Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #121
LTDHO
The one and only

Big Trev - Do you really need to reply to each post separately???

Keeping left is more of a courtesy than a law under 80kph. Not may road users know of this thing called 'courtesy'.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #122
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you would have no problem being a road hazzard travelling at 20km/h under the speed limit in NT?

You would also have no problem being stuck on the wrong side of the road while overtaking and unable to accellerate to get back onto the right side?

It amazes me how many Victorians seem to forget that most of Australia is not within a couple of hundred kilometres Melbourne......
And it amazes me how blinkered some NT people are.

And for the record I have driven around most of this great country.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #123
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Big Trev - Do you really need to reply to each post separately???
I believe it helps to clarify each individual statement, so 'yes' I really do need to reply to each post seperately, otherwise my point gets lost in long multi-quoted posts - sorry if it offends you :
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #124
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much difference would it make having cars limited to 110kph anyway? Despite the government propoganda, very few accidents are caused by excessive speed alone. For example, you can still fall asleep at 100kph (actually its far more likely that you will)

Anyway, as it stands cars arn't limited, for which I'm gratefull. And if they ever were, there will always be ways to by-pass it for those who need/want to - just like some truckies do now.

Best let the thread get back on topic I guess....
Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #125
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
How much difference would it make having cars limited to 110kph anyway? Despite the government propoganda, very few accidents are caused by excessive speed alone. For example, you can still fall asleep at 100kph (actually its far more likely that you will)

Anyway, as it stands cars arn't limited, for which I'm gratefull. And if they ever were, there will always be ways to by-pass it for those who need/want to - just like some truckies do now.

Best let the thread get back on topic I guess....
As a former volunteer emergency service worker who used to roll out to rural and regional motor vehicle crashes to remove live and dead people from the aftermath, speed pays a bigger part that what you would believe.

But yes you are right, let the topic get back on track
Old 04-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #126
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny, its kind of an admission by the government that speeding is ok.... As trucks on 3 lane roads are doing the speed limit and so are not holding anyone up.

Or is it a way to have the police catch speeders easier?! (for revenue) It will probably be nice for the cops as they will get nice clear passing lanes for radaring speeders. Must be hard having speeders dodging in and out all the time, or using left lanes to pass everyone when they are in the median strip and cant get a fix on em!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #127
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Its funny, its kind of an admission by the government that speeding is ok.... As trucks on 3 lane roads are doing the speed limit and so are not holding anyone up.
Or is it a way to have the police catch speeders easier?! (for revenue) It will probably be nice for the cops as they will get nice clear passing lanes for radaring speeders. Must be hard having speeders dodging in and out all the time, or using left lanes to pass everyone when they are in the median strip and cant get a fix on em!
Nice point... and regardless of how you argue you it, it is true.

And also that car drivers on the whole cannot drive... and that truck drivers are the easiet target, and thus the path of least resistance. Remember you are driving in OUR workplace. How tolerant are you of absolutely useless people in YOUR workplace?

Sad... but true.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744

Last edited by G6ET8U; 04-03-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #128
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I the only one who thinks his is the dumbest idea EVER!! How are trucks meant to over take a slower car?? Now they'll just tale gate the slower driver & cause a crash!!

Dumb move with no thought put into it!! It is not the trucks doing the crashing, it is those in cars doing the crashing!!

And to the person who wants undertake to be illegal.. Maybe if people stayed left unless overtaking there would be no need for under taking!!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #129
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

I'm pretty sure that passing on the left is allowed on multi-lane (2 or more each way) highways. Realistically this law shouldn't be needed because there is already a law saying keep left unless overtaking. The biggest problem arises when one truck decides to pass another truck up a steep hill or in a limited length overtaking lane, then all the cars backed up behind don't get a chance to pass (and nobody can tell me trucks don't go slower up hills than cars, even cars towing caravans).

