Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #121
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Falcon protest at Ford HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
I just went back and read some of Callum's page, I left there feeling dirty..
Most of the dimwit comments on there are scary. I can't believe a group of people can be so uneducated on life and business.
They are meant to be Falcon fans and they are ripping Ford Australia to pieces. Sad.
Worse part is Ford endorse him by letting him continue on, instead of having the page shut down through copyright and intellectual property breaches.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #122
dead_man00124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
A big Ford Only send-off on the last days of production has been mentioned in these forums when the shutdown announcement was first made.
I am hoping it goes ahead, I would love to be a part of it. Can't think of a better reason for an interstate roadtrip.
id actually make a cruise out of it, Geelong > Lara/You Yangs Proving Ground > broadmeadows or vice versa.
dead_man00124 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #123
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

that facebook page, more often than not, is an embarrassment to the ford community.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #124
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Have I bought a new Falcon in the last 2-3 years? NO.
Why not? Because Ford arent offering a Falcon that I want to buy.
I couldnt care less about tech packs, and sure as hell dont want a turbo 4cyl, dont want integrated everything, theyve overcomplicated the whole shebang and driven the price up to a point where even if they had something I wanted to buy I wouldnt even try to find the money for it anyway....
Old 19-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #125
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I admire your passion but a protest, this isn't going to be like the million man march that took place in the US. I think any one that goes is going to look pretty silly. ford has decided to go so F them. They have nothing in their new line up that I want to buy as a daily. Mustang is nice but I already have a 2 door and don't want one for a daily either... so no sale
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #126
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I first saw this thread title I assumed the protest was to be outside Ford HQ in USA. That's where the protests should be directed!

Even if local manufacturing is ending, they don't have to kill off two world-class Australian designs and insult us by throwing a few wallowing yank barges at us as a sop.

If Ford Australia was taking its direction from Ford Europe I'd consider staying with them. Falcon and Territory were basically cars with a European design philosophy. By going American, I'm afraid they've lost me.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #127
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Bugger, going to have to think of another Bookface name now............

Michell and Callum banned me
Old 19-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #128
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
If Ford Australia was taking its direction from Ford Europe I'd consider staying with them. Falcon and Territory were basically cars with a European design philosophy. By going American, I'm afraid they've lost me.

One american car.

Mustang.

the rest is global, with a heavy influence from Europe, except obvious stuff like the Ranger/Everest that was designed and engineered here.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #129
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Might rock up to this in my German Ford

These morons give ford fans a bad name.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #130
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
One american car.

Mustang.

the rest is global, with a heavy influence from Europe, except obvious stuff like the Ranger/Everest that was designed and engineered here.
Edge? What replaces the Territory is critical. And what seriously replaces Falcon? (Not Mondeo.)
Old 19-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #131
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
When the parent company (no such thing as an Australian car company...it's GM and Ford USA when push comes to shove) sells more F series trucks in a couple of days than we sell Falcons in an entire year (an average of one every 40 seconds apparently), why do people still find it so hard to understand why the rug was pulled out from under it?
Couple that with Ford Australias mistake which many other car makers have done before...not seeing which way the market was heading and just keeping on plugging out cars that no one wants anymore...and it was inevitable.

It was a great car while it lasted...but times change.
I saw the new Gensis that Hyundai has released and wondered why they are releasing a large car when everyone is saying that ford having been producing a car no one wants. Was it the car and size or was it that Ford never put in the effort or the money into building a car everyone would buy. I think Ford NA never gave the Falcon the opportunity to shine as I think it would have embarrassed them at what was being produced with little funding.
Anyway just a thought
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #132
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Have I bought a new Falcon in the last 2-3 years? NO.
Why not? Because Ford arent offering a Falcon that I want to buy.
I couldnt care less about tech packs, and sure as hell dont want a turbo 4cyl, dont want integrated everything, theyve overcomplicated the whole shebang and driven the price up to a point where even if they had something I wanted to buy I wouldnt even try to find the money for it anyway....
Fair enough your opinions, except I can't swallow the driven the price up bit.

I purchased a new EF Falcon in 1994 for approx $32k on the road. For basically not much more, far less than inflation you get a much better package 20 years on - even if you only consider all the extra safety features and better fuel economy.

Bang for buck they represent great value and the price has gone down in real terms over 20 years.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #133
Guzz226

Quote:
Edge? What replaces the Territory is critical. And what seriously replaces Falcon? (Not Mondeo.)
Mondeo is the largest sedan Ford Australia will offer going forward - they don't sell the volume in that class to justify either continuing Falcon or bringing in a repalcement, at this point in time anyway.

So Mondeo it is if thats the sort of car you want out of Ford.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #134
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as unpopular as this is gunna sound. I don't mind the look of the current Taurus!! Don't care if it front wheel drive either!!! bring it here!! I don't want to go overseas just to drive one!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #135
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA View Post
I saw the new Gensis that Hyundai has released and wondered why they are releasing a large car when everyone is saying that ford having been producing a car no one wants. Was it the car and size or was it that Ford never put in the effort or the money into building a car everyone would buy. I think Ford NA never gave the Falcon the opportunity to shine as I think it would have embarrassed them at what was being produced with little funding.
Anyway just a thought
Genesis is a large, low volume high$$ luxury car aimed at Mercedes/BMW buyers whereas Falcon is a bread n butter, high volume family sedan.

On top of this, I'd say genesis production and world sales would overshadow Falcons in its halcyon years.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #136
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
as unpopular as this is gunna sound. I don't mind the look of the current Taurus!! Don't care if it front wheel drive either!!! bring it here!! I don't want to go overseas just to drive one!!
365-horsepower twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6
http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-...d/taurus-sho/#

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #137
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if local manufacturing is ending, they don't have to kill off two world-class Australian designs and insult us by throwing a few wallowing yank barges at us as a sop.

Ha! Wallowing yank barges. Speaking from experience, are you?

That may have been true in times past - hell, Aussie Fords were wallowing barges three decades ago (body roll on an EA was unbelievable), but not these days.

Quote:
Why not the Mondeo? For the people that buy Falcons as mum and dad family cars, there's nothing that the Falcon offers over the Mondeo. Mondeo has more tech, is more fuel efficient, better build quality and a bigger boot. All very important features in a family car.

And what exactly is wrong with the Edge? Yes, it doesn't offer third row seating, so for those who need it, the Territory is still available for 22 months (I was going to write two years but I can't believe it's less than that now). The new Edge looks fantastic and I'm sure it'll be a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA View Post
Genesis is not a Falcon competitor. It's only similar in size, but the Genesis is aimed at a higher end luxury market than the Falcon. It specifically aims to target the BMW 5-Series and the Mercedes-Benz E-class. So I think the Genesis sales figures are irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Mondeo is the largest sedan Ford Australia will offer going forward - they don't sell the volume in that class to justify either continuing Falcon or bringing in a repalcement, at this point in time anyway.
Agreed, but Mondeo isn't a sedan. It's a hatch or wagon - which is great, I think both hatches and wagons are more practical with a larger boot opening.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #138
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Why not the Mondeo? For the people that buy Falcons as mum and dad family cars, there's nothing that the Falcon offers over the Mondeo.
There's a standard I apply to family cars that I call the "baby seat test". You'd be surprised at the number of people who have three little ones - two requiring child seats and one a baby capsule. If you go on parent and baby forums (or at least last time I did - well past that stage now!) there are an amazing number of people whinging that they bought what they thought was a large car (usually a Japanese 4WD) and found they couldn't fit the 3 child-holders across the second row. Or three adults comfortably for that matter.

Falcon and Territory (and Commodore) have been for many years the only cars available in a popular price range that could provide this. The equivalent new breed of front wheel drives in this category (such as Mondeo) are narrower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
And what exactly is wrong with the Edge?
Obviously I can't judge until it turns up here, but for a start, being front wheel drive-based on a vehicle that size and height isn't looking good. I'm expecting it'll handle like a barge. Not having 7 seats is also a dud. But yeah, we'll wait and see.

Unfortunately (for Ford), we're not going to wait. We need to change over soon and I reckon Territory will drop off a depreciation cliff, being a terminating model (been through that before) so would rather act earlier than later.

Also, besides considering all the practical features, I've always been one for a good driver's car and I believe vehicles that size and upwards are best being RWD-based. Also we're looking for a crossover (high-entry car), not an off-roader.

So we've been looking far and wide, wading through that sea of automotive mediocrity out there, and all we see that matches the Territory on all those criteria are the BMW X3 (if you want 5 seats) or X5 (if you want 7). The full range of equivalent Merc models aren't all available in Australia. Incidentally, this is quite a tribute to what Ford Australia achieved with the Territory.

The crossover/fulltime 4WDs from VAG group (Audi, VW and upcoming Skoda) also look good but I don't like the DSG gearbox. ZF or die for me - and BMW ticks that box! VAG does FWD extremely well but I think the upper threshhold for FWD is at the Superb/Mondeo etc size level and they don't have the internal width.

