Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What's more dangerous 10km over or 10km under?
10kms over is more dangerous 62 29.25%
10kms under is more dangerous 150 70.75%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #121
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

What is the point of this question? I am sorry but I see it as a no brainer.

The question is what is more dangerous, 10 over or 10 under, and this is obviously 10 over. It is a question of pure physics, the more speed, the less reaction time and the harder the hit, simple.

If you dont believe me try this, get on a bike with a speedo and ride into a wall at 20km/h (it will hurt). Then ride into the same wall at 30km/h (bet that hurts more), now if you are slow learner and still do not believe, do it again at 40km/h (enjoy the hospital visit). A car is no different, more speed equals more kinetic energy at the point of impact.

As for this idea that 10 under is more dangerous because it causes people to do stupid things to get past, grow up!

In this situation it is not the person doing 10km/h under the limit that has created a dangerous situation, it is the fool trying to pass without due care. Therefore in this situation it is not 10km under that is more dangerous, it is the ?km/h over to get past when it is not safe. We all need to remember that a speed limit is just that, a limit! It is not a required speed, 10km/h under is not unreasonable and this decision is up to the descretion of the driver. Anyone who feels they are justified to do crazy overtaking moves as a result of 10km/h needs to be stripped of their license.
Old 28-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #122
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
What is the point of this question? I am sorry but I see it as a no brainer.

The question is what is more dangerous, 10 over or 10 under, and this is obviously 10 over. It is a question of pure physics, the more speed, the less reaction time and the harder the hit, simple.

If you dont believe me try this, get on a bike with a speedo and ride into a wall at 20km/h (it will hurt). Then ride into the same wall at 30km/h (bet that hurts more), now if you are slow learner and still do not believe, do it again at 40km/h (enjoy the hospital visit). A car is no different, more speed equals more kinetic energy at the point of impact.

As for this idea that 10 under is more dangerous because it causes people to do stupid things to get past, grow up!

In this situation it is not the person doing 10km/h under the limit that has created a dangerous situation, it is the fool trying to pass without due care. Therefore in this situation it is not 10km under that is more dangerous, it is the ?km/h over to get past when it is not safe. We all need to remember that a speed limit is just that, a limit! It is not a required speed, 10km/h under is not unreasonable and this decision is up to the descretion of the driver. Anyone who feels they are justified to do crazy overtaking moves as a result of 10km/h needs to be stripped of their license.
Well said! GAME OVER.

Old 28-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #123
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well said! GAME OVER.

Not if you look at the results in the poll. No wonder I am never bored at work!
Old 28-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #124
Pete from Port
OLD BASTARD

Unfortunately there is no shortage of road rage ready strangely wired idiots on our roads. Any little thing is likely to trigger one....especially being held up in a line of traffic. If you are the front runner the acco may be right next to you....
Pete from Port is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #125
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah.. as i said earlier... its a frightening place to be on our roads with so many people with poor attitudes to other people displaying due care on the roads...........

Old 28-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #126
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Poles are not always right :
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #127
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

[QUOTE=geckoGT]What is the point of this question? I am sorry but I see it as a no brainer.

i dont do stupid things to get past but it sure as heck adds a lot to a trip overtaking all day long ,when all i want is a trip that i dont have to overtake anything bar those that require or is safer to sit at a lower speed .
i dont get angry at caravans slow trucks elderly as its their road too ,but as we would probably all agree slow vehicles would cause way more grief to people ,right or wrong than fast vehicles .answering the question of course more speed is more dangerous thats a no brainer ,but really getting sick of undertaking vehicles in the wrong lane ,etc etc etc .and from the thread from the other day the new long 90 k zone both side of gympie is a death trap, i sat on the 90 on the down trip and near got wiped out 2 many times so on the return trip today,i sat on the hundred plus like everyone else to preserve my life ...end rant
Old 28-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #128
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
i sat on the 90 on the down trip and near got wiped out 2 many times so on the return trip today,i sat on the hundred plus like everyone else to preserve my life ...end rant
So it was safer at 10k over, eh?

Unfortunately the subject question has too many interpretations, who is safer and why, conditions etc etc as discussed.

Quote:
Yeah.. as i said earlier... its a frightening place to be on our roads with so many people with poor attitudes to other people displaying due care on the roads...........
Heres another interpretation, that all people driving 10k over have poor attitudes regardless of the situation and conditions.

And the stat that says the safest speed is that what all the other vehicles are also travelling at. That means along the Monash in the road construction area where everyone except me was travelling well above the 70kph limit in that certain (70kph) section. I just kept in the left lane and let everyone else pass. Not an issue at all.

