Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #151
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Fg Mk2 Online

Why must every FG2 thread be turned to babble?

This thread isn't to debate why people refer to the first iteration as a MK1.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #152
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I think the only time retail buyers will see an XT is when it's used as a loaded SR package,
something like that would take a bit of $36,990 price fatigue off the XR and G Series models.

Even though Ford has used discount XR to great effect, i feel that long term it's not good to do that.
A prettier XT could fill that role and allow Ford to move XR6 up a rung, but only if Holden plays ball....
Maybe start matching Holden's "International" with XT SR or even the old "Futura" badge for specials....
They tried with the SR SVP's and really didnt do that well with them... Maybe if they tried a bit harder they would.

Holdens SVP's are a joke, one after the other, I do not know why they don't just make the Berlina the base model...

How many other manufacturers do we see with so many variants? The old days are done and dusted, if Ford / Holden want to stay competitive they need to streamline their line ups, e.g. in the case of Ford XR6, XR6 T - G6E & G6ET, because thats pretty much all they sell now anyways, XT and G6 are redundant.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #153
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They tried with the SR SVP's and really didnt do that well with them... Maybe if they tried a bit harder they would.

Holdens SVP's are a joke, one after the other, I do not know why they don't just make the Berlina the base model...

How many other manufacturers do we see with so many variants? The old days are done and dusted, if Ford / Holden want to stay competitive they need to streamline their line ups, e.g. in the case of Ford XR6, XR6 T - G6E & G6ET, because thats pretty much all they sell now anyways, XT and G6 are redundant.
I wouldn't make such generalities, the XT of today, particularly in FGII guise is a long way better
than the 2008 FG version that graced us with steel wheels and lack of basic/expected equipment levels.

We might poo poo Holden and their endless International specials but it works,
all Ford really has is the XR6 and maybe special G series to go with from time to time,
Holden has used International (Omega), SV6 and Berlina specials to great effect and IMO,
Ford should now do the same with XT Special but call it maybe "Futura" for a bit of differentiation..

Perhaps, a low boost turbo engine in XT/G Series special, maybe 240 Kw/500nm,
something to get the blood going?
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #154
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
That plus he missed Dash GT's post on how Ford are positioning the XT. Anyway if Ford's strategies are wrong I'm pretty sure they'll consult the aff experts like they always do.

They sold 1700 odd last month, they are doing really well....

Gee I remember when FG were hitting 2500 a month and that was a crisis.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #155
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Fg Mk2 Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
This thread isn't to debate why people refer to the first iteration as a MK1.
You are correct, my apologies for asking.

I got my answer either way.

FreddyDUZ747, I didn't see it that way. Just asked a question that's all.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #156
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

The difference is that Ford is now selling 1300 odd Territorys, 80% of which are V6 diesels,
I got a real shock when our work priced an TX AWD replacement at approx $54K....
Listen Territory numbers aren't huge but the product mix is very profitable.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #157
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

in july 2002, commodore was selling 8000units, now they are what? 3500? stop being so one eyed. falcon was selling 4700. now they are 1700ish with a a couple of models only just returning to the line up!!

as an aside, corolla sold

Last edited by geckoGT; 02-11-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Last part is insulting and not needed.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #158
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I wouldn't make such generalities, the XT of today, particularly in FGII guise is a long way better
than the 2008 FG version that graced us with steel wheels and lack of basic/expected equipment levels.

We might poo poo Holden and their endless International specials but it works,
all Ford really has is the XR6 and maybe special G series to go with from time to time,
Holden has used International (Omega), SV6 and Berlina specials to great effect and IMO,
Ford should now do the same with XT Special but call it maybe "Futura" for a bit of differentiation..

Perhaps, a low boost turbo engine in XT/G Series special, maybe 240 Kw/500nm,
something to get the blood going?
Then we would have people whinging about a $45,000 XT when they can buy an XR6 Turbo for $40,000.

XT is a waste of time... The only people who buy it is government (police cars) and a handful of old timer fleets who want 16 inch alloys for country roads (thats the only reason they buy them!).

I can't see FG2 XT doing any better, Ford won't push it... If they had any idea they would price them at $32,990 with XR6 at $36,990... With the incentives they run on XT they are typically dearer then XR6... Must be cheaper to build XR6's ???

Theres a reason they do it.. Brand image / appeal... Im not joking.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #159
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
Why must every FG2 thread be turned to babble?
maybe because people feel the need to start one every 2nd week. bossxr8 already had one running before this one started.

the cost of living is higher than ever so i wouldn't consider discussing the price as 'babble'. some may have been looking forward to purchasing a mk2 only to find that the RRP is considerably more than they were expecting. some are hoping that the pricing is an error. either way, it promoted discussion.

there's not too much more info available so people are just talking 'falcon' and its merits or lack thereof.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #160
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Why would you deserve the same discount as someone who'd buy much larger quantities?

You can tell how your post is irrelevant if you consider that the I6 in the FG is more economical than the previous iterations with less power.

This is about efficiency. Making more from less, or the same - If they can do so then why shouldn't they? I've shown how it's a possibility in my previous post.
Plus with a properly matched turbo the torque should start quite low in the rev range, which would mean getting up to speed quicker and then cruising. Then you have the drop in weight that will be the biggest aid in fuel consumption.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #161
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im personally pretty happy! Was looking at a FG F6 and decided against it to keep my BF II F6. And with these new prices (if they dont change) looks like it won't be taking much of a dive on resale now!

Chins up boys!

For the average punter like me, the BF and FG are too alike to warrant the change over - talking base model falcons, xr6s. And now the new prices (here's to hoping ford dont root themselves and DO fix the web sites pricings) people won't change.

My family aren't car enthusiasts and they honestly dont know the difference between BA/F/FG, and they think Holden are better. If my mum wanted to upgrade her AUIII it'll be soley on price. Hello Holden.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #162
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then we would have people whinging about a $45,000 XT when they can buy an XR6 Turbo for $40,000.

XT is a waste of time... The only people who buy it is government (police cars) and a handful of old timer fleets who want 16 inch alloys for country roads (thats the only reason they buy them!).

I can't see FG2 XT doing any better, Ford won't push it... If they had any idea they would price them at $32,990 with XR6 at $36,990... With the incentives they run on XT they are typically dearer then XR6... Must be cheaper to build XR6's ???

Theres a reason they do it.. Brand image / appeal... Im not joking.
I guarantee you when FGII hits, you can forget about $36,990 XR6 specials unless you want FG 1

XT has an important role to play, and maybe that is securing even more fleet sales with LPG and EB versions,
I just feel that if were smart they could load XT, call it something elae and still preserve XR6's pricing.
Ecoboost in both XT and G Series could also be a way of creating a new niche of private buyers
looking for something better than the normal run of the mill Mid sized cars out there.

I'll agree, most people would walk past XT and buy XR or G Series but only because Ford mishandles XT.
Your idea of $32,990 special is interesting and may give Holden International a bit of curry..
LOL, most of the XT,XR6 and G series are similar under the skin, probably similar build costs too,
I just see promise in using all three models judiciously but Ford needs to spice XT a bit more.
(Offering only 16" wheel options on XT is wrong)

Last edited by jpd80; 02-11-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #163
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Funny how a holden forum has a thread on the FGII, and they like it.
Here on AFF, there are soooooo many negative feelings.
Go figure
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #164
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Funny how a holden forum has a thread on the FGII, and they like it.
Here on AFF, there are soooooo many negative feelings.
Go figure
Mate you could wave a magic wand over the FGII and say
Abra cadabra make everyone think this is the best car
in the world and this lot will still pick the daylights out of it
Mind you would be interesting to see what type of car they
design, you could heat your tea while having a shower when
your stuck in traffic. All I know is I would need to win lotto to buy it.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #165
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
maybe because people feel the need to start one every 2nd week. bossxr8 already had one running before this one started.

the cost of living is higher than ever so i wouldn't consider discussing the price as 'babble'. some may have been looking forward to purchasing a mk2 only to find that the RRP is considerably more than they were expecting. some are hoping that the pricing is an error. either way, it promoted discussion.

there's not too much more info available so people are just talking 'falcon' and its merits or lack thereof.
my second line explained what i was referring to that time around, have a read again. FG2 threads go severely off-topic.

and on your second point, again if you'd read all my posts from the start, you'd see i already commented on the RRP being high.. and that wasn't my point as i stated.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #166
XXX747

I wonder how much the projecter lights will be. I want to get some for my FG mk1
XXX747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #167
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

in july 2002, commodore was selling 8000units, now they are what? 3500? stop being so one eyed. falcon was selling 4700. now they are 1700ish with a a couple of models only just returning to the line up!!

as an aside, corolla sold
Nothing one eyed about it, the sales are crap. But looks like il be adding a sale in January. As long as these prices arnt real :-)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #168
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Why would you deserve the same discount as someone who'd buy much larger quantities?
I'm with what Dimka100 had to say on this earlier. Excessive retail pricing of new models shuts down many early adopter retail sales and is unduly advantageous to big corproate customers, who then often turn them over and dump large quantities of second hand stock on the market at the 3 year point and the savage resulting depreciation any early retail adopter experiences turns them off the next model update, its a vicious cycle and seriously exacerbates the ownership cost of Ford Falcon's for the average customer.

Perhaps its time we turned the question on its head, why should retail customers subsidise big corporate's ownership costs ? What's fundamentally wrong with for example Honda N.Z's sales model where everyone pays exactly the same price regadless of whether they're buying 1 vehicle or 100 ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #169
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have we all forgotten that most models have more standard equipment now??

Eg. XR6 now comes with 18's ($1,500 option), Colour Screen ($1,000) Option, Side Airbags ($500 option) and Reverse Park assist ($500) all standard? Thats $3500 of extras that we had to once pay for.