As for Falcon, I'd put it in the equally illustrious hard-to-replace RWD group (including internal width). So that'd be something like BMW 5 or 7 series or Merc E or S class (haven't checked the internal dimensions on those).

So that's the dilemma this particular Ford owner is facing and I place the blame for that at the door of Dearborn for not understanding the Australian market (or, more likely, not caring because it's too small).

My biggest regret would be giving up Kinghorn Ford at Nowra which would be one of the best motor dealers in the country, certainly the best I've found of any sort for years. We looked long and hard at Skoda which would mean we could stay with them and the Yeti is a great one for when we downsize one day, but that's not quite yet.

So, as for the thread topic, I'd be picketing Dearborn, not Broadmeadows! "One Ford" doesn't work for us.

Edit: PS hint to Ford USA - you should have put aside American chauvinism and taken the Territory over there and worked with that as a global model rather than the Edge. I can't forgive you for killing the Territory.

Last edited by new2ford; 20-01-2015 at 10:10 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #139
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's equally amazing how many families with three little ones aren't buying Falcon/ Commodore...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #140
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
It's equally amazing how many families with three little ones aren't buying Falcon/ Commodore...
Yes it is, but hang around the carpark of a childcare or school and see how they adapt to the situation (e.g. by less conveniently using the third row as well). Or even worse, they tip the oldest infant out of a seat even though they're too small to do that yet.

Many, maybe most car buyers don't consider their purchase in a very informed way and I guess manufacturers trade on that apathy to a large degree and don't feel the need to try too hard in the design department. And unfortunately the customers are often happy to accept second-best, or don't even enquire around enough to know that it's second best. I'm not one of those.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #141
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Yes it is, but hang around the carpark of a childcare or school and see how they adapt to the situation (e.g. by less conveniently using the third row as well). Or even worse, they tip the oldest infant out of a seat even though they're too small to do that yet.

Many, maybe most car buyers don't consider their purchase in a very informed way and I guess manufacturers trade on that apathy to a large degree and don't feel the need to try too hard in the design department. And unfortunately the customers are often happy to accept second-best, or don't even enquire around enough to know that it's second best. I'm not one of those.
And this is where Ford nailed it with the Territory. They found out what buyers of family cars wanted and designed a car / SUV to suit. And yet so many keep saying Ford are making cars buyers don't want
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #142
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
And this is where Ford nailed it with the Territory. They found out what buyers of family cars wanted and designed a car / SUV to suit. And yet so many keep saying Ford are making cars buyers don't want
A flip side of that would be to say that people don't want a car that's designed for them! Look at the evidence. The Territory worked well for a while in sales but then people drifted back to Toyotas (not to mention the impractically tiny Captiva!).

Toyotas are smaller inside than their Ford equivalents and I reckon Toyota knows that and treats its Australian customers as idiots by not publishing internal dimensions in their marketing. Most people seem to fall for that.

You can access those internal dimensions in marketing in Toyota's other markets such as USA. They're all there, but in inches, so you have to convert to find out the truth. Does this tell us something about the Australian market and why so many people won't buy well-designed cars?
Old 20-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #143
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is like protesting at the open gate after the horse has bolted.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #144
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say Territory sales fell because Ford didn't do anything meaningful after launching it till SZ...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #145
thehammer

the market was crying out for a mid-sized RWD high-tech sedan and both Ford and Holden ignored it, no one was buying big sedans anymore but look at how many mid-sizers are on the roads today.

Mid-size Falcon with Ecoboost 4cyl and V8 would've appealed to both accountants and hot-rodders
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #146
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I'd say Territory sales fell because Ford didn't do anything meaningful after launching it till SZ...
this

The Territory is a great SUV but the competition has caught up. also there is much more choice nowadays which really didn't help it. Kind of sad if you ask me.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #147
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammer View Post
Mid-size Falcon with Ecoboost 4cyl
Yeah, its called Mondeo.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #148
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a protest/march is a good idea, not to try change anything but to create headlines for the Falcon that lots of people still care.

If the falcon n all it's history fades away unnoticed without any celebration or recognition from Ford Aus it won't be forgotten for a very long time.

Be good to see the last FGX XR8 roll out of the factory n park along side the fastest model from every series. A protest or whatever before than might make HQ see they need to do something for the fans.
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 03:23 AM   #149
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The new XR8 isn't for the fans?
Old 21-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #150
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
The new XR8 isn't for the fans?
Last V8 on n update that never had to go ahead. R-spec underneath, FPV's best handling product. Full leather, rvs camera, sync2 plus a few other tasteful updates without the bull**** tech a modern day muscle car doesn't require.

Under $60k drive away.

Who was the XR8 built for?
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: