Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #121
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Now, Gover will never say how superior the FG may be, will never say that Ford supports Australia a hell of a lot, and will never mention how Holden isn't exactly looking safe.

While some articles in Carsguide are okay, some of them just get on my nerves.
Holden cures cancer and assassinates Al Qaeda leader Osama Binladen with the VE Commodore!

Good news, kept many in jobs and continues an awesome engine! Screw Diesel, LPG for the win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #122
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
... I hope there are a lot of happy Geelong workers today.

Dan
Nope, some are ****ed off because instead of putting their hand up for the current separation package, wanted to wait two years for the bigger one, and now aren't getting a cent. Greed does funny things.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #123
PETE_XR6

"GoAuto understands the upgrade will focus on injection, calibration and exhaust, and company sources have confirmed the work will not involve moving to a direct injection system"

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257507000C2D46
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #124
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
Nope, some are ****ed off because instead of putting their hand up for the current separation package, wanted to wait two years for the bigger one, and now aren't getting a cent. Greed does funny things.
People were warned that packages in future years are not guaranteed, one guy has been there 38 years and was about to hand the form in and then decided to wait for the engine plant one because it might be worth more. Oh well.......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #125
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I too want to join in the praise, I might be just my one again!!!
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #126
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford announce extension to Geelong plant beyond 2010

Heard a few differing views so far as to whether it signals a Ford Australia on the way up or a bit of window dressing before the final curtain closes on local operations.

I'll take the 'glass half full' view and say that this is the turn-around that Ford Aus. has been looking for. My predictions, and they are predictions based on nothing other than pure here say:

- Ford will achieve EURO IV via the use of an alloy block (I'm sure they were playing around with one a while ago).

- Boss V8 will be around for 2010 at least, after that it may be replaced by the 2011 Mustang's 5.0Litre V8

- SVI E-gas six is definitely on the cards
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #127
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Maybe Ford could market it, the straight six or I6 as the "intelligent six" or "i6" with the emphasis on the small i for intelligent.

What I would really love to see is for Ford to adopt DI. This technology can add up to 15% power, 10% torque and improve economy by 8%. So it would be 225kW/425Nm & 9.3L/100km.

Fuel consumption could be further reduced with a smaller i6 to further reduce consumption. This would be a great thing for perception.

How about reducing the capacity by 15% to 3.4L. The new capacity could be because of a shorter stroke enabling a higher rev limit for power. The DI would still allow an easy 200kW & 380Nm. Yet offer consumption in the 8.5 to 9L / 100km region.

I would rather DI than an alloy block, but if they were to change the capacity then maybe they could got his route too.

The $21M to be spent by Ford might be matched by $63M of the Gov't money under the Green Car plan too.

PS Can the Geelong plant cast Iron and Alloy castings?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #128
Defiant

woohoo good news.

Great engine and keeps ford oz independent if Ford US if it gets dragged down by gm and chrysler.
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #129
Steve
torque is your friend

Here's an interesting quote from the article on carsales:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-review/3009506.aspx

Quote:
Although there's no room for sentiment in business, McAlary admits that the distress expressed by Falcon owners and enthusiasts at the news the Geelong plant would close had some influence on the company's management team opting to find an alternative.

"We have continued to get letters from customers who have loved the I6, who were devastated about the idea of it going away," says McAlary.

"So, it's been another factor that we took into account when we thought 'OK, is this the right thing to do?'

"One of the reasons we're doing it is because people have told us they want to do it.
Old 20-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #130
Bobman
Regulator

Fantastic news. Could not stop smiling when I heard it on 3aw this morning.

V6s are terrible motors. Long live the I6.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #131
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Here's an interesting quote from the article on carsales:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-review/3009506.aspx
I hope all the people who wrote to Ford expressing their dismay about loosing the I6 support Ford with their Wallets over the next few years...

Old 20-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #132
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I hope all the people who wrote to Ford expressing their dismay about loosing the I6 support Ford with their Wallets over the next few years...
No way Norm. They will be upgrading the EA to an AU.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #133
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Hang on, do I get this right, now it looks possible that we could have Australian built Fiestas soon, or is that purely conjecture and rumour.

If it were to happen, then we would be building Fiesta, Focus, Kuga?, Falcon, Territory.

Hate to be pessimestic, personally, I can't really see Ford building the Fiesta here over Thailand.
Old 20-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #134
mainyard

Bloody good news!

It would be good to see another capacity like a 3.5l or even 3.0l barra like old mate said up above by reducing the stroke, imagine the current engine being able to rev to 8000rpm!!

I can see alloy block and DI next, then possibly a smaller displacement tied with a small turbo.

Its looking good, always loved the motor.

Mainyard

Last edited by mainyard; 20-11-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wrong word
mainyard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #135
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
No way Norm. They will be upgrading the EA to an AU.
very true!!

Old 20-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #136
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Now go buy some new Falcon's etc !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #137
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Already hit him with an email regarding his "research"

He said a lot of things at the start of this week in an email to me that have just been dispelled today.

How embarrassing, clown :
Care to Share russell?

PM will do
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #138
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Great news. Regarding the currency issue - going back a couple of years who would have thought the AUD would reach 98 cents, and then 62 cents within such a short time. The strength of our economy vs the USA surely suggests it won't stay at 62 cents, we can't base decisions on today's rate.

The most interesting thing is whether there will be any export program to increase the engine volume? Not sure on that one, hopefully a diesel Falcon/Territory will help there.
outback ute here is a link that says an export program might be on the agenda
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/130...ia/#more-13034

It can only mean one, or all, of four things:

One, that Ford Australia’s I6 engine has a part to play in Ford’s global “One Ford” strategy. (It can’t be just a short term interim you’d have to think; money is too thin on the ground at the moment for that.)

Two, that it is going to be sold somewhere besides Australia (Middle East and North America would have to be on that list).

Three, the I6 has to ‘sit’ in something – for that, you would have to be thinking a larger rear-drive platform (so, that’s Falcon and/or Territory safe for the moment).

Four, with Ford US (and each of the US big three) struggling for development capital for new models there, Ford Australia might just have pulled a rabbit out of the hat for its American parent. Bon Voyage then, left-hook Falcon, for the land of apple-pie, silly hats and cheer leaders.

That’s our best guess for the moment. Wait five minutes and we might have another ‘best guess’. We live in strange and uncertain days.

Last edited by turboxf; 20-11-2008 at 10:08 PM.
turboxf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #139
Crazed

Best news Ive heard in a while in relation to the Aussie car industry.

But the most interesting thing was the snippet in one of the articles which stated that body panels will be made at Geelong for Focus AND Fiesta.....

Fiesta? Where has this come from, anyone else have any details. Are these just minor panels or is there the possibility of assembly in Australia?

Maybe the Green Car Fund is already starting to take affect....

P.s. Cannot get over how negative Drive.com.au is about anything to do with Aussie car manufacturing. They could of mentioned the excellent fuel economy, technology, NVH, power and torque figures of the I6, but instead they refer to it as a 'decades old engine' - give me a break.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #140
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Hang on, do I get this right, now it looks possible that we could have Australian built Fiestas soon, or is that purely conjecture and rumour.

If it were to happen, then we would be building Fiesta, Focus, Kuga?, Falcon, Territory.

Hate to be pessimestic, personally, I can't really see Ford building the Fiesta here over Thailand.
Fiesta will be built in thailand, some panels may be stamped localy.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #141
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
Agreed. They will use the new 55 tonne wide body press that they installed at Geelong earlier this year.

Retrotech thread
Old 20-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #142
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxf

One, that Ford Australia’s I6 engine has a part to play in Ford’s global “One Ford” strategy. (It can’t be just a short term interim you’d have to think; money is too thin on the ground at the moment for that.)

Two, that it is going to be sold somewhere besides Australia (Middle East and North America would have to be on that list).

Three, the I6 has to ‘sit’ in something – for that, you would have to be thinking a larger rear-drive platform (so, that’s Falcon and/or Territory safe for the moment).

Four, with Ford US (and each of the US big three) struggling for development capital for new models there, Ford Australia might just have pulled a rabbit out of the hat for its American parent. Bon Voyage then, left-hook Falcon, for the land of apple-pie, silly hats and cheer leaders.

That’s our best guess for the moment. Wait five minutes and we might have another ‘best guess’. We live in strange and uncertain days.
Number 4 is your winner (IMHO)

Lets face it the 4.0 is a fine engine with great acceptance in the market and much love from enthusiasts. So FoMoCo can spend a lot of money to adapt the V6 no one wants (remember those that don't car actually don't care. My wife love her Terirory and does not know what and I6 or a V6 is) or they can spend a little money and make the 4.0 meet the next round of emissions. No doubt the drop in the $A had something to do with it but right now it's batten down the hatches for the next 5 years and keeping the 4.0 does that.

The job of the Geelong guys engineers & production is to make it so good they have to export it. You have 2 years. Yes production is locked for 5, you have 2 to lock in an extension past that. Alloy block, make them force a change. Euro 5 & 6 are coming.
Old 20-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #143
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxf

I've long thought that the i6 would be a great engine for the F series trucks in the US. Heaps of torque and potential for better economy compared to the v6 or v8s currently offered by Ford US. The engine bay has enough room for it too!

NB Under the One Ford vision, 80% of Fords will have DI by 2012. Maybe this will be in that number but be by 2010! Alloy block would save another 30kg or another 2% in fuel too.

Retrotech thread
Old 20-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #144
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
Fiesta has only popped up in conversation this week. Geelong's press shop has had a lot of money poured into it in the last two years and it makes sense to start utilising the infrastructure available. You might find that Thailand will send chassis to Australia and all the major skin panels will be stamped here. It's all speculation at the moment. The major thing is that engine plant will still be open, the I6 is going to have some major money poured into it and we finally seem to have someone in charge with a bit of passion.
Old 20-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #145
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I've long thought that the i6 would be a great engine for the F series trucks in the US. Heaps of torque and potential for better economy compared to the v6 or v8s currently offered by Ford US. The engine bay has enough room for it too!
Brilliant Idea...
Old 20-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #146
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I would love to think that this is a possibility. Fingers crossed.
Old 20-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #147
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Number 4 is your winner (IMHO)

Lets face it the 4.0 is a fine engine with great acceptance in the market and much love from enthusiasts. So FoMoCo can spend a lot of money to adapt the V6 no one wants (remember those that don't car actually don't care. My wife love her Terirory and does not know what and I6 or a V6 is) or they can spend a little money and make the 4.0 meet the next round of emissions. No doubt the drop in the $A had something to do with it but right now it's batten down the hatches for the next 5 years and keeping the 4.0 does that.

The job of the Geelong guys engineers & production is to make it so good they have to export it. You have 2 years. Yes production is locked for 5, you have 2 to lock in an extension past that. Alloy block, make them force a change. Euro 5 & 6 are coming.
Spot on. Ford have said they want to be leaders worldwide from here on in for every segment they compete in when it comes to economy. DI and alloy blocks, reduced vehicle weights, DSG 6/7spd gearboxes are what is needed.

An alloy block with DI would be terrific. Also a i6 in the F series would have even in todays tough market the potential for 20,000 per month in the US.

Retrotech thread
Old 20-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #148
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
...we finally seem to have someone in charge with a bit of passion.
Perhaps premature but could we possibly be witnessing the second coming of one Mr G. Polites?

A home-grown lad made good, who is as passionate about Ford Oz as the people who drive them? Who, despite all the gloom takes on head office and convinces them that nothing they can import to this country from anywhere matches what we have and what we can do?

GP gave us Terry and BA.
Mr. Burella has given us Alloy i6 - could he pull off Exports?

No one does it like an Aussie at the helm. Long live Ford Oz!
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #149
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
No one does it like an Aussie at the helm. Long live Ford Oz!
People in the plant seem genuinely excited to have him in charge, Very well educated in the Oz Ford system and unlike the last two schmucks ( Osbourne might have been alright but we will never know? ) he has not been based in America all of his career. I really do hope he is the next Politie's, only time will tell.
Old 20-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #150
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much of the new $$$$ is from Govt?

The Govt would probably be more willing to throw dough at Ford to enhance a locally designed and built product than offer money to drop a seppo six in place.

Possible Govt Press Releases

Aussie jobs safe.
Outside suppliers safe.
Aussie Ingenuity Showcased
Govt supports local boys.
Develop a slightly more economical engine here and K.Rudd can spruke about his environmental prowess and that 21million is a small price to pay for a significant contribution to Australia's commitment to a cleaner globe.

Is this perhaps a situation where everybody wins?
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post