Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #181
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if i had 800+ i would buy it. and i would only retore it mechanically. then i would drive it atleast once a week so i can appreciate it. whoever buys it is one lucky bloke because they are getting one rare ho!
Old 22-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #182
classic XT
stocker!!!!

Great story and pics! thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 22-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #183
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

Its just gobsmacking owners who have these type of musclecars put some highway driving k's on them and later deciding to lock them up in their shed and only much later down the track they open the doors to their shed one morning knowing that this car is worth a XXXX amount of dollars compared to what it was worth when they first bought it!

Who would of thought over 30yrs plus down the track these cars that ruled the roads and the track there market value would be in ferrari's/lambo's playground!!

Despite now these cars are an investment/collector as for what there worth, is it worth forking out xxx amount of $$ and all these other questions raised its very debatable for sure but in my opinion for there prices there fetching is getting slightly ludacris but nonetheless its definetely....................!!!!!

*CLASSIC NOT PLASTIC*

Howard Marsden -They were at time rated supposedly as the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

Bill Bourke - Part of the GT that changed the auto industry of australia, i would say one word, exciting it added excitement to the industry.

-GTHO P3
Old 22-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #184
1970galaxie
Fat 460

There were two very interesting stories at the GT Nats over Easter.
One was that a restored HO was given an offer of quite a bit over the $800K, and knocked back.
The other, was also of a "barn" find XY GT (not HO). Not licensed since 1983. Was offered over 4 times the purchase price when found recently.
So, it goes to show that people will offer and pay good money for that right gem.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
Old 22-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #185
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

: is it with people on here comparing or even mentioning Ferrari's and Lamborghini's. This is all about Aussie Muscle and very rare Aussie Muscle at that. Lets leave the plastic ***** out of this thread.
Old 22-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #186
GT-E

I have read this thread with some amusement.
A few people here have NFI about investments. The GTHO is not a car now, but purely an investment that should be locked away and kept out of the public eye.
Also it cannot be compared to other current cars like Ferrari's or even houses as they are not a good investment.
Nobody complains when a Picasso is sold for $50million, so it should be expected that a unique GTHO WILL SELL for over a million dollars very soon.
I just wished I never sold my R/T Charger for $8k 10 years ago.
Old 22-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #187
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

its good to see the old girl in such good nick... paint is still shiny and interier is clean.

i pretty much learnt to drive in my brothers XW GT and i must say that it was about the most inspiring car i have driven. just seemed to have a real personality .and not a pig on the road.

people always told me i should just buy GT instead of spending all my cash on modifying basic models but i knew that i would not be satisfied with a standard car and i did not want to be the one to wreck an original GT. with the money i spent in the `80s - `90s i could have bought a few GTs at the time. :

my other brother had a XY gt that was factory with no stripes ......swaped it for a second hand base model XD , thats what having kids does to you i guess.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 23-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #188
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Awesome stuff nicholas, Thaks for that.

I remember when a mate of mine had, in the earlys 90's, a complete set of, His words, "production" GT's, incl HOs and a GT Capri. He sold them ALL when the EB GT was released, He was ****ed he could not afford the EBGT at the time and would then not be able to boast he had a complete set.......
He's even more ****ed he did it now. :
Old 23-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #189
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
I absolutely love that colour.

What is it - Track Red?
to tell the truth im not sure,i think it is.
cheers Nick
Old 23-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #190
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vermilion fire??

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 23-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #191
Gunns
Banned

Dam thats one nice car and is worth the $$$$$$$
Yes well I know where there are XY 2 GTHO's and 1 GT sitting in a shed and he is now cleaning one up for sale. (he wants to retire).
Old 23-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #192
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Ud be suprised at how good it would come up with a good detail! :
very true, when i worked as a car detailer....... some of those looked a whole lot worse than this ho, and they came up very well, im assuming from the pics it will come up very well with some tlc
Old 23-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #193
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it might be cleaned up by now these photo's were taken when it was first uncovered after years of sitting
Old 23-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #194
madmatty
dipstick

Thanks for the pics nicolas.great read.dont let the knockers put you off.
Old 23-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #195
billyb35

Great find. I would love a GT-HO but wouldn't in my right mind pay 800K for it. Neither would I seriously "invest" in a classic car - the only market is other enthusiasts with too much money.

Curiously, what's it insured for and does your mate's Dad even realise what insurance cover he has? It would be a very interesting litigation with the insurance company to get them to fork out 800K if it were stolen or destroyed.
Old 23-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #196
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb35
Great find. I would love a GT-HO but wouldn't in my right mind pay 800K for it. Neither would I seriously "invest" in a classic car - the only market is other enthusiasts with too much money.

Curiously, what's it insured for and does your mate's Dad even realise what insurance cover he has? It would be a very interesting litigation with the insurance company to get them to fork out 800K if it were stolen or destroyed.
probably one of the reasons why its been sold at this time, but not my place to say anything as im no insurance expert.its well over $800,000 already,
so i doubt anyone would cover these for agreed value now, if you knew my friend and his family you would realise stealing it would involve lots of pain
Old 23-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #197
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons will insure it for market value, they just need to see the car and verify it.

Old 23-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #198
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still can not believe that some people here think that it is a waste of money to spend on just a car. I say if you have it and can afford it, then go for it. If they come down in value in years to come then bad luck to the purchaser but if the value of these cars continues to rise in the future, then all the better for the purchaser. Sometimes it is more than just about money, especially if you have already made it.

Good luck to the current owner and thanks nicholas for sharing those remarkable pics.
Old 23-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #199
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Great topic, despite the usual idiotic responses we see each time a HO appears on the market. Thanks Nicholas.

I was wondering if perhaps members sigs could be altered to look something like this:

[Member name]
I am [16] years old
------------------

Waddayareckon? : ) At least we'd know which responses to ignore...

Squalo
[37]
1969 Kombi
Old 23-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #200
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
I was wondering if perhaps members sigs could be altered to look something like this:

[Member name]
I am [16] years old
------------------

Don't put all the "Younger members" in that category! :
Old 23-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #201
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
ive known about it for a while but was reluctant to say anything because last time i mentioned 5 HO's in a big shed i had all sorts of crap flung at me on this forum, and yes i know of 5 HO's hidden away in the one shed and have been asked not to say anything about where they are by a friend.you can bet there is others hidden away all over the country, the trouble is now that they are worth so much some of the stolen ones will start appearing too.i am always extremely suspisious of cars with tags removed no matter what reason owner gives.
Hmmmm perhaps we know people in common...I have heard of someone with GT's in a shed umongst other things like valueable old Kenworths in Vic. Same person perhaps?

The person that told me wouldn't tell me where he went to see them....

At the end of the day GT's are a rare, sought after, iconic car of Australia's motoring past....they don't make em like that anymore.

Its not $800k for a car.....its $800k to own a piece of history.

The only people knocking are the ones who didn't buy one in the early 80's when they weren't worth anything.

Does make you wonder about the value of the XB GT's doesn't it.
Old 23-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #202
Gas N Go
Oils ain't oils!

3 Things you have to remember.

1. Its a piece of motoring history.
2. Its a fantastic car.
3. Its a sensational investment.

If i owned it (sure i can only dream) i wouldnt hesitate driving it every weekend like i do with my XBGT! 800k doesnt put a smile on your face like pulling up at the lights and getting the thumbs up from fellow admirers! The car was meant to be driven! And drive my car i shall
XBGT - My baby!
Old 23-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #203
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

people pay millions for busted AR$E paintings and old guns and violins so why shouldn't it be worth this, some people forget that something is worth what someone is prepared to pay
Old 23-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #204
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

A phase 3 GTHO is a piece of australian touring car history, that left a legacy for the type of performance cars we no and love today,and should be worth what any one is willing to pay for them,the fact that we still compare modern day performance cars to them says something in itself,and anyone who wants to rubbish them obviously no's nothing about ford's performance car heritage.
Old 23-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #205
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
3 Things you have to remember.

1. Its a piece of motoring history.
2. Its a fantastic car.
3. Its a sensational investment.

If i owned it (sure i can only dream) i wouldnt hesitate driving it every weekend like i do with my XBGT! 800k doesnt put a smile on your face like pulling up at the lights and getting the thumbs up from fellow admirers! The car was meant to be driven! And drive my car i shall
///////////////
I only have a very poor Faker XY that is a rattly pig to drive yet i drive it every chance i get and it turns heads every where it drives or parks,you feel like king of the road and its a great feeling,i cant wait till its all sorted and painted,trouble is now ive registered it i cant seem to find time to work on it.
lol
Old 23-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #206
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sec 3V XT
A phase 3 GTHO is a piece of australian touring car history, that left a legacy for the type of performance cars we no and love today,and should be worth what any one is willing to pay for them,the fact that we still compare modern day performance cars to them says something in itself,and anyone who wants to rubbish them obviously no's nothing about ford's performance car heritage.
Well said.

Old 23-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #207
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
Great topic, despite the usual idiotic responses we see each time a HO appears on the market. Thanks Nicholas.

[Member name]
I am [16] years old
------------------

Squalo
[37]
I think thats a bit ridiculous and goes to show that supposed "young people" are not the only ones that make idiotic comments. You wouldnt be the lady from the APIA ads would you? lol

Once again, its a great car and would make a few people very happy. If I had a lazy $800k sitting around doing nothing I'd buy it too, but not if I had to scrimp and save for it.
Old 23-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #208
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I think Squalo's idea was tongue in cheek :

There are many young blokes on the forum who appreciate these cars for what they are.
Old 23-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #209
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Once again, its a great car and would make a few people very happy. If I had a lazy $800k sitting around doing nothing I'd buy it too, but not if I had to scrimp and save for it.
the unfortunate scenario is that the average person who has a passion for these cars will no longer be able to afford to own one as the cashed up 'investors/collectors' have drivin up the market value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
There are many young blokes on the forum who appreciate these cars for what they are.
like me...almost finished my xy fairmont resto. :hihi:

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 23-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #210
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZSXY
like me...almost finished my xy fairmont resto. :hihi:
You should start a thread in the projects section.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Closed Thread