Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Chevy Commodore Vs FPV Falcon Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6 View Post

NOTE: For the record, i am not against a SS/SSV being badges with chevy badges. It has a chev engine, so what. I do find the SV6 with chev badges rather odd considering it has an Australian built motor (99% sure of the SV6 motor being oz designed, may be wrong...)
The V6 is, just like the LS V8, a GM designed engine. Holden just assemble it here from imported blocks and heads.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the other side of the argument, i have older died in the wool Holden mates
who take great offense at the practice of swapping Holden badgesfor Chevrolet Bowties
The Holden badge is sacred to these guys and swapping Bowtie is seen as a devaluation of local achievement.

Fortunately for our favorite brand, a Ford is a Ford is a Ford....Unless it's FPV or Lincoln or Mercury (LOL)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #93
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

Pretty sure they were badged as Pontiac's. I know someone that bought one new and pretty certain it came with Pontiac badges

You got it right....Commodores made for export were badged as Pontiac G8's.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #94
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Click on your name on the top right then on "view warnings" and you will see what it is for.

Only you and mods/admins can see either the red warning indicator or your actual warnings.

I click on it and it says I don't have permission to access this information.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #95
jackson105

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
What about FPV badges on the BA/BF FPV cars?? They are FPV's but came with the standard ford badge off the factory showroom.
As I said that is how they all should be

2006 Ford ZC Escape XLT

2009 FPV GS Build # 105 in Ego
jackson105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #96
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
For those era cars you mentioned was not chev badges but chev decals on rear windows is what I remember, the chev badges seem to appear from the VN's onwards.
there were many monaros and toranas with bowties on their grilles
they have been around for years and to begin with, some were fitted because the car had a chev engine
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #97
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF tail lights on a BA....where does line get drawn?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #98
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the perspective of other road users and pedestrians who see you drive your Chev badged Commodore, as a guess I'd say:

20% of people think its cool
20% of people don't care
60% of people think you're a douche bag.

I'm sure the drivers of these cars realise this also, don't they?

Whereas leave the Holden badges and:

90% of people don't care
10% of people will still think you're a douche... It's still a commodore.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #99
tex
Broken

I cant stand badge boganism on any car. Addition of any badge that the car wasn't bought with, swapping over stock badges for badges from cars that owners would rather own, it's all got major amounts of wrong. A public fail imo.

But then I have to admit that Ive added a 'supercharged' badge to the dash speer of my car.... oh dear..... I don't really need to remind myself that the cars blown, don't think any passengers have ever thought it's not blown, so maybe it's my own effort to release my inner bogan in a more discreet way. So it's a private fail.

Now Im too scared to try to remove the bloody thing as it will no doubt destroy the speer!

Would I ever swap the FORD badges on my BF GT? NO! It's a FORD first, FPV second.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #100
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go! I have a single FPV badge on the back of my XR8 to replace the falcon MK11 badge! I have the oridginal boot & wing still if it needs to back to standard though, But just remember that the first letter of my engine no. start with FPV! & I also have a FPV gt rear wing, I didn`t try to make it a mockup GT I just like the look of the wing I didn`t want the same wing as every XR6 & XR8 & Fairmont running around out there! So I`d have to say that someone who owns a commodore with a chevy in it is ok & I`m the last person who would defend a Holden! It`s called styling & just remember also that half your cars would not look like they do if it wasnt for customising!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #101
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I cant stand badge boganism on any car. Addition of any badge that the car wasn't bought with, swapping over stock badges for badges from cars that owners would rather own, it's all got major amounts of wrong. A public fail imo.

But then I have to admit that Ive added a 'supercharged' badge to the dash speer of my car.... oh dear..... I don't really need to remind myself that the cars blown, don't think any passengers have ever thought it's not blown, so maybe it's my own effort to release my inner bogan in a more discreet way. So it's a private fail.

Now Im too scared to try to remove the bloody thing as it will no doubt destroy the speer!

Would I ever swap the FORD badges on my BF GT? NO! It's a FORD first, FPV second.
Tex, your car is probably more aftermarket now than actual Ford

FPV_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #102
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post

For once Tex, I would have to agree with you here. Your "supercharged" badge is not calling it something that it aint. Its a pretty major enhancement which likely warrants some sort of acknowledgement on the car. I too have a supercharged Badge on my car and dont apologise for it. The only reason I would take it off is not to invite police attention to the car.

I also have FPV wheels on my car which come with the FPV logo on it. The car does not have any other FPV badges except the wheels which are FPV designs.

I think badges are a minor felony its those who put GT kits on I6s or HSV kits on V6s which boil my blood.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #103
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm kinda the opposite of many here, I'd more likely buy a turbo car and remove the turbo badge.

I'd also prefer an XT that goes like a F6, than an F6 look alike that goes like an XT
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #104
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
I think badges are a minor felony its those who put GT kits on I6s or HSV kits on V6s which boil my blood.
Wow, you seriously need to get out more. There are loads more issues in this world that should make your blood boil before a bodykit on a car does.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #105
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
there were many monaros and toranas with bowties on their grilles
they have been around for years and to begin with, some were fitted because the car had a chev engine
I grew up in that era owning holdens and never seen the bow ties on them, seen a few different chevy badges & decals.
I'd sure love to see a few pics if there were some.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #106
Chopped
as in chopped

I remember seeing various Kingswoods, Statesmans, Monaros and Toranas with Chev badges on them. Most would have had a 350 chev slotted into them though.

It is more prevalent these days though.

Last edited by Chopped; 05-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #107
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all them old rides with chevy badges generally had a 350 chevy dumped in the engine bay. If there was a chevy V8 in the commodores i wouldnt mind. people can say that holden sent commodores too south africa or where ever it was that where rebadged as chevrolet luminas. but there never was a chevrolet commodore or a chevrolet commodore built in australia so they should at least get the badging right. I can understand different badges when doing up replicas etc but the way there badged does not make any sense. its just as bad as the laser i seen with a corolla badge
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #108
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I reckon the best way to solve the problem is, don't remove or replace a single badge/wing/spoiler/wheel from the car...Leave it as it came from the factory...Saves whinging and whining about petty rubbish...

Someone wants to add a badge or something else to their car, leave them go....They're the ones looking at it every morning/noon/night....It's also their hard earned money being used as well. AIf they knicked it, I could understand the complaints..

Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #109
Scradley6666

I'm a ford boy through and through, but this looks

Better than this

'R' badge, SSV badge, GTS badge, AFM badge, all on the back... And don't start me on this...

Out with the old:
2006 BF XR8 Falcon - 240RWKW
Difilippo Headers, Magnaflow 200CPSI Cats, X-Force Quad Stainless Exhaust, BPR CAI, ZF 6 SPD, Tuned by CV Performance!

In with the new:
2009 FG XR6 Turbo Falcon - Stock as a rock (but not for long)
EGO Colour with premium audio and ZF 6 SPD

Last edited by Scradley6666; 05-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Scradley6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #110
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I hate people that put Chev badges on their Commodores. It's a Pontiac! (exported as - hence you see people with 'Pontiac' front ends)
The worst I have seen is a ' VE Chev GTS SV6'. Couldnt get a photo as the owner came back.
I don't like FPV badges on Falcons either. I replaced my 'Ford' badges with 'XR', as that is what I have. I would like an XR8 bulge, but as I don't have an 8 under the bonnet, I won't get one. I don't like trying to 'show off a car that is not what it is'

My 2c

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #111
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
I hate people that put Chev badges on their Commodores. It's a Pontiac! (exported as - hence you see people with 'Pontiac' front ends)

My 2c
Can't put Pontiac on the new model Commodores anymore....Pontiac was shut up with the GFC....So what would be acceptable when the new model is released?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #112
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
I remember seeing various Kingswoods, Statesmans, Monaros and Toranas with Chev badges on them. Most would have had a 350 chev slotted into them though.

It is more prevalent these days though.
Back then it actually meant something though...there were Holden V8 engines (like the sweet spinning little 253 in our WB Ute), and then there were the ones either factory or aftermarket that had a Chev donk dropped in them. These, quite rightly, were identified (sometimes by the factory in a discrete way like on the "crossed flags" GTS badge which had a tiny half-hidden bow tie on one side) as having "something Chev about them".

Now it's pointless...the engines aren't Chev engines...at best they're based on a Chev engine. Seeing as how all V8 Commodores have the same engine, what's the point?

Ford is probably pretty lucky that they're all Fords more or less.

When we had our VX series 2 Lumina, I was sorely tempted to put a set of Buick badges front and back...they were round, the same diameter as the Holden lion badge, and were nicely enamelled with the "three shields" Buick logo.
Hey, it would have made as much sense as the Chev badges, because the Holden V6 was based on the Buick engines...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #113
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Back then it actually meant something though...there were Holden V8 engines (like the sweet spinning little 253 in our WB Ute), and then there were the ones either factory or aftermarket that had a Chev donk dropped in them. These, quite rightly, were identified (sometimes by the factory in a discrete way like on the "crossed flags" GTS badge which had a tiny half-hidden bow tie on one side) as having "something Chev about them".

