Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #1351
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken
Got up and washed the panels on the roof today.

Used a soft brush broom and a bucket of suds followed by a good rinse.

Yesterday, I insulated the garage roller door - what a difference!

how did you insulate the roller door??

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #1352
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A roll of underfloor insulation foil from bunnings, some insulation tape, scissors, a few curse words and about 2 hours.

Well worth it.

usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #1353
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Install finally booked for the end of November. Just got our first power bill as well for our new place. A little surprised as it was only $300 so the 5kw might be a bit over kill.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #1354
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Install finally booked for the end of November. Just got our first power bill as well for our new place. A little surprised as it was only $300 so the 5kw might be a bit over kill.
all depends on the feed in tariff.....you may need the extra generation to compensate for a lower price yield factor

and if you generate a profit then I see no harm in that

10.02 kilowatt generated today (cloudy/sultry) $0.20c in front though

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 31-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1355
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

44c + another 8c i think from the energy co
The Work Truck

Old 31-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #1356
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats not too bad given you should expect around the 6 hours average daylight hours x $0.52c FIT should give you around the $15.60 per day minus usage of course

you'll lose and gain depending on the year and the weather but you should be fine

all the best with it....keep us up to date

Old 31-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #1357
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
its been mentioned on here a few times that the old type meters don't like spinning backwards for long periods of time. they will eventually start playing up apparently, possibly spinning forward faster than they should etc.
That's ok, when the spa kicks in the disc goes the correct way, well correct for the electricity authority.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #1358
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was that 300 for the quarter. if so I would have killed for that size bill. Probably 1982 the last time I had one that size.
I think my FIT is similar to yours but I have a 6kw system with 5kw inverter so this may be worth a read to you, my story this page http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...356379&page=30 . Post 1190. I am on Goldy.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #1359
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
No James, 5kW is not overkill - buy the biggest you can reasonably afford and run with it. You'll be saving coin in the long run. Electricity will never come down in price. The only way is up!

Quote:
44c + another 8c i think from the energy co
THIS ONLY APPLIES TO QLD: I'm not sure about the rebate you're quoting here - depends whether you got your approval for installation before the 10th of July '12. I got my system fitted in April, and get a 44c feed in tariff + 8c from AGL, and some other QLD government subsidy which I can't fathom where it comes from.

I refer to the following link for reference: http://www.cleanenergy.qld.gov.au/de...gn=redirection

Sorry if I'm raining on you James - just trying to point you to what I've learned.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1360
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

PS I have a desrepancy between what the inverter says its producing on a daily basis and what the meter says ive produced. (Aurora3.6) (edmi atlas mk10)

The last couple days the inverter says I've produced 16kws but when I check the meter it's suggests I've produced 18kws.

Anyone else experiencing similar results?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1361
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty
No James, 5kW is not overkill - buy the biggest you can reasonably afford and run with it. You'll be saving coin in the long run. Electricity will never come down in price. The only way is up!

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO QLD: I'm not sure about the rebate you're quoting here - depends whether you got your approval for installation before the 10th of July '12. I got my system fitted in April, and get a 44c feed in tariff + 8c from AGL, and some other QLD government subsidy which I can't fathom where it comes from.

I refer to the following link for reference: http://www.cleanenergy.qld.gov.au/de...gn=redirection

Sorry if I'm raining on you James - just trying to point you to what I've learned.

Cheers!
No worries man, thanks for the input. I got in before the deadline which was the reason behind jumping in the deep end. I just asked for something to run aircon and be future proof. Wasn't until I had handed over my deposit that I realised its a biggish system. I didnt really understand the FIT and how it applied but we knew we would be doing solar at some point so made sense to jump in whilst it was higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Was that 300 for the quarter. if so I would have killed for that size bill. Probably 1982 the last time I had one that size.
I think my FIT is similar to yours but I have a 6kw system with 5kw inverter so this may be worth a read to you, my story this page http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...356379&page=30 . Post 1190. I am on Goldy.
lol yeah $300 for the quarter, actually a little under. We have not paid a power bill in 5yrs due to it being included in our rent. Now in our own place we have been really watching the power usage. Maybe a bit **** but we didn't want to get a shock on our first bill.
Thanks for the heads up on your story, hopefully I will be able to share similar successes shortly.
The Work Truck

Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #1362
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
PS I have a desrepancy between what the inverter says its producing on a daily basis and what the meter says ive produced. (Aurora3.6) (edmi atlas mk10)

The last couple days the inverter says I've produced 16kws but when I check the meter it's suggests I've produced 18kws.

The inverter shows how much power your panels have generated.
Your meter shows how much power you've imported from and exported to the grid.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #1363
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy

that is to be expected I guess......either one or the other is incorrect.....my money is on your house meter

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it's in your favour

Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #1364
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
that is what i was wondering

our inverter says we have made 220 kw
our meter says we have made 167 kw
our meter says we have used 105 kw

i assume this means we have made 220 kw and used 53 kw of our own power
and that we have imported 105 kw that we will pay for
and exported 167 kw that we will receive the infeed tariff for

it making sense to me, because by adding the 53 and 105 together that pretty much equals our previous daily usage
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #1365
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Yes gtxb67 - you nailed it!

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #1366
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Yes gtxb67 - you nailed it!

Cheers!
thanx

from my calculations after 17 days we are owed $27.62

we should be charged $24.15 for the power we have imported
we should be getting $51.77 for the power we have exported

we would have been paying $28.86 for the usage before solar
so we have saved $56.48 in 17 days

if the weather stays as it is (and of course it won't), then we should be saving $1,100+ each year
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1367
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Thumbs up Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post

from my calculations after 17 days we are owed $27.62

we should be charged $24.15 for the power we have imported
we should be getting $51.77 for the power we have exported

we would have been paying $28.86 for the usage before solar
so we have saved $56.48 in 17 days

if the weather stays as it is (and of course it won't), then we should be saving $1,100+ each year
I see you got in before govco slashed the tariffs then.
You'll be even happier when you get your "non" bill for the 1st full quarter running solar.

I got mine last week: $465.10 credit, that pays off 1/8th of my initial outlay. (QLD: 52c feed in tariff)

What is the saying "Gotta make hay while the sun's shining".

Cheers!

2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #1368
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80 View Post
Here's your solution.....

Find an electrician to put a two way switch on just the lighting circuits of your house.

Position A is lights powered from the grid
Position B is lights powered from your standalone inverter
Position C all off from both sources.

Not hard at all mate.

I wouldn't do that. I'm pretty sure that isn't going to be legal. though happy to be proven wrong.

I would like to install stand alone at our place with a bypass switch for mains power where required. depending on the size of the system though.

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #1369
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
labor costs are part of warranty.

i bought a car from mt gambier. it needed a repair under warranty. obviously i don't need to take the car back to the dealer, i just took it 5 mins down the road to the ford dealer, they fixed it, and invoiced the car dealer.

same with most warranties. you make a claim, they organise someone for you to contact, or someone to come around and you don't pay.
It should come down to the manufacturers. Not the installer. With a lot of warranties, sure the part will be replaced but you will pay the labour to do it. for examplethis scenario. Skip through the compare stuff of the two fans.

A lot of customers will expect the installer to repair items under warranty. But the installer doesn't give a manufacturers warranty, the manufacturer does. We give a 5 year warranty on workmanship for example (if it's going to last 5 years it will last until the materials break down) but the materials warranty is covered by the manufacturer. which is why it PAYS to buy quality materials.

It's a bit of a mine field though.

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #1370
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I see you got in before govco slashed the tariffs then.
yeah, we just got in
we had been in contact with true value for the end of august, but were a little scared off with their reputation (although the only person i actually know who has used them, was happy)
i rang origin for an alternate quote and they mentioned the tariff being cut. they couldn't guarantee having everything done before the end of september, and offered to refund the deposit if they couldn't do it. true value just sent an email saying it was still great value on the .08 cent tariff. i indirectly know of someone who signed up with them in june and has only just had it installed and therefore missed the .31 cent tariff. it is harsh for them because they are pensioners
we ended up going with a local electrician who had done our next door neighbour's on 2 occasions. we stressed the infeed tariff was important and they were fitted within a week or 2 of the order. we only ordered on the 5th or 6th of september, so he did a great job for us
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #1371
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post

I understand what your saying but I would have expected the inverter to show more power produced than the meter says ive exported not the other way around.

Anyway I will follow with interest. I've only had the system connected a week but I've found I'm already addicted to following the performance.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #1372
prydey
Rob

Quote:
we had been in contact with true value for the end of august, but were a little scared off with their reputation (although the only person i actually know who has used them, was happy)
well i went with true value solar, and so far i'm happy so now you can double that statistic

i was a bit daunted by the negativity online but decided to take the chance anyway.

and nice edit on your earlier post. i was about to question your maths
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1373
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, we just got in
i rang origin for an alternate quote and they mentioned the tariff being cut. they couldn't guarantee having everything done before the end of september, and offered to refund the deposit if they couldn't do it. true value just sent an email saying it was still great value on the .08 cent tariff. i indirectly know of someone who signed up with them in june and has only just had it installed and therefore missed the .31 cent tariff. it is harsh for them because they are pensioners
we ended up going with a local electrician who had done our next door neighbour's on 2 occasions. we stressed the infeed tariff was important and they were fitted within a week or 2 of the order. we only ordered on the 5th or 6th of september, so he did a great job for us

yep you did the right thing all the way.......losing the subsidy, or part thereof, is small chips when or if you lose the FIT.....way better to go "long term" and get the better FIT

Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #1374
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
I understand what your saying but I would have expected the inverter to show more power produced than the meter says ive exported not the other way around.

Anyway I will follow with interest. I've only had the system connected a week but I've found I'm already addicted to following the performance.

you are correct, the inverter will always show higher production than export as the household "uses" direct from array on low draw

a bit will also "disappear" as it is soaked up by the inverter itself, it needs a certain amount to operate before it will actually export

close scrutiny of the system over time will reveal a few other "oddities" as well

I have 12 months of data now that is often scrutinised by a lot of folks

Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #1375
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
yep you did the right thing all the way.......losing the subsidy, or part thereof, is small chips when or if you lose the FIT.....way better to go "long term" and get the better FIT
i am sure we got the subsidy

the guy who fitted it was the same price as true value, but without pretending to throw in a couple of panels for free
he and true value were $1000 cheaper than origin

but we certainly signed something for the subsidy
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #1376
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i am sure we got the subsidy

the guy who fitted it was the same price as true value, but without pretending to throw in a couple of panels for free
he and true value were $1000 cheaper than origin

but we certainly signed something for the subsidy
glad to hear you got both, well done!.....hopefully free or cheaper power from now on!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1377
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, we just got in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ1K4N
thanks seen u this morning u where turning onto leach i was going down tonkin drop ute off around 715ish
Retailers can still put through for the TFIT tariff. The meter needs to be configured by 31st of December to get the 25 cents in Vic. The reason for the September cut off is to give the betworks time to arrange Meyer installs. At work I am still putting requests through for the 25 cent buy back. But in next week or so the network will sto accepting these requests.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #1378
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

I alike gtxb67 initially got a quote from my electricity supplier - I thought I'd get looked after. They failed dismally. They quoted me $3000 for a 1.5kW system.

I instead got a 2.3kW system for $3600 - and that was by no means the cheapest. I just really liked that the fellow who owned the business came out to do the quote with a no BS approach.

I've had 2 faults since, have been able to contact the owner directly, and the fault sorted in under 3 working days. To be fair I don't know whether my energy supplier could've provided that sort of response - but I doubt it.

After sales service is another consideration when shelling out coin - you generally don't think of it at the time, but it sure hurts when it's not there!

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #1379
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

absolutely mate.....price can become a secondary affair if the sales staff has that "feel" about them

keep the ******** detector on high alert when looking into these high figure purchases

Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #1380
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else find their inverter doesn't switch over to a new day until 10am ish?

I'm not too concerned as it still increases kw/h - it's just that it adds to yesterday's total.

I just find it a bit strange. Especially when the inverter shuts down overnight
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post