Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #121
superyob
Banned

Default Re: 4cyl Falcon - Thoughts and Reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I'm looking for the statistics in your post, but I cannot find them. Your rhetoric shows a lack of critical thinking. I did not say inexperienced drivers were not at higher risk than experienced drivers. If that's all you are claiming, then I completely agree with you. I said displaying p-plates causes labeling (which leads to self-fulfilling prophecy). I do not believe displaying p-plates saves lives. I can't be a "left-wing loon" because I am very conservative.
Those who object to labelling usually are ‘left wing loons’ who think we should all be the same and/or who don’t like their suspect behaviour and attitudes being exposed to righteous ridicule… I am a total bogan and you may label me as such!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #122
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Those who object to labelling usually are ‘left wing loons’ who think we should all be the same and/or who don’t like their suspect behaviour and attitudes being exposed to righteous ridicule… I am a total bogan and you may label me as such!
Fair enough, but my point wasn't to make everyone appear the same. I believe in scientific research, not political correctness. You can get your custom t-shirt here. http://www.customink.com/ As for my political persuasion, I am right-wing, and I want less government intervention, not more. Hence, why I don't like the idea of p-plates.

Last edited by chevypower; 27-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #123
weairy
Piston Broke

I'm a little amazed. I saw an EcoBoost ad on TV. Nearly fell over myself.
Old 27-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #124
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Great to see it win Carsales COTY. They must think its great.
Old 28-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #125
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was on the front page with bold heading /pics of both the front and rear pages of "The Sydney Telegraph" Tue.... Holy smokes Batman!!!!!!!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #126
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy View Post
Well the EcoBoost Falcon has been rocking around for nearly 12 months now and I haven't really seen anything on it in awhile until I saw that the Ecoboost in now P Plater exempt.
How are these little 2lt turboed environmentally friendly Falcons? Is there a big power difference or does the turbo make up for the shortage of cylinders? After 12mths are they still running smooth or are they knackered?
Thoughts, comments, feedback appreciated.

Sincerely,
An Uneconomical 6 Cylinder Lover
Ecoboost Falcon voted today as Australia's best sedan under 60k and the Best OVERALL car on sale against a field of 335 entrants.
2nd year running for Falcon to win. 2011 was the EcoLPi Falcon. Falcon has won best sedan 7 years from the 10 it has been run

Sounds like an Ecoboost Falcon is a winner to me. Certainly keen to have a drive of one myself.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #127
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Best Large Car Under $60,000
Ford Falcon G6EcoBoost
2.0L 4cyl;six speed Automatic
8.5L/100km
$40,835

The best Falcon yet.

Traditionalists will cry out “what the” when they see that the large under $60k winner for 2012 is the Ford Falcon Ecoboost G6, forget the fancy name it’s a four cylinder Falcon! But the Ecoboost is arguably the best mainstream Falcon ever built, bettering the scores of last year’s winner, its sibling the LPG fueled six-cylinder Falcon EcoLPI in some key areas.

The fact that the Falcon is a winner again, in a different guise, underscores the work that the manufacturer is doing in trying to arrest the slide of large car sales in Australia by providing consumers a number of viable alternatives to the big six. And like last year where the judges thought the LPG Falcon was as good if not if not better to drive as the comparable six-cylinder petrol version, it’s a similar story with the new Ecoboost.

And thankfully the line ‘the Falcon is powered by the tried and proven in-line six-cylinder‘, something we have been saying for decades it seems can now be replaced with the line “by the new 2.0 litre turbocharged engine”. Definitely a sign of moving with the times.

The new engine developing 179kW of power and 353Nm of engine torque might be slightly below the petrol and LPG Falcon in terms of maximum outputs but the key differences the engine torque and where it’s developed. The Ecoboost,with its smaller capacity and turbocharged engine develops its maximum torque at just 2000rpm, at a better more useable rpm than the six‘s, where it develops its max torque figure at 3250rpm, some 1250rpm higher. Engine torque is the key ingredient in providing strong acceleration off the mark and an overall satisfying drive experience, and the Ecoboost with just 2.0 litres at its disposal performs as well as the bigger six.