Just waiting for the mods to close this thread again as it is really pointless with many answers correct depending on the interpretation, they must be on holidays.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #129
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Monash Freeway coming home from Chadstone 3 AM no cars in sight, 4 lanes clear, and it's an 80 zone!!!, thanks to the road works being done behind a 2 foot thick concrete wall (no one there at all), tell me how doing 110 is going to cause more trouble and danger to the rest of the world, as logic dictates that going faster (130km/h +) would be fine to do so.
EVERY driving situation has to be looked at and valuated on its current situation at that point in time, back streets of Narre Warren (lots of kids) I sit on 40KM/H, Monash Freeway at 2 AM...what every I can.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #130
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
Monash Freeway coming home from Chadstone 3 AM no cars in sight, 4 lanes clear, and it's an 80 zone!!!, thanks to the road works being done behind a 2 foot thick concrete wall (no one there at all), tell me how doing 110 is going to cause more trouble and danger to the rest of the world, as logic dictates that going faster (130km/h +) would be fine to do so.
EVERY driving situation has to be looked at and valuated on its current situation at that point in time, back streets of Narre Warren (lots of kids) I sit on 40KM/H, Monash Freeway at 2 AM...what every I can.
Outbound there's a 70 zone in one section which is even more silly.

Doing well over the limit you stand a good chance of suddenly coming up to and collecting some innocent motorist doing the speed limit. Unfortunately the authorities have deemed the whole length (except the one I mentioned) at 80kph. I agree its too slow especially east of Toorak road, also that section of the Calder between Keilor Park drive and the Calder Raceway heading west. But we cant do anything about it, so we just have to grin and bear it.

But again, this and being good in kids zones is irrelevant to the poll question.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #131
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=vanman_75]
Quote:
You have just nailed some very specific circumstances where higher speed is more dangerous.

My days of deliberately running into walls on a bike are long past (they did exist though).
The real world is a much more fickle place, and there are a lot of different personalities out there.
Higher speed can save lives, just as can slower speed.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #132
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

In a 40km/h school zone 10k over is more dangerous. 10k under would be safer.

In a 110km/h zone 10k under in the right hand lane is more dangerous. 110km/h would be safer.

Last edited by JG66ME; 29-12-2008 at 09:23 AM.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #133
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is a question of pure physics, the more speed, the less reaction time and the harder the hit, simple.
But it isnt that simple. If it were, crash rates would be highest on the roads with the highest limits. They arent (not even close).

Crash risk is dependent on many factors (traffic density, exposure time, road design, speed, conditions, etc).

Quote:
A car is no different, more speed equals more kinetic energy at the point of impact.
But we're not discussing impact severity once a crash has occurred, we're discussing the risk of a crash occurring in the first place. There is a big difference (if there wasnt, who would ever dare fly anywhere?).

Quote:
10km/h under is not unreasonable and this decision is up to the descretion of the driver.
That decision should be made on the basis of what surrounding traffic is doing (including if you feel the need to go 10kmh faster).

http://www.rsconference.com/pdf/RS020113.PDF

If one driver chooses to drive well below the limit in good conditions, impeding traffic (the majority of which is doing the limit), it most certainly is the driver going slower who is posing the risk.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #134
Zephyr
Old rookie

I have always believed slower is unsafer.

Think about it.

If more people were alert and courtious, then the raods will be safer.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #135
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I have always believed slower is unsafer.

Think about it.

Ifmore people were alert and courtious, then the raods will be safer.
That magical word, IF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #136
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im totally baffled and speechless that people genuinely believe going faster than the speed limit is safer......

Old 29-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #137
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slower is fine, as long as you arent sitting real slow in the right lane on a highway. Experience 2 nights ago coming home from shopping at late night with Dad, we were sitting on 80km/h in a 100 zone and a Roo crosses the road infront of us, if we had of been going any faster, we would have hit it for sure.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #138
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Slower is fine, as long as you arent sitting real slow in the right lane on a highway. Experience 2 nights ago coming home from shopping at late night with Dad, we were sitting on 80km/h in a 100 zone and a Roo crosses the road infront of us, if we had of been going any faster, we would have hit it for sure.

By your logic, you may as well have been doing 100 the whole way, you would never have seem the Roo as it would have crossed well behind you.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #139
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10km's over is more unsafe. No brainer.

Whether some knob decides he wants to overtake a car doing 60 in a 70 zone is up to him, chances are he will do over the speed limit to overtake and if an accident occurs, it is because he is speeding, overtaking where he shouldnt have, etc. It isnt because of the other car doing a conservative speed.

Im not a speed demon on the road, i do however inch the speed limit (go over 5-10km's an hour) at my own risk, It is unsafer, the braking distance is increased, reaction time is shorter as well.

Road rage is never the person doing the legal speed limit's fault. If someone chooses to get fired up because a car isnt doing the speed limit, again it rests on his shoulders and should anything happen, he will cop the penalty.

No one will be punished for doing the right thing.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #140
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
By your logic, you may as well have been doing 100 the whole way, you would never have seem the Roo as it would have crossed well behind you.
How would we know something else wouldn't jump out infront of us at the last minute?
Quote:

Old 29-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #141
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
What the hell was the Kangaroo doing out shopping?
Look this thread has turned into a chicken & egg thread!...
There is NO truly correct answer?.. I also believe there's a thing called FATE, of which we have no control over... Apart from possibly TRYING to be careful.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #142
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to know how fast the kangaroo was going before passing judgment.......

Old 29-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #143
bd737

Quote:
Experience 2 nights ago coming home from shopping at late night with Dad, we were sitting on 80km/h in a 100 zone and a Roo crosses the road infront of us, if we had of been going any faster, we would have hit it for sure.
So that's the logic behind driving 20 kph under the limit. That's all my daily laughs accounted for.
Old 29-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #144
bd737

Accidental repost... Please delete.

Last edited by bd737; 29-12-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Accidental repost...
bd737 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #145
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd737
So that's the logic behind driving 20 kph under the limit. That's all my daily laughs accounted for.
Lots of roos around here. Three roads in particular are swarming with them. I slow down at night on those roads.

Reason 1, beter chance of seeing it
Reason 2, beter chance of slowing down and/or dodging it
Reason 3, if you do hit it, a LOT less damage to car

Guy got killed up the road not long back, hit a roo at 100km/h, came through the windscreen and the car left the road and slammed into a tree.

Its just like any other reason why you may have drive under the limit, fog, hail, heavy rain etc.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #146
bd737

What I'm laughing at echoes Falcon Coupes comment - that if Daymoe was travelling at 100kph, by his logic the roo would have passed well behind.
Old 29-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #147
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Meh, my three roo incidents all involved me slowing down to a virtual stop, crawling past the roo, only for it to jump into the side of my car.

But that's probably going off topic...
Old 29-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #148
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm, if you are on a long journey, and so is someone you do not know. Same start, same destination - lets say less than a tank of fuel distance, and identical cars, all rural driving, no other traffic.

The other guy starts 5 second before you, but stays 2% under the speed limit at all times.
There is no overtaking lane long enough to pass (this is Australia, and he is only 2kmph slower at most).

Is is safer for you to travel behind for 5 hours, or for you to exceed the speed limit enough to pass safely (5% would likely be enough), then allowing the gap between the two cars to steadily grow ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #149
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
10km's over is more unsafe. No brainer.

Whether some knob decides he wants to overtake a car doing 60 in a 70 zone is up to him, chances are he will do over the speed limit to overtake and if an accident occurs, it is because he is speeding, overtaking where he shouldnt have, etc. It isnt because of the other car doing a conservative speed.

Im not a speed demon on the road, i do however inch the speed limit (go over 5-10km's an hour) at my own risk, It is unsafer, the braking distance is increased, reaction time is shorter as well.

Road rage is never the person doing the legal speed limit's fault. If someone chooses to get fired up because a car isnt doing the speed limit, again it rests on his shoulders and should anything happen, he will cop the penalty.

No one will be punished for doing the right thing.
Really? You have researched this or just believe the BS? It has been proven that faster speeds are safer over seas, it's just that you can't make money with 'safety cameras' unless you convince people that SPEED KILLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd737
Accidental repost... Please delete.
Maybe your repost was to slow, causing the accident... lol
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #150
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Im totally baffled and speechless that people genuinely believe going faster than the speed limit is safer......
Not that it is 'safer' per se, just that it isn't necessarily 'unsafe' to do so, particularly in relation to high-standard roads outside built-up areas. Of course the physics change with increased movement, and that entails greater responsibility on part of the driver.

NB; NSW has speed 'as a factor' in around 42% of all fatal crashes, whilst not being necessarily the 'initiating factor' of a crash, such might be fog, inattention et al, or a combination of such. We continue to say 80% of crashes occure below the speed-limit, and that 0.01% of licenced P plate holders will die in a crash.

I do expect a reduction in 110km/h zones in NSW where applied to rural two-lane highways, and a reduction in the rural default maximum.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post