Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #121
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak

That's why MG Rover was moved to China. There's only so much protection you can give to an industry.
MG Rover wasn't moved to China, they were bought out by a Chinese company. They are still producing in the UK and China.
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #122
Shounak

Yep, that's what I meant. I should know because my parents both used to own new MG's. Now we've just got the ZT.

Pricks made us lose our new car warranty.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #123
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Don't care ? Obviously not, because you have no idea what goes on behind the front gates of those businesses. It's easy to rattle off numbers like $140,000 and make statements about 'efficiencies' or "lack there of".

Australian manufacturers innovate now, but don't let that get in the way of a good story. Innovation has had to happen in these plants, that's where the battle is ultimately going to be won or lost.

Design for manufacture, flexible cells, quick changeover, these are all part of Ford's manufacturing systems. Unfortunately the capital investment is so intensive in Automotive manufacturing business plans that fast & large changes across all systems is impossible - it is often linked to platform changes or new programs. Toyota and Holden have their systems that promote continuous improvement as does Ford.

FoA, for example, have one of the most lean and flexible stamping and assembly plants in the world. Visit the Broadmeadows Bodyshop. If that's not good enough, visit it when they add another platform (Focus) in a couple of years and tell me that they aren't innovative.

The Australian manufacturers are light years ahead of where they were 20 years ago both in cost and quality. This has been been driven by the reduction in Tariffs, no doubt, but to call the current plants inefficient and insinuating that they do not innovate is unfair.

Like I said earlier, "Get out into the real world" and learn something for yourself. If you did maybe you'd end up with something called business acumen.

BTW your international economics 'marks' mean "diddley squat" in the real world until you've earned your 'stripes'.

Start off doing some photo-copying then move onto doing a few "pie-charts" for your new boss for starters. Then again, I guess from reading your post above (about the value of your knowledge) you'll be moving straight on to running the OECD instead.
Just what makes you think that I haven't earned my stripes? What the hell does that even mean?

Have I worked a real full time job. Yes. Have I done real work in the private sector using my degree. Yes.

Seriously, if this was an essay I was writing, I'd have a list of references, a contention and fully structured arguments. As if I can be bothered doing that here.

Anyway, I think you need to think twice before making personal accusations. I don't know how you can make them without knowing a thing about my work/study history. If you knew a thing about where I've worked, you'd stop the baseless accusation immediately.

Btw, efficient is not the be all and end all. It's about having buyers for your products. That's all a company needs to do.

I think you need to read over my posts a little more carefully, then you might find out what I'm advocating.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #124
HUNTER8

Quote:
Yep, that's what I meant. I should know because my parents both used to own new MG's. Now we've just got the ZT.

Pricks made us lose our new car warranty.
So should the British government done something to protect it's car industry so you could keep your warranty?
Old 14-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #125
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
So should the British government done something to protect it's car industry so you could keep your warranty?
Yes. Then maybe my parents wouldn't have had to pay $250 for the thermostat and $750 or something for the fuel pump module.

Not to mention the $2500 or so for changing the suspension on one wheel.

Maybe that's why they went bust? Who cares.
Old 14-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #126
HUNTER8

Quote:
Yes. Then maybe my parents wouldn't have had to pay $250 for the thermostat and $750 or something for the fuel pump module.

Not to mention the $2500 or so for changing the suspension on one wheel.

Maybe that's why they went bust? Who cares.
So let me get this right..........
British government should have protected it's inefficient car industry so you could keep your warranty, but Australian Government shouldn't protect our car industry?
Old 14-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #127
Shounak

Quote:
So let me get this right..........
British government should have protected it's inefficient car industry so you could keep your warranty, but Australian Government shouldn't protect our car industry?
Exactly. Very well summarised there, old chap.

The British Govt have a duty of care to those affected by the MGR shut down.
Old 14-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #128
HUNTER8

I'm game..............
Why should the government have protected them? Inefficient business, non competetive on the world and local market. No real innovations. Aren't you shooting your own arguments in the foot here?
Or do you have another suggestion for what the British government should have done to protect your warranty?
Old 14-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #129
Shounak

Quote:
I'm game..............
Why should the government have protected them? Inefficient business, non competetive on the world and local market. No real innovations. Aren't you shooting your own arguments in the foot here?
Or do you have another suggestion for what the British government should have done to protect your warranty?
They should've protected them because I would be better off as a result.

My level of caring in this thread has just hit zero.
Old 14-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #130
HUNTER8

Funny thats the thing about tariff reductions. Great idea as long as it doesn't affect the you.
Old 15-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #131
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shounak - in your opinion what do you beleive would happen to the economy if (as the economy slows) some 68,000 (direct) jobs were lost as a result of the closure of the local automotive manufactuing industry? Please also keep in mind the indirect jobs that would be lost as well as the ramifications to other industry? Just one other thing another industry that is currently relying on additional help is farming, however for years that industry propped up the nation and may do so in again in future. That industry deserves support as does the automotive industry in my opinion to lose either or both would have future consequnces to the nation which are unmeasurable at this stage. Tarrifs have already been cut and are at 10% I beleive they should stay at 10% until there are signs that the industry is recovery or there is a global change to how other governments protect their industry. Again why should Australia offer no protection when other countries do?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #132
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
If anybody read a recent edition of wheels the so called "handouts" aren't really as such. They are not in cash they are in fact in the form of import "credits" whereby manufacturers get a discount on tariffs on imported vehicles from their own brand. It also goes on to say that if you that the tax paid by the locals is in fact greater than the Government subsidies so technically they aren't subsidised.

