Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #121
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGODRIVEN
yea it's not something i want to experience again im on six tablets a day still and will most likely be on them for life they reckon
Yep, I know what you mean. I walk down the road and rattle. I'm down to 11 a day now
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #122
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is also hypnosis, which is also reportedly effective.
Forget all the Vegas shows...you are in full control.

I have never been a smoker though...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #123
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My uncle smokes and he's currently taking some "pills". That's helped him cut down a bit. Also, just recently, whenever he wants one, I make him wait 5 minutes, then the next one 10 minutes... so far I think that it's working
Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #124
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My leading had at work quit using those pills first go, said he doesn't get cravings anymore except when he get's on the PI** .

Thou since he stopped smoking I did notice he seems to snack allot always got a pocket full of mini mars bars or howing down on a apple LOL

I think it all comes down to your motivation to quit, funnest thing was when my supervisor tried to quit, So he switched to "Light's" to ease himself off..... Went from smoking a pack a day to 2 packs a day LMAO
Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #125
capthowdy

I gave up smoking with help of champax works well but as said you have to be willing to quit
its been over 2 months now started at 93kg am now 106kg
will have to start doin something about the weight now

Last edited by capthowdy; 09-07-2009 at 04:03 AM.
capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #126
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

I smoked for over 20 years and never once tried to quit until Dec last year. Went to the Doctor, got the Champix and went for it.
It was hard, theres no doubt, what made it much harder though (and still does) was that my wife quit with me, but she only lasted about 3 weeks and was back smoking again, but I stuck to it and after the 3 months I was good to go, not a single puff since.
I have put on a bit of weight though, about 10kg in 10 months, and now its time to lose it. Ive started on one of those shake diets (another first time ever) and wow, its almost as hard to do as quitting smoking was, but im determined to get the weight off. :ticking:
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #127
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBXR
Ok hate to tell you guys, but the Admin guys will shut this forum down.... as it's not about "fords" .... they shut down a forum yesterday about "Vegemite" because it was not about fords?
it would be pretty silly to shut down a thread which promotes a better lifestyle, and one that offers advice on how to quit for those that want to stop smoking and are in need of some advice or encouragement, and as the thread is in the correct area of the forum there is no reason why it should be closed.
Old 21-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #128
zdcol71
zdcol71

Just picked up on this thread, at 6 pages long it's obvious it's a great topic.
I started smoking as a 13 year old and gave up 2 yrs 6 mths ago (I am now 50) and wish I had never started. Also wish everyone trying to quit could do so as easily as I did, in the end. Common thread to the replies here is "you have to know you want to" and I guess most of us know we want to .
I crushed my last pack and said no more and have not had a smoke since,no patches, pills, hypno,... just a pros and cons list. Try a list, be honest, and you'll realise "no contest" Good luck!!

Ps I put on 20 kilos in that 2 1/2 years but that is now my next challenge!!
Old 21-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #129
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I smoked a packet a day for 15 years, , , went for the Champix..

Worked a treat....... but you have to "WANT" to quit.

Oh I also stopped drinking beer and going out to pubs / clubs at the same time.

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #130
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i quit smoking.....oh wait, I don't smoke.. tobacco. (unless its green) and only on 'SPECIAL' occasions :P

i cannot stand people smoking around me(tobacco), i am glad my gf doesn't smoke, the smell on their breath makes me wanna wither like a plant.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #131
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Simple, I just stopped buying them.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #132
dazz1987

i had been thinking about quitting for quite some time until one morning i woke up and just realised i wanted to kick the habit, threw the pack of smokes away and went cold turkey! found it really really hard at first but definately the right choice to make... obviously. put on about 10 kilos in a year though and stopped smoking for about 18 months. However joined the military and started again..
dazz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #133
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I just had a thought, the tax hike from smokes, why can't it go back to the tax payers each year on tax returns, so the government don't spend it on their wonderful holidays/alco parties etc. and it would then be still some form of deterrent...??
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #134
Ibrox90
Banned

My old man quit a few times then started again.........then got cancer so yer that sorta makes you stop

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #135
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I quit for good the lastime after many failures over years, and even posted it on here that I was on a roll and not smoking anymore when I did quit for good.
A few years down the track now and I'm still a non-smoker ( I don't even consider them anymore at all ). A few years has passed since then and I feel great compared to back then. In the end I just convinced myself that I had had enough and did it cold turkey. cheers

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #136
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Ok, so hubby and I both went and saw the Doc Monday and both got prescriptions for Champix. Been taking them since Monday (went straight to the chemist) and am just starting the two a day section today. I am setting next Monday as my day that I want to be completely off them.

So far though so good as I am not feeling the urge for one anywhere near as often and am determined that combined with willpower this WILL work!

On a side note though, I am slightly concerned about taking the meds, as I know alot of people have had bad reactions to them (depression, suicide etc), thus far I have been having some weird dreams, and touch wood that will be it. Hubby and I will keep a close eye on each other for any changes.

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #137
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I quit a year ago using hypno....I don't feel any better healthwise through not smoking but do not have the urge to restart.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #138
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Ive been on patches for 2 weeks and the gum ....
the first few days , if i had a smoke, was making me very ill...now i can smoke and no effecteven wioth the patches on... I have cut down from 30 a day to about 10 ..but i need either hypno ( can anyone recommend someone in Sydney ???) or cold turkey..and i think im to weak for cold turkey...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #139
AustinA40
Tourer

Do you bot them from friends now?
Just joking, reformed smoker

Last edited by AustinA40; 18-03-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Message not under JAZSXY
AustinA40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #140
AustinA40
Tourer

Default Jazsxy

Do you bot them from your friends now?
Just joking, reformed smoker for 23 years.
AustinA40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #141
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had hypno/NLP last saturday morning. Havnt really had any problems. Feel great!!
Wasnt cheap but will pay for itself very fast.

Need a Windscreen? www.windscreensmelbourne.com.au
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #142
blue1
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Go and buy a book called Allan Carr's Easy Guide to Quit Smoking - it has worked for 5 out of 6 of my friends and myself, and I swear by it.

$26 bucks - what have you got to lose

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9780141026893
Thats deffinatly the way to go its gang busters
blue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #143
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Go and buy a book called Allan Carr's Easy Guide to Quit Smoking - it has worked for 5 out of 6 of my friends and myself, and I swear by it.

$26 bucks - what have you got to lose

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9780141026893

I'm half way through it. I am starting to look at things a little differently.
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #144
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
made the same sorta deal with myself ,i get six days off every ten from work and that started this morning .day1 for me today in giving up ,starting to lose my breath more the older i get ,see how i go and good luck .
gotta say cold turkey is the only way that has worked ...with my above statement i failed that time but by august i woke up 1 morning and said stuff it im not buying anymore , and now i am more than 7 months since i gave up .

different methods work for different people ,in a work crew of 40 odd, blokes are giving up all the time using one way or another but not many stay given up..its a terrible addiction .but i am very proud of myself and even though i have the odd craving i really dont care for smokes anymore

and as a bonus a guy at work in his early 40s gave up as soon as i went to work and i wasnt smoking ...(40 plus a day for me ) he reckoned if i could give up anyone can ,he smoked as much as me ...so it has taken this long for a repost because of past failure ,....but not anymore .
the best part for me is getting my lungs back in some sort of shape which is happening ,getting my senses back ..taste and smell. and a major one was bad circulation that i had is gone, had bad lumps in my legs all gone .

my final thing is no method will work unless you really want to give up ...yes i know i love cigarettes and they were something i really enjoyed ..but finally reality has kicked in and said they are killing me ..get it in your head thats what they are doing and it may be your saving grace ..anyway good luck for those still trying ..keep it up .
Old 21-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #145
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Ive been on patches for 2 weeks and the gum ....
the first few days , if i had a smoke, was making me very ill...now i can smoke and no effecteven wioth the patches on... I have cut down from 30 a day to about 10 ..but i need either hypno ( can anyone recommend someone in Sydney ???) or cold turkey..and i think im to weak for cold turkey...

I used this guy for hypno. It cost $350 for two sessions

http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy.net.au/
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #146
G6E Turbo 2

I started smoking 1 pack a day at 14 then more a day until at 21
I gave up cold turkey when they went to $ 1.00 per pack
in the Govt budget speach
That was 31 years ago, Still not smoking
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #147
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Well after a week so far on the Champix, today is the day, NO MORE SMOKING!! Over the weekend I had already cut down to about 2 a day and even they were had begrudgingly. I'm feeling very positive this time.

Side effects thus far: Weird dreams, Friday thought I was having a heart attack at 31 (:-( apparently withdrawls from cutting down so quick), and this morning after 1st 1mg tablet thought I was going to hurl everywhere. But hey the rewards out way everything I think.

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #148
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Thread mine: I am now into week two without a smoke, I am on the nicabate 4mg lozenges and they work amazingly. I take one every 3 or so hours and it kills any craving I get. Already the saved money is evident! My work pays half the cost of the lozenges too, some program they have going on. It's pretty cool. I am finding it quite easy, easier than my botched attempt last year where I lasted 5 days. The girl I'm seeing is what prompted my quit; I was driving her home puffing on a smoke, and I started coughing and did not stop for about a minute. She was shocked and asked if it was normal. I replied yeah, happens all the time. When we got to her house she gave me a look that could have broken your heart. "please, I want you to quit smoking." so I did. Contacted all my mates and asked them not to offer me any and to please support me while I quit. Got the lozenges and haven't looked back. Life is looking up!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #149
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

heya people.. i used to smoke 12mg of kaka, cut down the mg's...gradually..
from 12's/to 8's/ to 4's/ to 1's. they took a few packs in between but i got used to them, to the point the 1's were ripping my throat..
the next thing i did also was tried to smoke when i was sick and it made me sick to the point it turned me off a bit..
and..the most important part of the process is that i didn't drink for a while...cause i used to love having jd's and smoko's ..
i have not smoked since april last year. whenever i clean out ashtrays at work or serve customers with ash breath, they really stink man!!!
my appetite increased a bit but i think cause i love food..???lol..
and i can smell better too..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #150
TheGTCoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About 28 years ago i just threw my packet of rollies in the bin and that was it. Sure the craving was there, but just fight it, do something else, maybe chew gum for a bit. I remember a few months later i coughed up this brown ****, like solid brown strips about 1mm wide and 6mm long. Anyway after 10 years i saw how absolutely stupid smoking was - it made about as much sense as sucking on an exhaust pipe. DO IT!.. you'll never look back! Goodluck!
TheGTCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post