Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #151
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: April VFacts.. Falcon !!!!!!

I can see what's going to happen here. There's going to be a run on them and because Ford have only estimated 2000 sales p/a they're going to get caught flat footed with stock and engine supply.

Please don't let it be so

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #152
bossgreg
Starter Motor

Smile Re: April VFacts.. Falcon !!!!!!

I'm pleased to say that my new car is one of the 1009. Very happy!
bossgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #153
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I can see what's going to happen here. There's going to be a run on them and because Ford have only estimated 2000 sales p/a they're going to get caught flat footed with stock and engine supply.

iv'e missed something?

if there a run on them thats a good thing!
at least ford will know they are going in the right direction, and can take orders.

build to many; well you know the answer.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #154
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

With European volumes down, then I don't imagine the engine is volume limited out of Valencia. Just got approx. 4 week delay for delivery, if there is a "run"
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #155
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pom
With European volumes down, then I don't imagine the engine is volume limited out of Valencia. Just got approx. 4 week delay for delivery, if there is a "run"
But wouldn't they need to be built to spec? The Falcon ecoboost would have unique build specs to the others wouldn't they?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #156
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
But wouldn't they need to be built to spec? The Falcon ecoboost would have unique build specs to the others wouldn't they?
I think the whole plan with One Ford is that they are not unique. The Mondeo and Falcon versions are different, but i believe the Falcon version is almost identical to the Explorer version.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #157
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'm just curious as to why Ford is only intending to build around 2,000 Ecoboost falcons between now and December..
I'd would have thought that the car would sell way more than 250 per month, maybe low numbers are now spooking them...

Maybe Ecoboost is another engine now in short supply globally......
I agree 100%... You've also got to figure some (pick a number) will just replace I6 customers, so the additional increase to sales number can only be small for this year. I wish they’d back this a bit harder. Hopefully they know what they are doing!!

I wonder how quickly & how much extra stock they can get if Ecoboost takes off?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #158
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'm just curious as to why Ford is only intending to build around 2,000 Ecoboost falcons between now and December..
I'd would have thought that the car would sell way more than 250 per month, maybe low numbers are now spooking them...

Maybe Ecoboost is another engine now in short supply globally......
Cause they know basically no one will know it exists, cause they will be doing bugger all to promote it.

I really don't know why they bother releasing new models but then set them up to fail by not backing them like they should.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #159
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is their any dealers on here that maybe can provide some early read on Ecoboost sales? Has anyone sold one yet??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #160
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Ford making 2000 cars a month is still moving 2000 x and average of what $35000 = $70 million a month, or getting up near $1 billion turnover in a year. Its still not small bikkies.
Yeah, its just a pity that it costs $90 million/month to run the show.

Both Ford and Holden [NOT Toyota] can ONLY build cars here because the GovCo keeps tipping in OUR money [tax] to keep them afloat

Australia is about the worst place on the planet to manufacture anything, its a fact, get over it.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #161
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I agree 100%... You've also got to figure some (pick a number) will just replace I6 customers, so the additional increase to sales number can only be small for this year. I wish they’d back this a bit harder. Hopefully they know what they are doing!!

I wonder how quickly & how much extra stock they can get if Ecoboost takes off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Cause they know basically no one will know it exists, cause they will be doing bugger all to promote it.

I really don't know why they bother releasing new models but then set them up to fail by not backing them like they should.
After thinking about the questions I posed regarding Ecoboost quantities, I've come to the opinion that
Ford is completely lost as to what the market wants in a big car, they seem to be going through the list looking
for some model, some form of efficiency that wil boost sales- after all that's why Ford spends cash on new engines..

I wonder with sales so low now that any increase in either Ecoboost or diesel if tried would only serve
to underscore the very rapid move away from not only large capacity six cylinder engines but large cars in general.

Maybe the market is telling Ford what they want...or more properly what they dont want but I'll reserve judgement
until after Ford announcements either next month or July...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #162
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Yeah, its just a pity that it costs $90 million/month to run the show.

Both Ford and Holden [NOT Toyota] can ONLY build cars here because the GovCo keeps tipping in OUR money [tax] to keep them afloat

Australia is about the worst place on the planet to manufacture anything, its a fact, get over it.
Australia spend the least amount of money on the industry...

Australia $17.80
Germany $90.37,
Sweden $334
US $264.

