Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #151
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^obviously he's never been here, considering "teatree" is spelt ti tree, and to do alice to the rock in under 2 hours he would have had to average over 225, i very highly doubt that could be done in a camry anyway

10 hours to darwin is possible, you only have to have an average speed of just over 150 to do it...not that i'm defending him, and personally i wouldn't waste my petrol or money driving to darwin anyway, no offence to anyone, but i don't think it's that great
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #152
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
^^obviously he's never been here, considering "teatree" is spelt ti tree, and to do alice to the rock in under 2 hours he would have had to average over 225, i very highly doubt that could be done in a camry anyway

10 hours to darwin is possible, you only have to have an average speed of just over 150 to do it...not that i'm defending him, and personally i wouldn't waste my petrol or money driving to darwin anyway, no offence to anyone, but i don't think it's that great

Well said.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #153
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

back on the topic of the speed limit, in the end it's not going to make any difference, as has been said, if anything it may make the death problem worse with tourists, etc trying to sit on 130, and then they will forget the limit of 110 on the lassetter highway, and if the gov't really thinks about it, most of the deaths that are single vehicle roll overs probably aren't even travelling at 130 let alone more than that, they just need to learn to drive better
Old 06-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #154
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I may be wrong, but I had a V6 camry vienta as a company car. I think that they had a governer set at 180k. But like I said, I might be wrong. That car felt un safe at 140, let alone 225. But maybe he was in a different car. Those speed's/distances are do-able, but not in a camry, and not without taking huge risks. Especially on the Lacetter hi way.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #155
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Your full of it..I lived in the Territory for sixteen years, you figure it out and when you decide to recant then post.

Until then your a tool.
A tool that lived in the NT for 9 years longer than you..
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #156
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh

My spellings not perfect, but I will not loose any sleep over that.

You guy's should take a V6 camry for a drive,
This took place with about a 97 model V6 wagon, it would sit on about 240 (still had more to go) and felt good doing it.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #157
kempster1

With all the waves I have made, I will not even talk about the trips we made as apprentices between Darwin and Katherine or the the race's home to Katherine from Darwin after the drags or speedway on a Saturday night.

I will now step out of this thread.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #158
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I remember some rather quick times from Darwin to Katherine!
But it depends on what you call Darwin... Palmerston, or in the city! :P
Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #159
kempster1

Berrimah lights was all the starting or ending point back in the old days.
I think it was replaced in recent years with Noonamah.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #160
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You people are arguing with a self confessed camry driver and expect to win?
You are trying to use sense, logic, physics and mathematics to support your position?

What? Are you crazy?

In the camryverse, the laws of physics are different to our universe. Time is relative and doing 240km/h means that the time it takes you to do 240km in one camryhour and can be anything up to two and a half normal hours.

A shorter measurement of time, the camrysecond, is also different from our second as all camrys can, from a standing start, travel 400 camrymetres in less than 12 of them.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #161
kempster1

Is that a metric or imperial camry second?

Camry driver, not Camry owner...
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #162
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Did a trip up to Alice recently for hol's but the AU only got to 180kph's and thats all it wanted to do.....and me as well! The Mrs kept saying, when I went over 120k's mind you (from Vic), "Are you sure you are aloud to go this fast?" When a cop car past us that I never saw coming in my rear view, travelling at god knows and giving me a hell off a fright, the reponse was, "Oh, I suppose its OK then?" Best trip ever and glad I did it when we did. Gods own up there. Shame the g'ment is starting to go 'Bracksy' on you's all!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #163
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Outback - let us know if anyone ends up printing vinyl stickers, T Shirts, pens, coasters that sort of thing.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #164
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
But it is these towns, Aileron, Ti tree, Daly Waters, and the like, is where the accidents happen. The common thread is the sale of grog and as you said, black fella's. They either walk out on the highway ****ed as newts or get into their beat up old cars and head down the high ways. It is these places that Jodeen Carney has said she will post 110 limits. And I agree with here. Clare wont do this in those areas for fear of upsetting her "support base".
Outback
Your a man I have alot of respect for due to some of your opinions on a few subjects that we agree on.
Out of the three town's you have noted above only one has a speed restriction.
Aileron is off the main road and has been ever since the highway went to two lanes (early to mid 1980's) and Daly waters is 4 kms 4 kms off the main highway also.
Also Daly Waters is about 400 kms north of the area I was talking about.
You have to slow down for Ti Tree as it is the only police station between alice and tennant.
I am now out of this debate (I will try anyway)
Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #165
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Outback
Your a man I have alot of respect for due to some of your opinions on a few subjects that we agree on.
Aileron is off the main road and has been ever since the highway went to two lanes (early to mid 1980's) and Daly waters is 4 kms 4 kms off the main highway also.
You have to slow down for Ti Tree as it is the only police station between alice and tennant.

One day we may meet and I will take you Tennant to The Alice in half your alleged best...in an xy.

Your paying for the Avgas!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 07-11-2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #166
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done alice/yulara in about an hour twice (once each way) and that was in a non turbo six cylinder of about 1976 vintage.....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #167
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Outback
true, Aileron is off the main road by about, at most, 100 meters. There is a nice little pub there that is combined with the petrol station. Any day of the week there are "black fella's" camped out the front between the pub and the Stuart Hiway. A very dangerous situation. I didnt say that there were speed limits there, but there should be. Daly waters has two pubs, about 5k ? from each other, one on the corner of the stuart and carpentaria hiway. That little pub (god bless it) is right on the hiway, the other historic pub is also close to the hiway....... I cant remember if these area's have limits ot not, but they should...... There is always the chance of a very un steady person walking out onto the hiway....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #168
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have done alice/yulara in about an hour twice (once each way) and that was in a non turbo six cylinder of about 1976 vintage.....
I,m very impressed...... :eclipsee_ single or twin ???
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #169
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK...flappist you are borderline to me calling you out...recant what you have said The Alice to the The Rock is absolutley impossible with what you have said.

And just for info The Aileron Roadhouse is owned by Greg **** and he is a very good driver and even he would not make The Alice to The Rock in an hour.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #170
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lmao, considering to do that you would have to sit on 450+km/h, unless you had a huge fuel tank that you could do 450km with sitting on that speed
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #171
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
OK...flappist you are borderline to me calling you out...recant what you have said The Alice to the The Rock is absolutley impossible with what you have said.

And just for info The Aileron Roadhouse is owned by Greg **** and he is a very good driver and even he would not make The Alice to The Rock in an hour.
I think that his 1976 vintage 6 cylinder non turbo might have had wings........ literally.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #172
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather travel from Alice to Darwin at 200 + then go from Mount Isa to the Territory boarder at 110, you want to talk safety this is a national hiway and at times you barely fit a cruiser on the bitumen. The territory has some of the best roads in the country and considering the number of intoxicated indigenous people driving less than road worthy vehicles their road toll is relatively low.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #173
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think that his 1976 vintage 6 cylinder non turbo might have had wings........ literally.
Not quite as far in a straight line. And a looney mooney gets along if you ask it nicely........
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #174
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The majority of queenslands regional hiways are 3rd world at best, but the government would never concede this because it costs money to maintain and improve roads where as speeding tickets generate income.Speed is not dangerous, not driving to conditions is dangerous. I would be infitnitely more comfortable doing 180 in a late model falcon on good roads than 60 in a datto 180b on a shoddy wet road.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #175
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given the size of forums such as this and many others it would be interesting to see what sort of political lobby group or even political party could be generated to support our lifestyle. Its all fine and well to complain about the government but without some sort of consolidated voice we really can't achieve much. I know I'd be keen to pay a reasonable annual figure to an organisation which could potentially protect my interests. (Kind of like unions used to)
Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #176
fmc351
let it burn

RACV,Q whatever is larger and arent having as much impact as they should.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 AM   #177
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Outback - let us know if anyone ends up printing vinyl stickers, T Shirts, pens, coasters that sort of thing.
Goooday .... I am in the process of organising some weather proof 90mm X 90mm bumper stickers.... But when it comes to designing things I am a total moron. I started a thread asking for suggestions, but didn't get many responces. So I am sitting down with my daughter and son to try to come up with something catchy..... I hope to sell them (at cost) via ebay and forums like this. Word of mouth is all that is affordable.

I am VERY open to suggestions.....
Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #178
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Not quite as far in a straight line. And a looney mooney gets along if you ask it nicely........

OK flappist you got me good..I shall now recant what I said...did'nt even think of that bugger!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #179
kempster1

Quote:
true, Aileron is off the main road by about, at most, 100 meters. There is a nice little pub there that is combined with the petrol station. Any day of the week there are "black fella's" camped out the front between the pub and the Stuart Hiway. A very dangerous situation. I didnt say that there were speed limits there, but there should be. Daly waters has two pubs, about 5k ? from each other, one on the corner of the stuart and carpentaria hiway. That little pub (god bless it) is right on the hiway, the other historic pub is also close to the hiway....... I cant remember if these area's have limits ot not, but they should...... There is always the chance of a very un steady person walking out onto the hiway....
Outback
Do not let a Daly Waters local hear you calling the pub on the highway "Daly Waters", they will tell you quick smart that it called Highway Inn.
It is a fine watering hole.
The Daly Waters pub (oldest operating licenced pub in the NT) is about 5 kms of the main road.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #180
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Hi all, thanks to a very clever AFF member, I am getting bumper stickers made up. They will read "Wake us up when we get there, Clare.
They will also have a 130 with a red cross over it. What do you all reckon.

They wil be about 3 bucks each.