However on three or more lane each way highways this law makes perfect sense, there is no real need for a truck to go into the "fast lane" even to pass another truck up a hill then.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #130
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was me who wanted undertaking to be made illegal, but yes I completely agree. If everyone kept left unless overtaking, there wouldn't be a problem, and no need for yet another rule.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #131
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I believe it helps to clarify each individual statement, so 'yes' I really do need to reply to each post seperately, otherwise my point gets lost in long multi-quoted posts - sorry if it offends you :
It doesn't help or clarify. Doesn't offend just uses un-necessary space and band width.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #132
prydey
Rob

i'm in adelaide and we don't have too many multi lane motorways, however i've driven on the pacific and logan mways in qld many times and sitting in the far left lane is impracticle as often the left lane exits/ends. the lane starts again with the on ramp. you would constantly find yourself moving in and out of the left lane.

also if i'm in the left lane, and i pull out to overtake someone, i'll be passing that person on my left, but if its a 3 lane road, its a good chance i'll also be going past someone on my right! am i meant to go to the far right lane every time i want to pass someone so that i'm not going to the left of anybody?? of course not.

keeping left unless overtaking is open to a lot of interpretation. i can sit in the middle lane and 9 times out of 10, i'll deem myself to be overtaking someone in the left lane, making it perfectly legal to travel in the middle lane.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #133
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
Nice point... and regardless of how you argue you it, it is true.

And also that car drivers on the whole cannot drive... and that truck drivers are the easiet target, and thus the path of least resistance. Remember you are driving in OUR workplace. How tolerant are you of absolutely useless people in YOUR workplace?

Sad... but true.
There everyones roads, not yours or any truckies. Best law in a long time imo.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #134
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
There everyones roads, not yours or any truckies. Best law in a long time imo.
Where did I say it was mine and mine only?

I didn't.

All I am saying is it is our (as in everyone who works on the road fulltime) workplace, so have due consideration. Are you perfect at work? Neither are we... but there isn't laws (and then fines) against you at your work for being slightly inconsiderate? Why should I be fined in my workplace and you shouldn't be for doing EXACTLY the same thing? Due consideration. If you are handed that piece of paper a bit slower or got that email a bit slower than you expected does the sky fall in?

Of course not. Why is the road different? Did I make you 10 seconds late for work mate... I'm sorry. I really am... leave a bit earlier for work.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Last edited by G6ET8U; 04-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #135
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the point of making up a new law when we cant even enforce the current law (keep left unless overtaking)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 04-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #136
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Whats the point of making up a new law when we cant even enforce the current law (keep left unless overtaking)
Good point.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #137
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
129 - Keeping to the far left side of a road
(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as near as practicable to the far left side of the road.
(2) This rule does not apply to the rider of a motor bike.
(3) In this rule— road does not include a road related area.

130 - Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if—
(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless—
(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(b) the driver is overtaking; or
(c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or
(d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
(e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
(f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
(g) the traffic in every lane is congested; or
(h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of these Rules, is permitted to drive; or
(i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.

(3) A keep left unless overtaking sign on a multi-lane road applies to the length of road beginning at the sign and ending at the nearest of the following—
(a) an end keep left unless overtaking sign on the road;
(b) a traffic sign or road marking on the road that indicates that the road is no longer a multi-lane road;
(c) if the road ends at a T-intersection or dead end—the end of the road.
this is the law, interpret it at will, then I will clarify.

This law, if enforced makes the new law redundant, the only difference will be if the new law targets heavy vehicles only

Last edited by Trevor 57; 04-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #138
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this is the law, interpret it at will, then I will clarify.
Personally I dont care if it is law or not.. Common sense tells you to stay left unless overtaking.. And if you don't (even when there is no sign to say so), except me to tale gate you until you get out of the way or I can undertake you!!!

If you dont want to be tale gated, stay left!!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #139
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Where did I say it was mine and mine only?

I didn't.

All I am saying is it is our (as in everyone who works on the road fulltime) workplace, so have due consideration. Are you perfect at work? Neither are we... but there isn't laws (and then fines) against you at your work for being slightly inconsiderate? Why should I be fined in my workplace and you shouldn't be for doing EXACTLY the same thing? Due consideration. If you are handed that piece of paper a bit slower or got that email a bit slower than you expected does the sky fall in?

