Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #121
IDT
Marko

Went to pick my car up from a service. Pulled up and one of the salesman asked "looking at trading in the focus?" I looked at him and said "see the sticker?". It was one of thier loan cars with a big **** sticker on the back window saying just that.

Also apparently all drop side utes are one tonners????
Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #122
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
I just told him my car is fine, and there is not a hope in hell I'd go from a fully working Ghia to a GLi.
Cause an EA Ghia would be so much better optioned than a EL Gli!

Funny Story. My father in law thinks his XE Ghia is the shizzag. No Steer, No Air, No nuthing! Seats 6 in comfort on Vinyl, and got a fancy emblem on the bonnet!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #123
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

Funny Story. My father in law thinks his XE Ghia is the shizzag. No Steer, No Air, No nuthing! Seats 6 in comfort on Vinyl, and got a fancy emblem on the bonnet!
EA Ghia is a brilliantly appointed car, and it has comfier seats than my EL Fairmont too. However, XF Ghia all the way, nothing like having a lounge suite for car seats, and digital dash to impress the ladies............

XE Ghia with no power steering or air con and it has vinyl seats? That would make it a GL, correct?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #124
gu4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
digital dash to impress the ladies............
You really need to hang around different women!

Current Drive: 2009 Audi S3 Sportback in Black
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #125
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

Smile

1996 I was looking for a 300zxTT and saw a nice one at a dealer with a large "turbo POWER" sticker across the window.
As I was having a closer look at the car the Brainiac salesman comes over and starts on with "how hard it goes" etc etc.
When I popped the bonnet to have a look, I noticed it was N/A no plumbing etc.
So I asked him where the turbos live.
he said "yeah mate... I know what you mean.... its a packed engine bay isn't it?"
Then "the turbos are buried right down the back, you can't actually see them."
But he insisted it was turbo'd and if I took it for a drive I would feel the awsome power that they make.

I politely declined, and left.
Bought one the following week, complete with two turbos.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #126
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of Laughs in this Thread however none of them Surprise me which is Really Sad.

I can tell you it is not just Car Sales guys or gals who are thick, it is People in General these days.

I often wonder how some get through Life at all!

Though it does seem Because so Many are plain Dumb, they all sort of Gel with each other Coz the Dumb Employer likes the Dumb Employee Coz he reminds him of Himself :P who does not realise he is Thick either.

So this is why you often find People with not much upstairs in all sorts of Jobs when you would think to yourself, how do did they get that Job or for that Matter keep it.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #127
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Old thread, but anyhow.

I did my apprenticeship at Nissan in Cairns several years ago, and was told a pearler by one of the salesmen there.
A fresh cadet salesman noticed an older chap roll up to the showroom on his crusty old 10 speed and proceed to wander over to gaze at the 1st 350Z that had just been delivered recently to the dealer.
Adorned in a holey old polo, stubbies, and thongs the old codger was, the young cadet strolled over and started to chat to the guy about the new Z.
Codger asks to get some paperwork started.
Young bloke laughs and tells him to knick off.
The old codger apparently returned the next day, met with the new car sales manager for a brief period, and left again. The young bloke a bit puzzled asked what the old derro wanted. The manager proudly pointed out that the gent just signed paperwork for the next delivered Z that came into stock! He was in fact quite a wealthy local owner of a transport company and had bought every new model of Z car since the 240Z!
Just to rub it in the young bloke was asked to fetch the vehicle for the chap when he took delivery a week later! He was quite red-faced from all accounts after that.
I love stories like this. Where I buy my suits the manager is a switched on salesman. Told me about this old guy not to dissimilar to the above, come in once a week for a month just window shopping and asking every question under the sun. Then one week came in and spent over $20k. You should never judge a book by its cover.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #128
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Nuff said bout that 300zx hehe
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #129
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu4800
You really need to hang around different women!
Hey, if young girls today are impressed by lights in the windcsreen wiper jets, then imagine what they would think of an XF/EA Ghia dash? (end sarcasm)
Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #130
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I have not had the stupidity some of you have experienced. Had a good experience with Paul Khoury at Europcars looking at an Audi A8 V8 Quattro - nice guy not pushy happy for me to drive the car etc... I didnt choose to drive it, I could tell by looking it was damn nice. Car was 4 years old, near $180k new, could have bought it sub $50k only 59,000k on clock.
He followed up and left me alone when I said I would not go ahead.
He was less anxious than me about my kids playing next to the $400,000 ferrari.

In Dubbo ford dealership the sales guy sees me looking at an F6 - I knew the car. He asks if I want to drive it, I reply, well yeah, I would like to drive it, but I wont be buying it, so I wont waste your time. He didnt know what to say to that.

When I bought the XR6T I rang the Narromine ford dealer and explain what I want and what I would pay. Without meeting me in person, and without me signing anything he buys the car from auction and has it trucked to Narromine. That was pretty good IMO.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #131
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Territory had just come out and thought that it would be a great car for our future family so booked a drive with the local dealer.

So the following week my wife and I go to the dealer, chat to the saleswoman and we go for a drive with the lady in the back seat. Great vehicle and I found it to be a pleasure to drive.

Whist driving it, the saleswoman who seemed reasonably knowledgeable, said "Well, if you really like it, you need to get in quick as the price is an introductory one and will be going up by $2000 in 2mths time..."

A few months later, we bought a XR6 with low ks privately instead.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #132
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i think salesman like shooting themselves in the foot?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #133
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

My dad walked into the mildura ford dealership asking for a quote on a BF II fairmont ghia. They never bothered to get back to him. So he bought else where. They wernt to happy when he turned up to order some mats for his new car!
A couple of years later he showed up asking for a quote on a G6ET. They got onto it straight away lol.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #134
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Um, by reading YOUR post, it makes YOU look like a tool!
Should have read through the thread, then you would have seen why he wrote it like the way he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
A general beef i have with the majority of dealers is their inability to discern after 30 seconds of conversation they are talking to someone with a bit of general car knowledge and cannot be BS'd. Even speaking to some car dealer mates they insist that everyone can be sold, and while i admire their tenacity more often than not they end up looking like a fool when they get caught out.

If i walk into a car dealership about the only thing i need to know is how the car actually drives, as the rest of the information i would have already garnered through my own research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
swallow a thesaurus did we..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Wat i dun lik about car deellazz is that they allwayz try to BS u even when u r obviosly 2nd yr diesel fitter aprentise who already has a BA XR6 nd knows heaps more then them anyway probably and I tell em nah its a DOHC not SOHC and they argue and tell ur an idiot and go home, but they look lik the tool.

At a car deallerrship i only want to drive it and if they BS me they will loose my busness.

There you go, a bit more akin to the general grammar and spelling levels of the forum. :
Old 09-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #135
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A salesmen told my brother that Tickford Fit special bushes to the suspension on the XR's....... He was Test driving a BF XR6Turbo!

Salesman told me XR6Turbos are like hens Teeth when i was looking at mine... Sorry Hard to find, this is a current production car isn't it or have Ford shifted to building Stage coaches?

Service manger told me XR6Turbo's run a few BAR of Boost from Factory!!!!

It only matters that you know the car if you speak to a enthusiast, Allot of people arn't as knowledgeable as us.

A mate is a car salesman, he took a Trade in the other day gave them $5500, he then Built bout $4000 back into the car he sold them, so they only ended up with a $1500 trade in. and hell he wouldn't have know chit about the car he was selling, he's just friendly, can talk chit and makes you believe it and comes across as a nice guy.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #136
TREAY81
XXXR8TED

I have had heaps of dodgey experiences with sales people, but i have had a good one or 2 as well.

My mum had a BA MKI XR6, she turns up at my house one day after owning it about 18 months, in a bloody Corolla, I could have cried, she walked inside and asked me to take it and get her XR6 back for her cos she hated it. Some bloody salesman talked her into a corolla telling her it was so much smoother and nicer than the XR6, but she can't test drive as they wont even get their first one in stock for another week, She bought it, i traded it the next day, (speedometer read: 156kms) she lost some money on that but was then driving a XR6 MKII, got it brand new for $30K runout.

Another time, I drove into a Dubbo dealership, stood by the car i wanted wearing workboots, Blue kingee trousers and work shirt, hot sun, standing there watching them walk past me to the nicer looking people, decided i didnt want that car afterwards, so i jumped back in my 1973 Chevy Corvette which i parked next door out of sight and backed out to drive off, all of a sudden a salesman is running out onto the road to see if he could help me! I smiled and politely said "well you could of!" and drove off. Bought my XR8 2 days later in Newcastle.

When i went looking for a new bike in November i had decided i have had enough Honda CBR's, i wanted to test some of those boutique bikes (Duke's, KTM etc) I was given the key to a 1098S - was not impressed (apart from tha sweet exhaust note!) so i moved on, rode the KTM RC8, it was a total flop from my 2006 CBR, so i went to ride a 2008 Hyabusa in white, the salesman told me they dont need to give test rides of this bike as they sell themselves, therefore i was not aloud to test it, I was ready to crack it, went and bought a 2008 CBR (DOH!) best thing i did, now that i have ridden the busa its not for me. - I could not beleive that salesman was ready to let me put down over 20K hard earned for something i had never even sat on before. I have decided i dislike all car/bike sales people at least until they knock off work! HAHA
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #137
TREAY81
XXXR8TED

Oh and by the way, the best caryard i have ever dealt with, as far as service, aftersales service, quality workmanship and price is the Narromine Ford Dealership, he is only a litle rural dealer but he makes a killing as he has a loyal clientele thanks to their good treatment for customers.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #138
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Sales men

Like Treas experience my mother back in 1980 had an XC wagon (almost new)and used to tow a dog trailer with greyhounds one day she went to the Ford dealer for a service and they talked her into a new Laser
well she went from 27 MPG to 20MPG and when it went up hills she had to turn off the AC as it was gutless and 13 months old the trans died $3000 later so Ive got no time for sales men I buy from yards but to me the car sells itself not the sales men
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #139
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Today we went to our local Ford dealership as we are likely to need a four door car ths year and we are seriously considering a FG F6.

Any way, we find a F6 in manual, black and was apparently the DP personal driver so likely to have up to 10k on the clock. I might add that not only was it dirty but it had massive swirl marks in the paint.

So I ask one of the sales man how much they have on the F6 down the front? He answers $72 : Now an F6 is 66k retail, 69k with leather or 73k with leather, reverse camera and sat nav. This vehicle did not have a tow bar or dark argent wheels. I think it probably had sat nav which explains the $72k but that is new price, not used.

I asked why so expensive for a near new when I can go onto carsales right now and find brand new for $66k. His answer was "well this one has extras". So I asked what extras to which he answered it has leather ($2k option). IO gave him a number of opportunities to explain why the pricing, which he did not. IN fact he told me that there has recently been a price increase! What manufacturer increases the price when they are facing hard economic times? I told him not to worry about it and left, driving off in our Super Pursuit.

I am so sorry to him for wasting his time, obviously talking to the other sales staff leaning over the counter was way more important. I will remember not to waste their time when I do find the car I want, I will just buy it somewhere else.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #140
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

This is interesting, today I actually applied for a car sales cadetship....after reading this it makes me not want to go for it, seems every saleman listed here has absolutely no clue.

I dont know what they plan to teach me, but if was any of the bs answers listed on this thread I would tell the dealer where to go, I cant believe they know so little especially on the FG's, 350z and Ghia knowing the most about the premium model cars is what would pay the morgage or so I thought.....might have to reconsider a career in this industry unless any of your guys have had some good experiences
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #141
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpdau
This is interesting, today I actually applied for a car sales cadetship....after reading this it makes me not want to go for it, seems every saleman listed here has absolutely no clue.

You could look at it this way, you won't have much competition. Just remember, this is the age of information. The customer often knows way more about the car than you imagine and they don't like BS.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #142
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

Well he must have a GL with Ghia badges on it mate because all XD and XE Ghias had A/C, Power Steering, Power Windows, Full Instrument dash and Central Locking as standard....As for seats all Ghias had velour trim as did the Fairmont...

As for the previous comment on the XF Ghia....Probably the worst car I've ever owned..The digital dash was a gimmick.. the tacho being as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike and ciggy lighter in each armrest...aint times changed
Seats were Ok though i must admit...Fords first Falcon model with cruise control and trip computer...both failed miserably
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 09-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #143
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

I dont know what they plan to teach me, but if was any of the bs answers listed on this thread I would tell the dealer where to go, I cant believe they know so little especially on the FG's, 350z and Ghia knowing the most about the premium model cars is what would pay the morgage or so I thought.....might have to reconsider a career in this industry unless any of your guys have had some good experiences

A good salesman doesn't give answers he asks questions. The right kind of question will give you a good insight into the buyers mind. What stage he is at, what he is looking for, what he will want etc. I have a cert III in Automotive sales, its interesting stuff.

Its all about controlling the buyer and leading them into the purchase. Controlling the sale as it where.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #144
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Well he must have a GL with Ghia badges on it mate because all XD and XE Ghias had A/C, Power Steering, Power Windows, Full Instrument dash and Central Locking as standard....As for seats all Ghias had velour trim as did the Fairmont...

Thats what I was thinking because even our old XE S pack had cloth seats, air and full instrumentation (lets not forget go fast stripes).
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #145
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86

Its all about controlling the buyer and leading them into the purchase. Controlling the sale as it where.

I always thought it was about finding out what the buyer wants and finding the right car for them.

Actually it seems it is a case of finding out whats going on in their head, work out their weakness and then push them into something that you want to sell them, the one with the bigger margin.

No wonder I love cars but detest buying them!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #146
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Quote:
A good salesman doesn't give answers he asks questions. The right kind of question will give you a good insight into the buyers mind. What stage he is at, what he is looking for, what he will want etc. I have a cert III in Automotive sales, its interesting stuff.

Thanks for the input
Just out of curiosity...hope im not being rude, what kind of pay were you on after your first year as a cadet just an approxinate so I know what I'm in for the person conducting my interview gave me ballpark but she might have been generous.
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #147
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Thanks for the input
Just out of curiosity...hope im not being rude, what kind of pay were you on after your first year as a cadet just an approxinate so I know what I'm in for the person conducting my interview gave me ballpark but she might have been generous.

Couldn't tell you, I work with heavy plant equipment, my employer just thought it usefull for me to know how to sell cars and our salesman earn well into the 6 figure bracket. They also have to have product knowledge far exceeding that of LV (maintenace costs, compent life etc) and a good idea of customer operations.

Last edited by irlewy86; 09-02-2009 at 07:08 PM.
irlewy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #148
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
Couldn't tell you, I work with heavy plant equipment, my employer just thought it usefull for me to know how to sell cars and our salesman earn well into the 6 figure bracket. They also have to have product knowledge far exceeding that of LV (maintenace costs, compent life etc) and a good idea of customer operations.
When you remove the emotional factor from a purchase (Heavy equipment vs private vehicle) it makes it a lot harder to make the sale, I reckon your boys would deserve their pay packet.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #149
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
As for the previous comment on the XF Ghia....Probably the worst car I've ever owned..The digital dash was a gimmick.. the tacho being as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike and ciggy lighter in each armrest...aint times changed
Seats were Ok though i must admit...Fords first Falcon model with cruise control and trip computer...both failed miserably
I didn't say the rest of the car was any good, just the seats. But I see you already agree, ha ha ha. You forgot to mention the fuel gauge readout that had no relevance to the amount of fuel left in the tank too............
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #150
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
You forgot to mention the fuel gauge readout that had no relevance to the amount of fuel left in the tank too............

Ha ha.,..oh yeah that too...Got caught out many a time with that
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post