Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #121
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dont use E10 fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I dispute this comment as I remember clearly why leaded fuel was phased out, leaded fuel was removed for pollution reasons, also removed for health concerns.

Yes you are correct on the catalytic convertor quote where leaded fuel will contaminate it & render it useless.
I would have to agree with Dr Terry on this one.

Lead contamination was first discovered back in the late 1940's.
Clair Cameron Patterson, a geochemist was trying to work out the age of the earth using lead isotopic data, but his experiments where continually contaminated with lead due to tetraethyl lead from vehicle exhaust emissions.
He released a paper on the subject in 1965 which upset all the oil company's which in turn smeared his name to the point that he was rejected from scientific institutes even though he was the best in his field.

He showed that lead had contaminated the polar cap, lakes, oceans, soil, etc etc but was only a recent phenomenon. It was not until after the catalytic converter and unleaded fuel reduced the lead in the air was he acknowledged or his work taken seriously.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #122
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
From Ford Wiki

The inline six-cylinder engine received a power upgrade of 5 kilowatts (6.7 hp) and 8 newton metres (5.9 lb·ft) to 195 kilowatts (261 hp) at 6000 rpm/391 newton metres (288 lb·ft) at 3250 rpm. The engine can also use 95 RON fuel, adding 6 kilowatts (8.0 hp) and 18 newton metres (13 lb·ft), a figure higher again on 98 RON fuel where certain sources would claim 420Nm of torque and 208 kW on RON98 petrol. 0–100 km/h tests show 6.2s times with RON98 fuel versus 6.8s with RON91.
On my stock untuned FG XR6 Turbo Auto, I Normally use 98 fuel but recently I put 2 loads of 91 through the tank and checked the performance with my GPS based test gear (the same as used by Motor Magazine).

On 2 runs the car took 4.38 sec and 4.32 seconds to accelerate from 20 to 100 km'h with 91 in the tank and with 98 fuel the time was 3.95 seconds, no wheelspin on any of the runs and weather/load conditions were virtually dead equal.

So the car was around 10% slower on 91 although it felt quite good because the initial throttle response was similar on both fuels.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #123
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
On my stock untuned FG XR6 Turbo Auto, I Normally use 98 fuel but recently I put 2 loads of 91 through the tank and checked the performance with my GPS based test gear (the same as used by Motor Magazine).

On 2 runs the car took 4.38 sec and 4.32 seconds to accelerate from 20 to 100 km'h with 91 in the tank and with 98 fuel the time was 3.95 seconds, no wheelspin on any of the runs and weather/load conditions were virtually dead equal.

So the car was around 10% slower on 91 although it felt quite good because the initial throttle response was similar on both fuels.
When the original Optimax was released my Mazda 626 turbo which averaged 400kms per tank jumped to 500kms per tank. The better fuel was actually cheaper. We never use less than 98 in anything and did use the V-Power Racing 100 when it was available, sadly gone.
sprintman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #124
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Yep nothing wrong with E10. You can get a bad batch of any fuel, just bad luck.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #125
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
No, Ive worked for a couple of independents. Its the same thing. Fuel gets ordered. Sub contracting tanker company delivers it. Nothing in between. It usually comes from one or 2 depots.
No, you're right, this is 99.999% of the case. There have been a handful of cases where an independent was found to be using additives to dilute the fuel and save on costs, but this is so rare it is virtually nonexistent. I have heard of only 2 instances in Australia myself, and was in the game for 8 years.

I only use 98 in my cars, I have always found that the extra cost justifies the additional mileage and drivability.
Old 30-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #126
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
When the original Optimax was released my Mazda 626 turbo which averaged 400kms per tank jumped to 500kms per tank. The better fuel was actually cheaper. We never use less than 98 in anything and did use the V-Power Racing 100 when it was available, sadly gone.
Unfortunately, the original Optimax was also eating the rubber hoses in the pumps, which were having to be swapped over on a regular basis. Good fuel, just wasn't great with rubber.

Tried Optimax 100 a few times, that stuff is GOLD!