Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #91
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Bah. Darn cats. Was going for the doggies tonight even though I dont support them. Looking forward to when the cats go back down the ladder.
Same here! I want all the people that jumped on the Geelong Bandwagon to all turn around and say "I don't really care, i don't really follow the footy!" hehehe!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #92
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Geelong had a number of their best missing from that game, Ablett and Ling I think, and they still won, so I don't see the Hawks beating them, not unless Buddy kicks 10+ which is unlikely. Stop Buddy from kicking any more than 5 and the Hawks can't win, they rely on him too much.

the depth of the geelong side is such that the players that step up when they have a few regulars out do the job just as well. the commentators made the point during the game that even though they had 6 of the regulars out including ling and ablett, they couldn't see it making a huge difference with them back in.

never say never. no one would've expected the doggies to put up the kind of fight they did last night and had they kicked straight and had a few calls go their way it could so easily have been a different story.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #93
FordSteve
Starter Motor

Not really an AFL fan, but do like to watch a good hyped up contest

Thought Geelong were awesome last night. The dogs stuck it to them for the good part of the game or so, but Geelong prevailed quite easily in the end. Mark of a true champion side.

Geelong will be very hard to beat in the GF
FordSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #94
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon the hawks would be a litlte nervous.
saints have won 6 out the last 7 games against the hawks and also won the last time they played earlier on this season. i think captain cry baby (riewoldt) kicked 6 in that game.
the hawks defence i believe is their weakest link due to the size of captain cry baby & koshitske. combined with croad having an injury (if he plays), makes me think the saints might be a chance.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the depth of the geelong side is such that the players that step up when they have a few regulars out do the job just as well. the commentators made the point during the game that even though they had 6 of the regulars out including ling and ablett, they couldn't see it making a huge difference with them back in.
So having some of your best players out means the team is still just as good. Ok then. Either way the Hawks will be mince meat. They soley rely on one player to win.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #96
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8
Same here! I want all the people that jumped on the Geelong Bandwagon to all turn around and say "I don't really care, i don't really follow the footy!" hehehe!
I've been a Cats supporter since I started Primary School, wrote 90% of the Geelong Football Club history on Wikipedia, have Mark Bairstow, Paul Couch, and 50 million Gary Ablett posters on my wall still to this day, and have been through thick and thin, and I will say that the number of new guernseys being sold to "new" supporters is infuriating, because there people were nowhere to be seen years ago when the club was playing like poo.

But why punish those who are loyal?

I met a "Geelong supporter" earlier this year. He said, "I go for Geelong since they won the flag last year."

I told them to F-Off, because Geelong doesn't want people like that.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #97
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I've been a Cats supporter since I started Primary School, wrote 90% of the Geelong Football Club history on Wikipedia, have Mark Bairstow, Paul Couch, and 50 million Gary Ablett posters on my wall still to this day, and have been through thick and thin, and I will say that the number of new guernseys being sold to "new" supporters is infuriating, because there people were nowhere to be seen years ago when the club was playing like poo.

I met a "Geelong supporter" earlier this year. He said, "I go for Geelong since they won the flag last year."

Totally agree man. I've lived through all the pain of 4 grand final losses and up until about round 5 last year, it could have been another 44 years that had passed and I wouldn't have been surprised if the cats still hadn't won a flag. But that wouldn't have changed the passion and love I have for that club.

In a couple of years Geelong will be on the slide a bit, some new teams will emerge, and the so called "parity" of the draft system will start kicking in just like the AFL have been trying to make happen since the inception of the draft system. When those days come, I will be there flying my colours and cheering my chants - albeit with a little less pain and emptyness. These are the golden years my friend, lets just enjoy them while they last....
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #98
FordSteve
Starter Motor

I dont think the club minds bandwagoners jumping onboard,

Afterall thats just one of the bonuses of being successfull (extra $$, through merchandise the gate etc....)
FordSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #99
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

On my first day at school I was wearing the blue and white hoops.

I've been to 4 losing GF's and I've been a member for 20 + years. These are indeed golden years.

Go Cats...................Back to back !!! :
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #100
prydey
Rob

getting very ugly for st kilda! buddy only has 1 and yet they are still up by close on 10 goals.

bit hard to gauge though as the opposition didn't really arrive by the look of things. not sure where st kilda are but they haven't really turned up tonight.

hodge should sit the rest of the game out to make sure he is ok for next week. they need him.
Old 20-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #101
Thornie
Off smelting

woah looking like it's gonna be a clash of late 80's early 90's with hawks and geelong.Sad to say but geelong i think are gonna kick the old hawks butt.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #102
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Goo Geeeeeeeeeelonggggggggggggggggg
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #103
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSteve
I dont think the club minds bandwagoners jumping onboard,

Afterall thats just one of the bonuses of being successfull (extra $$, through merchandise the gate etc....)
I will say that the clubs don't mind...Collingwood has done exceptionally well since experiencing on-field success....they came out of the woodwork like termites....

Richmond had about 3 supporters turning up to their matches in the early 90s (Save Our Skins) and when the club started to win matches in 1994, the club came alive again (and moreso in 1995).

But I'm a supporter, and I'm part of a collective whole. The behaviour of others affects how I am viewed, and there are two ways to insult me...

Call me a poof (no, I'm not homophobic), or call me a bandwagon Cats supporter...

We all have a capacity to be aresholes, retards, morons and pure-blood pricks (take it from me), but loyalty is a thing that takes real character, especially when your team is down, and there are many "diehard supporters" who disappear when that happens.

Hawthorn is a real chance next week. Don't kid yourselves.
If both teams play at their best, Geelong will win by no more than 5 goals.
BUT chances are that won't happen. Geelong may play well below their best, and Hawthorn well below to varying degrees...

At least we got the Grand Final we want...

It shows the current system finals system works, as the past two years has been the best two teams play off in the Grand Final, even if Port were a weak second last year.

Best wishes to both teams.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 20-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #104
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
getting very ugly for st kilda! buddy only has 1 and yet they are still up by close on 10 goals.

bit hard to gauge though as the opposition didn't really arrive by the look of things. not sure where st kilda are but they haven't really turned up tonight.

hodge should sit the rest of the game out to make sure he is ok for next week. they need him.
St Kilda were nothing but pretenders, smashed by both Geelong and Hawthorn. They really were more of a bottom 8 side than a genuine threat, they only got to the top 4 by shear luck in the last round when all the others dropped the ball. This year there has only really been 2 sides who were any good, and maybe the doggies earlier in the year before they lost the plot and faded. Must be the most predictable grand final line ups for a long time, everyone was saying it was going to be Geelong/Hawthorn months ago.

Go the Catters.
Old 21-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #105
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

although i hated them last night - up the pussies
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #106
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
although i hated them last night - up the pussies
With what? :P

Don't snap my undies.
Old 21-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #107
gtxb67

Quote:
With what? :P
to win of course - what are you thinking of? :P
Old 21-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #108
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Just got home from the footy, I'm so excited about the grand final next week! Ive been a Hawthorn member for 18 years ( since i was 3 ) and its the only thing about footy that i haven't been able to see so far.. Hawthorn basically used buddy as a "decoy" tonight which really did work rather well.. as well as shoved it up the critics asses that hawthorn rely on buddy dominating to win.

I predict a close one next week
pejamas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #109
prydey
Rob

they interviewed crawf after the game and he was genuinely emotional. i even thought he was going to get a bit teary. 17yrs for his first GF.

Funny how it works out sometimes that some of the best players in the afl could leave the game having never won a flag.
Old 21-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #110
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
they interviewed crawf after the game and he was genuinely emotional. i even thought he was going to get a bit teary. 17yrs for his first GF.

Funny how it works out sometimes that some of the best players in the afl could leave the game having never won a flag.
He will retire without a flag. :thebirds:
Old 21-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #111
prydey
Rob

Quote:
but he's not alone. buckley, harvey, richo, kouta etc etc. arguably not all 'great' players but just good players stuck in ordinary sides.
Old 21-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #112
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Koutoufides played in Carlton's 1995 Premiership team.

Also, 2008 is Crawford's 16th year...he debuted in 1993.

Having won last year's flag, I will be disappointed should we not win next week, but happy for people like Crawford who are pretty good blokes and deserving players, even if they are retards on The Footy Show.

Nobody in the modern era deserved a premiership more than Harvey, who has always played the game fairly, been a good player, and been a great role model to all on and off the field (take note Fevola - you can be a good player and not be a tool!).

Don't snap my undies.
Old 21-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #113
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes i agree

i only watched the last 3 1/4 s of geelongs game an got the inpresion that they played with the dogs the whole night

from what i saw geelong leading then the dogs got to within 12 points geelong just opened it up and kept it that way for a bit then let the dogs get back in the 12 point range and then play it out only to win the game easily

i think geelong played the game tight to get the tough game feeling being no team has given them a really good scare for 99.9% of the season

just my 2c worth on this

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #114
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
i only watched the last 3 1/4 s of geelongs game an got the inpresion that they played with the dogs the whole night

from what i saw geelong leading then the dogs got to within 12 points geelong just opened it up and kept it that way for a bit then let the dogs get back in the 12 point range and then play it out only to win the game easily
i did not see the game, but believed this would happen. i thought we were the only team that might be able to beat geelong in the finals, but if we were to have any chance, we needed to get to within 2 goals late in the last quarter, not the third. i was happy at half time being 21 points down, because to beat geelong you will need to surprise them and get ahead with around 1-2 minutes left. if you get close or ahead before then, they will just step up a gear

overall i am happy with my puppies. from round 17 through to the qualifying final i was annoyed and disinterested, but we showed some character in the 2nd week of the finals (our first night final win, from 7 attempts) by beating a side with finals, grand final and premiership experience. the effort against geelong was pleasing except the fact we did not score a goal in the last term - and our last six scoring shots were points. at least we can take something from the season, which realistically would not have been possible with a straight sets departure in the finals

obviously, back in march, if we were given the chance of third after the season and finals, we would have taken it with no questions asked
Old 21-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #115
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i did not see the game, but believed this would happen. i thought we were the only team that might be able to beat geelong in the finals, but if we were to have any chance, we needed to get to within 2 goals late in the last quarter, not the third. i was happy at half time being 21 points down, because to beat geelong you will need to surprise them and get ahead with around 1-2 minutes left. if you get close or ahead before then, they will just step up a gear

overall i am happy with my puppies. from round 17 through to the qualifying final i was annoyed and disinterested, but we showed some character in the 2nd week of the finals (our first night final win, from 7 attempts) by beating a side with finals, grand final and premiership experience. the effort against geelong was pleasing except the fact we did not score a goal in the last term - and our last six scoring shots were points. at least we can take something from the season, which realistically would not have been possible with a straight sets departure in the finals

obviously, back in march, if we were given the chance of third after the season and finals, we would have taken it with no questions asked

the dogs are a good team and done a great job to get where they did

they done a better job than my team of preference the pies

i have all respect of any team that gets here regardless i think that any team to get there is the best teams for the said season

saying that i will be backing geelong this coming game mainly that i live in geelong but i think they are the real deal again this yr

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #116
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Koutoufides played in Carlton's 1995 Premiership team.

Also, 2008 is Crawford's 16th year...he debuted in 1993.

Having won last year's flag, I will be disappointed should we not win next week, but happy for people like Crawford who are pretty good blokes and deserving players, even if they are retards on The Footy Show.

Nobody in the modern era deserved a premiership more than Harvey, who has always played the game fairly, been a good player, and been a great role model to all on and off the field (take note Fevola - you can be a good player and not be a tool!).

oh well, you get my drift though. i'm no afl supporter. just watch it from time to time so my knowledge is simple at best. i said 17yrs for crawf because thats what he said in his post match interview.
Old 21-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #117
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough

But Crawford has been around for a bloody long time...I think of all the current players, he may have been around almost the longest, along with Scott West.

Harvey played in three decades of football...magnificent achievement considering he played entirely in the 90s and almost this entire decade.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 21-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #118
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will say that the clubs don't mind...Collingwood has done exceptionally well since experiencing on-field success....they came out of the woodwork like termites....

Aaaand im going to have to pull you up there.

Even when the pies are losing, they still pull a crowd.....Can't really say that of too many other teams(Carlton, Essendon aside...to a lesser extent).

For a Cats fan to accuse Pies fans of Bandwagon-isim is goddamn hilarious... We may have no teeth, but we stick by our team.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #119
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

It is Crawfs 17th year. They said it on footy classified last night that he was recruited in '92, just after the Hawks won the '91 GF. This may well be Crawfs last crack at a Grand Final, even if the Hawks make it next year and he decided to play on. He's got at best 1 year left in him, and who knows if he could even make it that far.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #120
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the dog's could have kicked straight it could have been a real close contest. I thought the dogs did well, but just missed too many opportunities.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post