At the end of the day we will see simliar discounting on FG2 pretty quick, but you have to remember your getting a fair bit more car now! The FG2 XR6 is alot nicer then the old model!

I may go for a G6E ECOLPI next year instead of the GT... I love the GT and all but its not very cost effective as a daily driver, I can see the benefits of the LPG cars.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #170
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:

Eg. XR6 now comes with 18's ($1,500 option), Colour Screen ($1,000) Option, Side Airbags ($500 option) and Reverse Park assist ($500) all standard? Thats $3500 of extras that we had to once pay for.
But thats normally the case with model changes, historically things like Cruise control, power windows, passenger airbag, different spec autos etc filtered through the lower ranges.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #171
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
But thats normally the case with model changes, historically things like Cruise control, power windows, passenger airbag, different spec autos etc filtered through the lower ranges.
Im not sayign the new cars are going to be $3500 dearer in the above case, I would say $500 - $1000.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #172
Rodge
Banned

Quote:

At the end of the day we will see simliar discounting on FG2 pretty quick, but you have to remember your getting a fair bit more car now! The FG2 XR6 is alot nicer then the old model!

I may go for a G6E ECOLPI next year instead of the GT... I love the GT and all but its not very cost effective as a daily driver, I can see the benefits of the LPG cars.
But that's a natural progression across the motor vehicle industry its just that most manufacturers don't ask more money for them.

There's a lot to like with the vehicle option you've mentioned especially at Australian LPG prices, its almost a no-brainer and I reckon they'll go pretty hard. It would be nice if they were priced realistically.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #173
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
But that's a natural progression across the motor vehicle industry its just that most manufacturers don't ask more money for them.

There's a lot to like with the vehicle option you've mentioned especially at Australian LPG prices, its almost a no-brainer and I reckon they'll go pretty hard. It would be nice if they were priced realistically.
Yes and if they had the 18 inch wheels on them... I dont want 17's I will try and get my dealer to swap them when the time comes... Otherwise ill buy another Diesel Territory...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #174
Rodge
Banned

Can't help but wonder how strong those liquid injection LPG cars will go with a little re-programming of the PCM. Best thing about the new FG2 is the new liquid injection models IMO. Big car comfort and Ford Focus running costs
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #175
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can't help but wonder how strong those liquid injection LPG cars will go with a little re-programming of the PCM. Best thing about the new FG2 is the new liquid injection models IMO. Big car comfort and Ford Focus running costs
i dunno Rodge, gas is a bit less tolerant of lean outs i think, i`d be a bit wary of playing with the factory gas set up, i`m sure someone will though , this imo is the reason we may not see a boosted eco lpi from the factory(but i could be wrong).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #176
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i dunno Rodge, gas is a bit less tolerant of lean outs i think, i`d be a bit wary of playing with the factory gas set up, i`m sure someone will though , this imo is the reason we may not see a boosted eco lpi from the factory(but i could be wrong).
Im hoping its already pretty well tuned from factory as I thought Ford are simply underquoting power and torque?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #177
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's with people's obsession with bigger wheels and lower profile tyres? They produce a firmer ride, and are more prone to damage if you hit a pothole ... or a kerb, for that matter. Australian roads aren't renowned for being silky smooth, either.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #178
Rodge
Banned

I think that's a very pertinent question. An earlier post suggested the G6ET now fitted with 19 inch rims and tyres was some justification for part of the price rise as 19 inch rims and tyres were previously quite an expensive option, BUT what percentage of people elected the 19 inch wheel option and don't the 18 inch wheels and tyres give a better balance between ride comfort and control more befitting the character of the G6ET ?

Have driven a G6ET on 18's and 19's and I would definitly go for the 18's on that car. Saying that the 19 inch wheels looked really stunning, maybe the answer to the question is a big part of the apparent obsession is about style.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #179
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
I think that's a very pertinent question. An earlier post suggested the G6ET now fitted with 19 inch rims and tyres was some justification for part of the price rise as 19 inch rims and tyres were previously quite an expensive option, BUT what percentage of people elected the 19 inch wheel option and don't the 18 inch wheels and tyres give a better balance between ride comfort and control more befitting the character of the G6ET ?

Have driven a G6ET on 18's and 19's and I would definitly go for the 18's on that car. Saying that the 19 inch wheels looked really stunning, maybe the answer to the question is a big part of the apparent obsession is about style.

Of course it's about style. It's something Holden has been onto for years and years.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #180
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I peed myself laughing this morning when a Commodore ute came whisting past me into Lilydale and just about had to stop to go over the train tracks and he got upset when I just whistled past him in the inside lane 30km/h faster but still in the speed limit :-)

This was the whole lowering stupidity.... But the rim size thing is beyond a Woman's Day style fashion joke, it craps me off that FG F6 comes with 19s standard, wish it had 18s like my BF.