If someone wants to read a good book on how to "compete" with Japanese manufacturers than I suggest the book "automobile factory of despair"

http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/04/11...ry-of-despair/

Here is an extract:
Correct in reading through the article the $1.1 billion was made up of approx. $521 million (tarrif protection) and $537 million of ACIS credits - therefore the comment that the government funds $1.1 billion is misleading (all this can be found on page 16 on the link that wretched posted) The effective amount that the government provided was less than $70 million

Old 15-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #133
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Shounak - in your opinion what do you beleive would happen to the economy if (as the economy slows) some 68,000 (direct) jobs were lost as a result of the closure of the local automotive manufactuing industry? Please also keep in mind the indirect jobs that would be lost as well as the ramifications to other industry? Just one other thing another industry that is currently relying on additional help is farming, however for years that industry propped up the nation and may do so in again in future. That industry deserves support as does the automotive industry in my opinion to lose either or both would have future consequnces to the nation which are unmeasurable at this stage. Tarrifs have already been cut and are at 10% I beleive they should stay at 10% until there are signs that the industry is recovery or there is a global change to how other governments protect their industry. Again why should Australia offer no protection when other countries do?
1. The worst is over with the economy slowing. It's beginning to gain ground again. The RBA went too far with the rate hikes, that explains the much of the strength of the US dollar and the ASX decline.

Things will get better on that front.

2. Farming. Victoria has one of the most advanced farming practices in the world. It was a topic I didn't know too much about until I went to a lecture with Mark Vaille. Apparently Victorian dairy farmers are literally the most advanced with their automated systems etc. It sounds like they don't even need subsidies.

3. Again. For the MILLIONTH time. I say that tariffs should not be abolished. You persist in setting up this straw man and burning it down. Yet the straw comes from you.

I think tariffs are necesary in the short run. However they should not be built into a companies business plan.

It's a bit like Centrelink or Unemployment benefits. I think it's great to help people out when they're struggling, but not nothing someone should live off permanently.

The international competitiveness of these industries should be re-examined because they've been protected by tariffs for ages. If they can compete without tariffs, awesome. If not, you'd probably have to do what any other business would do in that situation. These tariffs make alternatives more expensive at the cost of taxpayers also. I'm not a big fan of a better quality foreign car that could be cheaper, actually be more expensive because of govt revenue.

I find tariffs like feeding a man, when gradually lowering them is teaching him to fish. The government is on the right track here by gradually reducing the tariff's, but I'm definitely not saying that they should be abolished completely. All you have to do is read pretty much any of my 15 posts above to see that.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. It's taking up too much of my time.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #134
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
1. The worst is over with the economy slowing. It's beginning to gain ground again. The RBA went too far with the rate hikes, that explains the much of the strength of the US dollar and the ASX decline.

Things will get better on that front.

2. Farming. Victoria has one of the most advanced farming practices in the world. It was a topic I didn't know too much about until I went to a lecture with Mark Vaille. Apparently Victorian dairy farmers are literally the most advanced with their automated systems etc. It sounds like they don't even need subsidies.

3. Again. For the MILLIONTH time. I say that tariffs should not be abolished. You persist in setting up this straw man and burning it down. Yet the straw comes from you.

I think tariffs are necesary in the short run. However they should not be built into a companies business plan.

It's a bit like Centrelink or Unemployment benefits. I think it's great to help people out when they're struggling, but not nothing someone should live off permanently.

The international competitiveness of these industries should be re-examined because they've been protected by tariffs for ages. If they can compete without tariffs, awesome. If not, you'd probably have to do what any other business would do in that situation. These tariffs make alternatives more expensive at the cost of taxpayers also. I'm not a big fan of a better quality foreign car that could be cheaper, actually be more expensive because of govt revenue.

I find tariffs like feeding a man, when gradually lowering them is teaching him to fish. The government is on the right track here by gradually reducing the tariff's, but I'm definitely not saying that they should be abolished completely. All you have to do is read pretty much any of my 15 posts above to see that.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. It's taking up too much of my time.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I will make the point though that most farming in this country wouldn't survive a year without Government subsidies especially dairy as the world has a HUGE surplus.

Up my way Cattle Farmers depend on on thousands of little subsidies including rent on Crown Land that hasn't been increased in 50 years. Not to mention the "drought assistance" which has been going on for years hiding the fact that a lot of Australian land is now unsuitable for farming. Even if you look at the services sector you will find thousands of subsidies to help "small businesses".

I daresay without the plentitude of Government grants and special legislation most small businesses wouldn't be operating.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #135
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The Brack's report is in.

I have to say that I am in favor of the reduction in the tariffs now. I am seeing benefits and as with anything the negatives. However I think it will work in the long term, bearing in mind it is only a reduction not a complete removal...yet.

The green fund is a good idea to help move towards alternative fueled cars. There is also a mention of exports in mind too. This whole idea so far is a lot better, it is more focused on rewarding innovation rather than handing out willie nillie.

So far I am impressed.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #136
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
The Brack's report is in.

I have to say that I am in favor of the reduction in the tariffs now. I am seeing benefits and as with anything the negatives. However I think it will work in the long term, bearing in mind it is only a reduction not a complete removal...yet.

The green fund is a good idea to help move towards alternative fueled cars. There is also a mention of exports in mind too. This whole idea so far is a lot better, it is more focused on rewarding innovation rather than handing out willie nillie.

So far I am impressed.
I think the government has made the wrong decision until the industry shows signs of improvements, I would hesitate to reduce/remove tarrifs, as they may be the last thing standing between keep business in Oz or it going off shore. EDIT If the industry picks up then by all means reduce/remove them, If we reduce/remove them (like currently planned) we may find ourselves in a similiar position to the US and they still had tarrifs to protect them.

I hope Holden and Ford make better use of the green fund than Toyota. I think the government jumped the gun promising $$$ to Toyota to build a Hybrid Camry when Toyota already had plans for that and that would have occured anyway. The frustating thing about the Toyota grant is that it does little to secure jobs (the Hybrid system and components will be imported) Therefore all the technology/manufacturing etc stays overseas.

Last edited by SB076; 15-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #137
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Australia already has the 3rd lowest automotive tariff level, so why the hell make it even lower. It should be kept at the same level until all the other auto manufacturing countries lower their tariffs to the same level. Thats a fair playing field, none of this fairy land free trade crap the government try to push. Its just a joke.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #138
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I've made my opinions on this idea of reducing tarriffs known often to the chagrin of others in this thread, but I'll reiterate it for the dummies.
Shounak, just because you are an economics student or master or whatever, doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone else here. CEO's and economists disagree on most assessments, and in this case I think you'll find that the Bill Osbourne and Alan Mulally disagree entirely with you.
What you assert in your assessments is patently textbook; it ignores real world influences and factors such as increased costs and forecast increases in costs of production. You talk about cutting tarriffs and the need for Australian manufacturers to evolve into worlds best practice when in fact, the highest input cost in most manufacturers in this country is labour. With the fed now talking of increased SGC components, the minimum wage rates increasing and the unions discussing yet another pay claim what do you think is happening to the margins at both Holden and Ford. Why should the parent companies decide to stay in businesses which are making continual losses? One of the reasons we even have new models is in the fact that as an employer of thousands of Australians, concessions must be made by governments to entice investment.

The announcement by Bracks (jobs for the boys no?) in his kindergarden standard report is nothing but a textbook approach to a real world situation of which the ramifications won't be felt until this utopian stupidity is implemented.
Further, you have shot yourself in the foot with your behest at MG going under because of reduced tarriffs, yet you advocate the same industry killing policy here. If you actually did some research, you would find that Australia has the third lowest tarriffs in the world, lower than any SE Asian nation. When we have worlds best practice or near it as we have at Ford who essentially are a low volume manufacturer, you propose cutting them off further?

Let's take up your issue with the British government, In Australia a Daewoo Cerato costs $12990 on road, yet in britain the same car costs 11000 pounds. Once you do the conversion it is about $25000. Why the difference you ask? Because it is what the market is prepared to pay even though the market is influenced by any cheaper alternative such as a locally made car. Now, more than ever, with the devalued US dollar we have a higher exchange rate which means foreign cars are less expensive; do you think that this helps competition for the locals or not? How can we compete when foreign currency and standards of living aren't the same; often with vast disparities which translate to much lower production costs in other countries? Why should Australia be the dumping ground of asian manufacturers in their quest to produce millions of little unsafe and unroadworthy cars which in fact net them a sizeable profit? What price do you put on a life? (Check out the link, I'm not being alarmist nor nationalistic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAN2cx2UIE)

I would ask that you bear in mind a few other factors too; the cost of mild steel in the last financial year increased 90% in Australia, has this been translated into higher vehicle costs? No, it has been absorbed once again although the coking coal and Iron Ore has been sold to china at less than half the rate it is available here through poor negotiations; how is it fair that Holden and Ford now have to wear some ineffectual bureaucrats poor negotiation skills?
I agree with you that Tarriffs, quotas etc inhibit free trade, but unless other countries remove their barriers to trade we are just ****ing in the wind and will only rid ourselves of industry which contributes billions to the economy as well as employs tens of thousands of people, once it is gone we will never get it back. I think if looking at reducing tarriffs we should apply to each nation what they apply to us. 70% in one country for our exports then fine, their cars and products will attract the same 70% here. 20% on exports in another country then again, 20% on imports from same country here, this would surely be more akin to a level playing field.
Just remember though, don't expect much from this lot in the fed, all they care about is the Toyota Hybrid and are only paying lip service to the locals.

Quote: