Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #121
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Default Re: Check your Stop lights - Or else !! Why read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
comply or meet?
if they meet them, don't they then comply with them?

so your saying fitting a spoiler means the Brake light ADR can be overlooked?
Thet say they meet the adr standard, what they dont say is they have never been tested. They do not comply because part of the compliance is crash testing and haning a compliance certificate. Go ask the likes of ARB if a compliance certificate can be supplied all you will gget is a letter from that it meets the standard, but how do you know. Some aftermarket sell cheap headlights from overseas where the drive on the left side of the road, so the lights are for left hand drive and dont meet ADR.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #122
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

ok, now I know what you meant and agree with you, I did not understand your previous post

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #123
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Hmm, I'll have to check my brother's old Vectra - pretty sure he has both bootlid spoiler and parcel shelf centre stop lights (completely stock btw). Did the ADRs change after the turn of the century?
A car only has to have 2 brake lights and they have to be working. If a car has 3 or more they have to be working. So if yhe car came with 3 or 4 brake lights from factory all of them have to work. If you remove the spoiler with the light then it can be deemed defective. My point is if there 2 of 3 working then the car is safe. If you were to challange this you wiuld have a strong argument and most likley be granted a 556A.proved, no conviction.
Old 21-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #124
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be happy if they booked all the idiots using their fog lights as that's also an offence a lot of people couldn't give a stuff about ****** me off the number of people who do it. As for brake lights that is a safety matter and many people nevr check them....ever.
GT450

Last edited by GasoLane; 21-02-2016 at 07:24 PM.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #125
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My work has Corporate RAA coverage on our cars, this includes blown globe replacements.
One day I was driving home and called them to book a globe change for the following morning when id be at the office. RAA chick said ABSOLUTELY NOT, its a roadworthy issue, we will come to you tonight to fix it.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #126
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
My work has Corporate RAA coverage on our cars, this includes blown globe replacements.
One day I was driving home and called them to book a globe change for the following morning when id be at the office. RAA chick said ABSOLUTELY NOT, its a roadworthy issue, we will come to you tonight to fix it.
Cool stuff
Old 21-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #127
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
I'd be happy if they booked all the idiots using their fog lights as that's also an offence a lot of people couldn't give a stuff about ****** me off the number of people who do it. As for brake lights that is a safety matter and many people nevr check them....ever.
GT450
Is it just a preference that you don't like fog lights on other cars? Because they certainly don't shine or direct anywhere near the lvl that headlights do! In fact spotlights are required to beam below the headlight beam range. So even over a steep rise it's near impossible to affect another drivers vision with forlights. Personally I get angry about people not using their blinkers or cutting me off.....certainly not things that don't effect me. Brake lights are obviously dangerous but as mentioned....surely a polite word is all that's needed on such a easy to miss defect!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #128
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a cop warn me about lights before (the globe went while i was driving, were definately working when i left earlier in the day, as i'm pedantic about all my lights working).

They didn't pull me over, just pulled up next to me at the lights (both our windows down) and said to check them. Turns out a blown globe made both of the 'driving' lights not work. I always have globes, so pulled over up the street and fixed it.

Semi related, had a headlight blow today (only keep headlight spares at home due to the size of the box). Noticed straight away from the reflection of cars in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Not all that many years ago people would pull up beside you at the lights and tell you, that you had a light out. Nowadays nobody is game because of road rage ect, and how some nutter might react when you try to help them.
I told a guy about his lights once, as his lights were competely not working (no brake lights, no driving lights, but headlights on). He said thanks. Saw him about two weeks later, still hadn't fixed them (obviously didnt care).
Quite dangerous as it was always driving at dawn when i saw him, so quite low light when his trip would have started.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #129
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I've had a cop warn me about lights before (the globe went while i was driving, were definately working when i left earlier in the day, as i'm pedantic about all my lights working).

They didn't pull me over, just pulled up next to me at the lights (both our windows down) and said to check them. Turns out a blown globe made both of the 'driving' lights not work. I always have globes, so pulled over up the street and fixed it.

Semi related, had a headlight blow today (only keep headlight spares at home due to the size of the box). Noticed straight away from the reflection of cars in front of me.

I told a guy about his lights once, as his lights were competely not working (no brake lights, no driving lights, but headlights on). He said thanks. Saw him about two weeks later, still hadn't fixed them (obviously didnt care).
Quite dangerous as it was always driving at dawn when i saw him, so quite low light when his trip would have started.
You just cant help some tools.
Old 21-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #130
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd be happy if they booked all the idiots using their fog lights as that's also an offence a lot of people couldn't give a stuff about ****** me off the number of people who do it.
GT450
Around here we went through the Fog light phase around 2010-2012.
These days not many people use fog lights inappropriately unless it's Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.
Honestly I don't find it that annoying. People with rear fog lights on inappropriately are a million times worse than front fog lights.
You are not forced to stare at approaching cars with fog lights on, you pretty much have to if you are following them and they have rear ones on.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #131
1TUFFUTE
Banned

We see "front" fog lights on all the time. Police cars included! A lot of soccer mum cars use them around schools as they feel safer being able to be noticed more(after asking some friends with kids). I think they're faaaar safer then the shiny drls!
I had my fog lights on the other night and got pulled over for random breath testing,officer said nothing....the guy in front of me had a large trailer and none of his lights worked....to the point I had to mash the brakes so as not to go near him as my attention was on the police who'd just stepped in front of him!

So I tell the officer his lights aren't working and he just shrugs and waves me thru...... Funny thing was I look up and he's being pulled aside for DUI. All that bloke needed was drugs for a hatrick
Old 22-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #132
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem with "fog lights" is ignorant people think OEM bumper mounted driving lights (not DRLs) are also fog lights, and drive around blinding others with them, blissfully unaware, or too full of their own self-importance to care.

There is a very distinct difference with fog lights compared to driving lights, in the beam pattern, and cutoff height, but they don't care that they're effectively driving along with lights that shine directly at oncoming traffic.

Where fog lights are annoying, is on a really wet road, when the beam bounces back up off the surface water & into oncoming traffic.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #133
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Is it just a preference that you don't like fog lights on other cars? Because they certainly don't shine or direct anywhere near the lvl that headlights do! In fact spotlights are required to beam below the headlight beam range. So even over a steep rise it's near impossible to affect another drivers vision with forlights. Personally I get angry about people not using their blinkers or cutting me off.....certainly not things that don't effect me. Brake lights are obviously dangerous but as mentioned....surely a polite word is all that's needed on such a easy to miss defect!
I have them on both my cars and use them as intended and I don't need to confront idiots using them as quasi headlights . During the daytime no problem but when added to headlights in certain situations they just create more glare for oncoming drivers , that's my gripe. There are laws that govern the use of them too and that was my point, if the police are going to be pedantic about brake lights why nof these too. But then they miss people who don't indicate or those that indicate when they are already in the turn lane so I suppose you can't have everything.
Booking someone for a non operating stoplight when a warning would suffice is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Just my opinion.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #134
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
or those that indicate when they are already in the turn lane
You are aware you must indicate until your move is completed right? So merging lanes, once you're completely in the lane. For turning lanes, once you're completely around the corner...

You're not meant to turn the indicator off once you're in the turning lane......

Unless i misinterpreted your post to mean something else?
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #135
Mondaveo

Quote:
Hmm, I'll have to check my brother's old Vectra - pretty sure he has both bootlid spoiler and parcel shelf centre stop lights (completely stock btw). Did the ADRs change after the turn of the century?
Just for completeness. So I was wrong in my recollection, it has a high-mounted rear window light (as opposed to parcel-shelf mounted). So no light is obscured by the spoiler, it does have two centre stop lights though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
A car only has to have 2 brake lights and they have to be working. If a car has 3 or more they have to be working. So if yhe car came with 3 or 4 brake lights from factory all of them have to work. If you remove the spoiler with the light then it can be deemed defective. My point is if there 2 of 3 working then the car is safe. If you were to challange this you wiuld have a strong argument and most likley be granted a 556A.proved, no conviction.
Thanks for that info. So you're saying that if the spoiler with 4th light is removed (and he's considered doing this, because of the peeling paint) the car can be deemed defective? How would they know, since it will then conform to the appearance of a standard sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #136
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Just for completeness. So I was wrong in my recollection, it has a high-mounted rear window light (as opposed to parcel-shelf mounted). So no light is obscured by the spoiler, it does have two centre stop lights though.

Thanks for that info. So you're saying that if the spoiler with 4th light is removed (and he's considered doing this, because of the peeling paint) the car can be deemed defective? How would they know, since it will then conform to the appearance of a standard sedan?
The cop would have to know about it. If he knows there should be another brake light then he can write it up, most of them wouldn' t have a clue. Doubt they would stop him if he had 2 working.
Old 23-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #137
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
I have them on both my cars and use them as intended and I don't need to confront idiots using them as quasi headlights . During the daytime no problem but when added to headlights in certain situations they just create more glare for oncoming drivers , that's my gripe. There are laws that govern the use of them too and that was my point, if the police are going to be pedantic about brake lights why nof these too. But then they miss people who don't indicate or those that indicate when they are already in the turn lane so I suppose you can't have everything.
Booking someone for a non operating stoplight when a warning would suffice is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Just my opinion.
GT450
Pretty sure the last time this was raised it was clarified that the reason fog lights are illegal is because they "distract" people. The exact definition many around the world apply to DRLS day or night! It's therefore debatable whether fog lights are dangerous at all, let alone more dangerous then Drls ....and not just shining off the road in the raineither (headlights do this anyway,BUT fogs are angled down so much ud have to be within metres....therefore sticking your head out the window to see glare). But hey the laws the law right!
Old 23-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #138
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
cops don't reckon it, the Australian Design Rules for the car dictate it.
Back in the day—but after ADRs were introduced in January 1969—the cops would use what's called their discretionary powers to decide whether or not to issue a warning, or write up a defect notice. Nowadays, our government is so keen to increase the state coffers by any means fair or foul that this more than fair practice has long ceased.

I also note an ongoing debate about smoked taillight lenses; do they comply with ADRs? Not even the cops seem to know. The relevant ADRs only state that the taillights must be visible for 200m and the stop lights for 30m. And that's it.
Old 23-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #139
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Back in the day—but after ADRs were introduced in January 1969—the cops would use what's called their discretionary powers to decide whether or not to issue a warning, or write up a defect notice. Nowadays, our government is so keen to increase the state coffers by any means fair or foul that this more than fair practice has long ceased.

I also note an ongoing debate about smoked taillight lenses; do they comply with ADRs? Not even the cops seem to know. The relevant ADRs only state that the taillights must be visible for 200m and the stop lights for 30m. And that's it.
Showion your age
Old 30-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #140
Magee

Today I saw a Commodore Police Car today travelling down Grimshaw St Greensborough, just down from the Police Station and it brought back memories of this post.

As it approached Greensborough Highway the car braked and I could see the right stop light the centre stop light but definitely no left hand stop lamp working.

Just goes to show a blown stop tail light can effect anyone and it would not be noticed unless you check everyday or some nice person tells you that it is out.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #141
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
Just goes to show a blown stop tail light can effect anyone and it would not be noticed unless you check everyday or some nice person tells you that it is out.
Pulled up beside a territory at the lights the other morning - only the centre brake light working. Buzzed the window down, called out to the "lady" driving it to tell her, and got a "mind your own f&^%ing business" agro response. Made me think twice about whether I'll bother in the future.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #142
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Helps me if people tell me a brake light is out as I park outside. You need something reflective to give you an inkling that 1 may be out.

On another note, on way to work today, Policeman bold as brass on Mobile to ear making right turn from Smith st into Alexander Pde
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #143
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I find it rather odd in this day and age with all the electronics, warnings and onboard diagnostics, that many newer cars still don't give you any indication on the dash that you have a blown tail, brake or signal globe.

Many Mercedes, Volvo, BMW and Saab's have had these dash warning alerts since the early 2000's.

Surely, it is not costly to implement for car makers, since this technology and associated electronics are cheap and have been around for 17 years?

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 30-11-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #144
Kil4Collingwood

cops would have a field day up here in shepparton, every second car is running with no tail lights whatsoever.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #145
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I find it rather odd in this day and age with all the electronics, warnings and onboard diagnostics, that many newer cars still don't give you any indication on the dash that you have a blown tail, brake or signal globe.

Many Mercedes, Volvo, BMW and Saab's have had these dash warning alerts since the early 2000's.

Surely, it is not costly to implement for car makers, since this technology and associated electronics are cheap and have been around for 17 years?
My Volvo keeps telling me I have a blown courtesy lamp in the right hand external mirror.
I wish the car would learn that I don't bloody care.

Years ago cops pulled me over at dusk to tell me the tail lights weren't on in the Cobra.
Quick check and sure enough a blown fuse. Plod asked me to go straight home as it was getting dark.
Replaced the fuse next morning.

Modern coppers go to ******** school before graduating.
It never used to be like this.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #146
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
On another note, on way to work today, Policeman bold as brass on Mobile to ear making right turn from Smith st into Alexander Pde

He's legally allowed to do that, if it is to do with his dutues

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #147
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I carry spare globes; I wonder if they would give you the chance to change in a spare or still issue the sticker.
Old 30-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #148
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in favour of it. One brake light or three, get the issue addressed. Following a car that I didn't know had no brake lights once cost me my pride and joy. By the time someone jumps on the brakes with no given warning at 80kmh, you register and try to adapt it can be too late. Driver of car had no idea he didn't have brake lights either.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #149
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Pulled up beside a territory at the lights the other morning - only the centre brake light working. Buzzed the window down, called out to the "lady" driving it to tell her, and got a "mind your own f&^%ing business" agro response. Made me think twice about whether I'll bother in the future.
You should've then told her she was fat and ugly, that would've trashed her day!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #150
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Collingwood View Post
cops would have a field day up here in shepparton, every second car is running with no tail lights whatsoever.
Come to the Alice, locals are lucky to have windscreens and doors