I think the industry is doing well considering our government has little regard for it.

Further more, the money that the government poors into the industry, it gets back...with intrest on top...think about that one before you tirade!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #163
prydey
Rob

i'm sorry, but holden and ford produce near identical cars in that large segment, so saying one is building cars people want, and the other isn't is a bit puzzling. i'm the first to admit that commodores sell because they are holdens, end of story. if the badges on the bonnet were opposite the sales figures would also reflect that. i've asked many cruze owners if they would've considered buying a daewoo and they all turn their noses up. the holden badge works wonders in australia.

falcon was down just under 300 sales on the previous month although april was a short month due to easter shutdown. i'm assuming holden shut down for a similar amount of time but commodore sales were down 1000 give or take. just because their numbers are higher, don't be fooled into thinking they aren't suffering the same fate.

on a side note, the names of thefirst 250 odd businesses on the carbon tax list were released recently and toyota is on there. surely that will be the beginning of the end for them. whats their local plant produce? maybe ford and holden will be on there as well, but they weren't on that list.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #164
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Further more, the money that the government poors into the industry, it gets back...with intrest on top...think about that one before you tirade!
in taxes alone..
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #165
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Australia spend the least amount of money on the industry...

Australia $17.80
Germany $90.37,
Sweden $334
US $264.

I think the industry is doing well considering our government has little regard for it.

Your telling others to think, before writing something's. The figures you claim are not in the ballpark. $17.80 x 22 million for Australia comes to circa $400 million. The only problem with that is that Australians pay over a $billion each year in import tariffs (government assistance), they get hundreds of millions in cash each year, and they get preferred supplier status (hidden assistance). They get alot more than $17.80 per person in assistance. And for the same reason your Aussie figures are wrong, so are they for your other figures.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #166
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Lets hope may is a good month for FoA and they can get some ecoboosts on the road
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #167
BP'93

Do we have break-down figures for Holden, VW, Toyota & Hyundai models?
BP'93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #168
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP'93
Do we have break-down figures for Holden, VW, Toyota & Hyundai models?
Falcon and Commodore aren't the only ones to be down..

Camry 1602
Aurion 629

Quite surprising since bot of those Toyotas are new models
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #169
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'm sorry, but holden and ford produce near identical cars in that large segment, so saying one is building cars people want, and the other isn't is a bit puzzling. i'm the first to admit that commodores sell because they are holdens, end of story. if the badges on the bonnet were opposite the sales figures would also reflect that. i've asked many cruze owners if they would've considered buying a daewoo and they all turn their noses up. the holden badge works wonders in australia.

falcon was down just under 300 sales on the previous month although april was a short month due to easter shutdown. i'm assuming holden shut down for a similar amount of time but commodore sales were down 1000 give or take. just because their numbers are higher, don't be fooled into thinking they aren't suffering the same fate.

on a side note, the names of thefirst 250 odd businesses on the carbon tax list were released recently and toyota is on there. surely that will be the beginning of the end for them. whats their local plant produce? maybe ford and holden will be on there as well, but they weren't on that list.
what has a badge got to do with anything?
try putting warranty on a car first then see if it sells!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #170
stevz
Banned

Quote:
i've asked many cruze owners if they would've considered buying a daewoo and they all turn their noses up. the holden badge works wonders in australia.
Except your question is stupid and pointless because the Cruze is not simply just a Daewoo with a Holden badge as you would like to think. It is a global vehicle with the majority of development and engineering work done in Europe, US and Australia.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #171
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Im actually quite impressed with the Falcon numbers. Given the market direction these days.

Trying to sell a large sedan to private buyers is like trying to sell ice to eskimos.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #172
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
what has a badge got to do with anything?
don't be so naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Except your question is stupid and pointless because the Cruze is not simply just a Daewoo with a Holden badge as you would like to think. It is a global vehicle with the majority of development and engineering work done in Europe, US and Australia.
you're a regular sherlock aren't you.

it is sold in other markets as a daewoo and until recently was imported from korea. do you really think the sales would be the same if they sold them here under the daewoo badge. seriously??

if people think that australians don't have some sort of affiliation with holden then they are kidding themselves. if falcon was badged as commodore and vice versa, do people really think the sales would be the same for each car?? of course not!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #173
stevz
Banned

