Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is the bulge becomung RICE
YES its becoming RICE 67 21.82%
NO all is good 240 78.18%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #121
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

I do see what you are saying and you are right to a degree but i am not changing the "shape" of my car to make it look like another....plus with your current car i would say to you why change perfection...???
Old 13-04-2007, 02:30 AM   #122
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
I do see what you are saying and you are right to a degree but i am not changing the "shape" of my car to make it look like another....plus with your current car i would say to you why change perfection...???
Changing the ''shape'' or the ''look'', we have both done the same thing, we donated parts off a GT and fitted it to our cars.
Nothing wrong with that, the GT is awesome looking car imitation is a form of flattering..
Its all good..:
PS: do your wheels have FPV centre caps?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #123
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Yes wheels are original....lets agree to disagree...Mr director... :
Old 13-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #124
mean & green
EL XR6

as long as its on a ford i dont have a problem with the "bulge" in most applications it looks great ,but on a commodore its just plain wrong!!

its like wrx bonnet scoops ! how many hyundis(cant spell) and other sh#t boxes driving around with fake ones on!!!!
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #125
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

IMO as they come from the factory, so that being BA/BF XR8 & GT's, its fine, i dont agree with them on other vehicles.... but thats just me
Old 13-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #126
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

ok thought it was just me but I asked my mates as well and we all recon the term "rice" came from the fact that it was all the stuff you see on japanese cars. As japanese ppl eat alot of rice. Saying its ricer means hes trying to make his car look like a japanese import. Therefore as the only japanese car that I can think of that has a bonnet bulge is the new 350z and you don't see aftermarket jap cars with it either its not rice.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #127
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

from wikipedia, "The word "rice" in rice burner refers to the fact that the vehicles the term was originally applied to were of Japanese origin, and the fact that rice is a staple food in East Asian cuisine. Its earliest usage is still in question, but examples include the term referring to Japanese motorcycles in the early to mid 1980s, and muscle car enthusiasts' jokes that cars from Japan used engines powered by rice alcohol." I think you just made that Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement slogan up mate.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #128
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A bonnet bulge on a 6 (or a 4) is like a padded bra.. it looks great from the outside but once you get inside you're dissapointed with what you find...
Amen, thats a great analogy.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #129
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Changing the ''shape'' or the ''look'', we have both done the same thing, we donated parts off a GT and fitted it to our cars.
Nothing wrong with that, the GT is awesome looking car imitation is a form of flattering..
Its all good..:
PS: do your wheels have FPV centre caps?
Whats your thoughts on my ute as i didnt like the seats that much compared to my GT i had so i contacted FTG and bought a Pursuit leather interior, my front and rear bars are both damaged (rear bar by police) so need to be replaced and i dont want to get fiberglass, and i know someone who might be able to get me a genuine FPV(Tornado) kit for less than a XR8 front and rear bar. Now thats a bargain i cant refuse if it happens. Once painted it will be de-badged except the Blue Oval's
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #130
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
Whats your thoughts on my ute as i didnt like the seats that much compared to my GT i had so i contacted FTG and bought a Pursuit leather interior, my front and rear bars are both damaged (rear bar by police) so need to be replaced and i dont want to get fiberglass, and i know someone who might be able to get me a genuine FPV(Tornado) kit for less than a XR8 front and rear bar. Now thats a bargain i cant refuse if it happens. Once painted it will be de-badged except the Blue Oval's
Its your car enhance it how you like, everyone has different tastes and your Ute will look like a winner..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #131
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
When I see one transplanted on some 4 cyl jap cr.p, then it will be rice. :
completly agree, its bad enough seeing them on holdens, let alone non boss engined falcons. also agree with other comments about it more for "i go hard and fast, therefore i am entitled to have the power bulge" not just for looks.
col

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #132
-=FoRdEseries=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
But has it come to a point where it can be deemed a RICE ( Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhacement ) Mod ?
There are two sides to this story,
1. 4cyclinder, and anti-BA XR8 models using the bonnet bulge
2. Xr8s using it.

The main reason why ford invented the bonnet bulge was to fit the 260kw BOSS engine inside the engine bay because it was to damn big as previously discussed. If it didnt have a bonnet bulge because ford thought it would of looked 'rice', so they would expectivly of had a smaller engine,so theoretically would be less powerful as the 260kw BOSS, thus saying that it sertainly not a 'Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhacement'

On the other hand if 4cyclinder cars had it, as previously discussed, then it would in my opinion, look rice.
-=FoRdEseries=- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #133
-=FoRdEseries=-

rice, quoted from http://www.laughatrice.com/ricerfaq.htm

''Q: What exactly is rice?

A: Everyone has their own definitions of what rice is... we generally go by the basic belief about car mods, "if it doesn't add power, its rice"

but theoretically, the bonnet bulge (but not the bulge its self) does in this case.
-=FoRdEseries=- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #134
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67

Go for it it will look sweet.

What colour stiching is in the pursuit seats?
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #135
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

BA's got colour coded stitching, BF's get silver stitching.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #136
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINO 351
this is a pic of a good mates ER8 ED with the hump. i think it looks good on any ford!

Gino
like the x series it dont run with the lines of the car so it doesnt suit imho

as for the bulge being rice
if it comes out with bulge from factory then NO
if you added it to your N/A unmod'd ride then YES

:monkes: :
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #137
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

My old 83 Mazda 929 coupe' had a bonnet bulge from factory above the carby, just to add clearance... but the problem was with what I was going to do to it before the accident, it would have required either a long bulge across the bonnet, or my prefered cohoice, cutting some long slots out for the induction piping that was to run over the top of the engine. Plans were to stick on twin webers on a custom inlet manifold and then plumb a super charger from a Toyota 2JJZE engine, run it through a small intercooler at the front, split before the engine then 2 pipes up and over into the carbies... Mind you I was also researching into making a home make injection setup for it starting with a Mega Squirt kit.

Those mods would have increased power alot more than standard, and did require donnet modifications, so i dont believe it would have been rice in this case (bonnet bulge from factory and extra mods to bonnet were rare for that car)

IMO using those cheap plastic vents on NA X and E-series look more rice than a large bonnet scoop on the WRX.
Old 15-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #138
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
Go for it it will look sweet.

What colour stiching is in the pursuit seats?
Orange stichting/lettering. it came out of a wrecked Lightning Strike Pursuit.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #139
naxh96

saw one on a green honda sedan on my way back from cunny soast today. was disgusted. the car had the shopping list on the rear glass and first impressions were rice as i passed it.
looked in the rear view as i was ahead and saw the bulge and almost choked. had to slow back down to get a better look and confirm my disgust. a sorry drive back to the goldy.
naxh96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #140
xfghia460
Starter Motor

Default Earn the bulge!!!

I have fitted a BA XR8 bonnet bulge on my XF falcon sedan. The reason for this is that its being fitted with a 460 big block with a torker II intake and a 1" spacer with a 1050 holley. The addition of the bulge has give me an extra 3 inches of clearance.
I have only recently finished my bonnet and its now in polyester.
The one thing that i have noticed and it really ****es me off, is the popularity of this conversion on cars purely for cosmetic reasons. I have seen a couple of VY SS utes and a nissan 200sx. Pretty sure they didnt need the clearence!!
Another thing is autometer cowl mounted gauges on near standard cars.
But thats for another thread!!
xfghia460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #141
majin_andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=FoRdEseries=-

A: Everyone has their own definitions of what rice is... we generally go by the basic belief about car mods, "if it doesn't add power, its rice"

but theoretically, the bonnet bulge (but not the bulge its self) does in this case.
I don't really like this definition. It implies that, for example, fitting better brakes to a car is rice.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #142
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

They add braking power - not rice.

(using the word power isn't right - performance should be used, this covers: going, stopping, cornering)

However adding 8-pot Willwood calipers while still running 175 rubber is shameful at best.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #143
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin_andrew
I don't really like this definition. It implies that, for example, fitting better brakes to a car is rice.
Bigger brakes are not rice, they serve a purpose.
Huge fake rotors on the other hand are.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #144
xr8man83
Grunt Files

deffintly shouldnt go on commodoors just the falcon eights
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #145
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=FoRdEseries=-

I seen a post in here that said;

RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhacement

I think that sums RICE up perfectly. It's a "go fast" part added to a car that doesn't make the car go any faster and looks chintzy.

The buldge on a car that doesn't need it for clearance doesn't make the car go faster (hence, Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement), however (when fitted to a FALCON) it doesn't really look chintzty.

It's a tough call whichever way you look at it.

Put it this way; if I saw an NA BA XR6 with the buldge, stripes and bonnet stickers with NO other mods, I would be inclined to call it RICE.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #146
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rice Rice Baby. Vanilla Rice wrote that I believe.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #147
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Put it this way; if I saw an NA BA XR6 with the buldge, stripes and bonnet stickers with NO other mods, I would be inclined to call it RICE.
Same with me, it is really a personal opionion. some may agree, some may not, but on more of a mehanical side,personally, if you need the clearance and dont like the look of cutting a hole in the bonnet, fair enough
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #148
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think it isnt as bad as a few NA xr6's gettin around with shakers on it...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #149
302XLS

I was considering either the bulge bonnet or a shaker as my manifold actually rubs the underside of the bonnet. I didn't want to put the bulge bonnet on as it doesn't do any sort of enhancement except for the looks. If i can get the shaker for a good price, i will put that on, although, not to add to the CAI system but leave it open so as to cool the engine compartment and intake piping, as that's where the outlet would flow the cold air perfectly over.

302XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #150
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

You guys think the bulge has gone feral. That nothing compare to the monaro scoop that now on everything except Ford. Seen it on every late model commowhore there is and now some Jap car too.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post