Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #121
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Fg Mk2 Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
look up the price of an XT.
Ford dont want to sell XT's as reflected by the dealer bonus's on them.

XT is for national fleet customers only now, its not longer an option for private / small business.

In Fords eyes XR6 is now the base model for private / small business.

Holden are doing the same with Omega, unless your a national fleet customer they are actually dearer then SV6.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #122
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What makes you think the EcoBoost will have 400nm??? Ford have previously indicated they will not be going for big spec numbers, but rather they will be concentrating on fuel economy and drivability …

The 2012 Focus ST is rated at 185kw and 360nm … I see these numbers as the maximum the Falcon may be getting, but more realistically the Falcon numbers will probably be slightly lower … remember this engine is not designed to win a grand prix but rather deliver good economy with efficient drivability … with the weight of the Falcon going after big numbers means the 8ltr per 100km target will be unachievable …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Over 400nm torque
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #123
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
look up the price of an XT.
$40,290, but as Dash GT said above dealers tend not to stock them new rather keep a number of ex-fleet in the used section. Of course when the "$28,888 oops we have had a huge order cancelled" clearouts happen they all stock up....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #124
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I actually heard from a mate who is an engineer with a supplier that works closely with Ford on important parts of the vehicle that they actually have detuned the EcoBoost package a little for that exact criteria and that the test drivers were really, really surprised at how well it went.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #125
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
What makes you think the EcoBoost will have 400nm??? Ford have previously indicated they will not be going for big spec numbers, but rather they will be concentrating on fuel economy and drivability …

The 2012 Focus ST is rated at 185kw and 360nm … I see these numbers as the maximum the Falcon may be getting, but more realistically the Falcon numbers will probably be slightly lower … remember this engine is not designed to win a grand prix but rather deliver good economy with efficient drivability … with the weight of the Falcon going after big numbers means the 8ltr per 100km target will be unachievable …
It could unknowingly become a performance option depending on what the aftermarket crew comes up with.

Considering this engine is in other Fords world wide like the new Focus ST, its not just what people here in Australia can do with their aftermarket wizzardry.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #126
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would`nt be amusing if the little engined falc became the best handling model ever because of the weight loss/distribution factor......... GT stripes anyone .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #127
kocho
The Futuriser

I'm really looking forward to the Ecoboost Falcon. After all the reports from the States, It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the Falcon!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #128
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has the potential to be that BUT ...

A. Previous reports have indicated that Ford will most likely not introduce it in the XR range.

B. FPV will not be releasing am ore hotted up version.

So being confined to the G's and GE's its unlikely ... that is unless you fit a proper aftermarket suspension to the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
would`nt be amusing if the little engined falc became the best handling model ever because of the weight loss/distribution factor......... GT stripes anyone .
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #129
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I actually heard from a mate who is an engineer with a supplier that works closely with Ford on important parts of the vehicle that they actually have detuned the EcoBoost package a little for that exact criteria and that the test drivers were really, really surprised at how well it went.
And we have yet to see the retail price on that..no doubt at all that early adopters will be bent right over... How much will the difference be between the run-out special on a normal XR6 and the retail on a new model FG2 Ecoboost, and how many hundreds of thousands of km's will they have to drive to save that difference in fuel costs ??

Oh I'll work it out just for fun:-
Maybe the retail driveaway on an Ecoboost might be something like circa $54,990 and you can buy an XR6 on run-out for $34,990, difference = $20,000, so at 2 litres per 100 km's more efficient, (estimate 7.9 litres per 100 km's for Ecoboost vs 9.9 for inline 6) and with fuel at say $1.60 = 12,500 litres / 2 x 100 = 625,000 km's divided by an average per annum of 15,000 km's motoring per annum = 41 years motoring
See what I mean by early adopters paying retail and getting bent over.

Anyone genuinely interested in low cost large car motoring will simply buy an XR6 on run-out special pricing.

Last edited by Rodge; 02-11-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #130
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Fleets Rodge.... And greenies that don't care. Holden cylinder deactivation or sidi crap marketing over substance anyone....
Amazing what they can do with two litres these days, I drove a big VW Amarok 4wd in Darwin a while ago, hard to believe only two-litre engine.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #131
Rodge
Banned

Trev, Fair comment about Fleet discounts but the retail customer is left paying through the nose if they want the latest new technology, that's my point.
Greenies buy hybrids, (trsut me I know I am married to one), and yes Sidi is creative marketing B.S. at its finest.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #132
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Borderline racism is not acceptable. No further chances.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #133
Rodge
Banned

Because I like the latest technology but resent fleets getting big discounts early on when I can't You can't tell me that doesn't put heaps of people off. The same applies to all the new retail pricing on FG2, its just so excessive the retail customer is seriously disadvantaged.

