Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #121
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford Falcon four-cylinder..(My CommentHere We Go AGAIN!! This the last Falcon in OZ!!

The Ecoboost Falcon ticks a lot of boxes and should should almost equal the fuel economy of the Ecoboost Mondeo.

With all the talk of Falcon going to a FWD platform, Ecoboost Falcon sends a clear message to Ford senior management
and to sections of the Australian motoring press that their preconceived notions about the inevitability of FWD isn't so.

It's so funny to read articles praising the Ecoboost Falcon's fuel economy but then go waffling on about it's supposed demise.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #122
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: Ford Falcon four-cylinder..(My CommentHere We Go AGAIN!! This the last Falcon in OZ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The Ecoboost Falcon ticks a lot of boxes and should should almost equal the fuel economy of the Ecoboost Mondeo.

With all the talk of Falcon going to a FWD platform, Ecoboost Falcon sends a clear message to Ford senior management
and to sections of the Australian motoring press that their preconceived notions about the inevitability of FWD isn't so.

It's so funny to read articles praising the Ecoboost Falcon's fuel economy but then go waffling on about it's supposed demise.....
Well, the EcoBoost Mondeo is at 8.0L/100km so it would be terrific if the Falcon could match that figure.

The biggest benefit will be the around town number where the fuel economy improvement will be really noticed. The highway consumption will improve too, enough most likely from the current 7.2L/100km of the 4.0L Orion engine to be able to extract 1000km range from the 68L tank Get out of town!

Who knows, if the turbo 4 really takes off, then maybe the engines in the NEXT Falcon might end up being I4T, V6LPi, V6TD and V8/V8SC.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #123
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think Dearborn is paying very close attention to how the EBI4T is going to go in the Falcon...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #124
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Out of interest does anyone know how the EB Mondeo's real-life consumption figures stack up compared to the official reading? Is it realistic or is it SIDI-istic?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #125
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Talked the missus into it last night... when I mentioned it was only going to be a 4 cylinder she went "oh... really", but then mentioned turbo, potential fuel economy and much better running costs than the Paj and she said we'll see how we are situated when it comes out. I did also mention EcoLPI but she wasn't interested in the insurance and rego costs associated with having a 6 cylinder.

Let's face it guys, Ford are entering a new era and it's going to be great from them. Hell, if I can get a female interested in the new Ford product then it's gotta be good, doesn't it?
Old 14-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #126
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Talked the missus into it last night... when I mentioned it was only going to be a 4 cylinder she went "oh... really", but then mentioned turbo, potential fuel economy and much better running costs than the Paj and she said we'll see how we are situated when it comes out. I did also mention EcoLPI but she wasn't interested in the insurance and rego costs associated with having a 6 cylinder.

Let's face it guys, Ford are entering a new era and it's going to be great from them. Hell, if I can get a female interested in the new Ford product then it's gotta be good, doesn't it?
Good stuff.

It's clearly a great alternative - large car that is perfect for nearly all conditions in Australia, and great economy.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #127
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Hypothetical:
Ecoboost Falcon gets a great response form the public, Ford goes to the government and says
that if they could get $100 million, they could take another 60 Kg out of the Falcon and go close to
1580 Kg and like Euro mondeo, use a GEN 2 EB 1.6 with stop start and achieve 5.5 l/100 km....
Old 14-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #128
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Out of interest does anyone know how the EB Mondeo's real-life consumption figures stack up compared to the official reading? Is it realistic or is it SIDI-istic?
Our Titanium Ecoboost in town driving is getting 11.1L/100 at the moment. It only has 1500km on it so far, so hope it will get better as it loosens up. That said the BA Futura 4.0 inline six it replaced was doing the exact same 11.1 in the exact same town driving. So at the moment, Ecoboost hasnt shown any benifit to us.
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #129
cartaa100
FG POWER

hey guys alot of comments on here are saying things like with the new kuga and mondeo and focus sales strong its good for ford aus.

i was under more of an opinion that the only actual profits are made from the falc and terri? do the profits made from the euro fords stay in aus?

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #130
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
hey guys alot of comments on here are saying things like with the new kuga and mondeo and focus sales strong its good for ford aus.

i was under more of an opinion that the only actual profits are made from the falc and terri? do the profits made from the euro fords stay in aus?
Price transferring is illegal, just ask Toyota.
While the manufacturing regions keeps the bulk of the profit, there's still some meat on the bones.....

And Holden went to the trouble of developing an Omega trimmed LHD Caprice so that
they could sell a $65,00 Aussie car in the USA for $30,000, does that sound daft?

Last edited by jpd80; 14-12-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #131
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Price transferring is illegal, just ask Toyota.
While the manufacturing regions keeps the bulk of the profit, there's still some meat on the bones.....

And Holden went to the trouble of developing an Omega trimmed LHD Caprice so that
they could sell a $65,00 Aussie car in the USA for $30,000, does that sound daft?

ah thats good then!! they obvs cut cost to get to that price id say by just chucking the v8 in there and giving them an omega spec caprice, kind of off topic but what did toyota do regarding profit transferring feel free to pm me if to off topic

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #132
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
kind of off topic but what did toyota do regarding profit transferring
Check out this LINK

With FGII at the door and Ecoboost to hit in March, that should give Ford the fresh start they deserve for 2012..
Old 14-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #133
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Our Titanium Ecoboost in town driving is getting 11.1L/100 at the moment. It only has 1500km on it so far, so hope it will get better as it loosens up. That said the BA Futura 4.0 inline six it replaced was doing the exact same 11.1 in the exact same town driving. So at the moment, Ecoboost hasnt shown any benifit to us.
Doesnt suprise me, real world EcoBoost arnt good, better off with diesel.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #134
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
More like, its a brand new car, and I am sure they are 'excited' to be driving it.

Give it time...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #135
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Almost half of the current F150s are powered by Ecoboost V6 engines and if fuel consumption
wasn't considerably better than the 5.0 V8, those sales would collapse overnight....
Old 15-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #136
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EcoBoost F150 can easily get over 20mpg highway. My 5.4 3 valve V8 will get about 17-18 highway, and 13 around town. The EcoBoost also blows my V8 away, after driving the EB, mine feels absolutely gutless, and it isn't. Ford got it right with the EcoBoost.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #137
z80
Banned

To say that the last 4 cyl australian built family sized car was the VC commodore with a starfire 4 engine is either a sensationalist journalistic lie or written by someone who has no idea of the australian manufacturing history.

The Nissan skyline R31 was locally built in 4 cyl form and badged as the Pintara.

Damned good full sized car for its day, fuel injection, 4 disks, air con in all models, power steering...and plenty still on the road.

If the journalist wasn't so wet behind the ears he would also have quoted the various 4 cyl magnas manufactured and built in local foundries right up till 2001.

It sounds like they are looking to sink the boots in to anything that says "4 cylinder australian car".

The last time the journalists bagged an Australian manufactured car they killed off Mitsubishi's 380 through sheer prejudice.

The Aussie car journalistic scene needs a good "barbed wire pull through".

Between their legs would be the best starting point.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #138
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can I ask where you are getting this from??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #139
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
To say that the last 4 cyl australian built family sized car was the VC commodore with a starfire 4 engine is either a sensationalist journalistic lie or written by someone who has no idea of the australian manufacturing history.

The Nissan skyline R31 was locally built in 4 cyl form and badged as the Pintara.

Damned good full sized car for its day, fuel injection, 4 disks, air con in all models, power steering...and plenty still on the road.

If the journalist wasn't so wet behind the ears he would also have quoted the various 4 cyl magnas manufactured and built in local foundries right up till 2001.

It sounds like they are looking to sink the boots in to anything that says "4 cylinder australian car".

The last time the journalists bagged an Australian manufactured car they killed off Mitsubishi's 380 through sheer prejudice.

The Aussie car journalistic scene needs a good "barbed wire pull through".

Between their legs would be the best starting point.
The Pintara wasn't a large car, and I don't think it was based on the R31 Skyline either, it was smaller car than that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #140
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Pintara wasn't a large car, and I don't think it was based on the R31 Skyline either, it was smaller car than that.
Hmmm...them's fighting words mate...

The 1987-2001 R31 Pintara was the exact same chassis as the R31 skyline with the exception of the 2.0L CA20e engine instead of the 3.0L RB30e engine as used in the VL Commodore.

Both were rear wheel drives.

The CA20e featured 8 spark plugs in a 4 cyl package it was well received in the Fleet community.
Old 15-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #141
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the Ecoboost Falcon a 21st century Cortina, a third car line without all the unnecessary changes?
Old 15-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #142
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The EcoBoost F150 can easily get over 20mpg highway. My 5.4 3 valve V8 will get about 17-18 highway, and 13 around town. The EcoBoost also blows my V8 away, after driving the EB, mine feels absolutely gutless, and it isn't. Ford got it right with the EcoBoost.
You're also talking US gallons too. 20MPG in the US is equivalent too 11.82L/100km. So if it goes better than 20MPG using the US gallons it will get better than 11.82L/100km or maybe down to low 11's mid to high 10's per 100km. Not bad for a car that weighs around 20 tonnes. A slight exaggeration their.

I wonder what the V6 Ecoboost would get in a Falcon. 8L/100km????????????
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #143
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Hmmm...them's fighting words mate...

The 1987-2001 R31 Pintara was the exact same chassis as the R31 skyline with the exception of the 2.0L CA20e engine instead of the 3.0L RB30e engine as used in the VL Commodore.

Both were rear wheel drives.

The CA20e featured 8 spark plugs in a 4 cyl package it was well received in the Fleet community.
You're right, for the first generation, which was based on Skyline with RWD.

I was thinking of the second gen Pintara which was based on Bluebird with FWD.

Basically 2 different cars with the same name.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #144
z80
Banned

I'll bet a slab that it will be around 10L/100km in real world highway driving.
Old 15-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #145
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
You're also talking US gallons too. 20MPG in the US is equivalent too 11.82L/100km. So if it goes better than 20MPG using the US gallons it will get better than 11.82L/100km or maybe down to low 11's mid to high 10's per 100km. Not bad for a car that weighs around 20 tonnes. A slight exaggeration their.

11.7 litres/100km combined, just like the XR6T gets now.
Old 15-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #146
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Is the Ecoboost Falcon a 21st century Cortina, a third car line without all the unnecessary changes?
This is why I have the belief that it should have been a car with a different name (Fusion) and different styling to the Falcon to make it like a 3rd car line - making two car lines out of essentially one, as per Toyota with the Camry and Aurion.

That way they could have dropped the XT and G6, let the Ecoboost car pick up the market segment for buyers there, and the Falcon range could have been condensed into the XR's and G6E series, which is where the profits (and buyer interest) is these days with Falcons.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #147
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I would put a large sum of money on that, and say "easy!" I would also go as far as saying with the same tune as the F150, 0-100 km/h in around 5.0-5.5.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #148
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
This is why I have the belief that it should have been a car with a different name (Fusion) and different styling to the Falcon to make it like a 3rd car line - making two car lines out of essentially one, as per Toyota with the Camry and Aurion.
Baby steps, let's be glad that Ford has an efficient four cylinder Falcon,
what you're asking for would have taken precious funding from other
projects like FG II updates, EcoLPI and diesel Territory...MONEY.

Quote:
That way they could have dropped the XT and G6, let the Ecoboost car pick up the market segment for buyers there, and the Falcon range could have been condensed into the XR's and G6E series, which is where the profits (and buyer interest) is these days with Falcons.
Or we could watch and see a very fresh and good looking XT pick up significant fleet sales
with EcoLPI while Ecoboost XT and G Series are aimed at mid and high series Camry/Mazda ect..
Old 15-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #149
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I would put a large sum of money on that, and say "easy!" I would also go as far as saying with the same tune as the F150, 0-100 km/h in around 5.0-5.5.
Woohoo. That's what we're talking about. I wonder what it would get in the Territory, and what it would do to 100kmh.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #150
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I'll bet a slab that it will be around 10L/100km in real world highway driving.
is that a slab of my choice or whatever you give me? i suggest you prepare for a trip to the local.

10L/100km may be realistic for urban, but if the 6cyl can achieve 8L/100km on the highway (fully loaded 4 people and luggage mine did 7.9) i'd think the ecoboost will be well below 10 for extra urban.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post