering column doesn't adjust up enough to get in and out easily.
the only upside? hmm, they really must have done a number on me then because I keep buying them, or does that make me stupid ? oh no thats right,..what is it? blue tinted glasses...yeah thats it.

Quote:
If the Falcon was truely great, don't you think people could see past the Ford badge, we seem to blame everything on Ford's marketing, brand preferences, but everywhere you turn there is negative reviews

yes, marketing and bad reviews are a major problem...as are forums like this where certain people like to spread baseless negative comments.

Quote:
QUICK ITS A BIG CONSPIRACY AGAINT FORD! LIKE MITSUBISHI AUSTRALIA!

Time to take off the blue tinted glasses I think and accept it.
accept what ? we should all trade in our falcons on a focus....? buy a Honda, what !!

Quote:
If that "cool kids" post was directed at me, I guess that makes me the "cool kid" because I seem to be the one leading the charge against the Falcon?
thats exactly how I see it, go against the grain...its cool to be different right ?

Quote:
As much as I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, Honda, have a look at the Accord V6 Luxury, now that is a very nice piece of kit, and its built in Thailand
says you. Its a rubbish car,.... see I can do it too .

Quote:
Accord Euro Luxury is in XR6 price range, while being a different class, its interior and quality is streets ahead of the Falcon.
rubbish again !! You are comparing two cars you dont even own, driving one now and then , an expert it makes you not.

you are clearly have a bias against falcons for some reason, and thats fine ,...I get it. You like focus and Hondas,..again I get it. Personaly i cant stand focus and Honda....so what, does that make then rubbish ? you seem to be on some kind of one man crusade to convince everyone that falcon is no good ? Some of us actually like the way they drive, the seat height, that transmission, the interior and every other nonsensical nitpicking garbage that gets used a reason to denigrate, that is why we outlayed and bought one, as hard as that is to grasp it is as simple as that.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #92
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Are you alright there anto? You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #93
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone actually care what this ignorant blowhard says about cars ? If car knowledge were dynamite Clarkson would not have enough to mess up his hair .
Old 10-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #94
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Thats not a review its a comment at best...his not particularly wrong though.

Funny comments about Oz though, was in france last July and went go karting. DID NOT SIGN A SINGLE THING...nothing, rock up, pay and jump in.

Here you basically sign your life away to the devil.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #95
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Are you alright there anto? You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.
no chip, just tired of the know it alls.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #96
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I drive our company BA Wagon, and our Ford Courier which are both rubbish, the courier doesn't even have power steering, and the indicators don't self cancel anymore, quality.

I driven an FG Falcon ute when I was at my previous employer, it was also average.

Before I bought my Focus I was looking at a Falcon ute, the salesman wanted $32,500 for the base model in 6sp manual, I talked around with other dealerships, none could get me a 6sp manual but offered me cheaper prices on a 6sp auto which I declined, because autos are crap.

I recall and offer for about $26/7K drive away at the tiem for the 6sp auto, which was a good price, but really, what does that get you?

For the price, its fairly badly equipped.

The only upside to them is that they ride good on crap roads, too bad the seating height is half way to the moon and the steering column doesn't adjust up enough to get in and out easily.

If the Falcon was truely great, don't you think people could see past the Ford badge, we seem to blame everything on Ford's marketing, brand preferences, but everywhere you turn there is negative reviews, so we say that they're paid by Holden, really? QUICK ITS A BIG CONSPIRACY AGAINT FORD! LIKE MITSUBISHI AUSTRALIA!

If that "cool kids" post was directed at me, I guess that makes me the "cool kid" because I seem to be the one leading the charge against the Falcon?

As much as I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, Honda, have a look at the Accord V6 Luxury, now that is a very nice piece of kit, and its built in Thailand.

Accord Euro Luxury is in XR6 price range, while being a different class, its interior and quality is streets ahead of the Falcon.
The only thing the Focus has on the Falcon is better finish, other than the fact that it`s a small car it handles like a small car. The Focus is not a large car so shouldn`t be comparing the way it handles to the falcon.

My you have driven alot of falcons , Theres so much wrong with them but all the falcons that I see on the road seem to be coping quite well.

The 6 speed autos are crap? You need your head read. The Zf auto thats fitted in the BMW`s is crap, one of the best autos on the market and it`s crap.

You make me laugh. All I here is how good your Focus is an how good front wheel drive is when it`s half a car half the power and is only capable for half the job.

Been the passenger in a fully loaded focus and not the driver for 2 hours, it feels like you were in a sardine can.

I think you need to experience a few more cars, not these sheila buzz boxes.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #97
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Everywhere there are negative reviews..LOL

Damo you sound like a typical gen Y sook. There is a section on the site for focus dribbling (not many people there I know), the focus has nothing to do with this thread.

If your a single guy then the focus makes sense and can be compared to the falcon sure...so can a motorbike actually, have you seen how poxy the stickers are on them, talk about bogan!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #98
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

Before I bought my Focus I was looking at a Falcon ute, the salesman wanted $32,500 for the base model in 6sp manual, I talked around with other dealerships, none could get me a 6sp manual but offered me cheaper prices on a 6sp auto which I declined, because autos are crap.

For the price, its fairly badly equipped.

If the Falcon was truely great, don't you think people could see past the Ford badge, we seem to blame everything on Ford's marketing, brand preferences, but everywhere you turn there is negative reviews, so we say that they're paid by Holden, really? QUICK ITS A BIG CONSPIRACY AGAINT FORD! LIKE MITSUBISHI AUSTRALIA!

I take it you don't like the Falcon, Damo?

I am the first to admit the quality is not great at all. The Japanese and even the Koreans are miles ahead in fit and finish over Aussie manufacturers.

But Falcon has always been a great car to drive. In what way is the BA rubbish?? How many models have you actually driven?? I have driven a few BAs and they are great driving cars. The FG is by far one of the best cars I have ever driven. In what way are they badly equipped? And saying that the 6 speed is crap.... clearly not a thought out comment...
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #99
freaky

The issue I found with my BF F6 and the ZF was not the gearbox itself but the actual implementation. FAIL. No throttle blips on downshifts, while other manufacturers using the same gearbox had this implemented.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #100
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

it was all in god fun. funny as.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #101
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

If you read his books, his style is always like this story(not review) always with toungue planted firmly in cheek.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #102
ray38l

People take things way to serious.
If he read the reaction his 'review' got here he would be ****ing himself laughing.
Although the falcon does need a lower seat. I feel like im riding a horse when driving them. If they fixed that i would buy one.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #103
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are so quick to bash Clarkson … Clarkson is no longer a standard car magazine reviewer who first lists you all the technical aspects of the car (factually) and then goes into a detailed description of how the car drives and so forth …

Clarkson is an entertainer, full stop. His show is all about entertaining the common folk while using cars as a general topic of conversation … Clarkson has earner his reputation by saying bad things/ funny things/ controversial things … albeit overstretching much of it at times but none the less it is what his show is all about … I know many people who know nothing about cars and generally have little interest for them yet they LOVE watching Top Gear.

Part of Top Gears English entertainment aspect is to bash anything that’s English but not from England (i.e. American, Canadian, Australian, South African, and so forth). If people can’t see that and take his words personally then you have issues and should probably start watching Neighbours or something along these lines …
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #104
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
If you read his books, his style is always like this story(not review) always with toungue planted firmly in cheek.
Exactly, honestly some people need to take a spoonful of cement with their fruit loops....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #105
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I have been dreaming of this moment for some time. Thing is. The money grabbing Times of the UK won't let me access it without registering and paying a pound. How shoddy is that?

And part of the terms and conditions for registering is no copying and pasting, and or linking to it. And you know how the poms take their terms and conditions. Normally I wouldn't have mind paying the pound if I could share it with all of you chaps. But now it will be just for me. So I'm not going ahead with it for now.

Scroll down until you see FPV Boss 335 GT.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...eremyclarkson/
It's certainly not a review of any sort , but tounge in cheek or not he is right , the suspension needs some work over and saving 3k didn't help make it corner
If the builders were serious coil overs and bars should have been much more important than waffling around corners and going hard in the straights , there are a lot of used cars which would rip it a new one and drive away though the roundbouts.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #106
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Exactly, honestly some people need to take a spoonful of cement with their fruit loops....
This.

Honestly, I've never seen so many sooky-la-las in my life. It's Clarkson, FFS.
His role is the loud, boorish alpha male and he plays that role to the hilt. He goes out of his way to be controversial. This is why he has so many fans (and detractors).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #107
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Dont forget this is the same idiot that thinks hes Hillarious and also thinks
that the crappadore is the greatest thing to come out of Australia

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #108
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
wow you've driven a BA wagon and courier , Also a ute!! hmm I guess that make you somewhat of an expert on the so called shortcoming of the FG then !!

p.

really ? the 6 speed is crap is it? first Ive heard of it. Please enlighten us less informed people as to why that is.

it gets you an auto for 26k,..you clearly didnt want a "rubbish" 6spd auto so whats the point ? What are you expecting for 26 grand, a rolls royce ?

... and errr, btw focus has a good seatbelts and ashtrays but the rest is rubbish !! I know because Ive driven one once as a loan car when my rubbish falcon was getting serviced by rubbish Ford...I also have been driven around a few more times in one, so I would know. oh yeah and its FWD.

the only upside? hmm, they really must have done a number on me then because I keep buying them, or does that make me stupid ? oh no thats right,..what is it? blue tinted glasses...yeah thats it.

yes, marketing and bad reviews are a major problem...as are forums like this where certain people like to spread baseless negative comments.

accept what ? we should all trade in our falcons on a focus....? buy a Honda, what !!

thats exactly how I see it, go against the grain...its cool to be different right ?

says you. Its a rubbish car,.... see I can do it too .

rubbish again !! You are comparing two cars you dont even own, driving one now and then , an expert it makes you not.

you are clearly have a bias against falcons for some reason, and thats fine ,...I get it. You like focus and Hondas,..again I get it. Personaly i cant stand focus and Honda....so what, does that make then rubbish ? you seem to be on some kind of one man crusade to convince everyone that falcon is no good ? Some of us actually like the way they drive, the seat height, that transmission, the interior and every other nonsensical nitpicking garbage that gets used a reason to denigrate, that is why we outlayed and bought one, as hard as that is to grasp it is as simple as that.
- Yes, well that means I've spent time actually inside the Falcon, in the drivers seat, driving. Which the interior is a heap of crap, plastic dash, stereo sucks, monochrome screen, only 6 radio presets, steering column adjustment is basically nill up and down, seating position is too high, no auto up/down window even at least on drivers side, no heated mirrors (Fiesta has this), rear window winders rather than electric windows on base model and a few other things that annoy me.

- Yes, all autos are crap, always in the wrong gear at the wrong time is my major concern and basically zero engine braking, its supposed to do all the changing itself so bloody kick down a gear or two when going down a freakin hill when my foot is off the accelerator. I don't give a crap if its a "ZF" and BMW use it, give me a clutch pedal any day of the week and I'll do my own gear changing thanks.

- $26K got me my TDCI Focus, which is streets ahead in interior quality (which isn't even as good as the cheaper Fiesta, WS anyways) but its still better than the Falcon's poor excuse.

- Oh no, FWD, you can't do your poor one-legger fully sick burnouts to impess your mates. Thats the only reason people buy RWD cars, you can't say handling advantage because the Falcon is a barge, the Dawn Princess handles better than a Falcon. Guess what? When I drive, theres a max of two people in the car including me! The Focus fits us in fine with plenty of room to spare.

- That probably makes you in the minority then, because there ain't too many people buying Falcons anymore!

- Two cars I don't even own? Well I used to work at Honda, so I spent 5 days a week around Accord Euros and Accord V6 Luxury's and the rest of the Honda car range, servicing and driving them a lot more than you obviously have so I think that means I know a tad bit more about Honda and their products than you do.

Hey at least I don't get cut up when someone pays out on my Focus, what car did you have when you where 19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Everywhere there are negative reviews..LOL

Damo you sound like a typical gen Y sook. There is a section on the site for focus dribbling (not many people there I know), the focus has nothing to do with this thread.

If your a single guy then the focus makes sense and can be compared to the falcon sure...so can a motorbike actually, have you seen how poxy the stickers are on them, talk about bogan!
I like to mix it up a bit, jump in here, get the discussion happening, I'm doing quite well, no?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #109
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The quality of this thread leaves a lot to be desired, lift your post with some real substance, sick of reading the same old banter or the thread will be closed.

Stay on the topic which is Clarksons thoughts on the GT 335.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #110
BlueOvalPrint

Take a deep breath people, and have a look at these extracts from Clarkson’s Wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson

“Whilst Clarkson states… views in his columns and in public appearances, his public persona does not necessarily represent his personal views, as he acknowledged whilst interviewing Alastair Campbell saying "I don't believe what I write, any more than you (Alastair Campbell) believe what you say"[42]

“In response to the reactions he gets, Clarkson has stated "I enjoy this back and forth, it makes the world go round but it is just opinion"[31] and "I don't have any influence over what people do, I really don't. It makes no difference what I say. Top Gear is just fluff. It's just entertainment - people don't listen to me."[57] On the opinion that his views are influential enough to topple car companies, he has argued that he has proof that he has had no influence. "When I said that the Ford Orion was the worst car ever it went on to become a best-selling car."[31]

Clarkson is a stirrer, an oaf, and very entertaining. Nothing more, nothing less. I love Top Gear but I wouldn’t ever make a purchasing decision based on anything that any of them say…
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #111
bmorris

People need to remember the types of cars he is used to driving. Much more $$$ then anything FPV has to offer. So you can't expect him to rave about how good it is, because in the end, he reviews a lot better cars worth a lot more money. So just remember to read it for what it is.

When we are fine to pay $200,000-300,000 for a FPV (or a falcon) we can expect a better review
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #112
Falcman0o7
Banned

He is a knob. Stick with your euros ya winging pom.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #113
DaveTE
Back in black

I found it entertaining about the Australian Culture but it's no review.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #114
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorris
People need to remember the types of cars he is used to driving. Much more $$$ then anything FPV has to offer. So you can't expect him to rave about how good it is, because in the end, he reviews a lot better cars worth a lot more money. So just remember to read it for what it is.

When we are fine to pay $200,000-300,000 for a FPV (or a falcon) we can expect a better review
Exactly. The euros (IMO) are in a different league to our brutish aussie forced V8 and when clarkson can thrash the hell out of any car at any price, he always finds something negative to say about them. But who really cares? His opinion means didley squat to me. He complained about the i-drive in a BMW but to me it's brilliant! And un-affordable.... But he does have a point that is re-iterated with the journos, the falcon chassis is no match for the perfomance. Get to work Ford!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #115
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I don't think it's anything for people to get all het up about - it's an English paper, and they don't have Falcon in the UK, a few finishing paragraphs about the GT, but the majority was in fact about our animals and our way of life...and come on...look at the platypus...it really is someone's bad joke...poor little bugger...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #116
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I agree with Big Damo, give me a bloody manual gearbox (and clutch) over an autobox any day.
I hate autos, the only reason I put up with them is because its harder to find a manual Falcon or Commodore than it is to find Osama Bin Laden - it could take you decades

I don't understand why somebody would buy a performance car with an automatic gearbox - it takes away a large part of the driving experience IMO.

I've owned two manual cars (both 4 bangers) and two auto cars, so I'm not just speaking out my behind here.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #117
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
I don't understand why somebody would buy a performance car with an automatic gearbox - it takes away a large part of the driving experience IMO.
If you are after straight out performance, its impossible to go past a dual clutch box like the Evo, GT-R, Ferrari etc all run now.

If you are after the 'driving experience', or the auto option is a torque converter auto, then yeah, a proper Manual would be the way to go for performance.

It really depends what you want out of the car, but I bet a Dual Clutch box can shift quicker then any manual gearbox would be shifted consistantly, and it'll do it everytime and never miss a gear.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #118
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
If you are after straight out performance, its impossible to go past a dual clutch box like the Evo, GT-R, Ferrari etc all run now.

If you are after the 'driving experience', or the auto option is a torque converter auto, then yeah, a proper Manual would be the way to go for performance.

It really depends what you want out of the car, but I bet a Dual Clutch box can shift quicker then any manual gearbox would be shifted consistantly, and it'll do it everytime and never miss a gear.
I should have clarified, I meant for pure driving experience I would have a manual gearbox everytime.

I could care less how clever the auto is, I prefer to be in control 100%
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #119
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
I agree with Big Damo, give me a bloody manual gearbox (and clutch) over an autobox any day.
I hate autos, the only reason I put up with them is because its harder to find a manual Falcon or Commodore than it is to find Osama Bin Laden - it could take you decades

I've owned two manual cars (both 4 bangers) and two auto cars, so I'm not just speaking out my behind here.
I like manuals, and in a performance car, some would argue it's important...in a car that goes 0-100 in 5 seconds...the auto is in a league of it's own...I don't know anyone who can change gears that fast on a standard floor shift.

Let's face it, the auto has come a long way, and the manual has had very little R&D done. I'm not saying anyone is wrong in their opinion...far from it, just another side of the coin...

Granted, I think it may have changed his (Clarkson's) opinion if it did have a manual in it, as opposed to the auto, the article may have been slightly more favourable. In his usual dry manner of course.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #120
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
My car never sees a track - it also spends upwards of 6+ hours a day in Sydney traffic. That driving experience starts to get old real fast.
Closed Thread