Last edited by GT; 02-11-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: quoted post and not required comment
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #134
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
What makes you think the EcoBoost will have 400nm??? Ford have previously indicated they will not be going for big spec numbers, but rather they will be concentrating on fuel economy and drivability 

The 2012 Focus ST is rated at 185kw and 360nm  I see these numbers as the maximum the Falcon may be getting, but more realistically the Falcon numbers will probably be slightly lower  remember this engine is not designed to win a grand prix but rather deliver good economy with efficient drivability  with the weight of the Falcon going after big numbers means the 8ltr per 100km target will be unachievable 
There are a few guys that are privvy to insider info, he is one of them.
What gives you the impression more torque isn't better for economy?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #135
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well to make more power the engine needs to burn more fuel …

When looking at the same engine, and assuming the engine in the same efficiency band (i.e. you are not trying to make too little power or too much power) a lower power out figure will be more economical than a higher power output figure … that is because more power requires more air, and more air requires more fuel to burn to maintain the same air/fuel mixture … (assuming the same efficiency band tuning is applied).

The statement above may sometimes be counteracted when too little power is applied to a weight of a vehicle, hence making the higher power tune more economical, but in the Falcons case too little power is probably well below 300nm before it starts affecting economy negatively …

When looking at other current implementations of the Ecoboost I can see the Volvo XC70 being a good reference point to the Falcon as it has similar dimensions and weight to the Falcon (i.e. large car) … its economy is 8.7ltr and its power figures are 177kw and 320nm, its 4wd so there is some extra drive train loss in there … The Focus ST on the other hand will have more power and better fuel economy of 7.7ltr but it’s a much lighter FWD car …

That’s why I think the Falcon’s power will fall somewhere in between these two … unless Ford in not interested of achieving its original advertised 8ltr fuel economy targets … also don’t forget the Focus ST is tuned for premium fuel only, I would be surprised if Ford did the same for the Falcon and made it incompatible with 91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
There are a few guys that are privvy to insider info, he is one of them.
What gives you the impression more torque isn't better for economy?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #136
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brochures are now on line for Mk2. Looks like Ford are holding back some info as the details and full specifications are very limited.

No rear and shots of the cars, no interior pictures etc.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #137
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Well to make more power the engine needs to burn more fuel …
Not quite.

Quote:
When looking at the same engine, and assuming the engine in the same efficiency band (i.e. you are not trying to make too little power or too much power) a lower power out figure will be more economical than a higher power output figure … that is because more power requires more air, and more air requires more fuel to burn to maintain the same air/fuel mixture … (assuming the same efficiency band tuning is applied).

The statement above may sometimes be counteracted when too little power is applied to a weight of a vehicle, hence making the higher power tune more economical, but in the Falcons case too little power is probably well below 300nm before it starts affecting economy negatively …

When looking at other current implementations of the Ecoboost I can see the Volvo XC70 being a good reference point to the Falcon as it has similar dimensions and weight to the Falcon (i.e. large car) … its economy is 8.7ltr and its power figures are 177kw and 320nm, its 4wd so there is some extra drive train loss in there … The Focus ST on the other hand will have more power and better fuel economy of 7.7ltr but it’s a much lighter FWD car …

That’s why I think the Falcon’s power will fall somewhere in between these two … unless Ford in not interested of achieving its original advertised 8ltr fuel economy targets … also don’t forget the Focus ST is tuned for premium fuel only, I would be surprised if Ford did the same for the Falcon and made it incompatible with 91.
Seeing this would be the first time the 2.0EB has been used in RWD - i.e., in an engine bay with more room for better flowing intake, header and exhaust design - in no way is this going to impede efficiency. Plus, if a member with a proven history suggests over 400Nm, I wouldn't be jumping out disagreeing with him. Barring all that, there's no way to know what the actual ideal rating for the Falcon would be unless you're part of the R&D team.

Last edited by Falc'man; 02-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #138
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not quite.
More power, for a given amount of torque, requires more revs. More revs = more fuel.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #139
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
And we have yet to see the retail price on that..no doubt at all that early adopters will be bent right over... How much will the difference be between the run-out special on a normal XR6 and the retail on a new model FG2 Ecoboost, and how many hundreds of thousands of km's will they have to drive to save that difference in fuel costs ??

Oh I'll work it out just for fun:-
Maybe the retail driveaway on an Ecoboost might be something like circa $54,990 and you can buy an XR6 on run-out for $34,990, difference = $20,000, so at 2 litres per 100 km's more efficient, (estimate 7.9 litres per 100 km's for Ecoboost vs 9.9 for inline 6) and with fuel at say $1.60 = 12,500 litres / 2 x 100 = 625,000 km's divided by an average per annum of 15,000 km's motoring per annum = 41 years motoring
See what I mean by early adopters paying retail and getting bent over.

Anyone genuinely interested in low cost large car motoring will simply buy an XR6 on run-out special pricing.
Why do you even bother coming to a Ford website with this attitude??

To start with, the I4 is coming out at the start out next year, all of FG1 run out models will be gone & FGII will have only been out 1-2 months, so there won’t be any 35K run out models in the market... They'll most likely come back at some stage, but by then they'll be some 4I's to add to the mix, or maybe they wont lift build rate, so between LPi, normal I6 & I4, the might not be many run-out deals for a loonng time!!!!

And people really save money on pruis???
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #140
HSE2

I would have thought by now we have had enough ecoboost threads. Unless I have missed something Ecoboost I4 is not part of this release i.e. FG Mk2 online.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #141
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Because I like the latest technology but resent fleets getting big discounts...
Why would you deserve the same discount as someone who'd buy much larger quantities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
More power, for a given amount of torque, requires more revs. More revs = more fuel.
You can tell how your post is irrelevant if you consider that the I6 in the FG is more economical than the previous iterations with less power.

This is about efficiency. Making more from less, or the same - If they can do so then why shouldn't they? I've shown how it's a possibility in my previous post.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #142
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You right bulk buying should yield you a discount …. BUT a discount of 20 – 30 % of the RRP is a bit much and simply means you are inflating your RRP to convince the fleets you are giving them a “big discount”.

Also do not forget that the Dealers are also buying the cars in bulk (well the big dealer networks anyways) which means they will easily get the same “big discounts” from Ford just like the fleets if not better … while they will want a greater profit, they can still pass a lot of that saving back to the consumer if they wish to sell …

Ultimately the whole inflated RRP strategy just does not work … the market is not stupid and simply prices these cars at their real price which generally equals to the “big fleet discount”, otherwise private buyers simply do not buy them …

The best strategy is the one VW uses, that is fleets get Farkall discount of the RRP price (or very very little) for the majority of their models (GTI or Rspec ...) the market is happy and gladly pays RRP prices, second hand cars keep their value very well, and everyone is happy (both consumer, dealer, and manufacturer) … Ford’s strategy simply devalues their cars, keeps the private market mostly away, and does no favours to anyone.

Quote:
Why would you deserve the same discount as someone who'd buy much larger quantities?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #143
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You right bulk buying should yield you a discount …. BUT a discount of 20 – 30 % of the RRP is a bit much and simply means you are inflating your RRP to convince the fleets you are giving them a “big discount”.
How dumb do you think fleet managers are, that they'd look at "discount recieved" & not "amount paid"!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #144
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
How dumb do you think fleet managers are, that they'd look at "discount recieved" & not "amount paid"!!
That plus he missed Dash GT's post on how Ford are positioning the XT. Anyway if Ford's strategies are wrong I'm pretty sure they'll consult the aff experts like they always do.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #145
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back on topic, and some self-interest, the MKII G6ET picks up as standard sat nav, 19" rims & alarm which were options on MK1 so that's about $4500 at rrp. Anything else?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #146
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
$40,290, but as Dash GT said above dealers tend not to stock them new rather keep a number of ex-fleet in the used section. Of course when the "$28,888 oops we have had a huge order cancelled" clearouts happen they all stock up....
I think the only time retail buyers will see an XT is when it's used as a loaded SR package,
something like that would take a bit of $36,990 price fatigue off the XR and G Series models.

Even though Ford has used discount XR to great effect, i feel that long term it's not good to do that.
A prettier XT could fill that role and allow Ford to move XR6 up a rung, but only if Holden plays ball....
Maybe start matching Holden's "International" with XT SR or even the old "Futura" badge for specials....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #147
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Fg Mk2 Online

Might be trivial to some, but rather annoying to others, but why does the FG now get called the FG MKI when it never existed?

Just because Ford have released an update and called it MKII doesn't mean the FG is now called MKI.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #148
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Might be trivial to some, but rather annoying to others, but why does the FG now get called the FG MKI when it never existed?

Just because Ford have released an update and called it MKII doesn't mean the FG is now called MKI.
Because that's what's happened every other time, so to avoid confusion the original becomes series 1
as in XF, EA, EB, AU, BA, BF so why should FG be any different, it will happen regardless
due to used vehicle sector taking up the nomenclature....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #149
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Because that's what's happened every other time, so to avoid confusion the original becomes series 1
as in XF, EA, EB, AU, BA, BF so why should FG be any different, it will happen regardless
due to used vehicle sector taking up the nomenclature....
sorry, i agree with phantmxr6.

the original is what it is. then there's a mk2/series 2 etc.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #150
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: Fg Mk2 Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6

Isnt this argumentative?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post