Quote:
it is sold in other markets as a daewoo and until recently was imported from korea. do you really think the sales would be the same if they sold them here under the daewoo badge. seriously??
I'm well aware of that, however you were implying that it was purely a Daewoo with a Holden badge, which is incorrect as it was a globally designed and engineered car jointly developed by several GM brands. It is sold under each region's respective GM brand, being Holden in Australia, so why on earth would they sell it here as a Daewoo? Besides, the Daewoo name has been defunct for years, it is now GM Korea.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #174
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, however you were implying that it was purely a Daewoo with a Holden badge, which is incorrect as it was a globally designed and engineered car jointly developed by several GM brands. It is sold under each region's respective GM brand, being Holden in Australia, so why on earth would they sell it here as a Daewoo? Besides, the Daewoo name has been defunct for years, it is now GM Korea.

Give it up...

He is not talking about who built it...

There is no denying the fact if the cruze had a Daewoo badge on it, sales wouldn't be as high.

People buy it for the badge.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #175
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Give it up...

He is not talking about who built it...

There is no denying the fact if the cruze had a Daewoo badge on it, sales wouldn't be as high.

People buy it for the badge.
If a Falcon/Territory/Focus/Fiesta had a Daewoo badge on them they would probably only sell a fraction of what they do now too! If they had a Toyota badge they would probably sell triple...

What's your point?

Brand recognition and reputation is a major factor in all consumer goods.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #176
BHDOGS
Banned

Ah yes the idiots who will buy something because of the name on something truly the greatest scam ever.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #177
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
What's your point?

Original statement

Quote:
i've asked many cruze owners if they would've considered buying a daewoo and they all turn their noses up. the holden badge works wonders in australia.
Your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevs
The point is, someone made a just observation, and you got all crazy.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #178
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Back on topic if we can.

The first set of graphical data has now been uploaded into the Tech Portal.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #179
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go back 5 or 6 years ago and it was absolutely true that manufacturers could not effectively build small cars in Australia,
not even Toyota had the scales of economy to make that happen, so what changed with Ford and GM to make that happen?

There are many parallels with Cruze and Focus, Cruze started off as mainly an Opel designed and Daewoo assembled vehicle
but then evolved on the run into a vehicle suitable to wider global applications like North America and of course Australia.
Along the way, GM picked up huge scales of economy by commonizing, design, build process and most importantly, supplier networks

Similarly, Focus began as a European car but was hastily thrust into a global role by Jack Nasser who insisted that
North America give up the Escort (Laser) and adopt the Euro Ford but rushed US development saw painful problems emerge
and rather than progress to C1 Foocus, FNA stayed with evolitioned C170 because their cost structure and bargain basement
image prevented them from asking better prices for what was seen as a stripper vehicle and a CAFE offset for big cars.

Mulally changed all of that with this model, all stake holders were in at the redesign stage, meaning this evolution has
the same efficient qualities of process, design, manufacturing costs and supplier networks that make it affordable to
build in the US and by inference, other parts of the world like Australia.

What am I getting at?
The recent old days of saying that cars cannot be built in Australia at a profit
is now out dated paradigms because of a shift on three fronts:

1) consumers wanting efficient small cars that are well appointed and
2) Customers prepared to pay higher prices for fuly loaded vehicles
3) Small loaded vehicles are now built with same features found in large cars.

People ask, how can Cruze be built in Australia at a profit?
That question is also loaded with prejudice of past cost structures and buying patterns,
Cruze and Focus selling patterns now show that the bulk of sales are mid and high
series vehicles compared to around 8-10 years ago when small cars were mostly
base models with a spattering of mid and high series buyers.

So while Holden does not appear to make as much money off Cruze as it does off Commodore,
Holden is freed of the total on going design/development cost burden associated with Cruze
combined with increased sales of mid / high series vehicles that attract higher prices and profit.

While Ford chooses to maximize production efficiency by sourcing Focus from Thailand,
i think that the manufacturing of global platforms in Australia is not only possible but
also necessary for Ford's long term standing in Australia and not doing so will inevitably
cede even more of their market share to Asian car makers who will gladly take it.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #180
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Back on topic if we can.

The first set of graphical data has now been uploaded into the Tech Portal.

Cheers
Russ
all the 'falcon is rubbish' members should have a read. all 3 models in the large segment have fallen at similar rates, showing that it is the segment that is dropping still and not the fault of any one particular model.