Now it's pointless...the engines aren't Chev engines...at best they're based on a Chev engine. Seeing as how all V8 Commodores have the same engine, what's the point?

Ford is probably pretty lucky that they're all Fords more or less.

When we had our VX series 2 Lumina, I was sorely tempted to put a set of Buick badges front and back...they were round, the same diameter as the Holden lion badge, and were nicely enamelled with the "three shields" Buick logo.
Hey, it would have made as much sense as the Chev badges, because the Holden V6 was based on the Buick engines...
The Holden brougham (HK HT HG) with the chev 307 had the 5 litre badge of the cross flags on the guards.
When the 308 & 253 introduced by holden they also had the cross flags.
only on the models HK HT HG
Reference link to holden badges.....http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Badges
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #114
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
Can't put Pontiac on the new model Commodores anymore....Pontiac was shut up with the GFC....So what would be acceptable when the new model is released?
Didn't know that.
Well, keep the Holden badge on it then.

Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #115
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
The Holden brougham (HK HT HG) with the chev 307 had the 5 litre badge of the cross flags on the guards.
When the 308 & 253 introduced by holden they also had the cross flags.
only on the models HK HT HG
Reference link to holden badges.....http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Badges
That is a very incomplete list of holden badges and there were no 307 HGs, the changeover was early HT. I owned a 307 HT back in the 70s which always drew attention when it was serviced as they were very rare compared to 253/308.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #116
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
The worst I have seen is a ' VE Chev GTS SV6'. Couldnt get a photo as the owner came back.
I don't like FPV badges on Falcons either. I replaced my 'Ford' badges with 'XR', as that is what I have. I would like an XR8 bulge, but as I don't have an 8 under the bonnet, I won't get one. I don't like trying to 'show off a car that is not what it is'

My 2c

I dont have one myself but im all for the buldge on non 8 cars. It looks the goods and if the rear is vented (iv seen people cut out a small slit on the back of the buldge) then even better!

I see the buldge as people paying hommage to it rather than try and replicate it. Its not a badge, its a statement. Having the buldge just brings a totally different present around the car and iv never heard of anyone turning around and calling a bloke a ****** for having the xr8 buldge on his car.

Even the Charger buldge looks awesome on the FG, and its functional aswell to boot!

The issue would arise if a person then went and put xr8 badges on the car with the buldge.... That is a big no no in cool car land..
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #117
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Irrespective of brand, a car with no badges/names on it looks best.

Clean bodywork is the only way to go, especially at the rear.

And I agree with Mike - fast/tough cars with no badges, removed wings and removed plastic bodykits look way tougher than a blinged up version...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #118
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6 View Post
I dont have one myself but im all for the buldge on non 8 cars. It looks the goods and if the rear is vented (iv seen people cut out a small slit on the back of the buldge) then even better!

I see the buldge as people paying hommage to it rather than try and replicate it. Its not a badge, its a statement. Having the buldge just brings a totally different present around the car and iv never heard of anyone turning around and calling a bloke a ****** for having the xr8 buldge on his car.

Even the Charger buldge looks awesome on the FG, and its functional aswell to boot!

The issue would arise if a person then went and put xr8 badges on the car with the buldge.... That is a big no no in cool car land..
I do agree with you, it does look amazing. When I was looking for my car, I sat behind the wheel of a BA XR8 (never got to drive it of course), and the bulge looked awesome. I would like one, but IF I did, it would be when I have the power to go with it

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #119
WPR1

Do what ever you like it's your car.

For me I have a nitro XR6, love the colour of the car but didn't like the different blue of the Ford badge against the nitro. I personally didn't want to change the badges to FPV as it isn't an FPV so I also changed to XR badges in the same style as the FPV ones. Now the blues don't clash!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #120
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

these threads are so funny - everyone hates something, but no one can agree on what it is exactly that they hate
chev badges on commode dores - okay because they are chev motors, not okay because they are not chev motors
bonnet humps on non v8 falcons - okay because they are paying homage, not okay because it is like sticking socks down the front of your pants
fpv badges on ford fpv's - okay because it is an fpv - not okay because it is pretending to be an fpv fpv and not a ford fpv

geez, if people are going to hate, hate everything, not just what suits you - doing what makes you happy is not what this whole world is about, it is only about impressing others

i am not going to wear my xb gt coupe t-shirt anymore because i was actually trying to fool people into thinking i had one - obviously i was, because why else would i wear it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote