Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #91
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
I'm not sure if Holden still do the variable power steering (they used too on Calais/Statesman), which is what reduces the load on the wheel at low speeds. Check out the specs at Redbook.
Err I thought that was pretty standard kit on new cars these days? My Mazda 3 has it... and its an econo box!
Old 22-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #92
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daily driver is VE Omega ute, with the H.O 195kw/6spd Manual Drivetrain..

It's an ok car, engine ok, sounds good from about 2500-5000rpm(twin pipes), doesnt pull as hard a a BA/BF I6, handles ok for a ute, a bit firm in the ride, gearbox shifts nicely, clutch feels totally dead and lifeless....

My XR6T does everything better(as you would hope/expect), and feels a little bit better put together...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 22-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #93
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Even with an inferior drivetrain Commodores routinely outsell the Falcon, so the uncompetitive product can't be all that bad. If Holden needs the new engine to be their 'saviour' then what chance does Ford have with the Falcon?

That's a far more worrying concern....
I wasn't talking about sales.....Holden certainly has done well with the commodore given in the base forms (the forms most people actually drive) it has major problems (hell it barely beat the BF when it came out).

But, Holden build many more cars at the plant than Ford, so they have to sell them. Ford pres. Osbourne recently noted that Holden had heavilly discounted the VE to blunt FG sales. Holden turned their backs on fleets when VE came out, but now seem more willing to do deals....as for private buyers, they had a 60th aniversary edition with tonnes of kit for $36 k drive away...that is ALOT below their usual sale price. Yearly profits Ford Aus. v. Holden illustrate what i mean.

Either way, i was talking about objective views on the issue, as in quality of the car itself, not sales. I agree Ford need to have more effective marketing to get more private sales, because if a person drove a FG G6 versus a VE Berlina only a one eyed holden fan or a fool would tell you the drivetrain in the VE was even approaching equal. You can debate sales, and all round worth of commodore vs. falcon ad nauseum, what can't be debated is the Commie base drivetrain aint within cooee of a falcon....FACT. The fact so many people (even those who have driven both) think otherwise shows the huge 'free kick' Holden gets in this country because it is 'australian'. Which it isnt! :
Old 22-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #94
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
I drove a VE SSV on the weekend, I was considering trading my two cars in on it and use it as a daily. HOLDENS DO NOT GO BETTER, the 6.0 litre which I expected to have loads more down load torque than my 4 speed BOSS motor was slower down low and had to be pushed hard for the gearbox to kick down and rev its tits off
Easy fix, get a manual SSV. The auto is shocking!

As for the V6, I wouldn't bother at all. :
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 22-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #95
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I used to have an ex taxi EF Falcon. It had 770,000 on the clock. It was more enjoyable than the VY that work handed over to me. In fact, the ex taxi become my weekend car. Admittedly, I did put a 185kW V8/5sp manual in it. Heaps more fun.
Old 22-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #96
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this seems to be the direction of this thread

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 22-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #97
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
this seems to be the direction of this thread
LOL!!!!! Great graphic to describe my input into this discussion. Getting back on topic, Falc'man your example is one of many i assume. I can't think of too many VS commies of the same age and work load that would hold up like the old EF......

Oh wait, is that really staying on topic......
Old 22-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #98
djst
Starter Motor

We have had both the Commodore and Falcons as fleet vehicles at work.
The B series vehicles were definetly the more comfortable vehicle and the smoother vehicle to drive,especially over longer periods of time, The Falcon was a nicer place to be,but some of the employees prefered the Commodores generally due to a more firm handling suspension setup,compared to the Falcon.
Old 22-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #99
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Even with an inferior drivetrain Commodores routinely outsell the Falcon, so the uncompetitive product can't be all that bad. If Holden needs the new engine to be their 'saviour' then what chance does Ford have with the Falcon?

That's a far more worrying concern....
In all seriousness Chris, the Commodore still have been making a loss with the Commodore. Looking at Sales figures isn't the way to measure the success of the vehicle as if the car isn't making a profit then there is no point making the next model.

Yes I know the Falcon is losing money as well. I just hope that both cars start to turn a profit as I dont wanna see myself in a handbag in the next few years!!
Old 22-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #100
XAGSV8
Member 178

Oh come on. I may be a Ford man at heart but the VY is not as bad as some make out here. This thread is just a chance for people to over exaggerate faults in that model. There is certainly worse out there.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 22-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #101
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
Oh come on. I may be a Ford man at heart but the VY is not as bad as some make out here. This thread is just a chance for people to over exaggerate faults in that model. There is certainly worse out there.
Well there is the Magna...

your right, its probarly an overexaggeration, but seriously compared to its competitors the VZ was a dud!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #102
SSbaby
Banned

Reading between the lines... I can understand what the writer's viewpoints are. Both the Falcon and Commodore drive differently and are very different in personality. You can almost guess the GM car from the Ford, blindfolded.

I agree the Holden is perhaps less refined than the Ford, especially over time. Engine refinement, couple with better transmissions give the Ford the edge in NVH. The steering in the Ford also seems more direct and the suspension tends to soak the bumps with ease. The Holden, by comparison tends to hit the bumps more.

Having said that... having punted the Holden at high speed, they seem to go better the harder you push them. The only 'uncomfortable' feeling you get is not knowing exactly when the rear end will let go... but that's only a feeling you get after hopping out of the Ford. Once you adjust to the car's attitude, the Commodore's a fairly predicable handler and a reasonable steerer.

I'm glad they are different in character.
Old 23-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #103
BennyMac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Ive only got one driving style, thats hard... My intention was to put this car through its paces, to see what all the fuss was about.. I came back with no answers...
You took a V6 WAGON out to "put it through its paces" :
Wow you do have only one driving style and being "hard" i bet you gave that V6 a real "test" it just could not handle

Both The Ford and Holden range have their good and bad points. The BA/F XR6T is THE best 6 going around. The 5.7/6L and the 5.4L are about on par (STOCK).
Outside, well its a matter of opinion.
Inside, well thats where i went from buying a BF XR6 to a VZ SV8.
The BA/F is woeful inside. BUT each to their own....... :

Ben
Old 23-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #104
da_ilks

Just for some fun, I did some looking for some reviews

BA XT vs VY Exec

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2757433.aspx

BAII XR6 vs VZ SV6

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2466416.aspx

BF vs VE

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2279227.aspx

I don't disagree the Ford drivetrain is better, I just don't think the Commodores is as bad as people are making out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Well there is the Magna...
My Dad had a TJ Magna - It was better built then a Falcon/Commodore, had better fuel economy, and the ride was pretty good for a poverty pack family car. The Magna was a much better car then people gave it credit for, however, the sheer crapiness of the early ones killed it in this country as it could never shake it's poor image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
as I dont wanna see myself in a handbag in the next few years!!
XR6T ;)
Old 23-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #105
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

My Dad had a TJ Magna - It was better built then a Falcon/Commodore, had better fuel economy, and the ride was pretty good for a poverty pack family car. The Magna was a much better car then people gave it credit for, however, the sheer crapiness of the early ones killed it in this country as it could never shake it's poor image.

XR6T ;)
I agree with this....didn't the magna win wheels car of the year in 1997. I went in one in like 1999, and thought it was quite a nice car, smaller than a falcon, but quite nice. Ride was good, decent performance from the 6...didn't seem really good at handling, but not bad for a FWD large car. The 380 was a damn good drive for a FWD large car too.....

Mitsu reputation generally killed that car, because it wasn't bad in itself.
Old 23-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #106
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Reading between the lines... I can understand what the writer's viewpoints are. Both the Falcon and Commodore drive differently and are very different in personality. You can almost guess the GM car from the Ford, blindfolded.

I agree the Holden is perhaps less refined than the Ford, especially over time. Engine refinement, couple with better transmissions give the Ford the edge in NVH. The steering in the Ford also seems more direct and the suspension tends to soak the bumps with ease. The Holden, by comparison tends to hit the bumps more.

Having said that... having punted the Holden at high speed, they seem to go better the harder you push them. The only 'uncomfortable' feeling you get is not knowing exactly when the rear end will let go... but that's only a feeling you get after hopping out of the Ford. Once you adjust to the car's attitude, the Commodore's a fairly predicable handler and a reasonable steerer.

I'm glad they are different in character.
I agree though I rather a Falcon at high speed as Commodores feel very light and wobbly off the clock.

I have found that Commodores feel like they are going to slide going around corners while Falcons feel like they are going to roll off it.

Commodores steering is direct but innacurate while Falcons have a bit of slack but are much more accurate.

Most importantly thanks to the combination of shorter gearing, hard suspension and hard steering the Commodore FEELS faster while the Falcon generally feels more cruisy while being no slower.

