Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #181
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden closes in 2017 official announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
So we will now see Nissan Altimas and BMW M3s going round and round mount panorama?!
better still, Malibus and Mondeos....
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #182
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Holden closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What is the AMWU going to represent now that there is no manufacturing industry?

Yes, I'm an AMWU member.
I bet the AMWU officals will still be employed, probably give themselves a pay rise - whilst "supporting" fewer people
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #183
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I know people talk about economic deflation as being a bad thing, but it's the artifical inflation that causes prices to get out of hand. Perhaps a deflation in the economy will bring it back to equilibrium, allowing economic growth to happen again. I think this is especially true in a global economy. The only other way you could protect your local industries is to end economic globalization (abolish FTAs). Perhaps each country would be better off just looking after itself rather than trying to compete across borders? Just a thought.
Deflation is on its way. In the long run it will be a good thing, but there will be pain.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #184
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
Do you think Holden is closing for real or is it possible they are positioning themselves for a better handout, just a thought.
Devereux said at his press conference today that GM has made a decision and that it is irreversible.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #185
Oldbugger

As someone who has spent 40 years in the industry it sadden me that after 2017 there will be no new Commodores or Falcon.
As a child l remember the excitement of getting the latest copy of Motor Manual to check out the latest test drive of a new Holden, Ford or Valiant. Bathurst 1st week in October for bragging rights on Monday. My first days at work to see the not yet released XA going down the line. The many releases of new model Fords and how they compared to our opposition. The despair when a launch when wrong and the warm feeling when we won awards.
Life goes on but I wonder what we will be buying in 2020 when we have no locally produced vehicles to purchase. Maybe it's a sign of the times when a GT-E less than 6 months old couldn't attract a buyer at substancially less than 60K at the latest sale. We move to a different beat in 2013. I hope we don't live to regret it.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #186
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM is closing a plant in Canada in 2016, I wonder if it is a similar situation to here.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #187
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You just cannot blame just the unions, economy, sales, Australian dollar has played a big part into the demise of car manufacturing here.

What you people do not realise is that there are other manufacturing industries on the verge of collapse, steel industry will be next.
Completely agree with you mate. I just feel (from an outside perspective) that it was the cost of manufacture and the unions constant push for higher wages (no matter how noble the gesture) was the straw that broke the camels back.

If the cost of everything goes up as fixed cost, that leaves wages as the only flexible item that is in people control. (You cant do anything about the Aussie Dollar, nor govt policy etc).
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #188
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
What a sad day. Who would have thought 20 old years ago they'd be a day without Falcons & commodores in Australia!!! What the hell went so wong??
The loyalists were Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. The gen Ys are less traditional. Gen Xers wanted what their parents had, gen Ys tend to want to break away from that. Car trends are changing. Rising fuel prices have been pushing people into smaller, more efficient cars, or more versatile (small hatches, SUVs, and midsize utes). The large sedan segment has been shrinking and becoming less relevant. The auto industry is becoming more globalized with emphasis on cheaper manufacturing and fuel economy. Family sizes are shrinking, creating less need for larger cars. Seriously, we're that surprised?
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #189
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
The fault lies solely with successive Australian Governments, both sides!

Those fools have methodically reduced protection and tariffs on the imports, all in the pursuit of their flawed holy grail of "Free Trade Agreements".
And yet we all enjoy cheaper consumer goods like TV's, DVD players and any other electronic gadgets you can think of, you can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont View Post

The situation is simple. The government stopped purchasing Aussie made cars a number of years back. That is a big hit to the local auto industry. The
I think you'll find that the Labour government that you so faithfully support was in part responsible for that, was it the 4 Cylinder Falcon or the LPG Falcon they knocked back because it wasn't "Green enough"?
Tony Abbott on the other hand absolutely loves his Ford Territory, he has raved about it publicly quite a few times, he just can't get enough of it.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #190
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The sad part is that with the strengthening American economy, our dollar could well be down around 70 cents US
by the time Ford, Holden and maybe now Toyota manufacturing leave our shores.