You can have the best engine in the world but if the rest of the car is off the pace then it will soon picked up on, especially with the Aust Best Cars criteria. Thankfully the Ecoboosts underpinnings are just like last year’s winner, the Eco LPi, but with some improvements. The lighter four cylinder engine reduces the Ecoboosts weight by some 109kilograms and shifts the mass away from the front axle, improving weight distribution. The result is a Falcon that has much better steering precision and handles directional changes as nearly well is its smaller stable mates. The volume selling model we tested , the G6 has a much better tyre and wheel package as standard equipment that improves not only the Ecoboosts prowess through the witches hats but also delivers an improved ride quality, especially on second class roads.

Interestingly the Ergonomic score has improved, the G6 specced model has a larger touch screen and easier to use controls and the overall interaction with eight way electric adjustable front seats gave it a slight edge compared to the base XT. So too did the 2.0 litre engine in smoothness and quietness, an area where the old six-cylinder is starting to show its age. Rev the six-cylinder past 3,000rpm and it starts to become noisy and coarse, the 2.0 litre on the other hand spins sweetly towards its limit of 5,500rpm, ready for the next up-shift.

A Falcon without a six- cylinder engine is like a meat pie without the sauce, it doesn’t seem right. But times have moved on and I prefer to think of the 2012 winner it as a meat pie with a tomato relish, a bit different but something that’s easy to get used to.

Finalists
Ford Falcon G6 EcoBoost
Toyota Aurion AT-X
Peugeot 508 Allure HDi

Story from
http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au...arge_under.htm

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #128
Buntz
Straight Eight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb62m41wFQI

I'll just leave this here.
Old 30-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #129
weairy
Piston Broke

Without meaning to rain on anyone's parade...

How does the Falcon rank top two years in a row and have such absolutely horrid sales figures?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #130
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its the price. I will buy (borrowed money after trade) 1 or 2 new cars in the next 2 years.
Both have to be around the 20k price to be affordable to me.

Our income-pretty much on the Aussie median point.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #131
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comparing the Ecoboost with the ECOlpi.
Which would YOU buy, and why?

I'd have to say the ECOlpi.
Still cheaper to run.
More powerful.
Bulletproof engine.

The only benefit I see of the Ecoboost is somewhere or regularly travel to somewhere that LPG is not avaliable. But for the likely buyers of the Ecoboost, city folk, LPG is everywhere.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #132
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id probably go the EcoLPi because its designed and built here. But what economy figures are they getting on the highway for them?

I normally see 8L/100km on a trip in an FG XR6 petrol. If the EcoLpi is worse than 10L/100km id probably go the Ecoboost.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #133
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go with EcoBoost. It's an amazing engine, and as a petrol engine, it does not compromise the boot space. As a personal preference as well, I'd choose petrol over diesel or LPG any day.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #134
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Id probably go the EcoLPi because its designed and built here. But what economy figures are they getting on the highway for them?

I normally see 8L/100km on a trip in an FG XR6 petrol. If the EcoLpi is worse than 10L/100km id probably go the Ecoboost.
But what's the Ecoboost getting on the highway? Wouldn't imagine too much better than 8L/100km?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #135
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
But what's the Ecoboost getting on the highway? Wouldn't imagine too much better than 8L/100km?
Looking at the Ford website the figures for "Extra Urban" is 6.4L/100km for an Ecoboost, 7.6L/100km for an I6 and 9.4L/100km for an EcoLpi.

Wish we had an Ecoboost and EcoLPi at work for me to have a go of.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #136
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm yet to see even one EcoBoost on the road, I guess no XR variant means no private sales ... lets hope 2014 brings the EcoBoost to the whole Falcon range.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #137
EVLKNEVL

I think 7.6 is an extremely reasonable figure for the petrol 6. Factor in the use of 91 octane instead of the 95 octane the ecoboost demands, and it's still a very reasonable option as a highway cruiser.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #138
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
One interesting point I have just uncovered. I thought that there would be lots of these appearing in Telstra car parks but it appears that Ford has been completely removed from the fleet.
There was a kind of falling out with the Telstra/Ford agreement earlier this year when Ford decided to change carriers.

I can't remember if they switched to Vodaphone or Optus but this is the reason Telstra dropped Ford from their fleet selection.

Haven't seen many of these on the roads and I think it's because people are still buying smaller cars even though the Falcon EB4 drinks about the same amount of fuel...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #139
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
There was a kind of falling out with the Telstra/Ford agreement earlier this year when Ford decided to change carriers.

I can't remember if they switched to Vodaphone or Optus but this is the reason Telstra dropped Ford from their fleet selection.

Haven't seen many of these on the roads and I think it's because people are still buying smaller cars even though the Falcon EB4 drinks about the same amount of fuel...
Less than a Mazda 3 actually, and not much more than a Focus petrol. I've been seeing a few around recently, all in G6E trim. I've even begun to notice an increase in Mondeo Ecoboosts (maybe this might just be because Ford have begun to add an Ecoboost badge to the bootlid though).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #140
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
I think 7.6 is an extremely reasonable figure for the petrol 6. Factor in the use of 91 octane instead of the 95 octane the ecoboost demands, and it's still a very reasonable option as a highway cruiser.
I had a gen 3 Berlina that got 7.9 on the highway. Which would be excellent in a world that didn't require any slowing down or accelerating. Of course the city fuel econ was terrible enough, it would average a combined figure of about 13.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #141
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

easy the general public are stupid. they don't buy because it's the best they buy on advertising hype.
ford have pulled out all the stops rolling out new high tech gear but the advertising isn't as emotive as holdens the public as a whole are too stupid or too lazy to do research on the merits of each car
Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy View Post
Without meaning to rain on anyone's parade...

How does the Falcon rank top two years in a row and have such absolutely horrid sales figures?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #142
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

I drove one of these today at the Ford proving grounds as good if not better then the 6cyl, afterwards we got to test 3 Falcons LPI, N/A 6 cyl and ecoboost we were timed from 0-100, the ecoboost had the quickest time 7.00 clocked by our own Russellw.

Big car has 6 cylinder performance with small car running costs, its no wonder it won best sedan under $60,000.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #143
nstg8a

Ecoboost was quicker than the ecolpi? Interesting.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #144
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Ecoboost was quicker than the ecolpi? Interesting.
It is 85 odd kilos lighter than standard 6 (More so than the EcoLPI I would imagine), more aerodynamic undercarriage and different suspension. Very hard to explain how good these are until they are experienced. If anyone enjoys going around corners ..... the difference to an I6 in any configuration is absolutely significant.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #145
Au_barra

has anyone ecoboosted one yet and seen what power they can make with some mods?
Au_barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #146
Bossxr8
Peter Car

SCT have unlocked the ECU in the Focus ST and gained 25 hp and 55 ft/lb of torque. Big torque gain but suprisingly minimal power gain, but its possible the injectors were maxed out maybe?

17kw and 75nm roughly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #147
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post

Yeah but economy factoring changes when LPG is half the cost of petrol in some areas.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #148
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Factor in the use of 91 octane instead of the 95 octane the ecoboost demands, and it's still a very reasonable option as a highway cruiser.
EcoBoost does not need 95RON. It's quoted power and torque figures are achieved using 95RON, but it's not a requirement.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #149
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
SCT have unlocked the ECU in the Focus ST and gained 25 hp and 55 ft/lb of torque. Big torque gain but suprisingly minimal power gain, but its possible the injectors were maxed out maybe?

17kw and 75nm roughly.
All that means is that the torque was gained at lower RPM. Power = torque * RPM which is why dyno queens love to rev so high.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #150
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree they are very surefooted compared to the I6. Ford really need to market them aggressively, they have the potential to sell well if you can get people to have a drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
It is 85 odd kilos lighter than standard 6 (More so than the EcoLPI I would imagine), more aerodynamic undercarriage and different suspension. Very hard to explain how good these are until they are experienced. If anyone enjoys going around corners ..... the difference to an I6 in any configuration is absolutely significant.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote