proud member of the MFCC

Default Re: Melbourne hail storm

feel sorry for you guy's at least your cars are still driveable
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #154
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford wont be selling the damaged cars as brand new ones... Most of them will be fixed and used internally... the others will be sold to dealers with the notation that they are factory hail damaged... They cannot sell to the public without this notation (on new vehicles), as per why they will use a fair chunk of them internally then sell as used ex FORD demos.

Yes they can do little repairs with no issue (door dints etc) but cars which are hail damaged and covered by insurance cannot be sold as BRAND new... The public outcry would be horrendous.

I am suprised Ford does not have hail netting at the plant anymore... Back in the old days parts of it were covered, but not anymore! Hopefully FPV put all their cars away in the factory over the christmas break!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #155
bodgyvr
I used to own a commodore

We got doubly hit - both our territory and falcon were damaged (and the deck roof and garage roof had holes punched through laserlite).

Neither cars seem to be too serious, so both will most likely be repaired after they're assessed etc in a few months.

The frustrating thing is that we have a new baby due in March and need a 7 seater, so were about to put the Terri on the market.

Oh well..

Driving: Hyundai Iload
Mercedes Viano

Used to have:
BF Mk2 Futura Wagon in black
SY RWD Territory Ghia in red
SX RWD Territory Ghia in black
EB Fairmont Ghia V8 wagon
bodgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #156
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

1. when we bought the G6ET in SA we asked if the car had any previous hail or water damage
answer was no, and that they actually have to declare to the buyer if it has (whether this is true i dont know)

2. i can believe some people do not have insurance

3. aami sux *** (got nothing but a run around with them)
go thru them once and they say i have to use the repairer they say which was 50 kms further away from my house and we also knew they were bodgey bastards, and yep the results were crap from that repairer, use them a second time and they told me i could use whatever repairer i wanted.
go figure
so they got the flick, cant be trusted imo

4. good luck with the repairs and write-offs guys and gals
hope it all works out positive
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #157
Ringo
I see you....

Reported wife's car damage to AAMI the other day. Not able to be assessed until Feb and in Airport West which is miles away from us. Frustrating but what other choice do we have?

I just have my finger crossed they write it off because we where going to trade it in this year anyway and its worth more as a write off than as a trade.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #158
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I just spoke to a panel shop in Epping and he mentioned something very interesting. AAMI are sending around some of their blokes to the panel shops to do hail damage reports. What happens is the customer turns up with the car at the selected shop and two quotes/reports are done up. One is done by the panel shop with regards to replacing and/or repairing the stuff that can't be done by PDR, and the hail report does the stuff that can be fixed by PDR. What this does is it speeds up the whole assessment process. Had I not known about this, I would have had the car sitting at the assessment centre for about a week whilst they cleared the backlog. This way, the car spends an hour or so there, they look at the reports, I drive it to the panel shop, cab comes and takes me to the rental place and I get another Craprolla for a week or so

I'm about to go to this particular panel shop in an hour or so to get both quotes done. I'll post up my findings.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #159
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Grand total to fix my car is $7,700. PDR on the roof and boot and replace the bonnet. Now, what the panel shop bloke told me is if there is even a slight deformity on the roof (knowing how bad the two biggest dents are), he will replace the roof panel (which would bring the repair up to $10k).

All I need to do now is when the car is at assessment, they look at the reports, I insist they use this guy (I did some homework and they do good work) and the job gets done ASAP.

Bonus, I get an XR8 bonnet for $550 (difference between the standard bonnet and the XR8 item)
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #160
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

I use PDR on any dent on any of my cars but i do them myself. Anyway it should be all good charles.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #161
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I just got my car back (pics to come tomorrow).

The insurance mob agreed to the repairs at the panel shop that quoted the repair. I dropped off the car Mon the 16th and picked it up a couple of hours ago.

The panel shop ended up replacing the roof panel as well. The roof and bonnet paintjobs are brilliant, no orange peel at all! The PDR guy also did some good work, the boot is dead flat and straight with no paint damage. The left doors had a few dints but they came out perfectly too.

Oh and the XR8 bonnet... is f...ing awesome!!!
Old 20-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #162
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
I just got my car back (pics to come tomorrow).
I thought your assessment was next week? How did you get it done earlier? I got a quote from my repairer two weeks ago, after their pdr guy had a look at it, they sent it in to Shannons as they would for any Shannons claim but talking to Shannons yesterday I still have to wait until next Wednesday for the assessment, as they still want to look at it.

Really fed up with driving my car around with dents. I used to say good things about Shannons but changed my mind now.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #163
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

It was Silver, but because AAMI were absolutely swamped with assessments, they authorised the repairs based on my initiative to sort quotes out. One less car in the assessment centre is all the better for them. That and the panel shop I used helped to speed everything up a lot.

Oh and I couldn't help myself, I took some shots tonight

Old 20-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #164
ConradP

Looks good as new.

I've got my car booked in on the 17th of feb with Dings and Dents in Broadmeadows, just next door to Ford HQ, hope they do a good job, it's the mob RACV had inspect the car.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #165
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I am very happy with how the car turned out post repairs.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #166
Ringo
I see you....

Mrs Ringo's car was written off on Monday night by AAMI.
Drive in to walk out was 20 minutes....wasn't even close to being repaired.

The assessors looked at her car for about 12 seconds before doing the little shake of the head.

Now getting a cheque and going car shopping.

Mrs Ringo was upset about letting go of her car (this was only the 3rd car she has had in 18 years) but we did have the option of buying it back if we wanted to for $2k.

The car hasn't been running so well in the past 6 months and it needed at least $1k in work to be done to it over the next 12 months as it was getting past 130,000k's and 'the list' was getting longer so it was not hard to say "we will take the cash"
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #167
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

What sort of car does Mrs Ringo drive?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #168
z80
Banned

As soon as they write your car off ring VicRoads and cancell the registration.

Then buy the wreck and re-register it.

if it's registered when they call VicRoads then you'll need a VIV to get it off the written off register.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #169
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

if it's registered when they call VicRoads then you'll need a VIV to get it off the written off register.
Is this true? Why is this the case?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #170
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Wrong. You do not need a VIV for hail damaged cars if written off. You simply keep the car and the rego but you cannot get insurance until it is fixed (maybe able to get third party though).
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #171
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Is this true? Why is this the case?
It's a contentious issue as to why you need a roadworthy, then a VIV inspection, then a high risk inspection at VicRoads.

RWC $88
VIV $600
Insp $44

I've just done it on a hail damaged car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy
Wrong. You do not need a VIV for hail damaged cars if written off. You simply keep the car and the rego but you cannot get insurance until it is fixed (maybe able to get third party though).
Wrong am I?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #172
ConradP

I want to find out how long they will have my car for :( But cannot get in contact with the people repairing it.. no one seems to want to answer their phone..
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #173
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
It's a contentious issue as to why you need a roadworthy, then a VIV inspection, then a high risk inspection at VicRoads.

RWC $88
VIV $600
Insp $44

I've just done it on a hail damaged car .

Wrong am I?
Wrong you are ...... if you are in Vic and you just had a VIV on a hail damaged car

From the Vic Roads website ...............

Quote:
The Minister for Roads has exempted vehicles that sustained only cosmetic hail damage in the 25 December 2011 storms and were recorded as repairable write-offs on the Written-off Vehicles Register, from the requirement to get a Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) certificate in order to be registered or maintain registration.
This means that a vehicle recorded on the WOVR with cosmetic damage caused by the direct impact of hail stones will not need to be repaired provided the damage is cosmetic only and doesn’t compromise a vehicle’s safety systems or structural integrity.
If the vehicle has sustained hail damage and any other form of damage (e.g. water or other accident damage), you will still need a VIV certificate and Road Worthy Certificate (RWC) for the vehicle to be registered but won’t need to get the cosmetic damage repaired.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #174
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Wrong am I?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #175
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Lol @ Stallowned

I have also had a car damaged in the hail storm, and have just been paid out by AAMI and got to keep the car and rego. Rang Vicroads to make sure as I didn't really trust what AAMI said and they confirmed no VIV required or rego cancellation.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #176
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy
Lol @ Stallowned

I have also had a car damaged in the hail storm, and have just been paid out by AAMI and got to keep the car and rego. Rang Vicroads to make sure as I didn't really trust what AAMI said and they confirmed no VIV required or rego cancellation.
Hi Mate

How bad was the damage on your car and what was its mkt value?

Reason I ask is my mates car was assessed (AMMI insurer) in Airport West and we could have sworn it was going to be written off

Admittedly it was assessed by a PDR mob.....as if they would turn down work

I found that a little disconcerting to be honest!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #177
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Wrong you are ...... if you are in Vic and you just had a VIV on a hail damaged car

From the Vic Roads website ...............

Buying a hail damaged car at the damaged car auctions and you still need a VIV.

Which is what I did.

If a hole was made in the windscreen and rain got in you need a VIV.

A bit like saying a carpark dent doesn't need a VIV.....
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #178
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
What sort of car does Mrs Ringo drive?
Sory for delayed response - 2000 Celica. was worth $13k but had dings in every panel. They made a decisionn in a flash.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #179
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Buying a hail damaged car at the damaged car auctions and you still need a VIV.

Which is what I did.

A bit like saying a carpark dent doesn't need a VIV.....
Again ........ Sorry but dont want to make out you dont know the rules or anything or what is required but just finding it all NQR and do hate the wrong information on the Forums. (If there is evidence otherwise am happy to be corrected as always) Have been involved in a couple of cars that were damaged by hail and 1 that has bought ...... again I will take you to what VIC ROADS state on buying a hail damaged car and re registering it .....

Buying an unregistered car that apppears on WOVR ..... (Vic Roads)

Quote:
The Minister for Roads has exempted vehicles that have only sustained cosmetic hail damage, based on the damage codes recorded on the Written-off Vehicles Register (WOVR), from the requirement to obtain a VIV certificate. In addition, you will not have to repair any cosmetic damage caused by the direct impact of hail stones provided it does not compromise a vehicle’s safety systems or structural integrity. A RWC will be required to register the vehicle as per current registration practice.

If a vehicle has sustained hail damage plus other damage (for example water or accident damage), based on the damage codes recorded on the Written-off Vehicles Register (WOVR), a VIV certificate and RWC must be obtained for the vehicle to be registered. However, you will not have to repair any cosmetic damage caused by the direct impact of hail stones provided it does not compromise a vehicle’s safety systems or structural integrity.
And again ..... just to make sure ............. (VIC ROADS again)

Quote:
The Minister for Roads has granted an exemption from the usual requirement to undergo a VIV inspection when a vehicle in the 25 December 2011 event is recorded as a repairable write-off and has only sustained cosmetic hail damage, based on the damage codes recorded on the Written-off Vehicles Register (WOVR). This exemption will also apply for any vehicle in the 6 or 7 March 2010 events that is recorded as a repairable write-off and has only sustained cosmetic hail damage (based on the damage codes recorded on the Written-off Vehicles Register (WOVR).

In all other cases, a VIV inspection is required if the vehicle has been declared by an insurance company as a repairable write-off. A vehicle can be written-off for a variety of reasons and circumstances. A vehicle may be purchased second hand that has been re-birthed during its history, or had previous damage that has not been repaired properly. The WOVR and VIV inspection are designed to deter vehicle theft. A VIV inspection is required to re-verify the vehicle’s identity and confirm that the damage which caused the vehicle to be on the WOVR has been repaired to manufacturer’s standards.
It does not matter if you are buying an unregistered car from the auction or back from the insurance company ...... that is how it stands. I have highlighted the areas to make things a little bit clearer .....
Quote:
That is a totally different story to what was discussed if rain got in due to a hole ....... refer to the above. I highlighted and under lined it. If that is the case then you didn't tell the whole story on why the car needed a VIV and it actually was required for other reasons.
Quote:
A bit like saying a carpark dent doesn't need a VIV....
..... your not saying a car park dent needs a VIV???????

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 11-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #180
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Again ........ Sorry but dont want to make out you dont know the rules or anything or what is required but just finding it all NQR and do hate the wrong information on the Forums. (If there is evidence otherwise am happy to be corrected as always) Have been involved in a couple of cars that were damaged by hail and 1 that has bought ...... again I will take you to what VIC ROADS state on buying a hail damaged car and re registering it .....

Buying an unregistered car that apppears on WOVR ..... (Vic Roads)

Previous to the hailstorm damage on 25/12/11 it didn't matter whether it was cosmetic or not, once written off you needed a VIV.

No matter how many times you post the same thing I did get it the first time....

Since the hailstorm of 25/12/11 COSMETICALLY DAMAGED written off cars don't need a VIV.

My understanding is still that all cars purchased at damaged car auctions require a VIV to prevent the rebirthing phase.

So I disagree with your conclusion.

Last edited by z80; 11-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.