Successive, stupid and totally inept governments completely undervalue the worth and contribution of this industry,
this is a case of ultra right wing anti-subsidy philosophy destroying a whole industry sector - well done our politicians..
Most credible economists believe the AUD will be very strong way into the future ( thanks USA and QE) but volatility will take it down from time to time obviously. On balance my view is that politicians from both sides have probably extended the sectors life span as long as possible but I guess its futile saying that on such a crap day.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #191
Dodge
i like to be stroked

so what is the line up on bathurst going to be? Merc, volvo , bmw and chrysler
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #192
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What is the AMWU going to represent now that there is no manufacturing industry?

Yes, I'm an AMWU member.
Construction and resources.

There will always be construction.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #193
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Why would they bother, nobody would even go to watch.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #194
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now is the time for our governments to be pro active, both state and federal, and the sooner Abbott gets replaced with Turnbull the better otherwise they will be a one term government.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #195
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Profoundly sad news. The new VF looks like a good bit of kit and I have been warming up to the idea of a new HSV Senator or HSV GTS next year, (I have been keeping that pretty quiet till now), but can't see any point in writing yet another big cheque and buying a pending orphan now.

As a Kiwi over the last 15 years I've bought 7 brand new Austrlaian cars, most have been very good, quite why Australians seem to by and large have abandoned buying their own cars is something I struggle to come to terms with to be honest.

My BF2 Typhoon and my current SC GT-P especially stand out as an exceptionally good bit of kit. I am very fortunate to also own a top of the line Euro so I know how well the FPV cars stack up on an international comparitive level, not from a technology perspective granted, but they do the core functions of performacne, handling and braking very, very well for the money.

Quite why Australians thought their own cars arn't up to scratch and showed such a low level of loyalty, why the unions didn't take a more pragmatic approach, why your Govt entered into such a blatantly one sided so called "free" trade agreement with Thailand, why the Govt both at a Federal level and state level didn't encourange a more Australain made vehicle buying policy, I find difficult to figure but when the music finally stops all Australians and Kiwi's will have lost something very special and unique to their culture that goes back over 50 years and we will all be so much poorer for it.

How did it all go so terribly wrong
+1 very good post.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #196
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not all doom and gloom. After 2017 as it now stands, the Toyota Aurion Sportivo will be Australia's flagship performance car. We will still have an Australian made car to lust after.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #197
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It is not all doom and gloom. After 2017 as it now stands, the Toyota Aurion Sportivo will be Australia's flagship performance car. We will still have an Australian made car to lust after.
You forgot the italics.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #198
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
...Ford and holden.

They still need to market cars, if Nissan can see sense in it, im sure Holden and Ford can.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #199
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Pfft. Forget the Asian Camry disguised as the Aurion. The closest thing to an Australian car, let alone a performance car will be a Victa ride on lawnmower.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #200
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
V8SC is already preparing for that with the COTF. Just like NASCAR, A tube chassis with a body stuck on over the outside. It wont matter what cars are sold here in future, the formula is preparing for that i think. From what i have observed over the last three decades, brand loyalty is diminishing with the younger generations. There isn't the same passion for one brand or another any more. Who knows what will be racing in years to come but one thing is certain, Australians are becoming more and more fickle. We seem to want everything yesterday and it has to be bigger and better each time around. V8SC will have to evolve to keep up, certainly much quicker than our own manufacturers have or the market will leave it behind also.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #201
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I think one of the most disappointing things is the way Holden have handled the situation, just yesterday Mike Devereaux stated that there were no plans to exit, however, its obvious this plan has been in place for a while, and GM were waiting too see the outcome of the election.

What I would really like to know is, were Holden seriously chasing a Government co-investment to continue here, or were they just after money to help set-up a shut down...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #202
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the old saying "You don't know what you've got until it's gone," will sadly ring true in the years ahead.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #203
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Now the fun begins; the blame game. Its all the governments fault according to the unions and all the liberals fault according to Labor. Who knew Abbot could destroy what was apparently a successful and profitable industry in just 3 months according to unions and Labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Why would they bother, nobody would even go to watch.
I dont know I think BMW, Volvo and Merc do alright for themselves...must have some fans...

If they were genuinely interested in it, unlike Mercs current involvement where it has next to nothing to actually do with Mercedes it'd provide some exciting racing for a change instead of just SuperTaxis. But Holden and Ford will still be involved, they're still selling cars here post 2016/2017.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #204
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast we potentially have a new model to keep us interested, it doesn't look like that will be the case for the commodore.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #205
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well I am Gutted...yes, with a capital G!

I mean, it was always going to happen one day, but I never imagined this day would come so soon.
Over the years I have often argued against the notion. Perhaps I just thought they'd always be there, they have been since I was born.

I was born only 500m from the front gate, grew up in the next suburb and as a child, would eagerly await the next new model, one day dreaming of working on the line and driving a product I could be proud of.

My Brothers and Sisters worked there on and off over the years and so when I left high school I applied for a position in the body shop. I was so close to getting the nod, but alas, it never came. I applied another 2 times over the years, but the old knees couldn't hack the medical. It wasn't meant to be.
Half of my class went on to work at Holden, lucky prix.
You'd think if anyone would be happy today it would be me, not so.

See, I understand the part that Holden plays in the micro economy that is Playford. It has been the backbone of the place for decades.
Other industries have come and gone, James Hardie and Levi's to name a few, but Holden has just always been there, resilient, strong, proud.

It is unimaginable to think of the fallout of this and the sentiment in the area.

Tonight was my Daughters Primary School Graduation Ceremony. You'd think the talk would be about the stylish suits and the stunning dresses, but it wasn't, it was shock and concern at the news.

These are the reactions of families and mortgage holders who rely on Holden and the surrounding industry for their hard earned.
I imagined that one day my own kids would get a crack at it.
I'm sure anyone who was born and raised in Geelong or any other car manufacturing town would attest to the pride associated with working for a car giant, and its affect on the local community.

Sadly these days are over.
Occasionally I drive past Tonsley Park and shake my head, now that image is on my doorstep.

It seems kind of strange, in hindsight, that I should became a Falcon man , and Falcon will have a special place in my memories for life.
But I want to thank General Motor's Holden for being a massive part of my Community for so long. For their contribution to local sports, for their sense of belonging and identity that they have given Elizabeth.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #206
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said BENT 8 and we ar'nt even there yet......Its BIG NEWS like this that causes recessions and possibly even depressions because it scares people and they stop spending money and keep it the bank instead...

I seriously dont know where all the workers are going to go come 2017?

And I dont know what the countries econmony is going to be like either?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #207
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...51063457863776
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #208
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Maybe too the masses...but they don't know about them. I aspired to a G6ET. Best comfort/performance car south of 100k probably in the world...not just Australia. I have mates who now know and understand this....but they are happy spending a large chunk of their lives driving depressing imports.
The Aussie masses do know what’s about and what is good value for their needs and dollar and have spoken regardless of what enthusiasts think.

My brother-in-law in the US recently bought a new MY2014 AWD E63 AMG - 5.5L biturbo V8 - 430kw (3.9sec/0-100) for just over $90,000usd. I’m still tingling after taking it for a drive.

The G6ET is good but not that good, I know which car I’d own if I could get it for under 100k.

The only people to blame for the demise of the local industry are those who designed, built and marketed the vehicles that did not attract enough customers to be viable. Everybody else was just caught up in an unwinnable situation.

Sad day for enthusiasts as our affordable local performance cars are all but gone.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #209
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
There isn't much Abbott can do whilst the ALP/Greens stonewall everything in the senate, or has that basic fact escaped you?
It's not like he brings anything useful to the table anyway. He is just fishing for votes for the next election like all politicians. They don't care about us!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #210
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
I think you'll find that the Labour government that you so faithfully support was in part responsible for that, was it the 4 Cylinder Falcon or the LPG Falcon they knocked back because it wasn't "Green enough"?
Tony Abbott on the other hand absolutely loves his Ford Territory, he has raved about it publicly quite a few times, he just can't get enough of it.
I never said I faithfully support Labor. If anything I have stated I believe both parties are pretty useless. The last job I had, I did maintenance work in buildings the government were/are renting. Why is it, even under lib rule when you go through the car park of govt plated cars, there are just as many imports as there are local cars? It doesn't matter who started it, the matter is neither did anything to change it.

The fact Abbott own a Territory, well good luck to him as I don't care! I am a firm believer that Australian politicians don't care enough to resolve issues like the Holden and Ford saga properly or early enough for that fact. The only thing that matters to them is how will they get in to power again rather than how can they benefit this country for generations to come.
Closed Thread