Of course not. Why is the road different? Did I make you 10 seconds late for work mate... I'm sorry. I really am... leave a bit earlier for work.
You really are sounding like an elitist and I'm sure there are a few drivers about that won't agree with you.

The difference is that whilst the roads may be your workplace, they are also public areas unlike other people's workplaces.

You share the road, you have no more rights and no more consideration is shown to you than any other vehicle/driver on the road. If you can;t handle or accept that then maybe you are in the wrong industry.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #140
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
You really are sounding like an elitist and I'm sure there are a few drivers about that won't agree with you.

The difference is that whilst the roads may be your workplace, they are also public areas unlike other people's workplaces.

You share the road, you have no more rights and no more consideration is shown to you than any other vehicle/driver on the road. If you can;t handle or accept that then maybe you are in the wrong industry.
Hardly elitist mate... I'm a truck driver ;)

We all share the road. Everyone of us. I am well aware of that as you are. I'm a car driver too mate don't forget.

Just my 'desk and computer' sometimes aren't as fast as yours. Nothing much I can about it other than ask for due consideration, I will and do provide it to you and other people who's 'desks and computers' are faster when and where I can.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #141
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Hardly elitist mate... I'm a truck driver ;)

We all share the road. Everyone of us. I am well aware of that as you are. I'm a car driver too mate don't forget.

Just my 'desk and computer' sometimes aren't as fast as yours. Nothing much I can about it other than ask for due consideration, I will and do provide it to you and other people who's 'desks and computers' are faster when and where I can.
That sounds a lot better. Your last post, whether it was intended or not (I doubt it was) didn't come across too flash at all and made you sound like a bit of a cowboy (and I hate them, dealt with too many working at a DC).

I'm a car driver and a bloody lycra wearing cyclist so I hate everyone lol.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #142
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
That sounds a lot better. Your last post, whether it was intended or not (I doubt it was) didn't come across too flash at all and made you sound like a bit of a cowboy (and I hate them, dealt with too many working at a DC).

I'm a car driver and a bloody lycra wearing cyclist so I hate everyone lol.
No worries mate... you are in a DC... imagine yourself in a truck/ on a forklift at that DC and one of the girls from the office isn't walking on the designated walkway, not only that they don't have a safety vest on and are reading the newspaper at the same time but no-one says anything because don't worry bro it's all good, they don't have to look out for anyone because everyone will look out for them.

That is where I am coming from mate. All good

I ride too mate... lol

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #143
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Personally I dont care if it is law or not.. Common sense tells you to stay left unless overtaking.. And if you don't (even when there is no sign to say so), except me to tale gate you until you get out of the way or I can undertake you!!!

If you dont want to be tale gated, stay left!!
'tail' my friend, not tale, but never mind

You sound like a true professional.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #144
leighm

I can understand the idea behind this law and it is true to some degree that trucks should stay out of the right lane due to how slow they are. I can understand the want for a truck to drive in a right lane only to avoid cars, but that comes from the fact car drivers are down right arrogant and rude to truck drivers in the lack of space and consideration they give. It is also true that you should not enforce this for trucks if you are not doing it for cars also! That is double standards.

Having lived in Melbourne for 25 years and Sydney for the last 4, I can say with certainty Melbourne drivers are bloody terrible when it comes to 2hogging the right lane! It seems as soon as a road gets a little busy thet all spread out evenly over all lanes and don't care about the law of keeping left. Don't even get me started on taxi drivers! I used to live in Sunbury so going home every night on the Tulla past the airport, the cabbies would have sat in the right lane the entire distance from the city to the airport an dthen at the last minute want to cut in front of you to take the airport exit. So of course, for a lot of regular people to that stretch of road, you would sit next to them and block them from changing lanes of which I gained great pleasure in doing for the complete lack of respect they showed every other motorist on the road hogging the right lane.

In Sydney the trucks are generally pretty good on the motorways, though put them in a tunnel and they are all retarded. They have no consideration for anyone. THey will pull the right lane coming out of the M5 tunnel west bound where it is a fairly steep incline and slow to 40kmh and under. THey know very well it will happen and have kilometres of road prior to get in the left lane where there is a slow lane pull out for them after the tunnel where they can pick up speed again and join the normal traffic lanes again.....but they dont do it. That sort of behaviour gives truck drivers a bad name and they deserve to have a bad name for that.

Sydney car drivers are far better than Melbourne drivers when it comes to keeping left on motorways. People here are generally in a hurry more so than Melbourne and it is known that if you get in the right lane and hold everyone up, you will be tail gated, you will get high beamed. I stick to the right lane only when passing. All other times I am in the middle or left lane.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #145
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Squashing cars. Sick of clowns doing burnouts up and down my street.

I think the majority are sick of ************** who drive cars with a far less skill than they have knowledge of 'real' vehicle dynamics.

Bring on the crushers, best law introduction in years

I agree
Old 04-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #146
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueses
Here's another thought everyone.

TRUCK DRIVERS are more skilled and are MORE QUALIFIED.. We have a HIGHER category license and have had a higher level of training and road education than those who are legally ONLY skilled to drive a car.

WE, truckies are better, safer, more qualified and smarter drivers when we're not surrounded by idiotic morons in cars.

I just spewed up my arvo cuppa after reading this rubbish.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #147
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Yep, there's a bit of idiot in everyone at times.... I have seen some of my truck drivers do some stupid stuff at times.

The one thing I will say though, is that a truck driver back behind the wheel of a car tends to overbrake a little.... basically dosent compensate for the fact he/she is no longer in a truck... and enters a corner slower as well, and that is always going to be safer than not.

Daniel
For sure.. agree. Ive also seen it happen the other way too.. spend the weekend in the FPV then hop in the truck and forget it doesn't have brembo's or bilsteins!!

A mate who runs 7 large trucks has had more accidents in his car than in his truck...

It works both ways and to say one makes you better (or worse) at the other is pretty ignorant... A bad driver is a bad driver, regardless of what they drive..

Old 04-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #148
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Well i just had to give my brother a call about this, he's been driving trucks for near on 35 years, he has all the tickets and has driven trucks in Europe, N America, All through Africa and even did 8 months in Iraq 2 years ago, so thought i would get his take on it all.

He had already heard of the proposed rule in question and said he has no problem with it as he will always try to keep to the left anyway, but he did say he could see why some would object.

I asked him out of all the countrys he has driven trucks in which did he consider the best, without a pause he said Europe, why not Australia i asked, no way he said, to much of a ******* free for all here.

Speed limiters, give me a break, i would bet my left testi that most on here have experienced sitting on a 110 and had a semi scream up behind them.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 04-03-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #149
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

DJR-351 that's definitely happened to me, in fact driving down the far inland way Brisbane to Melb I was passed by several semi's while sitting 5k over the limit and towing a caravan. Some really flew by and then we laughed about the 100 speed limited sign on the back. The drivers all did a good professional job though.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #150
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
I just spewed up my arvo cuppa after reading this rubbish.
Kinda like this ? :

Sorry but I can sympathise with truckies, I know quite a few, have heard many 'horror' stories, near misses etc etc.... In my opinion this proposed law stinks

BUT

I somewhat refuse to believe all truck drivers are more skilled and more qualified... It took me 1 hr of driving and 1/2hr of testing I got my HR licence!! Then got offered to go to be taken for my MC licence almost instantly :

Am I more skilled than someone in camry? Hell no. Am I more qualified than a falcon driver? I have a bit of plastic that says I can drive a big truck. I was nor proficient nor incredibly competent, it got handed to me like I got a cricket car out of a Weetbix box...

And I KNOW I'm not the only one who got pushed through a system (and I'm not saying all did). Its just the same as all these high speed crashes, governments looking for bandaids, etc... driver education is lacking. Just because you have a plastic card means jack.....

Excuse me while I go find my flame suit.... :
Closed Thread