Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #91
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The ratings that Holden have chosen to compare are from the greenvehicleguide.gov.au website. The figures are correct for XT with 5spd which is the base spec.

Ford FG Falcon XT, 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 5 speed Sedan, 5 seats, 2WD

Petrol 91RON

10.5 L/100

251g/km CO2

Ford FG Falcon XT, 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed, Sedan, 5 seats, 2WD

Petrol 91RON

9.9L/100

236g/km CO2
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #92
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

I remember buying a VZ and the 175kw figures were definately on 98 fuel.. so I doubt GM have changed that habit now.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #93
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, you can't do that dave. How are they going to increase the size of the engine, bore or stroke? If bore, expect very minimal torque gains. If stroke, expect torque gains. The I6 wins cos of it's long stroke.
Please read my last post.

Regards,
Dave
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #94
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
I remember buying a VZ and the 175kw figures were definately on 98 fuel.. so I doubt GM have changed that habit now.
IIRC, only the V8s had performance figures quoted using 98RON.

(Just confirmed by referring to VZ/VE Commodore brochures)

Regards,
Dave
Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #95
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

I know they quoted 172kw in the engines from 06 onwards. and that was on 91fuel.. but I am sure the 04 model that we had was 175 on 98 fuel.. unless their own doco on the side of the car was wrong at the time and we bought it off the floor.

Will have to look this up of course ! :-)
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #96
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
I know they quoted 172kw in the engines from 06 onwards. and that was on 91fuel.. but I am sure the 04 model that we had was 175 on 98 fuel.. unless their own doco on the side of the car was wrong at the time and we bought it off the floor.

Will have to look this up of course ! :-)

Euro 3 update lost 3kw.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #97
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Holden is claiming that the 3.0 V6 will acheive around 8.4L/100km on the highway, Is that at 100 or 110km/h? bit of a let down if it is, as a mate (tweeds_xt) went from Brisbane to Sydney averaging 5.5L/100km in a stock 4 spd BA XT. Although, the 3.6L VE is claimed to acheive 8.2L/100km on the highway.
Forced Performance Tuned

Last edited by SLO AU XR8; 05-08-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added Info, better then another post
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #98
Kaan
Mercury XR6

I am wondering how much holden is paying for their engineers . Looks like they are pretty lazy
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #99
MGR

Fixed.
MGR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #100
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
http://www.caradvice.com.au/37419/ho...nes-same-look/

hmmm, the two comparisons are a bit misleading. Last time I checked the Xt produced only 236g/km and 9.9l/100. Even with the 5 speed its 239g/km and 10.1l/100.

This looks more like the result of a drag race to me
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #101
prydey
Rob

i haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if i repeat anything.
in todays advertiser they had a bit of an article on this (it is holden country over here) and they mention the fact that it does melb - syd on 1 tank of fuel. they then mention they have just completed that in real life and achieved... wait for it... 7.5L/100km for the trip! then they commented how that was better than a lot of 4cyl cars.

i guess they bank on the majority of people not really knowing too much about cars. my old ba wagon ave 8 from bris - adel without even trying.

i guess they have to market the car but comparing it to other brands already before there is any real trend of real world figures is a bit presumtuous.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #102
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if i repeat anything.
in todays advertiser they had a bit of an article on this (it is holden country over here) and they mention the fact that it does melb - syd on 1 tank of fuel. they then mention they have just completed that in real life and achieved... wait for it... 7.5L/100km for the trip! then they commented how that was better than a lot of 4cyl cars.

i guess they bank on the majority of people not really knowing too much about cars. my old ba wagon ave 8 from bris - adel without even trying.

i guess they have to market the car but comparing it to other brands already before there is any real trend of real world figures is a bit presumtuous.
Matt on here has done Melb to Sydney in a G6E Turbo on one tank too.. Matty where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #103
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR

Fixed.
That makes more sense. Graphs can be so very manipulated as Holden have done here. By not having an intial starting number for the bars it looks like Commy halves the economy and CO2 of Falc. Hence greater brainwashing potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
This looks more like the result of a drag race to me.
Classic!
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #104
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
This looks more like the result of a drag race to me
GOLD!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #105
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

You just watch their sales go through the roof.
They are very clever at advertising doesn't matter if it's true or only half true it is exactly what the potential buyers want to see............cheap to run
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #106
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Matt on here has done Melb to Sydney in a G6E Turbo on one tank too.. Matty where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've done it in my EF (with a 4 Speed Auto), and in an X5. It isn't as hard as Holden make it out to be.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #107
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I've done it in my EF (with a 4 Speed Auto), and in an X5. It isn't as hard as Holden make it out to be.
Yeah it all depends on how you drive and when. I did 8s all the time in my old EF Gli on the highway...and that was often in regional QLD in 110 zones. I was not mucking around either if you know what i mean.

Not really bothered to measure too closely in my EF XR but it does roughly the same. Maybe a shade more on the open road, but i think it probably does less around town.

Everyone should brace themselves now.....not just for the holden advetising onslaught but the inevitable Holden fans appraoching you to crowe about how great the alloytec is. plus the unsuspecting car-adverse general public which are amazed at the fuel efficienty of a 3.0 commodore.

I noted buried in a Goauto article that the head of the engineering on this 3.0 noted that while it was down on paper RE torque etc., it would 'match the performance' of the current base engine combo and 'atcually drives better' re driveability. You think? LOL! Even if it does match it (and its an IF) it would have to go a hell of alot better to get within Cooee of Falcon/Aurion. Every time a manufacturer releases new engines it will go on about better response, faster, quieter etc. etc. Oh and it burns less too. As usual Holden is very quiet on the details so we shall see.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #108
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Personally, i'm champing at the bit to drive one. If it goes as well as it should and it chews as little fuel as they claim, i'd even consider owning one.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #109
BrisVegas
Noobie

It's a shame Ford won't have the 2.0T 4cyl out at the same time to compete against this. Holden will have 12-18 months of free kicks before Ford comes to market with their fuel miser. If the Falcon launched 2010 models with the 4cyl, diesel and LI LPG they would give the GM mob a touch up.

EDIT - yes I know they aren't putting the diesel in Falcon, but they should!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #110
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ford should try and release the 2ltr Falcon alot sooner, its got more power than the 3ltr commy and uses less fuel, so with the right marketing should sell like hot cakes!!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #111
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, the ONLY reason why I WOULDN'T own a new SIDI Commodore is because they, at this point in time, cannot be converted to run on LPG.

Regards,
Dave
Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #112
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I highly doubt owners will get anywhere near the economy figures in the real world. The 3 litre will be a slug.

In the real world i'd expect a 6 speed auto XT to have near identical economy, without having to have its ring revved out to keep up with traffic.

Its funny the Holden engineer saying performance will be similar to the last model. So it will be the slowest car in the class still
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #113
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quite right old son. I have had a VY and VZ work cars, and i tell you, i had absolute overtaking confidence in the VY (ecotec) but had zero overtaking confidence in the VZ (alloytec). Anything before 3900rpm and you ain't moving. Where as by the time i hit 3900rpm in the ecotec, the competition was just seeing a pair of taillights off in the distance!
try it in a manual with no torque multiplication
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #114
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
Personally, the ONLY reason why I WOULDN'T own a new SIDI Commodore is because they, at this point in time, cannot be converted to run on LPG.
Yeah i'm glad you said at this point in time, cos that's what they said about EFI cars too.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #115
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I highly doubt owners will get anywhere near the economy figures in the real world. The 3 litre will be a slug.

In the real world i'd expect a 6 speed auto XT to have near identical economy, without having to have its ring revved out to keep up with traffic.

Its funny the Holden engineer saying performance will be similar to the last model. So it will be the slowest car in the class still

Real world?? Id expect that those figures would be different for every person who is on this forum!

Highly doubt the 3.0 litre will be a slug - it's hooked to a 6 speed so I'm sure it will be geared to get along quite nicely.

The 3.0 litre is not for performance it's economy and will no doubt will do it's intended job.

Holden having the 3.6 litre gives them a marketing advantage - from XT to G6 it's the same 4.0 litre Falcon and for performance you can get the I6T but then Holden has it's 6.0 litre V8 to counter the I6T.

To me the Turbo 4 can't come quick enough for Ford.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #116
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah i'm glad you said at this point in time, cos that's what they said about EFI cars too.
Prins has a direct injection LPG system available in Europe. It is a vapour system and is not available in Australia yet because nobody (right now) drives cars with direct petrol injection engines!!

Regards,
Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #117
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

What about all of Volkswagens engine including the 3.6 VR6 engine? And the Direct injected 1.4 TSI that you know I will be getting shortly lol.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #118
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Prins has a direct injection LPG system available in Europe. It is a vapour system and is not available in Australia yet because nobody (right now) drives cars with direct petrol injection engines!!

Regards,
Dave
Any Mazda 3 or 6 MPS has direct injection and turbo charging, unless some bugger from Ford has been under the bonnet of my 6 and taken the engine out. ;)
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #119
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

Regards,
Dave

I've a got a six year old car out the back I bought from new, that has direct engine.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #120
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow! The 3.0 will be at least as confidence inspiring as the current 3.6 (if not less so). Nice to know a 4.1 xc will out torque and out tow a new commodore.

Max power at 6700rpm. Should be pretty economical to rev it that high. Wonder if it will sound any better than today's 3.6
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post