You can punt a Falcon sideways one handed while the Commo generally needs two hands on the wheel.
Old 23-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #107
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyMac
Wow you do have only one driving style and being "hard" i bet you gave that V6 a real "test" it just could not handle

Both The Ford and Holden range have their good and bad points. The BA/F XR6T is THE best 6 going around. The 5.7/6L and the 5.4L are about on par (STOCK).

Ben
I could probably understand someone going from a bf 6 to a ve 8.but not from a bf to a vz.shocking styling on the vz both front and back.when the vz was released they refered to it as the magnadore because the rear styling was so similiar to the magna.and the front end styling is so dated and boring it is behond a joke.I think my opinion is more fact than opinion.
Old 23-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #108
JC260

Quote:

Ben
LOL!
Are you serious? Do you even have the senses of sight and feel?!
The VZ is an absolute disgrace when it comes to the interior, it looks gawdy and feels like its made from dead daewoo's and written off hyundai's.
My parents 97 pulsar feels better made.

And in what way is the BA/F woeful exactly?

It is well built (its not perfect, but compared to the commo? pfft : ), its well laid out, plenty of room, intuitive to use and looks good!
And thats just the BA Mk1, it only got better from there.

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

THE NEW-FAMILY SPEC ZD ESCAPE...
Old 23-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #109
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i think the holden got better standard equipment for the same price.
What??? Like Air Cond????
Old 23-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #110
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

We have a VY wagon as a family car (i hate the rear of the AU to BF Wagons) and it is a good car, its got 145,000 kays on it, i drive a EL Ghia with 280,000 kays on it, the EL goes better, doesnt rattle or use any oil like the Commodore, but i love I6 Fords and maybe i'm a bit biased
Old 23-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #111
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with v6 Holdens that a Reynard chasssis won't fix.
Old 23-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #112
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:

Ben
Are you serious ?

I have owned both a BA and VY at the same time, and the BA interior killed the VY/VZ interior, the Ford switch gear is miles ahead of the Holden, like multi adjustable heater fan, the stereo and heater control interface, better cruise control set up, classier looking instruments, interior door handles that dont feel like you are going to pull the whole door trim off, and the list goes on......
Old 23-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #113
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Are you serious ?

I have owned both a BA and VY at the same time, and the BA interior killed the VY/VZ interior, the Ford switch gear is miles ahead of the Holden, like multi adjustable heater fan, the stereo and heater control interface, better cruise control set up, classier looking instruments, interior door handles that dont feel like you are going to pull the whole door trim off, and the list goes on......
The holden commodore interior aint a strong suit that is for sure. Everything is there and it works, but they are mot very user friendly (though Falcon aint perfect) but most importantly plastic quality is woeful in some models. VZ was so far outdated towards the end even holden fans admit it was a disgrace. Hell the VE interior has dodgier plastics in some places than a BF...FG takes another step again. I certainly can't see how anyone, including those without sight (who have a very powerful sense of touch at that!) can make the statement that a BA/BF interior is woeful and a VZ one is nice....

That is beyond me.
Old 23-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #114
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
Opinions are like Ar$eholes , everybody has one, but nobody wants to hear them. Dont you guys get tired of holden bashing threads?
Perhaps you should go have a squizz on the holden forums...i'm sure they have got some nice things to say about our beloved fords

BTW.this isn't holden bashing,we are simply stating how average these y/z series models are...holdens are a decent car,just a shame about their transmissions,+1 for the chev motors over the ford v8 motors(except for the sound),ever since the introduction of the gen3,holden has had the wood on ford.

just my opinion,as we all have one and have a right too it : .

cheers josh
Old 23-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #115
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Yeah mate, im a member there too, but they aren't half as one eyed as this lot.
Old 23-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #116
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Yeah mate, im a member there too, but they aren't half as one eyed as this lot.

Maybe you should move there permanently then!
Old 23-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #117
Shounak

The Holden haters here seem to far outweigh the Ford haters at the other forums. No I don't think that's at all reflective of the cars.

Old 23-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #118
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Maybe you should move there permanently then!
I Would, but get this, i like Holdens AND Fords....
Old 23-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #119
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think there are just more active members here full stop. with more members comes more 'bad eggs' as well as more of the opposite the heavily biased ones would easily be attracted to a thread with a name like this one, yes we have biased members here, but so do the other Forums.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #120
Shounak

Quote:
I Would, but get this, i like Holdens AND Fords....
NOOOOO. Witch. Burn him.

Closed Thread