Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #121
The Monty
Just slidin'

I got the privelege of parking next to one at a set of lights and the exhaust was coming straight into my window. Ban them all if they have no legitimate purpose as they are way more dangerous than modded cars that get more defects. Just my 2 cents.
Old 22-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #122
EL-XRAN
Xranmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisan
Car parks are the worst places, as the spots are too narrow which causes pain chips when they open their doors.
Yeah agreed for sure man! But it isn't the fault of the 4WD owner (unless they park all wrong), that comes back to the design of car parking bays. I had this exact same conversation the other week with a mate at a KFC joint. He blamed the "bloody 4WD" and I blamed "bastard KFC." 4WD's will always be around, they're part of the Aussie way of life. There is simply no reason that you should need to obtain a separate license to be allowed to drive one and to suggest so is lunacy. The fact that people even consider this as a solution will make bearuocrats everywhere rub their hands together with glee. The people suggesting they should be charged more for a license obviously don't look at the price of Diesoline at the bowser either. It's a less refined, more raw product than any Unleaded will ever be. Diesoline costs more because typically bigger vehicles use it, and this is meant to be a supplement to a levy on licenses, so the people with them are already paying more.

>Monty the Customised Fairmont<
>Elektra the Lightning-strike Pursuit 250 Ute<
Old 22-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #123
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Well I own both a lowered Falcon and a Raised Jackaroo...The falcon is lowered purely for looks and the Jackaroo is raised to assist clearance on tough tracks. Should I put my stock springs back in the falcon because its not a legitimate purpose?

Not having a go by the way mate...
Old 22-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #124
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

123 posts of mostly bs, this thread was going nowhere from the start, where is the padlock.
Old 22-12-2005, 10:39 PM   #125
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang
think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say Melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension heights.
Well then think about this for a second.... The person that owns that car properly love extreme 4X4ing and would go out 4X4ing quite often. So because of his interest, and love of getting on the beaten track and heading out to the country for a weekend under the stars, he can not live in the city with such a vechile..... Or he could be a country bumpkin that has come into the big smoke to do some business......

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 22-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #126
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
First off, I don't own a high performance car. Secondly, you do not know what I do mate so you might not want to be so dismissive of the information and experience I have.
Thirdly, if you naively believe that 4wd vehicles are no more dangerous than a normal sedan then you have typified the very problems that the rest of us motorists face.

Your arguement about how vehicles perform in an impact is so flawed that quite frankly everyone who has read your post is now dumber for having done so. It is this type of unadulterated ignorance that has made the 4wd issue such a big problem in the first place.

As for getting a clue mate, I put it to you that I have a clue and in fact you don't; by the fact that you obviously have no concept of different types of vehicle construction and the resultant concentration of forces, let alone the actual metallurgy of the materials used and their respective tensile strength.
If you would like a clue, perhaps you could spend a night with the local fire brigade and attend some accidents involving 4wd. Or better yet, perhaps you can check with the bureau of statistics and check what average percentage of either sedans or 4wd's have caused the most fatalities. Simply burying ones head in the sand does not make the problem go away, and denial that a problem exists is just fanciful.
Never said you owned a performance car. Just made a generalisation, exactly as you did.

Also never said 4WDs aren't more dangerous than family sedans. Because I know that's not true.

Never made a comment about how any vehicle performs in an accident, let alone 4WDs.

I have a fair idea of the different types of vehicle construction, but I fail to see how you conclude I don't, because I never said anything about it.

Yes 4WDs are more dangerous than family sedans. I'm not even going to try to dispute that, I know they are. I just fail to see how you can claim that 4WDs are to blame for your mate's accident (even though it may come across differently, I'm sorry to hear about). Yes the 4WD may of played a role in it, however if the driver had stuck to the law it wouldn't of happened, plain and simple.

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but I just get sick to death of knee jerk reactions to problems. Yes 4WDs are dangerous. Yes they take a bit more skill to drive. But that doesn't mean they should be taken off the road. There is clearly a problem with the licencing system, which is constantly avoided in favour of banning something. Sadly, banning things that are unpopular with the majority always wins votes over long term solutions.
Old 22-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #127
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think it's comical that a Territory owner should post this. It's a wonder that all the people with lowered cars dont complain about the height of a Territory's bumpers
Did you have a look at the height of the cruiser?

I really don't understand some of you guys. A legitimate question was asked, answer the question or SHUT UP.

Haven't even given my point of view and I get attacked by people to lazy to give reasons for their view on the subject.

This is a public forum, a Pub at that, people should be able to ask reasonable questions and expect reasonable answers and not get chased away by statements like;
You need a hobby. Like seriously there a so many things that a potentially dangerous, lets all just stay indoors and not leave the house at all
What a load of horse manure!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thread is discriminatory and reeks of envy

Come on guys, give a sensible reason to why you think jacked up 4WD's have the same right to the roads as other vehicles

If the Government asked the same question which answers do you think they would take on board?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 22-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #128
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
First off, I don't own a high performance car. Secondly, you do not know what I do mate so you might not want to be so dismissive of the information and experience I have.
Thirdly, if you naively believe that 4wd vehicles are no more dangerous than a normal sedan then you have typified the very problems that the rest of us motorists face.

Your arguement about how vehicles perform in an impact is so flawed that quite frankly everyone who has read your post is now dumber for having done so. It is this type of unadulterated ignorance that has made the 4wd issue such a big problem in the first place.

As for getting a clue mate, I put it to you that I have a clue and in fact you don't; by the fact that you obviously have no concept of different types of vehicle construction and the resultant concentration of forces, let alone the actual metallurgy of the materials used and their respective tensile strength.
If you would like a clue, perhaps you could spend a night with the local fire brigade and attend some accidents involving 4wd. Or better yet, perhaps you can check with the bureau of statistics and check what average percentage of either sedans or 4wd's have caused the most fatalities. Simply burying ones head in the sand does not make the problem go away, and denial that a problem exists is just fanciful.
Well then on that note I think we propose a vote on banning anything that is driven on the road that is bigger the a motorcycle..

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 22-12-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 22-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #129
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

[QUOTE=johnydep
Come on guys, give a sensible reason to why you think jacked up 4WD's have the same right to the roads as other vehicles
[/QUOTE]

Jacked up cars still have rules binding the modifications, as long as they are legal, no one has a right to knock them, they are not breaking the law.
Edit: btw, I do not own or particularly like jacked up 4wd's.
Old 23-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #130
max^power
Formerly au^ute

i certainly wouldn't like riding a motorcycle near one of these big things. car drivers think they can't see motorcycles, what hope in hell has a driver of one of these vehicles have?

cars like the patrol are big enough for the road in my opinion, unless drivers can become more aware of other road users. Seeing the amount of big 4wd's not indicating and not even looking when changing lanes or cornering, i dont think this is going to happen any time soon. as long as the drivers are "safe" they dont care about any other road users. it seems the "i didn't see you" excuse works wonders in getting out of trouble with the law.

just my 2c
Old 23-12-2005, 04:02 AM   #131
Rapid260

It comes down to this, "driver Awareness", a responsible drive regardless of age, male or female, be it a 4WD, high performance, or small car, will know there own capabilities, as well as the car’s & will drive accordingly, it is only a minority, the ones that think they know what they are doing, that make it look bad for the rest.

I'm from the west & there is a lot of 4WD’s here, we have a very small city & a lot of open road, & I would say that 99% of the drivers of 4x4 are very good, even the women in the shopping centre car parks are ok, but I do agree that these SUV’s are too big for inner-city driving, & built up area’s, most major city’s in Oz just don’t have the capabilities to handle them, I’ve seen a lot of the east coast & you guys over there seem to have narrower roads due to population build up so I can see that it would be one hell of a problem.

Kev.
Old 23-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #132
xespac

End of the day, it comes down to the person behind the car, put an idiot behind a ford sedan, then anyone is at risk... put an idiot behind a 4WD and again, anyone is at risk.... 4WD will do more damage to a ford sedan(for example) then a ford sedan would do to the 4WD.... shouldn't ban any cars from driving in certain areas.... too many stupid laws in place at the moment, we're not going to be free to do what we want anymore!

Why not try get rid of those massive trucks that are 10x bigger then a 4WD from driving down streets just to get home....
Old 23-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #133
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Well I own both a lowered Falcon and a Raised Jackaroo...The falcon is lowered purely for looks and the Jackaroo is raised to assist clearance on tough tracks. Should I put my stock springs back in the falcon because its not a legitimate purpose?

Not having a go by the way mate...

Ok, you win, Ive got an open mind and when people put things into a perspective so that I can see both sides of the argument, and both sides have at least some reason, I accept both sides. So yes I agree that they shouldnt be not around because the modifications are for no legit pourpose but I also disagree as to confuse myself and everyone else. :

On another note, I think police should have a major crackdown on pushbike riders (the racing type ones). Like I said before, just my 10 cents. :
Old 23-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #134
red_hotxr6
Banned

Cool

If you ban them then you are going to have to ban trucks, buses etc etc. Remember a gun can kill but it is the person using it that does it .These things have as much right on the road as other vehicles, it is the person behind the wheel that causes the problem.
Old 23-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #135
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Never said you owned a performance car. Just made a generalisation, exactly as you did.

Also never said 4WDs aren't more dangerous than family sedans. Because I know that's not true.

Never made a comment about how any vehicle performs in an accident, let alone 4WDs.

I have a fair idea of the different types of vehicle construction, but I fail to see how you conclude I don't, because I never said anything about it.

Yes 4WDs are more dangerous than family sedans. I'm not even going to try to dispute that, I know they are. I just fail to see how you can claim that 4WDs are to blame for your mate's accident (even though it may come across differently, I'm sorry to hear about). Yes the 4WD may of played a role in it, however if the driver had stuck to the law it wouldn't of happened, plain and simple.

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but I just get sick to death of knee jerk reactions to problems. Yes 4WDs are dangerous. Yes they take a bit more skill to drive. But that doesn't mean they should be taken off the road. There is clearly a problem with the licencing system, which is constantly avoided in favour of banning something. Sadly, banning things that are unpopular with the majority always wins votes over long term solutions.
For the record, I don't want them banned.
I would like the incentives to buy them over a normal vehicle removed, because sadly they are getting into the wrong hands.
What I would also like, is for drivers of 4wd vehicles, particularly the 3pm school mum brigades, to be tested and taught to drive them specifically. Just the same as how you now need a seperate endorsement for a manual if you have only been taught on an auto. Of course I do not say that all 4wd drivers are bad - the large number of which are serious enthusiasts do take into account their vehicles dynamics and drive them accordingly. I do however see the problem with arrogant drivers who use them in the city yet never take them off road. To me, that kind of 4wd ownership is unnecessary - and they should be banned from Versace wannabe Yuppies.

Quote: