Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Dodgiest Aftermarket Accessory
Plastic Checkerplate 54 9.71%
"Spinner" Hubcaps (any type for that matter) 128 23.02%
Milo Tin Exhaust Tips 152 27.34%
Unnecessary Monster Tachs 188 33.81%
Air Horns 2 0.36%
Fuzzy Dice 15 2.70%
Other 17 3.06%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #121
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

I'm guessing you have a tach muppet? Otherwise you wouldn't be defending them like it were home soil. I guess the people have spoken, can't be changed, on the right car, perhaps but we're talking more rice here, not drag strip cars etc......

Wings have more use than tachs (especially as most the cars have factory tachs).
Even the big London bridge style wings have there uses........
Old 28-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #122
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
Yes I know but there just seemed to be a lot of people that are saying that they are the worst thing on ANY car. I agree they are a a joke when fitted to a stock auto 4 , 6 or 8 for that matter. And if they are mounted on the dash pad then even more so because they are only there for the w.a.n.k factor. I just cant believe that they are beating spinner hub caps and milo tin exausts as the worst mod. I cant believe that over sized wings wasn't an option I mean isn't that the worst mod ever.
the thing is......i bet most of the people that voted them to be the worst mod havent seen a car thats tough enough to warrent them.....they just picture monster tach - stock VN yeah what a crap mod.....
if you get what i mean...

take the results of a forum poll with a grain of salt....... i rarely even vote in them anymore.......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #123
cool65
carefactor zero

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...RKEDFORBHP.jpg

fully sik
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #124
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So to say that monster tachos are outright a ricer and useless mod is just silly. Oh and we both have shift lights and that seems to be deemed another useless mod , but every race car I have ever seen has one , even auto drag cars.
So, can we assume that you also race yours? If not then it's not worth having it. Tacho's of any kind are only good for racing, traffic light or otherwise. The same really goes for wings, mostly useless under 120kmh!
Old 28-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #125
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
the thing is......i bet most of the people that voted them to be the worst mod havent seen a car thats tough enough to warrent them.....they just picture monster tach - stock VN yeah what a crap mod.....
if you get what i mean...

take the results of a forum poll with a grain of salt....... i rarely even vote in them anymore.......
Yes exactly all the people I know that have them have modified cars that have old crapy tachos in them that are useless for the modified engines that they now have in them.
Old 28-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #126
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-TS50
I'm guessing you have a tach muppet? Otherwise you wouldn't be defending them like it were home soil. I guess the people have spoken, can't be changed, on the right car, perhaps but we're talking more rice here, not drag strip cars etc......

Wings have more use than tachs (especially as most the cars have factory tachs).
Even the big London bridge style wings have there uses........
Yes I have stated so twice, I have a shift light as well . But my car is 30 years old and the instruments leave a lot to be desired. You're car is not ( I am assuming that you drive a ts50) so your'e instruments would be more accurate and not warrant changeing.
I know we are talking rice not drag strip cars but there are people that were saying that they are no good on any car that is street driven and I beg to differ.
As far as wings on street cars go , well I will leave that one alone as I did say oversized wings, so just because you're car has a normal sized one dont get too offended.
Old 28-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #127
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
So, can we assume that you also race yours? If not then it's not worth having it. Tacho's of any kind are only good for racing, traffic light or otherwise. The same really goes for wings, mostly useless under 120kmh!
Well no I have not raced mine yet but what does that matter . So what are you saying that people should just guess if their $20,000 engine is doing 7000 or 8000 or 9000 rpm or are you just being sarcastic. I think I will stick with a tacho if you dont mind .
Old 28-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #128
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Well no I have not raced mine yet but what does that matter . So what are you saying that people should just guess if their $20,000 engine is doing 7000 or 8000 or 9000 rpm or are you just being sarcastic. I think I will stick with a tacho if you dont mind .

REAL drivers don't need tachos to know where their engine RPM is at!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #129
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
REAL drivers don't need tachos to know where their engine RPM is at!!
Bahahahahahahaha is that why top alcohol drag car drivers have shift lights and tachos and V8 supercars and f1 and just about every other form of motorspot you would care to mention. If you can tell the difference between 7500 rpm and 8000 rpm then you are a true legend .
Old 28-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #130
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
Yes I have stated so twice, I have a shift light as well . But my car is 30 years old and the instruments leave a lot to be desired. You're car is not ( I am assuming that you drive a ts50) so your'e instruments would be more accurate and not warrant changeing.
I know we are talking rice not drag strip cars but there are people that were saying that they are no good on any car that is street driven and I beg to differ.
As far as wings on street cars go , well I will leave that one alone as I did say oversized wings, so just because you're car has a normal sized one dont get too offended.
I also have two 35+ year old cars. The 73 'Cuda is a 400hp, 5-speed manual and the factory tach is not the best in the world so I can see exactly where you're coming from. I don't own a 5" tach though.

As far as wings go it doesn't bother me, the TS50 is a factory mounted piece, just like the V8 super car inspired body kit it has, not an aftermarket add-on of which these topics are about.

Real drivers don't need tachos, I agree completely. Real (professional) race drivers do, but last time I checked I've never seen John Force cruising down the local in his Funny car or Mr Schumacher going through his 7 speed sequential on Sunday to the pie shop.....big difference.

Old 28-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #131
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well no I have not raced mine yet but what does that matter .
It matters that you seem to have a monster tach simply for pose appeal. There is one car on these forums that is street registered and would probably eat most others around. No monster tach just a functional digital display.
Old 28-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #132
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its simple fact that Autometer guages are generally more accurate and reliable than factory offerings, especially those in older cars. If this were a water temp or oil pressure guage would there be any argument? It all depends on the application of a monster tach, on an excel your going to look like a tool. Even on a late model GT its probably going to look abit queer but if you have a genuine oldschool then as long as it flows with the rest of the car and you have real reason for it then its all good IMO
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #133
muppet

Quote:
I also have two 35+ year old cars. The 73 'Cuda is a 400hp, 5-speed manual and the factory tach is not the best in the world so I can see exactly where you're coming from. I don't own a 5" tach though.

As far as wings go it doesn't bother me, the TS50 is a factory mounted piece, just like the V8 super car inspired body kit it has, not an aftermarket add-on of which these topics are about.

Real drivers don't need tachos, I agree completely. Real (professional) race drivers do, but last time I checked I've never seen John Force cruising down the local in his Funny car or Mr Schumacher going through his 7 speed sequential on Sunday to the pie shop.....big difference.

Good to see you dont just drive new stuff with computer in it to stop you over reving and blowing you're motor up lol. Allthough I do have a rev limiter in mine as well but a tacho does help to work out what it is set to lol. I know what you mean about race drivers driving down the road in their race cars but I bet their road cars have tachos. And Are you trying to tell me you dont knock the cuda up to 7000 rpm in first gear when you go for a drive down the street and think I'm glad I didn't rev it to 8200 and bend a pushrod.
I did say you're car had a normal (factory) wing so dont take offence . I allways had the intantion of putting a GT wing on my coupe but I have grown used to it without one so I dont think I will bother. I just dont like the cars with over sized super cheap auto supercar wings on them.
Old 28-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #134
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good to see you dont just drive new stuff with computer in it to stop you over reving and blowing you're motor up lol. Allthough I do have a rev limiter in mine as well but a tacho does help to work out what it is set to lol. I know what you mean about race drivers driving down the road in their race cars but I bet their road cars have tachos. And Are you trying to tell me you dont knock the cuda up to 7000 rpm in first gear when you go for a drive down the street and think I'm glad I didn't rev it to 8200 and bend a pushrod.
I did say you're car had a normal (factory) wing so dont take offence . I allways had the intantion of putting a GT wing on my coupe but I have grown used to it without one so I dont think I will bother. I just dont like the cars with over sized super cheap auto supercar wings on them.

I can see their use, if I were to get one it would be console mounted (peripheral vision) or only in my view so no one else can see it.

I guess the thing that looks the most queer is pillar post mounted or dash mounted ones in plane view obviously there for looks over usage.

Old 28-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #135
muppet

Quote:
I can see their use, if I were to get one it would be console mounted (peripheral vision) or only in my view so no one else can see it.

I guess the thing that looks the most queer is pillar post mounted or dash mounted ones in plane view obviously there for looks over usage.

Exactly the way mine is mounted , in the dash where they shoud be that is the whole point of my posts .
Old 28-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #136
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Exactly the way mine is mounted , in the dash where they shoud be that is the whole point of my posts .
LOL! Nothing wrong with that IMO. : I didn't know that, my bad brother.
I see it all the time and would go that way myself......
Old 29-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #137
muppet

Quote:
It matters that you seem to have a monster tach simply for pose appeal. There is one car on these forums that is street registered and would probably eat most others around. No monster tach just a functional digital display.
I have a monster tach under my dash where no one but me can see it so how does that make me a poser . Good on old mate that has a car that would beat most others (what times does it do anyway) with a digital dash. I did say that my car was 30 years old and the instruments were c.r.a.p anyway so what does that prove
And anyway how many hp does you're car have , and how worked is it ? I mean if it is standard then how are you qualified to comment on on my car that the only standard parts left in the motor are the crank and block.
I will say again that after market tachos in standard cars are a joke but in high hp cars with old c.r.a.p.y instruments they are a good thing .
Now I think you should all get back to bagging out some vp's with a wing a tacho and a cannon exaust on it.
Old 29-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #138
Miller
It's Millertime!

I must say that the yuppies that try and cram the biggest bullbar they can, as many driving lights as they can, and as many yellow led lights along the side they can, yet only drive the car around suburbia is also good for a laugh.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #139
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I must say that the yuppies that try and cram the biggest bullbar they can, as many driving lights as they can, and as many yellow led lights along the side they can, yet only drive the car around suburbia is also good for a laugh.
Same as 4X4's (Landcruisers , Patrols etc.) with "all the gear" , winches and snorkels included : and never been "West of Parramatta" . You can always tell the city ones out here , No mud/dust , or scrapes , or dings ... (Large scale ricer to me)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #140
XW_GS
Paulie

Most annoying for me are any piece of rice or any aussie cars that have been decked out RICE style from the accessory shelves at SuperCheap.....

The other day i was in my wagon going to a job with ladders on the racks and the back full of tools when your typical blue WRX packed with 4 "MUZZAS" (god knows where that name evolved from) , some insane (STUPID) body kit, and i mean not yyour standard one, this had pumped front and rear guards, you can still see the original guards underneath, fibreglass heaven, friggin more guages than a car realistically needs...he must have had a temperature gauge for each brake light!!!

What really got my goat was the STUPID decals on the front doors in Japanese, i mean really WTF!!!

Why are they there if no one can understand them anyway!!!!

when the lights went green i was off and gone....

AHH the other thing that cheeses me ORF are them stupid blow off valves or whatever theyre called set at .5 psi and go off at any possible opportunity...

FROM EBAY

Turbosmart Megasonioc Blow Off Valve RRP AUD$499+

You are bidding on a brand new "Turbosmart Megasonic Blow off Valve". VERY LIMITED STOCKS! HURRY!!!

The loudest and highest flowing BOV in the Turbosmart range. If extreme performance and spectacular sound are your priorities – the Megasonic is the BOV for you.
Aimed at the serious racer, it’s also ideally suited for show cars that want to stand out from the crowd.
# Best suited to high performance applications
# Maximum flow and maximum noise
# Adjustment via the unique Quick Wrist action (no spanners required)
# Supplied with a 38mm weld-on adapter to suit stainless or steel piping
# Supported by our Multi-Fit adapters

BEST FLOW AND MAXIMUM NOISE!!!!

give me a break

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #141
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Altezza tail lights are number 1 for me - they look horrid on most cars - worst offenders always seem to be Honda's of some description (although Honda's always seem to be the number one offender when it comes to untasteful mods).

Spinners amuse me and should be taken off the list - I saw them on a Hummer once, I'd do it! (i need help)...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #142
XW_GS
Paulie

OH i did forget ...for a good laugh

http://anti-rice.com/

page owned by a muscle car enthusiast---

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #143
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm on this topic - this morning on my way to work what should pull up next to me but a Toyota Echo with a cannon exhaust, monster tacho, door stickers, 13 inch mags, and stuffed animals on the dash.........and......wait.......for........it:

a male was driving it...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #144
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGS351
The other day i was in my wagon going to a job with ladders on the racks and the back full of tools when your typical blue WRX packed with 4 "MUZZAS" (god knows where that name evolved from) ,
There is some accesory you can get that makes a non turbo engine sound like it has a blow off valve.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #145
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

I hate to point the finger at some of our own, but the black plastic GT/XR bonnet vents on a bog standard white EA with odd coloured front fender look shocking. There must be at least 5-6 of them in my area alone.

Also, check out this site http://www.laughatrice.com/
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #146
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 027
I hate to point the finger at some of our own, but the black plastic GT/XR bonnet vents on a bog standard white EA with odd coloured front fender look shocking. There must be at least 5-6 of them in my area alone.

Also, check out this site http://www.laughatrice.com/
:

I have had more riced up bogan mobiles line up my WRX, than I have had actual Jap cars.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #147
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Good on old mate that has a car that would beat most others (what times does it do anyway) with a digital dash.
Dunno. It's an AU 5.6L Supercharged (with laughing gas) 800 (flywheel) hp

Quote:
And anyway how many hp does you're car have , and how worked is it ? I mean if it is standard then how are you qualified to comment on on my car
The Barge? bog standard. I have no need (so my wife tells me) of any more 'fun stuff' on the engine. But, many moons ago I did a lot of Rally work where a tacho is very necessary, and now drive a truck where it is also needed.

Quote:
Now I think you should all get back to bagging out some vp's with a wing a tacho and a cannon exaust on it.
Nah, your much more fun, you bite easily
Old 29-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #148
muppet

Quote:
Dunno. It's an AU 5.6L Supercharged (with laughing gas) 800 (flywheel) hp

The Barge? bog standard. I have no need (so my wife tells me) of any more 'fun stuff' on the engine. But, many moons ago I did a lot of Rally work where a tacho is very necessary, and now drive a truck where it is also needed

Nah, your much more fun, you bite easily
Ah there is allways a need for fun stuff on an engine . You just dont tell the wife she doesn't need to know lol.
Thats not biteing thats just growling a little . Just wondering if you even read my earlier posts as to why I had a tacho in my car or did you just decide to try and insult me because you were board ?
Old 29-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #149
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Cant stand those neon lights people put on their calipers!!! brrr

I also enjoy pulling up next to little civics and lancers that have skyhigh rear spoilers and guards the width of a hummer!!.. Then seeing these poor disillusioned soles "plant it" when the light goes green... it kills me
Old 29-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #150
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where I live there is a house of Sudanese with FOUR VT-VX Commodores between them, all with big chrome 20 inch wheels and oversized exhaust tips. Every week they get more scrapes and dents on them. Someone chucked an egg on one and they haven't cleaned it and it's just baked in the sun. What a waste, at least they are only Commodores I spose.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post